Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I used Vestal - Arbalest - Hound Master - Hellion against all three tiers of the pounder fight. Basically, the Hellion was on Matchman duty whenever possible (= whenever she went before at least the Arbalest and Vestal and it was guaranteed that if she missed I could still do something about it), while the dog and Arbalest tag-teamed the (marked) cannon. Vestal healed whatever damage the two random bandits inflicted or stunned the dagger guy.

The Hound Master is probably replaceable, Whistle's PROT debuff is never going to land anyway, so you could just take a Bounty Hunter instead if you have one at that level.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I worry about your damage output with that comp, on the cannon itself especially. No Blindfire on your Arbalest means you're likely to have her go last and if you've been clearing out adds as you go, then the Pounder's in Row 1 and you can't Sniper Shot it. Yeah, you have Bola, but the damage on the cannon you'll get from that will be sad times. The Vestal should probably be running Judgment instead of Illumination. I'm also not a fan of the dog man on any of the Pounders, Hound's Rush has a slightly lower accuracy than I might want if I'm rolling the dice on Dodge rolls on matchmen. No bleeding the cannon, either. Man-at-Arms I do like on the cannon, but I would consider slotting Retribution since you're guaranteed to take Blanket Fire. I'll be honest, I think it can work, but I'm doubtful it will.

Internet Kraken posted:

I was gonna give advice on this team but then I realized your asking about the canon fight and I still have no clue what a good strategy for that is. Everything I've tried has either failed or only succeeded after a miserable amount of time. Its the only boss I feel like I don't "get" still.

All I'd say for sure is don't run illumination over judgement. Judgement is a better attacking option as it does more damage and heals the vestal.
I'm aware this team's a little low on power, it's just that given the nature of the fight I wasn't sure how much to worry about it. The Pounder itself takes chump change for damage but does nothing on its own, making the battle more about killing/stunning the matchstick men and stunning/debuffing the other brigands. The Hound Master is probably the most expendable member of this party, but whether luck or math his stun seems to stick way more often for me than it does for other classes.

That said, I'll definitely swap out Illumination for Judgment and possibly Command for Retribution. Dunno what I'll do with the Hound Master but I won't be tackling the boss tonight anyway so I might as well sleep on it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FreeKillB posted:

I need to do something like write 'don't do Champion cove missions without an answer for uca savages' on my palm. I just did it with Vestal-Hway-Hway-MaA and it was a real slog. I brought like half as many bandages as I ended up needing, and there were just too many fights where I was just whittling down the last uca and praying that Arterial Pinch either got dodged or bleed-resisted. If I had piled +stun trinkets on my vestal or MaA it would have been a little less tense, at least. Oh well, at least things worked out okay.

It just took me so long to kill a Bone Defender in my party's first veteran dungeon run that the game penalized me for toying with it and brought in reinforcements.

Guess it's back to grinding the blacksmith up.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Nakar posted:

I mean, I get the idea: Your heroes are getting too strong for the content that you may be comfortable with and the gold curve doesn't let you go into the next tier 100% prepared. I just think there's too much content at each tier (8 bosses!) to progress through it "naturally," which encourages gamey things like "fire everybody over and over until you have the town fully upgraded and tons of gold for an A-Team and all Apprentice/Veteran bosses killed, then start filling out your roster with top-tier champions." Because that's the conservative, sensible approach, when what they seem to want is for you to progress toward the top tier and stay there. Something about it is just off, at least a little bit, and if you play the way they want you to play it's ridiculously punishing... but at the same time you expect that, because you're unprepared... but then the best and most sensible way to prepare feels like cheating the game systems.

This is the kind of thing I was trying to go for in explaining. Through their systems being ridiculously punishing, people naturally try to find the ways to exploit it and make it "gamey". All in order to be as safe as possible, which turns out to be grinding for Trinkets/Gold/Heirlooms setting up complaints about a massive grind despite the game requiring none of it. Seeing the early access progress, especially corpses, they've done what they can to prevent people from doing stuff that "feels like cheating" because that's not what their game is about. It's about loss and difficult situations and "making the most of a bad situation". The game intentionally restrains you through all of its systems (yes, even your roster getting full of lv5/6 heroes when you need to fight a veteran boss to unlock the champion version) and leaves it up to you to make the decisions to try and fix it.

