Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off right now: the new touchpads Dell is using. They're all one piece, instead of separate buttons and pad. I mean, I hate touchpads on principal, but I've had a couple of users complain about them, and I was about ready to take a hammer to one when I had to use it briefly. Do they loving suck, or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

On a conference call between me in the US and some clients in AU/NZ. Someone on the conference is doing the dishes and no one is saying anything (including me cause its hilarious.)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off right now: the new touchpads Dell is using. They're all one piece, instead of separate buttons and pad. I mean, I hate touchpads on principal, but I've had a couple of users complain about them, and I was about ready to take a hammer to one when I had to use it briefly. Do they loving suck, or is it just me?

What models are you talking about? All the recent Latitudes I've worked with still have the pad + two buttons thing. Wondering if I should avoid purchasing a particular model.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Those are the exact kind of touchpads that convinced us to never buy Lenovo again. Absolutely cannot stand them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume it's the new precision touchpad they are putting on the XPS line.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Alighieri posted:

On a conference call between me in the US and some clients in AU/NZ. Someone on the conference is doing the dishes and no one is saying anything (including me cause its hilarious.)

This is me. Every conference call I'm on I have someone in the background either: doing the dishes, speaking Chinese very loudly, or eliciting wonderful super-loud taping noises packing boxes. Someone usually mentions after 10-15 minutes though.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes. My favorite: Some douchebag sales guy went out and bought a hooker for a client and expensed, my company gladly reimbursed this business expense until the sales guys wife called up questioning what the charge was on their statement. This then led to a whole series of revelations including the fact that accounting had been covering up this poo poo for a while and hiding it from the federally mandated disclosure forms. The sales guy was not fired, he brings in money. The head of accounting who knew about this and fully supported this was not fired, he is an integral part of the companies leadership. Instead the poor payroll person at the bottom of the totem pole was fired for following her orders on charges that she might have not even know what were for. gently caress marketing/sales.

When I worked in a international UK bank the head of the corporate relations for sales of the part i worked in wined and dined his clients at a strip club and put it on the business credit card. When he submitted the expenses claim to justify the expense (non-expensesd lines would get automatically taken out of your pay) the person inputted it recognised the name of the club and told their manager, who told the head of finance of the division, who told the director of the division. She spent over an hour yelling at the sales guy and told him in no uncertain terms that that was not kosha. he was to eat the bill himself and got an official written warning for conduct (that is one more gently caress up and your sacked under UK employment law). So of course he just paid for the dinner instead and the clients paid for the strip club.

He later got the "Do you want to resign or be sacked?" for trying to expense a set of golf clubs for all the golf days he had to go on.

Don't feel sorry for him as he was a real oval office and used his dead mothers blue badge until it expired.

Siochain posted:

This x 10000000. gently caress Macs. Yes, they're fine, but gently caress Macs. gently caress the people that BUY Macs and insist they are "better" for nebulous reasons. gently caress the people who bought a $200 walmart special PC and then upgrade to a $3k mac and go "OH BUT THE MAC IS SO MUCH FASTER". Well the gently caress you say? Of course a goddamn loving Corvette (insert random domestic performance car here) is faster then your dads old beat to poo poo Yugo.

OSX is easier to use in a home setting than Windows is although Windows 10 is getting very close. For work your job says you need to be able to use a Windows computer so learn to use a loving Windows computer. If part of your job was to use a forklift then you should know how to use a forklift and not just shrug your shoulders and say forklifts are magic and I don't know about them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes.

We had a $10,000 password reset. I posted about it before.

Edit: Found it http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=450596166&forumid=22

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes.

My boss is who verifies new accounts with us, makes sure they're not fraud, etc. He also wrote our TOS.

So a sales guy comes up to our cubes and asks "so yeah, what are our rules on racist websites?" We ask him what the hell he's talking about and he elaborates: "so yeah, they host this site called Stormfront, and it's really racist, but they're going to pay us a bunch of money!"

Holy gently caress how does your brain work like that. :psypop:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Siochain posted:

This x 10000000. gently caress Macs. Yes, they're fine, but gently caress Macs.

