Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Smash to smithereens sees play in what? Pauper?

Standard, Modern, Legacy. It got two top-16 finishes last weekend in the SGC Classic tournament, for example, capping off a very busy January 2016 for the humble little removal spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

It's funny because I'm building Jaya EDH right now.

Where I get to run both Gratuitous Violence AND Repercussion. :getin:

Repercussion into Blasphemous Act when you have no creatures on board seems like a great way to potentially win games out of nowhere.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Reprecussion into Blasphemous Act when you have no creatures on board seems like a great way to potentially win games out of nowhere.

Repercussion and Incite Rebellion is also hilarious.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Repercussion and Incite Rebellion is also hilarious.

Alpha Brawl. :unsmigghh:

Or Chandra's Ignition if you want an actually good card. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

Even Enemies: Mana costs can only be multiples of 2.

Finally this foil Thrun I have will be worth something! (Lol it still won't be)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any place I can get 4 Inkmoth Nexus without paying 35$ a pop?

Or at least get some proxies?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^You mean Inkmoth Nexus? Then no

Pontius Pilate posted:

What's your list look like? I'm also a fan of never having your delvers flip in modern.

I dont know about you man, my delvers scumbag flip turn 2 all the time.

4 Delver of Secrets
3 Young Pyromancer
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Gurmag Angler

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour
3 Terminate
3 Gitaxian Probe
2 Kolaghan's Command
2 Spell Snare
2 Remand
2 Mana Leak
1 Shadow of Doubt

4 Polluted Delta
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Flooded Strand
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave
1 Blood Crypt
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

SB (not nailed down at all)

3 Engineered Explosives
3 Vampiric Link
2 Shatterstorm
2 Blood Moon
1 Crumble to Dust
1 Thoughtseize
1 Spellskite
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Dreadbore

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Inkmoth, my bad. Remind me to never play cards where I have to remember the names of said cards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Turtlicious posted:

Is there any place I can get 4 Blinkmoth Nexus without paying 35$ a pop?

Blinkmoth Nexus is like $3.

:ssh: Real Inkmoths will never be cheap again. :ssh:

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
So this kickstarter for art tokens looks really cool, anyone else pledged yet? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/classic-art-tokens

Eikre
May 2, 2009
No, but evading copyrights with "Ms. Lage" makes me laugh.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chairman Pow! posted:

So this kickstarter for art tokens looks really cool, anyone else pledged yet? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/classic-art-tokens

Looked neat until I got to the goblin token, how did they whiff so hard on that one?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

That looks pretty dang neato, I love the Great Wave playmat.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I really don't dig custom tokens that fail to show some of the basic characteristics of the tokens at glance. My issue with these, as with most custom tokens it feels, is with the colour and a bit with the text-background contrast.

Then again, better than an ad card from a booster or an empty sleeve v:shobon:v

The Hokusai playmat looks nice enough to me, ukiyo-e arts in general I feel would make for pretty nice playmats. They pretty often have subdued enough colours that they don't appear like the colour vomit 95% of playmats with images to my eyes are.

Still if I'd make a custom playmat from an image, it'd be some lovely Moebius piece like this:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Reposting my custom mat:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Smash to smithereens sees play in what? Pauper?

For a long, long time, Smash was a 2-3 of in burn sideboards. You forget that Naya burn wasn't really around until the modern pro tour last year, when MTG mintcard blew it up with Destructive Revelry. you could really play Naya until Khans brought more fetches.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

For a long, long time, Smash was a 2-3 of in burn sideboards. You forget that Naya burn wasn't really around until the modern pro tour last year, when MTG mintcard blew it up with Destructive Revelry. you could really play Naya until Khans brought more fetches.

It's still a 2-3 of in Mono Red Burn for Modern.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Sickening posted:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale..._20150421124126

Here is how it was explained to me.

White core: Cheapest and the has the fakest feel outside the sleeve. Generally the old legacy stuff is about the only thing that look decent in white core.

