Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

1000101 posted:

None of these are remotely close to what Nutanix is...

Yeah, oops, I was looking at some of their install videos not the website :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rafikki posted:

A web proxy can do this, but I doubt you really want to go to the trouble of setting one up.

Yeah, probably not doing that. Oh well. The best thing to do would probably be flatten and reinstall, but that isn't a practical option right now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

While I do not advocate age discrimination, I do believe that hiring a 20 something for senior anything is worth at least some additional scrutiny. I remember when I was 26, and while I didn't exactly have poor judgement then, I know that it has only gone up from that point. Honestly, hiring a manager in a diner shows poor judgement on its own. At least do it in a formal setting so that the future subordinates know the interview wasn't just a sham.
I'd previously worked with the team in a non-management role. I understand that there are concerns around inexperience and immaturity, but again, those seem like really bizarre reasons to run the interview process the way that was described on the last page.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I managed a team of 5 and was the lead project guy at age 21. I think I did a pretty decent job. Obviously, I would do some things differently now but I think it can be hard to find people passionate about working hard to improve things and do things the right way. A lot of IT people seem to allow themselves to get stuck in a rut or get so caught up in the day to day they don't take time to re-evaluate what needs to be done.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At what point do you say enough is enough when it comes to interviewing for a job? The most I've ever had was a phone screening, 1st interview that was informal, and then a second more technical interview and overview of future projects and IT needs. If I ever have to past that I think I'll just say no unless I'm really desperate.

Facebook (2013): short phone screen with recruiter. 3 45 min long phone interviews with coderpad where they ask you to solve stuff, after that, on-site (i didn't get the onsite)

2 silicon valley unicorns (2014): Short sync with recruiter, 45 min phone screen with technical person, after that on-site with 6 hours of interviews.

I got the gig at one of the unicorns, hasn't changed remarkably in the last year or so. Seems to be standard for this area.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Hopefully quick / easy one:
What's the best Redhat Linux 6.6 book for administration stuff?

Our Cerner EPR is being moved to their data centre and going from AIX to Redhat server backend. I don't need anything super hardcore (yet), but never really touched Linux at all and something to help me handle the basics would be great. For those "quicker to do it locally than wait on Cerner" issues.

May be something already recommended, but can't remember seeing anything / phone posting (and I'm just lazy, sorry).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

That lovely time as you grow older and wiser where you realize how much more jaded you can become. :3:

The only time you're jaded enough is when you die of cirrhosis.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DigitalRaven posted:

The only time you're jaded enough is when you die of cirrhosistake a boxknife to your liver in an attempt to keep the alcohol from being filtered from your bloodstream.

One thing I miss about my last job is that I could drink if I was stuck there all night fixing whatever thing broke that day.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

DroneRiff posted:

Hopefully quick / easy one:
What's the best Redhat Linux 6.6 book for administration stuff?

Our Cerner EPR is being moved to their data centre and going from AIX to Redhat server backend. I don't need anything super hardcore (yet), but never really touched Linux at all and something to help me handle the basics would be great. For those "quicker to do it locally than wait on Cerner" issues.

May be something already recommended, but can't remember seeing anything / phone posting (and I'm just lazy, sorry).

Why 6.6 and not 7?

Anyways Jang's books for the RHCSA/RHCE are the least lovely Redhat-specific books I've come across that will get you from zero to somewhere without boring you to death.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 3, 2016

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Sheep posted:

Why 6.6 and not 7?

Anyways Jang's books for the RHCSA/RHCE are the least lovely Redhat-specific books I've come across that will get you from zero to somewhere without boring you to death.

The set up choices for our new DC hosting are way beyond my level. I'm guessing it's the version that Cerner likes to use and we're unlikely to shift them on that, as it's their hardware.
Thanks for the book recommendations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So being an F5 gold partner is pretty sweet. F5 will just pay for any training you want to take, as long as it's being provided by their own instructors.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

adorai posted:

While I do not advocate age discrimination, I do believe that hiring a 20 something for senior anything is worth at least some additional scrutiny. I remember when I was 26, and while I didn't exactly have poor judgement then, I know that it has only gone up from that point. Honestly, hiring a manager in a diner shows poor judgement on its own. At least do it in a formal setting so that the future subordinates know the interview wasn't just a sham.

My second job out of college, I was a 'senior software engineer' at 22. Because everyone at the company was a senior software engineer, because it helped when dealing with people at other companies sometimes who might get snooty about talking to a junior guy. Granted, the company was only like 14 people so it's easier to do that kind of thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The only time anyone ever gave a poo poo about my age was when my Taiwanese coworker didn't like 25 year old me explaining to him why his decision to throw a misconfigured firewall on a production network without consulting the change control board or anyone else was a bad idea. He complained to my boss that it was inappropriate for someone my age to be correcting someone his age, and my boss promptly told him to shut the gently caress up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

The only time you're jaded enough is when you die of cirrhosis.