Unfortunately the problem is more likely the entire old, "cheap", and badly designed infrastructure that Windows survives upon. If you had a DMS and everything was a webapp then it wouldn't matter whether anyone used a Mac, PC, Chomebox, etc. I'm sure there has to be a good way to spin that around to discourage Mac usage a bit, although it should be directed at getter better IS services.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My boss uses a Mac. He's not an rear end in a top hat about it or anything though. He didn't make the company buy it so who cares.

However, any time someone mentions Android (even just like "my phone is Android") he goes on like a 10 minute rant about how he used to use Android and couldn't stop loading ROMs so that is why android is bad. Plus, with the iPhone/iPad/mac/apple watch, he can be anywhere and answer the phone from any of them! It's so great!

It's not like I'm mad or anything, I just find it strange. It's like the "macs are just BETTER" argument, but only a tiny part of it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What models are you talking about? All the recent Latitudes I've worked with still have the pad + two buttons thing. Wondering if I should avoid purchasing a particular model.
I have an Inspiron and a Latitude with them.

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume it's the new precision touchpad they are putting on the XPS line.

Sheep posted:

Those are the exact kind of touchpads that convinced us to never buy Lenovo again. Absolutely cannot stand them.

Yeah, I'm not even sure what to do, now. Most of the employees use them with a mouse, but the Lenovo one of the partners insisted on getting had that touchpad and I literally banged on it like a caveman at one point, because it was so loving obnoxious; it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the Lenovo ones, but not far from it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Okay every customer ever,

When you email me with your issue the first thing I am going to do is ask for a support case number. If you don't have a case number, I am going to tell you to open a case.

The reason why I do this is because when you open a support case you are asking our global fleet of support engineers for help. When you send me an email you are asking a single individual for help via what amounts to a passive medium.

Opening a case also puts all of your information into a thread that is readable by everyone in support everywhere in the world and keeps the flow of communication limited to a single thread.

As your Enterprise TAM, I get notified of every single case you open and get a page for every urgent or critical case. I then monitor the progress of the case and can step in should the case start going sideways on you. 98% of the time it doesn't.

This is a very efficient system that works for hundreds of thousands of cases opened across the globe every year.

So please:

Open a loving case.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not pissing me off: Every engineering server is now running Cent7 with firewalld and selinux.

I got rid of 4, 10 year old shitbox servers for a single 1U Dell server with 64gigs of ram and 8TB of space running 4 KVM's.

We now have a brand new rack, brand new UPS' and only 4 servers.

We also migrated all of our VMware instances to KVM as well. It's glorious. :swoon:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 3, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

MrMoo posted:

Does the network guy have a part time position at McDonalds or something? Rogue DHCP servers are trivial to block and has come up in this thread a few times before.

Its literally 3 lines of ACL (depending on your switch OS, but they're all close)

ip access-list extended dhcp
permit udp 172.16.5.50 any eq bootpc
deny udp any any eq bootpc

Apply ACL. Done. We do this by default in our core switches.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets share our favorite stories of marketing/sales assholes. My favorite: Some douchebag sales guy went out and bought a hooker for a client and expensed, my company gladly reimbursed this business expense until the sales guys wife called up questioning what the charge was on their statement. This then led to a whole series of revelations including the fact that accounting had been covering up this poo poo for a while and hiding it from the federally mandated disclosure forms. The sales guy was not fired, he brings in money. The head of accounting who knew about this and fully supported this was not fired, he is an integral part of the companies leadership. Instead the poor payroll person at the bottom of the totem pole was fired for following her orders on charges that she might have not even know what were for. gently caress marketing/sales.

Its a long story but I knew a guy that charged $27k at a strip club to his personal card(he forgot his company card) for clients and the fallout from his wife seeing the statement ending not only his marriage but his boss's(the company owner) marriage. It was a lovely, lovely train wreck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stare:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Open a loving case.

I'm totally there with you. I'm not an account manager, but the named engineer for a specific account, although there are 2 of us. Folks from my customer keep calling and emailing me directly, and I can't really tell them not to, but they don't seem to understand that despite everything I do for them, I'm still a ticket monkey, and if I don't have a ticket then I have nothing to put my time against.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Its a long story but I knew a guy that charged $27k at a strip club to his personal card(he forgot his company card) for clients and the fallout from his wife seeing the statement ending not only his marriage but his boss's(the company owner) marriage. It was a lovely, lovely train wreck.