Sure it sounds loving stupid to suggest firing a hero you've sunk a lot of time and money into, even as a design decision (as one guy said I said the dumbest thing in the thread) but that's a decision you need to get comfortable with. If you had to deal with a guy like that for real, it'd be pretty annoying and you might want to fire him despite how good he is at what he does. Do you need him? Do you need to do what you want to do? Maybe it's because it is a video game so the seams are still very visible and abusable so it feels like the game should cater more to being a video game. And for sure it's lame there's no proper new content for your heroes that have advanced too far to dive into without having dealt with both lower level bosses one at a time per region. They should honestly have them both be available at the same time so that at least, when you kill one, you have the option to go for a Veteran boss if your guys get too high level. But they are at least trying to push a theme of loss and discomfort with hard decisions. I mean, at the end of the game the final boss forces you to kill off two guys from your party before you can kill it. I don't think you can get more overt about what your game is about.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
At the end of the day you can talk about theme and atmosphere all you want but it doesn't make it any less tedious to do a whole new team of jerks so that you can get your last guy up a rank.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
For what it's worth, my Pounder party was Hellion/Man-at-Arms/Vestal/Grave Robber for all three tiers and I think it's the fight I "got" the best, though in fairness I think my approach fails Internet Kraken's "not take forever" test. GR daggers the Matchman every round, the stacking + accuracy buff should make it so it never misses and if you use +dmg trinkets, you could guarantee kills every turn. Hellion either cleans up the Matchman, kills Cutthroats or hits the cannon, Man-at-Arms uses Retribution if a Fusilier is alive or whacks Cutthroats or the cannon and the Vestal heals as needed or casts Judgment on whatever's most pressing. I kill everything just to be on the safe side. Takes a long time, but I've never had to sweat a cannon activation.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Maybe if "making the most of a best situation" translates to "take no risks, grind more" if you want to play optimally it's the game that has some issues.

Besides, you need at least 16 people at Resolve 6 for the endgame. That alone is grindy as gently caress.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

"making the most of a best situation" translates to "take no risks, grind more" if you want to play optimally

you need people at Resolve 6 for the endgame.

It doesn't and you don't.

Anatharon posted:

At the end of the day you can talk about theme and atmosphere all you want but it doesn't make it any less tedious to do a whole new team of jerks so that you can get your last guy up a rank.

Dusty Lens posted:

Firing a hero to make room for a crowd in order to take care of a boss that I didn't get in my first sweep where I was accidentally just playing the game doesn't strike me as being the kind of tactical choice the spirit of that rule is alluding to.

You're both right.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Firing a hero because I allowed his afflictions to get out of control and the dude is a hot mess sounds like making the best of a bad situation.

Firing a hero to make room for a crowd in order to take care of a boss that I didn't get in my first sweep where I was accidentally just playing the game doesn't strike me as being the kind of tactical choice the spirit of that rule is alluding to.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

You're bad at this game and should put it down.

Alright I mean explain to me when I'm in a level 5 dungeon with full upgrades on armor, weapons, abilities and a +damage/accuracy trinket on my DPS. What am I supposed to do when I just keep whiffing? Spam -dodge debuffs on the enemies while I take HP/Stress damage?

For real, explain to me what I'm doing wrong. Because I really don't see what else I'm able to do other than stack two +damage/accuracy trinkets and completely forsake deathblow resist/stress relief.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

I used Vestal - Arbalest - Hound Master - Hellion against all three tiers of the pounder fight. Basically, the Hellion was on Matchman duty whenever possible (= whenever she went before at least the Arbalest and Vestal and it was guaranteed that if she missed I could still do something about it), while the dog and Arbalest tag-teamed the (marked) cannon. Vestal healed whatever damage the two random bandits inflicted or stunned the dagger guy.

