Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…but…

If they were melted, how are they still in the “game ecosystem”? I mean, what form are they in and why is it impossible for CIG to remove them? What is the chain of transactions and ownership and how is it nor reversible?

I can't even get my head around what the actual problem is, much less why CIG has to go after this guy. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

…but…

If they were melted, how are they still in the “game ecosystem”? I mean, what form are they in and why is it impossible for CIG to remove them? What is the chain of transactions and ownership and how is it nor reversible?

I can't even get my head around what the actual problem is, much less why CIG has to go after this guy. :psyboom:

Yeah, it's really really weird. The guy who did the charge back presumably gets his account closed as a result along with what ever assets are on it. Surely that removes what ever is appropriate from the ecosystem.

How do CIG plan on dealing with this sort of thing once there's a persistent game economy?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:jerky:

Person A buys something, uses a method CIG approved, knew about and encouraged for marketing reasons to bypass a restriction on LTI that CIG put in, also for marketing reasons, to gift the item to Person B, Person B melts the item, buys a LTI version and gifts it back to person A.

Years pass.

Person A tries to get a refund as there's no sodding game as promised, gets told he can't as only has gifted ships. Person A does a chargeback, account gets closed, Person B gets hit with the bill for the chargeback despite not having the item (might have received a few credits tip from person A at most due to the lower cost some LTI items due to CIG marketing reasons).

:lesnick: says it's person B's fault, obviously.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

They don't have to, they chose to because they are iditos. Basically big mistake, now that it is out there, all kinds of disgruntled people know a chargeback will still work. Brace for impact!

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I got a refund a while ago put the PU looks pretty cool right now and I'm thinkin about buying back in. Something small and inexpensive, probably around $1000.

It's ok guys $1000 isn't that much to me and it won't come out of my savings. $1000 is barely anything these days, dinner and a movie will set you back more.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

in short, good news everyone who wants a refund. do a chargeback!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

OK, you guys should calm the gently caress down and think about this. If CIG were to just let those charges go, who would cover the material cost of the ship?

Are you insane? Person B gifted 95-100% of the credit value back to person A as part of the LTI launder that hundreds of people were doing for a full year, those are the credits you track.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

grimcreaper posted:

You lost me at freespace 1 and 2. Those games were incredible when it came to the flight model and felt "right". I still play fs2 every few years.

Absolutely. Freespace 2 is by far my favorite space combat game ever. It just felt right. Good music, good story, good just...everything. And FRED was super easy to learn how to use.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
when I die I want to be melted and removed from the game ecosystem. TIA

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If you LTI laundered anything during 2013, you might want to seriously consider doing a chargeback and getting your account closed now before CIG comes asking you for money.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Iglocska posted:

OK, you guys should calm the gently caress down and think about this. If CIG were to just let those charges go, who would cover the material cost of the ship?

This is a good point, those pixels and/or polygons are expensive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

If you LTI laundered anything during 2013, you might want to seriously consider doing a chargeback and getting your account closed now before CIG comes asking you for money.

I don't understand what CIG could possibly think they're going to achieve by pulling this sort of poo poo. Say this guy refuses to "buy" something just to have it confiscated by CIG so CIG closes his account. He does a chargeback. What now? They go after anyone that he gifted anything to to recoup the losses? Then they refuse and CIG closes their accounts, they do chargeback... what sort of retarded plan is this?

In the real world companies have to suck up charge backs and actually keep their customers happy in order to avoid it. You can't just prey on your remaining customers to recoup the losses!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHbogwIsFQ

LTI laundering which was something CIG encouraged and benefited from for a year, to the tune of millions is "buying pledges from a non-CIG source".

:gary: :gary:

Wait, they're AWARE that he was defrauded, and they're STILL trying to get the cash out of him? What a bunch of complete and utter wankers.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chalks posted:

I don't understand what CIG could possibly think they're going to achieve by pulling this sort of poo poo. Say this guy refuses to "buy" something just to have it confiscated by CIG so CIG closes his account. He does a chargeback. What now? They go after anyone that he gifted anything to to recoup the losses? Then they refuse and CIG closes their accounts, they do chargeback... what sort of retarded plan is this?

In the real world companies have to suck up charge backs and actually keep their customers happy in order to avoid it. You can't just prey on your remaining customers to recoup the losses!

weirdly banking on intimidation into gettin em to drop more bucks on jpegs of ships but with the added bonus that they have no obligation to provide said jpegs

yes this makes no sense. maybe the mask is slippin and they no longer care if folks think they are assholes

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Are you insane? Person B gifted 95-100% of the credit value back to person A as part of the LTI launder that hundreds of people were doing for a full year, those are the credits you track.

