Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PotatoManJack posted:

Man it gets expensive to upgrade weapon skills past a certain point, starting to wonder about my upgrade strategy...

Just don't. We'll all agree not to raise our own weaponskill too. That way noone has to spend out of fear of being clowned by someone with more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spermy Smurf posted:

Urist... Well, I haven't said anything about him yet because he's punching and causing minor bruises to skin.

He was just warming up.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Urist dodges away from... nothing? I don't even know.
Just flexing and getting ready.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Urist McLee decides to join the fight and punches ShortName a few times. ShortName cannot land a blow against the dodgy little dwarf.
See what proper warmup and dodging excercises will do for you.

Spermy Smurf posted:

and then Urist punches his hand so hard that it explodes. In the same instant ShortName bleeds to death, and Urist is awarded the kill. Urist the kill-stealing dwarf, somehow managed to do dick all fight, but gets a kill.
Hey, everything's fair in love and arena death brawls!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Urist McLee's foot is shattered by Jakobs maul, and the dwarf rolls away crying like a little bitch.
I resent that! He just got emotional from his glorious victory over Shortname... :cheeky:

Anyway, I want to thank my teammates for helping Urist carry this fight to victory. :cool:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:If Jazz doesn't unlock the tournament tonight then I'll unlock it tomorrow morning EST:siren:

So update those fighters and I'll see if I can run 3 or 4 before the weekend.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have instructions for the people running our fights where do i put those?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
PM me, ZeeToo, or Jazz.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

It begins.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

GreyPowerVan posted:

I have instructions too: Please make my team win

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That's word for word what the other guy said.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

That's word for word what the other guy said.

:argh:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Man, the betting this round is terribly uneven. Four fights where the payout could be more than eight times what someone's willing to put on that longshot.

And they're not even the fights that I'm feeling confident on; I bet on the three I was pretty sure on, and those are comparatively even! :psyduck:

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
That's probably mainly because I somehow have loads of money at the moment and decided to bet it all rather than do the sensible thing and just hoard it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Klokwurk posted:

That's probably mainly because I somehow have loads of money at the moment and decided to bet it all rather than do the sensible thing and just hoard it.

Hoarding is hardly sensible! Why, a strong economy demands constant expenditure!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spermy Smurf posted:

ShortName puts his spear into Uma's foot, and the human passes out from pain, still enraged. The molemans spear somehow does not kill Uma when it's lodged in her skull a moment later.

This is too perfect.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
B...blood?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

More that Kill Bill starts with Uma Thurman being shot point blank in the face and inexplicably surviving.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 9, Fight 7 :siren:

Hell's Dentists is on the left side of the arena.
Madmartigan (gbuchold) is a male molemarian. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets.
The Abominable Gladiator (Pickled Tink) is a female yeti. She is empty handed and wears a bronze cap, a copper mail shirt, a bronze mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
In Like Flynn (grobbendonk) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Krog Bonesmasha (astus) is a male elf. He wields a copper war hammer and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, leather armor, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.

Lightly Whipped is on the right side of the arena.
Ghost-trees (jon joe) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper flail and a wooden buckler and wears a copper mail shirt.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a female minotaur. She is empty handed and wears a bronze helm and a bronze mail shirt.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a male gremlin. He wields an iron whip and wears a steel helm.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a male strangler. He wields a copper crossbow and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm and a copper mail shirt.

Hell's Dentists is a 2.20 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 22925.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 10426.00 dwarfbucks for Lightly Whipped.

Huh. Something seems different.

In a complete surprise, Jupis left his crossbow bolts at home and charges across the arena with some hammer skill and the butt of his crossbow as his weapon. Abominable doesn't care who has what weapons (or not in Trump's case) and punches the minotaur in the chest so hard that Trump is winded.

The two molemen square off up top, and Ghost-Trees gets a scratch in which counts for first blood!

Abominable is the sole reason the team is named Hells Dentists as far as Trump is concerned. Minotaur teeth fly through the sky as his head is rocked by the yeti's fist. Ghost-Trees watches in horror as a pick appears in his hand. The copper flail drops from his punctured hand. Flynn puts his pick in Jupis' left calf and Jupis falls to the floor.