The Hound Master is probably replaceable, Whistle's PROT debuff is never going to land anyway, so you could just take a Bounty Hunter instead if you have one at that level.

For what it's worth, my Pounder party was Hellion/Man-at-Arms/Vestal/Grave Robber for all three tiers and I think it's the fight I "got" the best, though in fairness I think my approach fails Internet Kraken's "not take forever" test. GR daggers the Matchman every round, the stacking + accuracy buff should make it so it never misses and if you use +dmg trinkets, you could guarantee kills every turn. Hellion either cleans up the Matchman, kills Cutthroats or hits the cannon, Man-at-Arms uses Retribution if a Fusilier is alive or whacks Cutthroats or the cannon and the Vestal heals as needed or casts Judgment on whatever's most pressing. I kill everything just to be on the safe side. Takes a long time, but I've never had to sweat a cannon activation.
Swapping out the Hound Master for the Hellion seems like an obvious choice now that I think about it. The big thing that killed me last time was missing a bunch while eating crits to the face, so the Hound Master was more a pick out of paranoia than the rest of the team which I assembled more sensibly.

I think I've got one Hellion who's too high level and another who's too low, but I'll see what I can do about that. I've got all but the final tiers of the Blacksmith unlocked at least, so nobody should go in there with less than 4/4 equipment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

fennesz posted:

Alright I mean explain to me when I'm in a level 5 dungeon with full upgrades on armor, weapons, abilities and a +damage/accuracy trinket on my DPS. What am I supposed to do when I just keep whiffing? Spam -dodge debuffs on the enemies while I take HP/Stress damage?

For real, explain to me what I'm doing wrong. Because I really don't see what else I'm able to do other than stack two +damage/accuracy trinkets and completely forsake deathblow resist/stress relief.

Level 5 enemies are annoyingly dodgy but there's no way you are missing in every single fight, unless you're game glitched and is spawning nothing but rabid dogs and mad men.

What party comps are you bringing into these dungeons? I can almost guarantee that is your problem. You're probably running teams with little to no room for error, whether it be caused by the player or bad RNG. That's not a good strategy in this game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 3, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Level 5 enemies are annoyingly dodgy but there's no way you are missing in every single fight, unless you're game glitched and is spawning nothing but rabid dogs and mad men.

What party comps are you bringing into these dungeons? I can almost guarantee that is your problem. You're probably running teams with little to no room for error, whether it be caused by the player or bad RNG.

I'm running like 3 party comps that are usually Arbalist/Vestal/Bounty Hunter/Hellion. I occasionally swap in two Arbalists/Hellions/Bounty Hunters if I'm in a stress pinch (which is rare) or a Highwayman if I'm just looking for a little more damage. I'm actually not blown away with the Highwayman late game though. The bleeds are unreliable against the large amount of unholy enemies you sometimes encounter and the rest of the damage (unless your crit is insane) is just middling compared to marking tough targets and nuking them with Bounty Hunters/Arbalists. I have a few Man-at-Arms sprinkled here and there and an odd Plague Bro if I'm looking for sustained backline DPS/Stun. No Houndmasters, Grave Robbers or Lepers. My preference, like I mentioned, is getting a lot of reach into backlines and stacking abilities that do bonus damage against marked targets.

Like I mentioned my characters either seem to crit or whiff. I want to say it's 50/50 but I'm sure it's closer to 65/35. Which when you're just trying to land a killing blow on a guy with 1 hp is absolutely maddening. The way accuracy works isn't portrayed very well on the character profile (light specific dmg/accuracy buffs aren't listed) and the way this works with enemy dodge is also annoying because you can't mouse over enemy stats in battle. Unless there's a hotkey I'm missing of course.

