Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Ebon jags are good. Low, fast (for a heavy) and can hill hump decently. their weakness is a large, protruding center torso, which can be hit from the side. Also they don't get Jumpjets.

but they are still a good choice, a poor man's timberwolf, and they have a place in cw drop decks if thats your thing. I do not regret buying mine. If the nostalgia is there for you i would get them undoubtedly, a solid choice with lots of build variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kilo147 posted:

Well that's a shame. My lance was called the Clusterfuckers. Notorious in my circles, my record was 140 individual dice rolled in a single turn. I killed two 'mechs by killing the pilot with one point headshots. I had something like 3LB20xs, four LB10xs, five LRM5s, and something like 25 ER Small Lasers, though all my old sheets are lost to the ages, so who knows what the armaments were exactly.

I still loving love the Cauldron Born, there any goon recommended loadouts?

Well, switching to UAC10s aint the worst thing. It'd save some weight for lasers, too. Shame about LRMs, though. They were a staple of my old CBT days. Is the Ebon worth it in the end, though?

Also, I cant install Mumble to save my live, some "QTPlugins is not a valid short file name" bullshit.

The ebon jag is ok I think. The arms are nice and high so you can use it to hill hump with, not sure about builds though. It's not as good as the Stormcrow or the Timber Wolf but it's not a garbage robot.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Willfrey posted:

Ebon jags are good. Low, fast (for a heavy) and can hill hump decently. their weakness is a large, protruding center torso, which can be hit from the side. Also they don't get Jumpjets.

but they are still a good choice, a poor man's timberwolf, and they have a place in cw drop decks if thats your thing. I do not regret buying mine. If the nostalgia is there for you i would get them undoubtedly, a solid choice with lots of build variety.

I am way behind on all this. What the gently caress is a drop deck?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

In CW you pick 4 mechs under a certain total tonnage (your drop deck) and drop in each of them one at a time.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Kilo147 posted:

I am way behind on all this. What the gently caress is a drop deck?
So community warfare uses the dropship game mode where you have 4 mech slots, a tonnage budget that you cannot exceed, and if you're on an IS contract you can only use IS mechs ( or if you're a clanner you can only use clan robbits ). How you get to that tonnage limit is up to you, some folks like a nice balanced deck with a mech for every occasion, or you could have two 30 tonners and two 100 tonners.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Wafflecopper posted:

In CW you pick 4 mechs under a certain total tonnage (your drop deck) and drop in each of them one at a time.

ZombyDog posted:

So community warfare uses the dropship game mode where you have 4 mech slots, a tonnage budget that you cannot exceed, and if you're on an IS contract you can only use IS mechs ( or if you're a clanner you can only use clan robbits ). How you get to that tonnage limit is up to you, some folks like a nice balanced deck with a mech for every occasion, or you could have two 30 tonners and two 100 tonners.

Holy gently caress that must get expensive as hell. Can trial mechs be used? Also, any ideas on that mumble error message? I haven't had a PC in like, three years, gently caress if i remember any of that poo poo.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

Holy gently caress that must get expensive as hell. Can trial mechs be used? Also, any ideas on that mumble error message? I haven't had a PC in like, three years, gently caress if i remember any of that poo poo.

Trials can be used. We don't play cw very much so i wouldn't worry about it, also our present faction is inner sphere so you cant use clans with us at the moment

A lot of us have been playing since open beta and have built up a collection of mechs. I think I have around 40 or 50 presently.

Another hard pill you'll need to swallow is you'll want to buy 3 variants of each mech type and grind skills on each one. Welcome to MWO

As for your mumble woes... doesn't goonrathi have a good mumble wiki guide? I'd hunt it down but i am posting from my phone

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Willfrey posted:

Trials can be used. We don't play cw very much so i wouldn't worry about it, also our present faction is inner sphere so you cant use clans with us at the moment

A lot of us have been playing since open beta and have built up a collection of mechs. I think I have around 40 or 50 presently.

