Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Platonicsolid posted:

In other news, I find I'm starting to max out the level for the US tree. Up to the Nevada on BBs, the Ranger on CVs, will buy the Porter once I have the silver. Subs seem to get demonstrably worse at higher levels and I don't enjoy them as much. Time to switch trees, and if so, to where? Japan seems the obvious choice, I've only done enough to get the Fubuki there. Are there gems lying in the British or German trees?

All the Japanese ship lines are worthwhile, although there's nothing really outstanding on the cruiser line until tier 6. Battleships are good all the way from tier 2-5 (but the tier 6-7 don't look that impressive) and destroyers are consistently good all the way up.
The British destroyers are fine but if you're stopping at tier 5 you miss the better half of them.
The German battleships are good from tier 7 up but you have to go through a whole lot of poo poo to get there. The tier 5 cruiser isn't bad but the rest of that line generally is.

If you want submarines play Japan and ram idiots in U-boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing the Brits have going for them is their guns are extremely accurate and have pretty good velocity. They may not be the strongest, but I find this makes them surprisingly good fighting DDs nonetheless.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Had a really good Atlanta game today, though it was helped by the fact that the other team brought a Caldwell to a T3-T4 game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

I'm not sure it's worth me bothering to keep going through the sub tiers on the Japanese line. They go from having eight tubes to six for several tiers and any improvements they get are extremely marginal. Meanwhile at higher tiers the DD s get progressively more dangerous and BB s get faster and harder to intercept. Torpedo bombers also become a problem; by the time your submerged sub detects them it's too late to dive, and you're often isolated from allies.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DDs are consistently the best ships for me. The spotting game is the most important factor and they are easily the best at it (admittedly good carriers can also pull it off). They also get very fast and nimble at high tiers and the torps stay very deadly all the way to the final tiers. The guns are also pretty decent at higher tiers strangely enough, you can pen many of the cruisers which let's you wear them down from outside their spotting range.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I'm not sure it's worth me bothering to keep going through the sub tiers on the Japanese line. They go from having eight tubes to six for several tiers and any improvements they get are extremely marginal. Meanwhile at higher tiers the DD s get progressively more dangerous and BB s get faster and harder to intercept. Torpedo bombers also become a problem; by the time your submerged sub detects them it's too late to dive, and you're often isolated from allies.

I-19 is peak Japanese sub line (t7 does look passable though) and is very fun but requires getting used to the t5/t6 matches and being patient as hell. 6 forward tubes is plenty once you get both upgrades to the torpedoes (with 8 I can run out easily). It's fast - 28 knots on the surface, 18 submerged with a couple of +1 speed commanders and the engine upgrade. It's vastly more fun than the I-14 for me. Torpedo bombers aren't really an issue since CV's are very rare at t5/6 nowadays. I basically play the I-19 as a secondary spotter until I get a clear window to close on the BB line. At 18 submerged you can close at an angle decently, though obviously if they run you aren't going to catch them, but thankfully terrain and the map edge tend to be in the way, and at the very least you are spotting them so your BB's will wreck them.

Warbadger posted:

DDs are consistently the best ships for me. The spotting game is the most important factor and they are easily the best at it (admittedly good carriers can also pull it off). They also get very fast and nimble at high tiers and the torps stay very deadly all the way to the final tiers. The guns are also pretty decent at higher tiers strangely enough, you can pen many of the cruisers which let's you wear them down from outside their spotting range.

DD/BB is probably 80% of the higher tier population for basically that reason. CA's seem to be a majority of the remaining bits, and then subs/CL's. CA's can pen battleships but are basically anti-DD ships (to help win the scouting game). I think I have more fun in a CA nowadays than a BB, as the Northampton seems to pen t5 BB's well and can pen t6's decently. About the only reason I get sick of playing DD's at t6 (or higher) is when my team is full of people who won't fire at hostile DD's and sit waiting for BB's to be spotted, meanwhile I've got a CA and 2 DD's and who knows how many BB's lobbing shots at me. I was still the 2nd to last to die and 2nd in total damage, which makes the whole thing even more frustrating.

Also some new missions/events up today - some 250 qualification events for getting a tier 9 or 10 ships in the 5 ship classes, plus a 7-day login for what seems like a Chinese ship (and a bay) and 20-day login for what I'd guess is another Chinese ship and a bay.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Yeah I'm currently using the I-19 and I like it. Torps have excellent range, you get 4 minutes of oxygen and good surface speed fira submarine.