Sure I could just stack +accuracy trinkets on my dudes but then my tank is squishy, my stuns never land and I'll be taking stress damage like loving nuts. Which leads me to say that this game is extremely dice-rolly, even for an RPG. I almost wish death blows were always guaranteed if your characters were at 1 hp and everyone just had _way_ more of it. I should also note this is only in Champion level dungeons. The rest of the game seemed really well balanced and abilities kept up with dodge quite well. But it feels like enemies scaled to a 6th tier of abilities I just can't reach.

e: Fixed some stuff.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 3, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That party comp honestly seems fine if you are running the right skills. Assuming you're actually telling the truth about missing so much, I can only guess you're running guys in dungeons where their negative quirks are giving them terrible accuracy against certain enemies. Like if you run someone with fear of unholy in the ruins they're gonna manage to whiff a ton of attacks because seeing a skeleton fills them with terror. I've barely ever used accuracy trinkets, mainly because I don't feel like there are many good ones. Level 5 enemies are more dodgy than the previous ones but you should still be hitting them more often than not. Again the only enemies I think really have unfair amounts of dodge are rabid dogs and madmen, but neither of those are common.

You're right about this game having more RNG than the average RPG but that's completely intentional. Its supposed to put you in difficult situations more often than you're used too. Sometimes everything goes fine, sometimes you get crit 5 times in a row. Such is life. A good player builds a team that can recover from bad RNG.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Bad Seafood posted:

Swapping out the Hound Master for the Hellion seems like an obvious choice now that I think about it. The big thing that killed me last time was missing a bunch while eating crits to the face, so the Hound Master was more a pick out of paranoia than the rest of the team which I assembled more sensibly.
Fwiw the dog did good work for me. I think marking the cannon and having two people that can take advantage of marks definitely helped. It's just that the cannon is immune to debuffs, so Whistle isn't better than any other mark, and the Hound Master doesn't have particularly high base damage, so a Bounty Hunter or possibly even a Grave Robber would have fulfilled the same purpose better in that fight.

Anyway, the Hellion is great for one-shotting the Matchman, and having two people who can do that at least semi-reliably (camp-buffed Hellion and Arbalest in my case) pretty much makes the fight impossible to lose imo. At least as long as you can keep the two other bandits under control, which the Vestal could do all by herself.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 3, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

You're right about this game having more RNG than the average RPG but that's completely intentional. Its supposed to put you in difficult situations more often than you're used too. Sometimes everything goes fine, sometimes you get crit 5 times in a row. Such is life. A good player builds a team that can recover from bad RNG.

I think I'm just sick of grinding easy dungeons for 5-7 weeks so I can manage all of the quirks, upgrade equipment and skills before I can do other dungeons. Not to mention huge money sinks in disease removal, stress relief and the occasional uber expensive quirk removal (for real 9k to get someone to stop stealing :qq:). I think I just don't have the patience for it, though you're definitely right. A patient, more thoughtful player than me could find success over the long term. But that ain't me I guess.

I think one thing I may have overlooked were the negative Ruins/Weald/Cove quirks that may have been totally messing up my stress/damage/accuracy. Like I mentioned, the character panels don't list context specific buffs/debuffs pertaining to light and location. If I'm tooling my party up and see the accuracy is even or positive, I'm going to run with it. The thing that prompted me to post in the thread was losing 3 of my level 6 heroes to a single round of enemy AoE because none of them resisted death at 66% (I think my Vestal was either slow or stunned). The way character development and planning works is you can really only focus on accuracy, damage, stress, debuffs or healing. I get that the game was planned with that in mind, risk v reward, etc. but in later dungeons too many of those attributes become crucial and if you have a round or two of bad luck RIP your team.

e: P.S. it mad sucks you can't see virtue chance either. I'd stacked two +25% virtue chance trinkets on characters twice only to have them go rogue on me when the stress hit :(

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 3, 2016

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

fennesz posted:

I think I'm just sick of grinding easy dungeons for 5-7 weeks so I can manage all of the quirks, upgrade equipment and skills before I can do other dungeons. Not to mention huge money sinks in disease removal, stress relief and the occasional uber expensive quirk removal (for real 9k to get someone to stop stealing :qq:). I think I just don't have the patience for it, though you're definitely right. A patient, more thoughtful player than me could find success over the long term. But that ain't me I guess.