Another hard pill you'll need to swallow is you'll want to buy 3 variants of each mech type and grind skills on each one. Welcome to MWO

As for your mumble woes... doesn't goonrathi have a good mumble wiki guide? I'd hunt it down but i am posting from my phone

Lucky you, playing since beta. I've got one mech at the moment. Now, why buy all three variants? Why not buy three different 'mechs instead? Lets see, we still SQUAAAAWWWWK? Also, if we're not doing CW, I could use my Clan 'mech, right? Because there's no way I do CW without being Jade Falcon. And I'm going to sleep. It's 0230 and I've got a hell of a day tomorrow.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

Lucky you, playing since beta. I've got one mech at the moment. Now, why buy all three variants? Why not buy three different 'mechs instead? Lets see, we still SQUAAAAWWWWK? Also, if we're not doing CW, I could use my Clan 'mech, right? Because there's no way I do CW without being Jade Falcon. And I'm going to sleep. It's 0230 and I've got a hell of a day tomorrow.

Three mechs of same chassis to get access to elite skills of said chassis.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Three mechs of same chassis to get access to elite skills of said chassis.

Three variants of the same chassis, so for example you can't just buy the same robit over and over and only go up one mech skill tree.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

Also, I cant install Mumble to save my live, some "QTPlugins is not a valid short file name" bullshit.

Are you running the installer as an admin? Also try installing the latest Quicktime programs/drivers/codecs whatever.

Also a quick Google suggested the error may be due to bad windows add/remove program data, you didn't replace a hard drive recently by chance?

just throwin poo poo out there

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wish theyd just write down the names in the sales, what the gently caress is a BNC-3E? What is a GHR-5H? WVR-6K?
I need to know what to be excited about!

But they did tell you what they are?
Banshee, Grasshopper, and Wolverine

Danger Sale
Lights:
WLF - Wolfhound
UM - Urbanmech

Mediums:
TBT - Trebuchet
ENF - Enforcer
CRB - Crab
VND - Vindicator
WVR - Wolverine

Heavies:
GHR - Grasshopper

Assaults:
BNC - Banshee
ZEU - Zeus

You can never be sure with goons when they feign or need help. But I'm sure this list might help newbies a little bit, perhaps, maybe...

Buy all the Urbanmechs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly the CRB-27SL is a mech with shooty things and the CRB-20 is an entirely different mech with shooty things.

Seriously though if you aren't sure what to buy then just buy nothing at all and just figure out what you want before the next sale.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

But they did tell you what they are?
Banshee, Grasshopper, and Wolverine

Danger Sale
Lights:
WLF - Wolfhound
UM - Urbanmech

Mediums:
TBT - Trebuchet
ENF - Enforcer
CRB - Crab
VND - Vindicator
WVR - Wolverine

Heavies:
GHR - Grasshopper

Assaults:
BNC - Banshee
ZEU - Zeus

You can never be sure with goons when they feign or need help. But I'm sure this list might help newbies a little bit, perhaps, maybe...

Buy all the Urbanmechs.

On the sales page (http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1470-danger-sale), they just list the shortcuts and weight class.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the sales page (http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1470-danger-sale), they just list the shortcuts and weight class.

Yeah I know, but I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not. But I hope the list I made helps

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Trebuchets are not bad at all. XL280, 300 to 325 depending on taste. Decent speed, excellent as light-hunters.

I already had a set of mastered Trebs but sold all but my 7M. Plenty of Mediums do energy+SRMs better than Trebs, but only the Hunchback 4J compares for LRMs. Thanks though! I'm gonna catch some crabs and scratch an itch I can't get rid of :q:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

Yeah I know, but I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not. But I hope the list I made helps

I simply havent memorized every single abbreviation in this game, especially not those i dont play or frequently see.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have no more mech bays for urbys

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have no more mech bays for urbys

You're a monster

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I simply havent memorized every single abbreviation in this game, especially not those i dont play or frequently see.

Get to it!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Willfrey posted:

I've mastered my Ebon-Jags out, and the huge CT is absolutely the biggest issue. Aside from that, I eat anything short of a King Crab or Dire Wolf alive in a stand up fight. Last night I kept killing Maulers 1v1 and dying to lights moments later.