Black core: More expensive and varies in quality. Some black core stuff is really impressive and some aren't. Basically a better alternative to white core for black bordered stuff.

Blue core: The most expensive and harder to find. Generally these are the highest quality fakes that exist.

Actually that depends on the seller. Universally the white core is the cheapest, but some printers have the black core as their best quality option, like the ones I just got. You can usually tell which one is better because they charge more per card.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

anglachel posted:

It's still a 2-3 of in Mono Red Burn for Modern.

Only mono-R, though. Destructive Revelry is better in pretty much every way.

Also, I like how Goblin Guide is $44-mid now. :v:

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

I actually wish I bought a bunch of The Things Used For EDH before modern's banlist updated now.

If I wanted a Karn, Ugin, and Crucible, I'd need $170.

EDH is suffering.

I built Tron a while back because:
1. I had the Karns, O-stones, etc from EDH/Cube. If I ever had to take the deck apart, well, I have several EDH decks that wouldn't mind.
2. Playing Tron is like big mana EDH (which I like).
3. I even traded away a UR Fetch + 20$ rare for a Judge Foil Crucible before BFZ was spoiled (though that was really just for EDH)

If I was just starting out though now ... Ugh.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

logis posted:

I built Tron a while back because:
1. I had the Karns, O-stones, etc from EDH/Cube. If I ever had to take the deck apart, well, I have several EDH decks that wouldn't mind.
2. Playing Tron is like big mana EDH (which I like).
3. I even traded away a UR Fetch + 20$ rare for a Judge Foil Crucible before BFZ was spoiled (though that was really just for EDH)

If I was just starting out though now ... Ugh.

Yeah. Like when i bough into Burn for Modern, it was about a 500 dollar deck. (and most of that was in the fetches) Now it's a 900 dollar deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Why is Wizards so determined to make sure FNM promos are at best decent and at worst horrible unplayable garbage?

You guys do realize this promo is being handed out after the block that encourages and empowers you to play 4 color goodstuff decks where you can't feasibly play colorless sources rotates out, right?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 3, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

You guys do realize this promo is being handed out after the block that encourages and empowers you to play 4 color goodstuff decks where you can't feasibly play colorless sources rotates out, right?

Also we just had Anticipate and Nissa's Pilgrimage as promos.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
I just recently put together a red/green tron deck and played my first games of modern today. It was a lot of fun, although fast burn decks were hard to deal with. I was worried using Karplusan Forest instead of Grove of the Burnwillows would hurt me, but it ended up not mattering.

The highlight of my night was against another tron deck. He played Expedition Map, I played Pithing Needle naming his map, and on his next turn he just played two more maps in frustration. He ended up scooping before I could Crumble to Dust his tower. :v:

I probably wouldn't have tried modern if I didn't already have / could borrow / could sub in cheap cards for a deck. The store I went to had three or four times as many people show up to the last FNM standard tournament as they did modern tonight. I suppose that could've just been Tuesday vs Friday night, but I think that the cost of a modern deck is keeping people from trying the format out. Looking at card prices now compared to how much they were years ago is mind-boggling.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xzov posted:

I just recently put together a red/green tron deck and played my first games of modern today. It was a lot of fun, although fast burn decks were hard to deal with. I was worried using Karplusan Forest instead of Grove of the Burnwillows would hurt me, but it ended up not mattering.

The highlight of my night was against another tron deck. He played Expedition Map, I played Pithing Needle naming his map, and on his next turn he just played two more maps in frustration. He ended up scooping before I could Crumble to Dust his tower. :v:

I probably wouldn't have tried modern if I didn't already have / could borrow / could sub in cheap cards for a deck. The store I went to had three or four times as many people show up to the last FNM standard tournament as they did modern tonight. I suppose that could've just been Tuesday vs Friday night, but I think that the cost of a modern deck is keeping people from trying the format out. Looking at card prices now compared to how much they were years ago is mind-boggling.

Don't worry, Wizards is "aggressively reprinting Modern staples" soon.