A lot of people complain about Japanese subs because they're so huge but you gotta play on their strengths . that little scout plane can make a big difference, especially late into the match.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Oh man, I wish I recorded this, just saw a funny glitch:

I was in a Benson and rammed a Drum class submarine. Both of us were damaged enough that it ended up being more of a kamikaze attack, blowing us both up in the impact.

However, the explosion somehow caused my ship to completely disintegrate and the wreck of the submarine was barrel rolling at 10,000 RPM, while on fire :supaburn:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Subs seem to work on something like an inverse bell curve; they are decent in the lower tiers or the games with the shittiest opposition, kind of terrible in the middle where most of the players are, and good again at the very high end where people have the full crews for them and understand how to keep DDs busy long enough to get them killed by just counterspotting them.

I've seen many good players in mid-tier subs recently and its just kind of funny how little they'll end up contributing in comparison to them being in a DD/CA/BB.

They are fun if you want to screw around and just mess with people, but if you plan to do well in them for any extended period of time you are sorely mistaken. Being the spergy tryhard I am, I don't enjoy playing subs for very long because my team always seems to gently caress up a perfectly winnable game and had I been in a DD/BB I could've made the difference needed.

Also DDs are decidedly the best class in the game; you could have the best BB player in the world on one team and the best DD player in the world on the other team, with all other players average, and the DD player will decide the outcome like 7 times out of 10. A good DD accomplishes too much in terms of spotting and area denial compared to even the best BBs (barring freak one shots and such). The best CV player in the world may outshine both on the bigger maps though. Good CVs are very scary, but also very hard to play at that level as mistakes are often punished by tons of downtime.

EDIT: 6.51.2 added new censored words :china:, fixed bugs with the fleet flag display, and added the new events.

Those two play time reward boats are both pre-war light cruisers, one Chinese and the other a Japanese Sendai class. Honestly the 7 day one looks better than the 30 day one, especially considering it's Chinese and will likely be OP.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 1, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Examining how I play it, I think the main reason I do so well in the Yubari (beyond it being pretty good, slow guns aside a boat that can go 37-38 knts and dodge like a destroyer but has 4km range is useful at T4) is that the slow guns and speed force me to play conservatively. When your whole thing is 'I can hit that Atlanta from out of his range' you're missing the temptation to get in there and brawl, and CLs are always safer skirmishing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I really wish more events were based on hits/damage/kills than wins.

:negative: One of my first games in my Fubuki, some friendly Omaha rams into me and we end up being stuck. He then proceeds to go AFK while I am hopelessly twitching and clipping through him. Eventually some enemy subs arrive and I'm hoping they'll blow him up to free him, but of course one of their torpedoes happens to hit my bow as well and I died too :negative:

Fortunately the game after this had me doing much better; I was 9/1 with 9,500 damage. I'd say 95% of that was shooting enemy ships with guns from long range. The enemy subs also made it pretty easy for me; tier II subs that would never dive allowing me to rake them with gunfire.

Seriously, use your guns, people! All things being equal, it looks like (at tier III anyway) if you hit with a full cannon salvo vs another DD you'll probably knock off 25% of his health not to mention crits. If you're already spotted, I think its better to always shoot if you have the opportunity so you can maneuver and make yourself a difficult target; I'd rather take a wild shot that might hit then eat 2 salvos trying to line up all my turrets and getting the circle tiny.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pervis posted:

I-19 is peak Japanese sub line (t7 does look passable though) and is very fun but requires getting used to the t5/t6 matches and being patient as hell. 6 forward tubes is plenty once you get both upgrades to the torpedoes (with 8 I can run out easily). It's fast - 28 knots on the surface, 18 submerged with a couple of +1 speed commanders and the engine upgrade. It's vastly more fun than the I-14 for me. Torpedo bombers aren't really an issue since CV's are very rare at t5/6 nowadays. I basically play the I-19 as a secondary spotter until I get a clear window to close on the BB line. At 18 submerged you can close at an angle decently, though obviously if they run you aren't going to catch them, but thankfully terrain and the map edge tend to be in the way, and at the very least you are spotting them so your BB's will wreck them.