Go ahead, we have time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So, one of groups has a big stack of Cisco UCS servers that aren't acting like they should. They are supposed to be capturing traffic for logging and sending it out a fiber card they have installed, but this hasn't been working right. So one of the people involved in this is researching the problem, and finds a similar support ticket that says if you having this problem, the fiber card is installed on the wrong PCI-E slot. He mentions this to the consultant, consultant blows this off. He finds in the manual for the card "install in slot 2".

So, I get asked to look at this while he's out, I power the server down and open it up. Sure enough, the card is in slot 1. I pull the card out and notice that while all 3 ports on the server are PCI-E 8x, only one of them is a full length, and the card has 4 pins on the very end and need to go into a slot. So this genius consultant not only ignored the instructions, but apparently thinks the pins on the card are there for show.

To add the final dumb thing, my boss is apparently involved in this shitshow since it runs through some taps, and gets mad that he wasn't informed about us fixing this. Even though at no point has he told us he was.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

go3 posted:

I worked for a Railroad for 20 years, I can tell you with Absolute certainty that there are few better entertainment oportunities than personally witnessing a train wreck.

You Sir, have the floor.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

go3 posted:

What the hell do you get with $27,000 at a Strip Club?

On a side note, a few years back there was a female sales rep who ended up suing her employer for discrimination because her male co-workers didn't invite her out to the strip club when they went to lunch buffet with clients.

She won.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

I've got one of these too, it's poo poo. It's my understanding that they've since reverted back to the older design.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell do you get with $27,000 at a Strip Club?

Laid.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Okay every customer ever,...

If I wasn't certain you weren't our account manager I would be grovelling in apology as our lead devops guy loves to do this but can't see the sweet irony when our customers do this to him

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Serious answer: Bottle service can be up to several hundred dollars per bottle of alcohol, because it's for people who want to act like they're rich. My brother in law racked up a 5 digit bill with his oil field crew in Texas at least once.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our leased line provider wants to charge us for a block of IPv4 addresses. Nothing wrong with that, until they mention that they would provide them using CGNAT. I…what? :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Our leased line provider wants to charge us for a block of IPv4 addresses. Nothing wrong with that, until they mention that they would provide them using CGNAT. I…what? :psyduck:

Can you even still get IPv4 addresses? I thought the final-reserve, absolutely-the-last, pinky-swear blocks were gone?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you even still get IPv4 addresses? I thought the final-reserve, absolutely-the-last, pinky-swear blocks were gone?
You can't get them from IANA, but there are still service providers with unused public IPs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

My boss is who verifies new accounts with us, makes sure they're not fraud, etc. He also wrote our TOS.

So a sales guy comes up to our cubes and asks "so yeah, what are our rules on racist websites?" We ask him what the hell he's talking about and he elaborates: "so yeah, they host this site called Stormfront, and it's really racist, but they're going to pay us a bunch of money!"

Holy gently caress how does your brain work like that. :psypop:

How do those guys make money anyway? Advertising? Gift shop? :stonk:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

And yet if you ask these people they will otherwise completely insist they know nothing about computers, but swear on their mother's grave Macs are better. They're functionally identical to a PC in the user experience (for twice the price) and a complete headache on the backend unless you have built the infrastructure for it and don't rely on domains or exchange.

Thanatosian posted:

The literal only reason I use a Mac as a software developer is that the trackpad is super awesome. I haven't been able to find another brand of laptop that comes even close to being as good. All my work gets done in linux VMs anyhow so the host system barely matters at all.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: Canada. It's not IT related, but it's probably some stupid loving system on the back end.

• I am not a citizen of Canada;
  • I am a citizen of the United States of America, and do not have dual-citizenship status with any other country;
  • I did not work in Canada during 2013 or 2014 or 2015;
  • I do not now own, and never have owned, any property, financial assets, or other assets in Canada;
  • I have zero income of any kind associated with Canada for 2013 or 2014;
  • I have received no payments from any Canadian legal entity—government or otherwise—during 2013 and 2014 or 2015;
  • I did work in Canada in 2012, and filed the requisite tax returns;
  • My last working day in Canada was 1 March 2012.