Soon™

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Don't worry, Wizards is "aggressively reprinting Modern staples" soon.

Soon™

Hey, I'd settle for an "EDH only, banned in modern" printing of cards that modern has made expensive. But I'm not the company trying to get people to play a new format that isn't standard.

Unless I'm wrong, and Wizards just doesn't care about modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xzov posted:

Hey, I'd settle for an "EDH only, banned in modern" printing of cards that modern has made expensive. But I'm not the company trying to get people to play a new format that isn't standard.

Unless I'm wrong, and Wizards just doesn't care about modern.

They've been adamant in telling people they care.

And then we get this:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

They've been adamant in telling people they care.

And then we get this:

I mean they did just reprint him, they knew he was a card that needed a reprint.

Outside of killing the secondary market, which is not in their best interests, what do you expect them to do?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

I mean they did just reprint him, they knew he was a card that needed a reprint.

Outside of killing the secondary market, which is not in their best interests, what do you expect them to do?

Actually do the thing they mentioned and actually aggressively reprint modern staples?

Case in point: Enemy Fetches, Liliana of the Veil, Snapcaster Mage

You had a perfectly loving good opportunity to just put an enemy fetch in every single Commander 2015 deck and then print the poo poo out of them to drive the price down to a max of 35-50 bucks.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sigma-X posted:

Reprint it and flood the secondary market. People think it will hurt the secondary market - it won't. It will just make collectors of cardboard stocks (ie. typical MTG players) salty about their precious cardboard's diminished perceived value. Vendors will continue to shill their merchandise, and new low prices will incentive more purchasing which offsets the increase in supply. The economics of this game aren't hard to grasp until you take into consideration that so much of it is tied up in good faith.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

Also we just had Anticipate and Nissa's Pilgrimage as promos.

Blighted Fen has been very powerful for me in this brew I've been toying around with:

Deck: B/C Eldrazi Smasher

//Lands
2 Blighted Fen
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mirrorpool
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
8 Swamp

//Spells
2 Complete Disregard
3 Grasp of Darkness
1 Languish
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Spatial Contortion
4 Transgress the Mind

//Creatures
4 Bearer of Silence
3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Wasteland Strangler

//Sideboard
2 Flaying Tendrils
3 Duress
1 Languish
2 Infinite Obliteration
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Despise

Display deck statistics

Things I like about this deck:

1) Zero fetchlands. Zero shuffle effects. You shuffle once when the game starts and that's it.
2) You get to play a bunch of new cards and especially post board the deck can be ridiculously disruptive to their hands.
3) A large portion of the lands are spell lands or utility lands which don't see a lot of play because 4 color goodstuff won't let you. Oran-Rief and Mirrorpool are really good and sometimes I can win out of nowhere because opponents forget that Mirrorpooling your Reality Smasher or Thought-Knot is a thing you can do. For comedy, Mirrorpool Thought-Knot in your opponent's draw step.
4) It was under $200 until Kalitas went from a $5 Mythic to the most expensive card in Oath of the Gatewatch.

I don't have any real reason I'm playing Drana other than for whatever reason I win a lot more with 3 Drana in the main than I did with competing options. I'm not saying it's a Tier 1 deck or anything, but its at least competitive with a lot of decks.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 3, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Actually do the thing they mentioned and actually aggressively reprint modern staples?

Case in point: Enemy Fetches, Liliana of the Veil, Snapcaster Mage

You had a perfectly loving good opportunity to just put an enemy fetch in every single Commander 2015 deck and then print the poo poo out of them to drive the price down to a max of 35-50 bucks.

They've never said they're going to aggressively reprint them though? They said that they wanted a format where they could reprint cards, not that they were going to sculpt a particular maximum deck price.

Mikujin posted:

Reprint it and flood the secondary market. People think it will hurt the secondary market - it won't.