DD/BB is probably 80% of the higher tier population for basically that reason. CA's seem to be a majority of the remaining bits, and then subs/CL's. CA's can pen battleships but are basically anti-DD ships (to help win the scouting game). I think I have more fun in a CA nowadays than a BB, as the Northampton seems to pen t5 BB's well and can pen t6's decently. About the only reason I get sick of playing DD's at t6 (or higher) is when my team is full of people who won't fire at hostile DD's and sit waiting for BB's to be spotted, meanwhile I've got a CA and 2 DD's and who knows how many BB's lobbing shots at me. I was still the 2nd to last to die and 2nd in total damage, which makes the whole thing even more frustrating.

Also some new missions/events up today - some 250 qualification events for getting a tier 9 or 10 ships in the 5 ship classes, plus a 7-day login for what seems like a Chinese ship (and a bay) and 20-day login for what I'd guess is another Chinese ship and a bay.

Thing about CAs as anti-Destroyer boats is they're huge targets for BBs and won't spot a well crewed DD until long after being spotted (and shortly after eat BB shells). This isn't on its own a huge problem, but they also don't seem to have enough armor to avoid getting picked apart by DD gunfire. While a lone BB can be a huge problem by shaking off long range gunfire and dodging any torps launched from outside spotting range to force you to come inside his spotting range I legitimately do not fear CAs at tier 5+ unless they have a DD or two around to spot and harass me. You just find his blind spot and shoot him until he explodes.

Basically they're BBs except you can easily hurt them from safety.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 2, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Hyper KTKM is definitely a good shakeup from normal fleet fights and I wish was not so timelocked.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Warbadger posted:

Thing about CAs as anti-Destroyer boats is they're huge targets for BBs and won't spot a well crewed DD until long after being spotted (and shortly after eat BB shells). This isn't on its own a huge problem, but they also don't seem to have enough armor to avoid getting picked apart by DD gunfire. While a lone BB can be a huge problem by shaking off long range gunfire and dodging any torps launched from outside spotting range to force you to come inside his spotting range I legitimately do not fear CAs at tier 5+ unless they have a DD or two around to spot and harass me. You just find his blind spot and shoot him until he explodes.

Basically they're BBs except you can easily hurt them from safety.

Except that CAs have scout planes that can spot DDs from a safe distance, and tend to be faster and more maneuverable than BBs. Though I always thought it was CLs that were meant to be the DD hunters, being more similar in stats but having 2x the firepower of a DD with decent reload speed.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DDs have AAA, should not be easy targets, and planes have a pretty long reload time. Planes from not - carriers aren't especially frightening and neither is getting lit for the few seconds it takes to shoot a plane down.

They're not going to spot a DD from outside the 1.5km AAA range.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
This looked to be a sure loss. Through overwhelming goonery we prevailed.

Turns out this game has a bunch of seal clubbers, that Viking Laforey is a 74% player with 800 games, yet about 30 collectively over tier 5. He was very bad, and also called us hackers for about 6 minutes as I killed the Ersatz from outside view distance with non-pen gunfire.

Also since that was exactly my 1000th game, heres a snapshot of my stat whoring thus far:

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Mazz posted:

Those two play time reward boats are both pre-war light cruisers, one Chinese and the other a Japanese Sendai class. Honestly the 7 day one looks better than the 30 day one, especially considering it's Chinese and will likely be OP.

Where did you find this?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lee Outrageous posted:

Where did you find this?

They have names in the events list, I just googled them. It seems correct enough.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ning Hai is going to be terrible unless they make it a lot faster than the historical 23kt

Jintsu could be really good, it's faster than some destroyers (35kt) with 8 torps and a plane

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Reminder that you shouldn't sell your free premiums.

Here's a motivational poster of everybody's favourite premium battlecruiser

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I'm switching Lutjens for Lindemann on my Battleship. Quick load is great, but Lutjens has a lot of passive boosts. In particular, 8% cannon damage.

His active ability gives +15% damage and pen, bringing his total damage up to 23% more for that shot. When I get 1000 qualifications I'll upgrade the gunner to get another 10% to bring the total potential bonus up to 33% :black101: for one salvo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You got Lutjens? You lucky bastard.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

You got Lutjens? You lucky bastard.