Woosh.

Fil5000 posted:

This is a good point, those pixels and/or polygons are expensive.

Those things sure don't come cheap! Also don't forget that if this happens more frequently it would lead to a world wide shortage of those ships

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Barnsy posted:

Wait, they're AWARE that he was defrauded, and they're STILL trying to get the cash out of him? What a bunch of complete and utter wankers.

What are they going to do if he doesn't front the cash? Ban him and still get nothing? It doesn't really seem like they have much of a leg to stand on here but I'm not an expert in confused fuckery on this level.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

o/ is someone waving to another person
o7 is someone saluting another milsperg pilot
o9 means nothing and is "wrong" and so is the choice you should always use

I need to clarify something here.

\o is a person heiling the fuhrer,
o/ is said person seen from behind.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

You've going to have to be more obvious, this is Star Citizen.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

StarbloodKiss posted:

Absolutely. Freespace 2 is by far my favorite space combat game ever. It just felt right. Good music, good story, good just...everything. And FRED was super easy to learn how to use.

I once tried to make an epic capital ship battle map. I spent time on it and then failed to realize the big beam weapons are scripted attacks... i was sad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ramadu posted:

Lights in helmets own because then I can see the face of who's talking. It's pretty cool imo

Lights aren't necessary, but can be useful. Its more of a case-by-case basis.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Barnsy posted:

He wasn't defrauded, CIG were (or would have been if they had delivered the game). A customer bought an ingame item and then charged it back, that is all there is to it. It doesn't matter if the item was gifted to someone else or simply blown up without insurance, if CIG thinks the chargeback is fraudulent then they should fight that not try to extortion the money from a 3rd party.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I love how obsessive these twats get about not giving advertising revenue or 'clicks' to things they don't like.

It's a thing they started doing from the GamerGate poo poo a year or two ago.

"can't give this person a page view, because that would mean i support them! better to just see what they say without exposing myself to their content :smuggo:"

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

AP posted:

LTI laundering which was something CIG encouraged and benefited from for a year, to the tune of millions is "buying pledges from a non-CIG source".

This is pure gold and I see no way it can end in a PR nightmare. Not at all.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Chiwie posted:

This is pure gold and I see no way it can end in a PR nightmare. Not at all.

What I want to know is, has the rug just been wholly ripped out from under the the SC grey market?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

He wasn't defrauded, CIG were (or would have been if they had delivered the game). A customer bought an ingame item and then charged it back, that is all there is to it. It doesn't matter if the item was gifted to someone else or simply blown up without insurance, if CIG thinks the chargeback is fraudulent then they should fight that not try to extortion the money from a 3rd party.

So what they're really doing is defrauding a customer because they have themselves been defrauded by a (very vaguely) related party. Some kind of reverse guilt-by-association payback? And they're presenting this as a solution to “his” “problem”?!

Isn't that racketeering or something? :psyduck::psypop::psyboom::psyicantevenfindaducksuitableforthis:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

AP posted:

gently caress this company

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

You've going to have to be more obvious, this is Star Citizen.

My apologies, ever since the fourth stimpire it's hard to differentiate between trolling and being just utterly bat-poo poo crazy :(

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

lol CIG CS is so borked!

CS: ok we got two options to deal with this issue but option 1 is not possible so you are left with option 2

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
What a superb turn in this adventure!

Can't wait to see how this one plays out

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, if only CIG & Citizens were given some sort of explanation about how and why this system is dumb and bad for people.

If only there was a group of people who talked about this at length on the CIG forums, and in turn were simply called trolls and the like by CIG's incompetent moderation team and Citizens.

If only...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/68600/article-by-themittani-com-exploring-star-citizen-s-grey-market

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/32104/lti-for-all

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

My apologies, ever since the fourth stimpire it's hard to differentiate between trolling and being just utterly bat-poo poo crazy :(

You're forgiven, I think you've done that to me twice so far.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

every week its like how can this debacle get any more complicated or hilariously hosed? oh its cool CIG just found a way

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My Star Citizen story: I was a refugee from MWO when some people in the Word of Lowtax were talking about how optimistic they were about this thing called Star Citizen.

So I started posting in one of the earlier threads, possibly the original Star Citizen Games thread (this was post-KS and I don't know when these threads changed over) to take a look and see if this was for me, since I'd just gotten burned by a crowdfunding/preorder purchase that went sour and still bothers me to this day. People were talking about their ships that they owned almost like they could fly them and that had me curious. I though, "Oh, they've got a playable demo already and you can get ships in it and associate them with your account? Do you get to keep them when things changeover to beta, and then release?"