It will completely shake the foundation of this game's monetization - the entire reason you buy packs at $4 is because it could have a card in there worth more than $4. Every loving pre-release, this thread gets hundreds of posts that amount to "spent $20, did poo poo, but at least I opened $value card" or "didn't open anything worth $value in my pool, but I won X packs so I made my money back / opened $value in one of the packs."

Literally anyone who thinks that they would buy magic cards at anywhere approaching the current retail price of $90/box if the mythics topped out at X, where X is $20 or lower, with everything else scaling accordingly, is loving delusional.

Because the only reason you're buying them now is because you think they're worth more than the paper they're printed on.

If you want to play Modern for dirt cheap, here you go, here's 4 Karns for 50 cents, assuming you are buying all the supplies necessary including commons from the common box at 10c each.

http://magiccards.info/proxy?add=scans/en/mm2/4&n=4&back=mm2/en/4

But no no no, you say, you want to play Official Magic because that's how tournaments are run, and you want to Win Prizes, which are nearly always either Store Credit, Packs, or Cards, with the exception of The Actual Pro Tour/GPs, SCG, and the smattering of tournaments that are trying to be SCG. Which would all be worthless if these cards were printed into the dirt and modern cost what pauper costs. Your FNMs and your big monthlys and your whatever the gently caress that you go to more than 4 times a year wouldn't have any prizes and you wouldn't loving go.

What you really want is the expensive poo poo for cheap, so you can have it, but you don't want card prices to tank because if they did, you wouldn't have wotc selling packs at $90/box (much less $4/pack) and you wouldn't have tournaments that pay out anything and you wouldn't bother going to them.

If you did want that, you can already do that by printing proxies. But what you want is the Official Fun Exciting FNM Where I Can Win $30 With My $100 Deck Every Week, except you don't get that $30/week prize pool when they aren't selling hot singles at $20+ and packs at $4, you'd get $4 in store credit that would buy you the same number of packs but those packs would be worth maybe $7 when you open them if you run hot in this magical loving print-it-into-the-ground land.

This entire stupid game hinges upon the shared, collective belief that this cardboard is worth something. That's why you are even buying Chinese proxies at $1+each when they cost cents for those chinese guys to print and ship. If you didn't want that collective belief that these dumb bits of cardboard are worth something you'd already be proxying magic with your printer or a sharpie.

The "print this poo poo into the dirt" magic already exists in your desktop printer but that's really not what you're looking for, you just want cheap deals on valuable cards and to screw over this mythical mtgfinancier who is Buying All The Good Cards And Making Them Spike instead of it simply being a bunch of individuals buying 4-ofs of the cards that are actually worth playing and therefore worth money, making them worth more money, because WotC has created an artificial short supply to make you think that $4 for 15 cards and an advertisement to buy more is a reasonable thing, or that spending $12/week on 45 cards is a smart thing when you get pissy about your internet costing more than $50/month despite providing you with way more consumable content than those 180 cards/month at $48.

tl;dr: magic is a retarded game for dumb babies

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Speaking of Magic, this rant is loving Magical :allears:

They probably think they don't need to reprint stuff because people are clearly willing to buy Modern decks even if they cost 2 grand. The people who complain most about it are people are people who are already invested in the format, really.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 3, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Most people who crack packs aren't doing it because they're doing napkin math over expected pack EV lmao what loving world do you live in

edit: The real issue with that would be how many packs retailers would be cracking for singles sales.

second edit: I mean I guess you could argue that gambling addicts are cracking packs hoping for chase rares but I am still pretty sure that most people who crack packs are kitchen table types and retailers.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 3, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sigma-X posted:

They've never said they're going to aggressively reprint them though? They said that they wanted a format where they could reprint cards, not that they were going to sculpt a particular maximum deck price.

It will completely shake the foundation of this game's monetization - the entire reason you buy packs at $4 is because it could have a card in there worth more than $4. Every loving pre-release, this thread gets hundreds of posts that amount to "spent $20, did poo poo, but at least I opened $value card" or "didn't open anything worth $value in my pool, but I won X packs so I made my money back / opened $value in one of the packs."