:ssh: Don't tell them our ancient wisdom.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DroneRiff posted:

The set up choices for our new DC hosting are way beyond my level. I'm guessing it's the version that Cerner likes to use and we're unlikely to shift them on that, as it's their hardware.
Thanks for the book recommendations.

What's even more odd is that it's not 6.7. :psyduck:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

psydude posted:

So being an F5 gold partner is pretty sweet. F5 will just pay for any training you want to take, as long as it's being provided by their own instructors.

the downside of course is you have to actually use F5 products.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

the downside of course is you have to actually use F5 products.

F5 is the worst load balancer vendor... except for all the others.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Almost every issue I've seen with F5 is that management considers them networking appliances. They aren't. So the network team keeps punting issues to the application team, who doesn't give a poo poo about them, and then something inevitably breaks and nobody knows what the gently caress to do so they pay someone else to come in and fix the problem and then go back to fighting over whose problem it isn't.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One thing I miss about my last job is that I could drink if I was stuck there all night fixing whatever thing broke that day.

I ran out of desk scotch yesterday. I added a JIRA ticket to myself to get more.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Virigoth posted:

I ran out of desk scotch yesterday. I added a JIRA ticket to myself to get more.

New thread title please.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
God loving dammit how hard is it for a server integrator to execute a runbook. That is all.

(Yet another rack which did not auto provision because they skip the last two steps in our runbook: Disconnect all ethernet cables, request system zeroize, request system power-off. Disconnect power & ship.)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone have any experience with Nextiva or RingCentral for voip? Looking to move my current company off of this ancient nortel system that we pay through the nose for long distance. I dont have the manpower or knowledge to host my own system and really want to just pay someone else to do it. So far Nextiva looks really good, lots of good reviews except for the crappy connection stories here and there. RingCentral seems to be the same, overall good with the occasional crap connection at some customer sites. Also the RingCentral guy managed to bail on a live demo and not answer phone calls or emails for a week so I'm pretty much done with them now.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We use RingCentral for our full-time staff. Works well enough, and personally I've not had any issues that can't be attributed to poor connection on the end user's part. The dashboard is a little janky in some parts but it gets the job done, and in the few cases where I couldn't do what I wanted to do all I had to do was contact support and they sorted me out same day.

I know lots of people here like using the mobile app instead of having to deal with having an actual handset.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

God loving dammit how hard is it for a server integrator to execute a runbook. That is all.

(Yet another rack which did not auto provision because they skip the last two steps in our runbook: Disconnect all ethernet cables, request system zeroize, request system power-off. Disconnect power & ship.)
Don't even get me loving started on vendors and runbooks

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
PCI audits :negative:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our new help desk guy asked if we could buy him a license for MATLAB so he could write a script that would scan all machines on the network on port 22 to tell what operating system they're running

:allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

beepsandboops posted:

Our new help desk guy asked if we could buy him a license for MATLAB so he could write a script that would scan all machines on the network on port 22 to tell what operating system they're running

:allears:

Please initiate him in pdq inventory. THx

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Assuming its a mostly windows environment thats like a two line powershell script.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Even if it isn't, why would you pick MATLAB as the thing to use to write it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Or, like, "nmap -O"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When all you have is a hammer etc...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Even if it isn't, why would you pick MATLAB as the thing to use to write it?

*Cracks knuckles* I'm going to need a paid Visual Studio license for this sumbitch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Don't even get me loving started on vendors and runbooks

We even lowered our volume with them to drive the point home. Then the new vendor couldn't do it either!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

We even lowered our volume with them to drive the point home. Then the new vendor couldn't do it either!
We're the largest customer at one of our vendors and they keep spelling our name wrong no matter how many times we correct them up to the CTO level

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

We're the largest customer at one of our vendors and they keep spelling our name wrong no matter how many times we correct them up to the CTO level

Sounds like we're in a similar position. Though to be honest, they can call me Shirley for all I care if they just run the damned commands. Who do you use?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had a user turn their Outlook Notes into a shortcut to an email folder. :psyduck:

How did they manage that and how do I fix it!?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like we're in a similar position. Though to be honest, they can call me Shirley for all I care if they just run the damned commands. Who do you use?
I'm unable to comment on vendor relationships for the purpose of throwing them under the bus at the moment

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Same buddy :\ :downs::hf::downs:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
After a week and a half all of engineering's servers and vms are now on centos7 with SELinux and firewalld turned on. Feels good man. :smug:

Also I moved everybody to ssh certificates for remote access. Thank gently caress.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How many handjobs did you have to give out to get approval for all that? I reckon I'd get about fifteen minutes in before the uproar from users would cause someone above me to cave and tell me to revert everything.

"Raaaargh what do you mean I don't have a password anymore what is a certificate why is the IT department always trying to make everything difficult raaargh" etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 4, 2016