It was a few pages in before I realized that no, they were talking about ship "pledges" (back when there was still a veneer of charity to the act of donating to the project) and nothing was playable or even set in stone, design-wise. Everyone was actually just imagining based on concept art and initial ideas spitballed by the devs at the time.

It was also around that time, maybe a month or so later, that I started to get concerned since "fully modeled physics thrusters" sounded like an extremely roundabout and misguided way to model movement in a space game. I even had, I think, a fruitful discussion with Octopode about it. I was having doubts as to whether or not that was a good idea, while Octopode was more optimistic as it represented a commitment to the idea of fidelity and realism that up to this point had been unmatched. (Elite would come along and prove that you didn't need to do any of that to feel realistic, all you had to do was know how to play on the player's perception of their ships' mass as well as completely slam dunk the sound design, since audio cues are one of the most effective tricks in the toolbox to draw audiences into audiovisual media.) This discussion was the one that convinced me that, "Oh, the Star Citizen project is going to be a complete mess isn't it?" though I mostly kept civil while some other, also-incredulous posters decided this was hilarious enough to start mining laughs. Agrajag got his avatar around then, good times.

I still regret not trolling hard enough that I could've gotten a probie from the SC thread, but I didn't want to risk losing this av that some nice goon from PTN's BT thread bought me. Something nice for the rap sheet, you know? After I got bored sticking around, apparently a hammer got dropped and the SC mockers got kicked out and sent to GBS with the Doobie's Doghouse posters, and eventually the x-bone happened so I switched over from the SC/Doobie ghetto to what would become the x-bone sharktank. Also lmao that there's a word filter for the xbox one's most common nickname.

peter gabriel debuted there, got his dancing cat avatar and then moved on to greater things :pgabz:

The xbone was worth at least a year of laughs. And a year of awkward "okay now I just feel kinda sorry for MS and 343" (who are actually decent dudes, friends of friends, I felt guilty making fun of their work too much, even when it was MCC). Then I came back to see the GBS SC/Doobs mockthread gone (I think, I wasn't keeping track) and the actual SC thread seemed to have a tide change. The incredibly belligerent pro-SC poster warcrimes seemed not to be posting anymore, which surprised me (because that guy basically sucked all the fun out of the thread whenever he showed up, like an incredibly irate wet blanket), and even formerly optimistic posters were being more skeptical. It got to the point where people were asking Eonwe, who I was then unfamiliar with (I don't know if he was there during the heady days but if he was I'm sorry I didn't notice him) but whose posting was by then notorious, to become OP of the next thread.

So he made the thread, while Beer stepped back and lent him his moral support, and that's when I felt like things went right again. Some time later, possibly months, Derek loving Smart of all people threw his hat into the ring. Apparently he was made mod of a forum called the Smart Room while I wasn't paying attention so I guess he had made peace with his old Petty Internet Rivalry Nemesis, SomethingAwful. Blogs happened, poo poo went absolutely insane, and he even made the latest incarnation of the SC thread. At some point, years ago, I had taken for granted that the Star Citizen project was eminently mockable and I'm pleased to see that people now agree.

Daztek posted:

If you pretend something didn't happen it obviously didn't happen

This seems to be a running trend.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Wisdom. Where does the "materials" of the ship go when melted? I'm guessing they get added to the in-game ship manufacturer's stockpiles, and then get subtracted when the "manufacturer" gets an "order" for a new "ship"?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

We're an organisation that's been funded to the tune of more than $100m+ watch us chase someone over a few hundred bucks because we need to recoup the cost of some pixels.

Mental.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

poor White Lionel Richie, helping people get LTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrrgP3p96o

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wisdom. Where does the "materials" of the ship go when melted? I'm guessing they get added to the in-game ship manufacturer's stockpiles, and then get subtracted when the "manufacturer" gets an "order" for a new "ship"?

Don't you remember those vids about random poo poo spawning non stop in some weird corners of the PU? Now we know. It's a dump for melted ships!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

:gary:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm seriously in shock that a method CIG knew about, were OK with people using, and even for a time approved of it, and then didn't take action against when they felt it was something to distance away from over two years ago is being cited as why that guy owes them $500 because someone else got a refund/charge back.

That is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Don't you remember those vids about random poo poo spawning non stop in some weird corners of the PU? Now we know. It's a dump for melted ships!

I guess those ships suddenly losing textures and falling apart in :pgabz:'s videos are actually take by space repo men then?

• Locked thread