I think one thing I may have overlooked were the negative Ruins/Weald/Cove quirks that may have been totally messing up my stress/damage/accuracy. Like I mentioned, the character panels don't list context specific buffs/debuffs pertaining to light and location. If I'm tooling my party up and see the accuracy is even or positive, I'm going to run with it. The thing that prompted me to post in the thread was losing 3 of my level 6 heroes to a single round of enemy AoE because none of them resisted death at 66% (I think my Vestal was either slow or stunned). The way character development and planning works is you can really only focus on accuracy, damage, stress, debuffs or healing. I get that the game was planned with that in mind, risk v reward, etc. but in later dungeons too many of those attributes become crucial and if you have a round or two of bad luck RIP your team.

e: P.S. it mad sucks you can't see virtue chance either. I'd stacked two +25% virtue chance trinkets on characters twice only to have them go rogue on me when the stress hit :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fennesz posted:

Sure I could just stack +accuracy trinkets on my dudes but then my tank is squishy, my stuns never land and I'll be taking stress damage like loving nuts.

Whiffing at least one attack a round on average hurts you way more than any of this stuff does (except maybe stun but you get 2 trinket slots.) You already know the solution to all your problems, but it's not what you want to do, so you choose to complain that the game is too dicerolly because you don't feel like using the tools it gives you to manage those rolls.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the constructive criticism a grand total of one of you offered! Thanks for the unfunny meme shitposting from the others. :allears:

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

For an accuracy buffing trinket, you can't go wrong with a good Sun Ring (or Moon Ring for spice) also for bonus damage despite the stress penalty.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The fight is by design an endurance slog, trying to make it not take forever is just going to put you in a spot where something doesn't go right and the cannon goes off. If it takes you 20 rounds then whatever, you're getting a poo poo-ton of loot from it anyways. Don't use a dot setup, you need to move your damage around to the adds every round, and the boss has 200% resist all. Rounds where the boss summons max adds view any damage that gets to the boss as a bonus, instead rounds where the boss summons less than max is where you'll be able to pull damage from. I think trying to damage race the later cannons is too risky to try just stunning/shoving other bandits.

Vestal-GR-MaA-Hell is a really strong comp for the fight, good damage options to all 3 front slots, and 3 options for slot #4. A tricked-out leper could possibly slot in well for the MaA (but getting to the boss is going to potentially be shittier). Bounty for MaA isn't bad, he gets a +human bonus on collect bounty and solid trinket support. Neither have as good of group buffs as the MaA, and aren't as good for general weald fights, but against the boss itself are probably better.

On higher difficulties you should be able to run into the fatty brigand, so I'd suggest an occ-gr-maa-hell party. Take at least one trinket on the occ that gives you +move, and pull the rifle guy if he exists to the front. His rushed shot is little threat, and having 1 non-match-stick bandit alive means there isn't room for the cannon to summon the fatty (rifle+cannon is 2 slots, it *always* makes a matchstick, which leaves not enough room for fatty). MaA can be swapped for bounty but not leper in this setup, since if the occultist kills the rifler you want to just stun another bandit instead of killing him.

Another option is for a hound-occ-bounty-hellion setup. This is similar to the last party, but hound in position 4 is a bit more flexible than graverobber, and as long as you can 1-round the bandits (leaving 1 stunned or pulled to front as well) then having 2 guys who have full damage against marked enemies is a solid option for damage rounds. Occultist in slot #3 opens up his knife attack, which is really strong. I think hound is a much stronger party member for general weald fights as well.

Since it is an endurance slog, the biggest thing is consistency. Accuracy/damage is king, I'd avoid anything that tanks accuracy and wouldn't worry about crit. Brawler's gloves for your front spot guy if you have them, man-slayer rings for all damage guys if you have them, class trinkets that are +dmg with no accuracy drawbacks. Sun rings are really good options as well, with 15% dmg 10 acc. If you're doing enough damage you shouldn't need tons of healing, I'd suggest trying to take a scouting trinket in one of your healer slots if possible. With the camping nerfs, consider camping if you have some rough fights and prioritize +scout, -ambush and then damage, you might not get lucky enough to have the buffs at the boss but you might avoid not getting there at all.