It's the only luck I've gotten. Aside from tier V rewards most of my commander rolls have been 1-star shitters. I'm trying to get Kaspar Maas and Von Luckner.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Panfilo posted:

It's the only luck I've gotten. Aside from tier V rewards most of my commander rolls have been 1-star shitters. I'm trying to get Kaspar Maas and Von Luckner.

Is Maas one of the guys you can buy for 1800? There was one of the recommended officers that I just bit the bullet and paid 1800 to get.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think Mass is one of 1800 merit commanders you can buy outright. I think he comes if you buy a level 5 DD too IIRC.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Lutjens and Cunningham would both be pretty cool, game.

Also Panfilo, with Lutjens try to activate the ability when fully loaded but wait a few seconds before shooting. I'm thinking it will work the same as quick load nazi, where the debuff will fall off at the end and your reload will instantly revert back to normal. If you still have like 8-15 seconds of reloading to do, the debuff will fall off in such a way it will never actually effect you at all. You'll jump from 8 seconds to 4, like how Otto jumps from 8 back to 16 or whatever.

You can buy Mass for 1800 but idk if I'd really consider him that important. It's certainly not a terrible decision though since 1800 merit is definitely capable of giving you gently caress all. Depends on how much you really play DD I guess.

Arashi is the guy from tier 5 DDs. Also very good and the best guy for Comms except Cunningham.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm finding EMP Guy to be as good or better than Arashi as comms. He has the exact same +500% scouting, but replaced the sorta dicey Survival Instincts (which are useful still) with Cunning, which gives a good chance to significantly reduce Disguise Loss from firing your weapons. Also he has higher base Command, being a 4 star.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Wow just had an insanely close game with Bulbaros and Mazz. Came down to Mazz and I vs their BB and CV, their CV starts to cap, I fire a TB wave at the BB then die from his salvo, Mazz comes to save the day by spotting the CV when it was at like 88%.

I probably would've gotten more than 2 kills if hitting that sub killed it outright vs leaving it with like 15hp. I also shot down over 30 planes; their CV was hellbent on sinking me. Still a great game and an excellent example of teammates spotting for each other; me spotting for Mazz and Mazz spotting for me.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
JAPSLAP just tried to lecture me on playing DDs in world chat. Yamamoto is apparently the best DD commander in the game because he has that 5% skill that gives spotting distance... overlooking the whole everything else is entirely for airplanes part.

1 out of 20 times you go over 30 knots it's great though!!!!!!!!!!

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Panfilo posted:

Still a great game and an excellent example of teammates spotting for each other; me spotting for Mazz and Mazz spotting for me.

And me getting sandwiched by torp waves in the first three minutes :downs:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Helluva way to end a fleet battle! Cornering the poor enemy Indy, pelting it relentlessly with AA, and ramming it to death :black101:

Myself and several other Destroyers nobly sacrificed ourselves for the better of all Goonkind :goon:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
It looked even more hilarious from where I was sitting :v:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Here's the full video of the bit where we started trying to ram him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5gC7NZy9Q

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dpidz0r posted:

Jesus I left at exactly the wrong time. :allears:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

dpidz0r posted:

Glorious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I do not understand why the Aoba even has Secondaries when it's just 2 lovely 140mms.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I do not understand why the Aoba even has Secondaries when it's just 2 lovely 140mms.

The mogami 35 has secondaries despite them being pretty much the same as the main guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well hello additional easy 90 merit a day for playing with friends, you'll be very welcome in my hoard.

Also, I'm reminded the Pensacola's secondaries are actually useful for when you get a DD down to 100 HP and need to tap him to finish him, but he's not worth your precious 203mm ammo. God, it's easy to run out of ammo in that thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

Well hello additional easy 90 merit a day for playing with friends, you'll be very welcome in my hoard.

Also, I'm reminded the Pensacola's secondaries are actually useful for when you get a DD down to 100 HP and need to tap him to finish him, but he's not worth your precious 203mm ammo. God, it's easy to run out of ammo in that thing.

Agreed. The Nevada also has excellent secondaries. Only complaint is the traverse is surprisingly slow. I try to aim them ahead of time in case I get jumped by a Destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How did the pubbies let me rack up a 15k damage game in a loving Bayern. :psyduck:

E:

They did it again! And a legit Woundless Hero! This, the game has declared, makes me a God of War.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 3, 2016

• Locked thread