I highly recommend building it with 2 large pulses and 6 small pulses. You can peel poo poo apart like a grape with pinpoint accuracy.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
So the kodiak is coming. If I can get it like this.......

I swear I will spend so much real life cash. I will spend ALL THE MONIES.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's a gay bear!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

i'm gay cuck

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I, too, am gay.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wish theyd just write down the names in the sales, what the gently caress is a BNC-3E? What is a GHR-5H? WVR-6K?
I need to know what to be excited about!

Grasshoppers are kinda garbage anyway, definitely worth ignoring. Too big and they require an XL engine which makes them really squishy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Taking the MechWarrior Online plunge.

Going full Light Mechs

I have no clue what's a good build for light mechs, which doesn't matter since I don't own any.

I hope this level of stupidity quickly earns me a spot with fellow goons.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Buy a RVN-3L, and any arctic cheetah, shoot butts under ECM cover.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Taking the MechWarrior Online plunge.

Going full Light Mechs

I have no clue what's a good build for light mechs, which doesn't matter since I don't own any.

I hope this level of stupidity quickly earns me a spot with fellow goons.

check the OP and second post, some good light builds/info there

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Grasshoppers are kinda garbage anyway, definitely worth ignoring. Too big and they require an XL engine which makes them really squishy

I dunno, they seem pretty XL-friendly due to their thin profiles and you can do some serviceable laservomit on them

there are better options available though

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

i'm gay cuck

You're at an 8, we need you at a 3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

A.o.D. posted:

You're at an 8, we need you at a 3.

all he did was say im gay

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Woah is there some kind of word filter in effect?

That's what I get for not reading fyad, BYOB, gbs, or DnD, I guess.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Zyphoid posted:

So the kodiak is coming. If I can get it like this.......

I swear I will spend so much real life cash. I will spend ALL THE MONIES.

It needs poo poo loads of energy points in the torsos so you can care bear share also

E: also lol at the idiot goons upset over someone wanting this paint scheme

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 3, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So buying the Kodiak when it's up for pre-orders. Don't care if it's utter poo poo. 8 smpls or mpls sounds baller

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thronde posted:

So buying the Kodiak when it's up for pre-orders. Don't care if it's utter poo poo. 8 smpls or mpls sounds baller

plus a UAC/20 and 2 SRMs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bait and Swatch posted:

It needs poo poo loads of energy points in the torsos so you can care bear share also

E: also lol at the idiot goons upset over someone wanting this paint scheme

Just go and quote those goons and see what they actually wrote. Word filters, my dude. Word filters.

Edit: Also if you don't rock the Kodiak with 2 UAC 20 nipples, you are a bad goon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Just go and quote those goons and see what they actually wrote. Word filters, my dude. Word filters.

Edit: Also if you don't rock the Kodiak with 2 UAC 20 nipples, you are a bad goon.

2x LB20x have a certain magical character to them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

2 LB20x, 4 MPLs on the Kodiak-3?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

I tried to talk to 19 yesterday to talk to the devs to try to make the Kodiak have structure bonuses to brawl. Otherwise, the fuckin mech will be DOA and it's literally my favorite clan mech and I am a loving tool.

He did say he'd see what he could do.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Doesnt the LBx-cannons fire a number of X buckshot-pellets of 1 damage each?
Isnt that kinda like the LRM of cannons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey come to think of it, if the Kodiak is going about 68ish with max engine and speed tweak, how fast can it go with MASC?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Doesnt the LBx-cannons fire a number of X buckshot-pellets of 1 damage each?
Isnt that kinda like the LRM of cannons?

yes, which is why you don't see them that often, buuuuuut that's still 40 points of low-heat damage you're putting out, and if you're in brawl range it might not matter as much

edit: and also the only clan mech to have the tonnage to really pull that off is the Dire Wolf, which can't brawl. Kodiak is probably a different story

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 3, 2016

• Locked thread