@fennesz: You're clearly missing a lot of the general ideas of how to handle poo poo based on your usage of deathblow resist and increased virtue chance trinkets. It sounds like you're trying to keep your guys in squeaky clean condition, and that just isn't in the cards by design. You're fighting tooth and nail to scrape by in any other way, and it isn't surprising that it is miserable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Decided to try my luck in a short apprentice run with the Shambler since I've avoided fighting them so far.

In the end I won but I lost one of my more promising rookies and ended up having to abandon the quest after another one succumbed a room later. Them's the breaks I guess. When I got back to town I ended up dismissing one of the two survivors as well in favor of a fresh new recruit in the exact same category. This game has turned me a bit cold-hearted.

Got a Hellion, a Vestal, and an Arbalest I'm trying to get up to level 3 so they can take on the Brigand Pounder tomorrow. I've another Hellion who's already level 4 but liable to shoot up to 5 the next time I send her out, so I'd rather wait on her for now.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

fennesz posted:

Thanks for the constructive criticism a grand total of one of you offered! Thanks for the unfunny meme shitposting from the others. :allears:

I mean, I'm not watching you play so I can't say for sure but while I will sympathize on failing three Death's Door checks simultaneously, that is a bad beat from the dice, you apparently don't think being in a position where having three people at Death's Door in the first place is utterly abnormal and a sign that something has been going horribly wrong for multiple turns in a row. Or rather, you seem to think there's just nothing that can be done and being put in this position just happens. It doesn't. Your play and your decisions are putting you in these no-win situations and I can assure you playing "better" would strongly alleviate this as well as the need to spend as much money on stress relief and quirk removal and while disease and thus disease removal expenses cannot be avoided, it is not a huge money sink, it's chump change at best. Again, I don't have a replay of the three death fight and what went wrong but why did you not run way before then? I've had a single Champion-level casualty on my way to having all twenty-four other characters being fully upgraded and I have a single GR that's still level 5, everyone else is level 6. There was some bad luck involved, sure, I failed a Death's Door roll with Holy Orders equipped (so I think it was a 21% chance to fail) on the first try, but I had also cast Divine Comfort twice in panic instead of Divine Grace and chose not to run with a Crusader in single digits, twice, because I thought I could turn the situation around, but failed to do so. I look back on that fight and while there *was* bad luck on stun rolls and dodges that led to a routine fight spiraling down to a catastrophe, I had multiple opportunities to cut and run that I didn't take. And that's my one Champion death.

Gabriel Pope's right. The game gives you tools to boost your accuracy. Use them. Yes, you're fully capable of going without +Deathblow resist because I cannot stress enough that getting to Death's Door is a result of something going wrong and it should be uncommon. If it's not, you're playing wrong. I always pack a Sun Ring on my main damage dealer (usually Hellion or GR), I always equip my Ancestor's Candle and Ancestor's Map and the rest of my loadout is usually class-specific trinkets that boost damage, accuracy (either +acc or +stun/blight chance) or healing. My Vestals always use any combination of Junia's Head/Sacred Scroll/Tome of Holy Healing. The only +Deathblow resist trinket I ever use is Holy Orders and that's more for the stress resist, and honestly I'm rethinking that item choice altogether because stress is mostly manageable without it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 3, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ok ran a party through the 12-lbs cannon that was pretty poorly geared for it, and not the best setup. Consider not taking the man-at-arms if possible, because his +forward interacts very badly with the hellion's camp buff. Forgot about that in my type-up before. My hellion killed the matchstick guy every round but 2, and those I was able to finish him off with occultist. Also my bounty and maa both got rabies on the way to the boss, which was fan-loving-tastic for actually hitting poo poo.

Didn't get a pic of round counter, but I was on round 35.