And yet, these chucklefuck assholes send me a letter every loving year demanding that I file a loving tax return. I've called, sent letters, sent emails cc'ing my company's legal department.

Is there some process with the US State Department whereby I can file a loving grievance? I'm now worried that if I someday travel to Canada I'll get stopped at the border for unfiled mythical taxes or some poo poo, but I don't want to spend $$$ every loving year filing a $0 tax return for a foreign country.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

fluppet posted:

If I wasn't certain you weren't our account manager I would be grovelling in apology as our lead devops guy loves to do this but can't see the sweet irony when our customers do this to him

I felt the same way about that post...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Migishu posted:

Go ahead, we have time.

Not empty-quoting. :justpost:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Is there some process with the US State Department whereby I can file a loving grievance? I'm now worried that if I someday travel to Canada I'll get stopped at the border for unfiled mythical taxes or some poo poo, but I don't want to spend $$$ every loving year filing a $0 tax return for a foreign country.

Note: IANAL or a tax expert.

Did your income, while working in Canada, come from a Canadian or US source? If Canadian, you're liable I believe. If US:

quote:

If the taxpayer is working in Canada, but for a U.S. company, and is paid by the U.S. company, employment income is exempt from Canadian taxation as long as the taxpayer is not residing in Canada.
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/tax-compliance/how-are-taxes-assessed-for-us-citizens-working-in-canada.jsp

You can also try calling the CRA:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/phn-eng.html

I understand you've probably already done this, but it'll be the best chance.

Also, follow up with your legal department, they might not be doing poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Alighieri posted:

At my last job I handled TV station news clients that called for emergency help with our broadcast gear. We had a guy in California (I'm East Coast) work out of his home Friday->Monday to cover weekends. We had a decent number of clients call in, and it was consistently busy. We'd also save weekend maintenance/upgrades for this guy, since it was off hours for a lot of clients.

The guy did nothing. He'd just forward the hotline to his cell, grab his laptop, and just go out all weekend. Sometimes he'd be at a place with out internet, and just escalate the ticket to me, and tell me it was a critical issue and he couldn't figure it out. I'd log in and it'd just be something simple. It happened all the time. I'd call him to ask what gives and he'd clear be at a barbecue or a concert or something and pretend he was at home. We'd do conference calls with clients, and he'd just be sitting in front of the TV watching football full volume with his kids running around screaming. We'd be on a call with the director of news from CBS or something crazy after they lost a shot from our gear failing and the director would screaming at us, and his kids would just be running around yelling and his wife would be talking to him. He was a pain to work with.

The boss had enough of it and disabled his ability to forward calls, he told him that if he needs to transfer his phone for an emergency he can call him or me and we can enable forwarding. The guy flipped out, I can't be stuck at my desk all day, I need to be able to forward calls. The manager told him "no, that's your job, be at your desk, don't go out. Give me an example of a situation that requires you to forward where you can't just call me to have it done."

The guy says "well if I need to go to the bathroom, I need to be able to answer the phone from there."

Manager says "if you ever answered a client call while taking a dump you are fired."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they have IPs then I am happy to pay for them, I understand there's a shortage. But why would I want a block of CG-NAT addresses, and why would I pay for them?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

feedmegin posted:

How do those guys make money anyway? Advertising? Gift shop? :stonk:

gently caress if I know; I wasn't really in the frame of mind to think about it - I was still reeling from "yeah they're really racist but lots of money!".

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just got a class C 6 weeks ago, no problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Migishu posted:

Note: IANAL or a tax expert.

Did your income, while working in Canada, come from a Canadian or US source? If Canadian, you're liable I believe. If US:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/tax-compliance/how-are-taxes-assessed-for-us-citizens-working-in-canada.jsp

You can also try calling the CRA:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/phn-eng.html

I understand you've probably already done this, but it'll be the best chance.

Also, follow up with your legal department, they might not be doing poo poo.

Oh, I was liable for the income from 2012, even though it was a US employer, but that was paid on time years ago. The problem is that they keep wanting me to file returns for years I didn't work in Canada, literally years after I left.