Literally anyone who thinks that they would buy magic cards at anywhere approaching the current retail price of $90/box if the mythics topped out at X, where X is $20 or lower, with everything else scaling accordingly, is loving delusional.

Because the only reason you're buying them now is because you think they're worth more than the paper they're printed on.

If you want to play Modern for dirt cheap, here you go, here's 4 Karns for 50 cents, assuming you are buying all the supplies necessary including commons from the common box at 10c each.

http://magiccards.info/proxy?add=scans/en/mm2/4&n=4&back=mm2/en/4

But no no no, you say, you want to play Official Magic because that's how tournaments are run, and you want to Win Prizes, which are nearly always either Store Credit, Packs, or Cards, with the exception of The Actual Pro Tour/GPs, SCG, and the smattering of tournaments that are trying to be SCG. Which would all be worthless if these cards were printed into the dirt and modern cost what pauper costs. Your FNMs and your big monthlys and your whatever the gently caress that you go to more than 4 times a year wouldn't have any prizes and you wouldn't loving go.

What you really want is the expensive poo poo for cheap, so you can have it, but you don't want card prices to tank because if they did, you wouldn't have wotc selling packs at $90/box (much less $4/pack) and you wouldn't have tournaments that pay out anything and you wouldn't bother going to them.

If you did want that, you can already do that by printing proxies. But what you want is the Official Fun Exciting FNM Where I Can Win $30 With My $100 Deck Every Week, except you don't get that $30/week prize pool when they aren't selling hot singles at $20+ and packs at $4, you'd get $4 in store credit that would buy you the same number of packs but those packs would be worth maybe $7 when you open them if you run hot in this magical loving print-it-into-the-ground land.

This entire stupid game hinges upon the shared, collective belief that this cardboard is worth something. That's why you are even buying Chinese proxies at $1+each when they cost cents for those chinese guys to print and ship. If you didn't want that collective belief that these dumb bits of cardboard are worth something you'd already be proxying magic with your printer or a sharpie.

The "print this poo poo into the dirt" magic already exists in your desktop printer but that's really not what you're looking for, you just want cheap deals on valuable cards and to screw over this mythical mtgfinancier who is Buying All The Good Cards And Making Them Spike instead of it simply being a bunch of individuals buying 4-ofs of the cards that are actually worth playing and therefore worth money, making them worth more money, because WotC has created an artificial short supply to make you think that $4 for 15 cards and an advertisement to buy more is a reasonable thing, or that spending $12/week on 45 cards is a smart thing when you get pissy about your internet costing more than $50/month despite providing you with way more consumable content than those 180 cards/month at $48.

tl;dr: magic is a retarded game for dumb babies

Counterpoint: Hearthstone and every other f2p Card Game ever.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of which, Hearthstone is now getting a standard. Hoorah?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You do make a good point in sticking up for the internet costs and quality in the USA though *fart noises*

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramos posted:

Speaking of which, Hearthstone is now getting a standard. Hoorah?

I was bored and sick one night so I watched professional Korean Hearthstone on OGN Global. It was okay? I didn't find it super compelling but the crowd got hyphy as gently caress when the underdog dude who was getting rolled hit the perfect top deck.

OGN Hearthstone coverage is already leaps and bounds better than pro MTG coverage but OGN are really great at broadcasting esports and spend money on a quality product so that's not really much of a comparison.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I was bored and sick one night so I watched professional Korean Hearthstone on OGN Global. It was okay? I didn't find it super compelling but the crowd got hyphy as gently caress when the underdog dude who was getting rolled hit the perfect top deck.

OGN Hearthstone coverage is already leaps and bounds better than pro MTG coverage but OGN are really great at broadcasting esports and spend money on a quality product so that's not really much of a comparison.

Both games suck anyway, so eh? All card games not named Euchre are destined to be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

It's much easier to cast a game that is digital than a game that is being played live.

• Locked thread