My gear and skills are only upgraded to 3 (resolve level 2), though my hellion and occultist are at level 4 for this dungeon. Hellion has berserk charm (15% dmg, 3 spd, -5 acc) and the +5 acc hat, MaA the +stun shield and a +hp/dodge trinket, bounty has the +20% melee hat and +25% human ring, occultist the uncommon move amulet and a +dodge trinket.

I would have had him before 30 rounds easily without rabies on my bounty and maa, maybe even before 25 I was missing so loving much.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why do people care so much about killing all of the bosses outside of the achievement? Chievos usually require some planning anyway.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Most RPGs you need to kill bosses to progress, or they're a sign of progress. That isn't so much the case here. Also you really don't need to be super kitted out to kill most of the bosses, just know what they do, have a good party setup, and execute well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rascyc posted:

Why do people care so much about killing all of the bosses outside of the achievement? Chievos usually require some planning anyway.

I wanna know what the ancestor did to them

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The bosses present tactical puzzles, solid rewards, and lore if you care about that sort of thing. Ignoring the achievement for a moment, beating all of them suggests a sort of mastery of the game, and for the better designed bosses at least is fun in and of itself.

The fact that it's occasionally frustrating to fight a particular boss in no way diminishes my desire to fight most of them.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 3, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I really just want the sick loving loot like +10 accuracy and +30% stun resist with no drawbacks on wilbur's flags from the swine god

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

AnonSpore posted:

Oh this is a good point. Yeah that is pretty lame then if people are getting blocked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AnonSpore posted:

He made bad decisions while being a total dick. This is how the Ancestor do in general.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ZypherIM posted:

Ok ran a party through the 12-lbs cannon that was pretty poorly geared for it, and not the best setup. Consider not taking the man-at-arms if possible, because his +forward interacts very badly with the hellion's camp buff. Forgot about that in my type-up before. My hellion killed the matchstick guy every round but 2, and those I was able to finish him off with occultist. Also my bounty and maa both got rabies on the way to the boss, which was fan-loving-tastic for actually hitting poo poo.

Didn't get a pic of round counter, but I was on round 35.

My gear and skills are only upgraded to 3 (resolve level 2), though my hellion and occultist are at level 4 for this dungeon. Hellion has berserk charm (15% dmg, 3 spd, -5 acc) and the +5 acc hat, MaA the +stun shield and a +hp/dodge trinket, bounty has the +20% melee hat and +25% human ring, occultist the uncommon move amulet and a +dodge trinket.

I would have had him before 30 rounds easily without rabies on my bounty and maa, maybe even before 25 I was missing so loving much.

"only" took me 11 rounds for the 12 pounder but the loot from it is funny nonetheless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Night10194 posted:

He made bad decisions while being a total dick.
Every Lovecraftian bad guy in one post.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"This tome/tomb/cavern/basement/ice cream truck contains dark knowledge of indescribable things mankind was never meant to know. All who pursue its secrets go mad from the revelation. It should be left alone and forgotten."

"Weeeeelll, maybe just a peek."

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ahh, Kos or some say Kosm...

I have like 6 level 5 characters now but im dreading champion dungeons. Still have both cove advanced bosses left and and the flesh.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rascyc posted:

They're on my turf and need killing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bad Seafood posted:

"This tome/tomb/cavern/basement/ice cream truck contains dark knowledge of indescribable things mankind was never meant to know. All who pursue its secrets go mad from the revelation. It should be left alone and forgotten."

"Weeeeelll, maybe just a peek."

Nothing good ever comes after 'I grew tired of...*conventional* extravagance.'

Ever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...does the Quest Completed popup sound make anyone else think of Forever Knight?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uhh, I just got to The Darkest Dungeon and I'm disappointed. It's not that it's hard, it's that losing heroes there means you have to level new ones all the way from lvl0, and that's not mentioning the trinkets you'll also lose if a hero actually dies in combat. And you don't get a single piece of loot to help make up for your failures.

Still, I've played over 40 hours and loved the hell out of this game so I'd say I already got my fill. But I hope they'll make the endgame less grindy somehow. That 15% XP cut from last patch isn't nearly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Loved this one