Things went downhill really fast for Lightly Whipped.

Madmartigan puts his pick into Ghost-Trees foot while Krog Bonesmasha shatters Trump's left leg. That's 3 grounded fighters for Lightly Whipped. Madmartigan gets in on the 'beat up Trump' game and breaks his other leg with his pick.

Another swing from Madmartigan takes the minotaurs hand off.

Grimmik has been completely unable to get a blow against anyone, even a distracted Krog Bonesmasha. Krog finally turns his attention to the gremlin and kicks his eye into pieces.

Trump manages to gore Abominable through his boot, but 2 gladiators keep constant pressure on him with another one taking swings whenever he is free. Trump stays conscious through 2 more shattered legs, an ankle bone being jammed through his crushed calf, a chipped knee bone, and finally a forearm bone being chipped by Krog's deadly hammer. Even Trump has to throw in the towel sometime.

Krog tries to break the minotaurs skull while Flynn pulls on his pick that is now embedded in Grimmiks stomach. Madmartigan takes a moment to chop off Ghost-Trees head even though he wasn't that badly injured. He was floored by a leg blow, but that swing was just one of those lucky ones I guess.

Half a second later Trump is struck down by Krog's hammer.

If you scroll up a bit you'll see Jupis unable (unwilling?) to move. The strangler took a blow to the leg, but hasn't moved nearly all fight since then. He watches in horror as Abominable holds the small gremlin and Krog smashes his arm to pieces. Grimmik passes out from pain. In Like Flynn takes off two limbs with 2 consecutive blows.

Abominable grabs the small gremlin a second time...

...and the gremlin bleeds to death. I thought Urist was a kill-stealing whore. Turns out Abominable is the biggest kill-stealing whore I've ever seen. That was unreal.

Will the crossbow hammering Jupis win against four opponents?

No.

Not even close.

Madmartigan takes his head.

Lightly Whipped did exactly what they needed to in order to win. I mean, they still lost 4-0 to Hell's Dentists, but that was a valiant effort and mid-season change.

Kills:
Madmartigan: 2
Krog Bonesmasha: 1
Abominable Gladiator: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On another note let's give Jon Joe a round of applause for putting his money back into circulation.

The rest of you rich bastards take note. :argh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, you mean a team with wasted skill-points from a previously terrible build didn't pull a come-from-behind underdog victory that would net me absurd amounts of money?

Why, I'm not even sure what to believe in anymore.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I just cracked the top 10 bet leaders. I'm going to start wearing a suit and slicking my hair back like the rich rear end in a top hat I was always destined to be.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Spermy can you run that fight about, I dunno, 9 more times and tell me if we ever win?

And if you're feeling really friendly, make that the official result?

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I can't help but feel a little disappointed I took the 1:2 bait betting against Lightly Whipped. Sure I earned a cool 1469 bux, but I really should be betting more on underdogs if I ever want to reach the top.

Also that crossbow butting tactic scared the poo poo out of me. Is that actually a semi-arguable none-awful move? I can see it working, somewhat, in an alternate universe.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Powerfrog posted:

Also that crossbow butting tactic scared the poo poo out of me. Is that actually a semi-arguable none-awful move? I can see it working, somewhat, in an alternate universe.

Anything is possible in Dwarf Fortress.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Kudos to Lightly Whipped for putting up a valiant effort. It's not quite the approach that I would have used, but that was a pretty together approach to improving the team.

Powerfrog posted:

I can't help but feel a little disappointed I took the 1:2 bait betting against Lightly Whipped. Sure I earned a cool 1469 bux, but I really should be betting more on underdogs if I ever want to reach the top.

It's better than attacking with your bare hands when you're strangler-or-kobold size. And your enemy is bigger. It's not as good as a real hammer.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And with basically 0 points to put into hammer skill (and buying a crossbow) it is going to be an uphill battle all the time.

Edit: No, you lost all 10 fights. You did manage to kill Krog Bonesmasha on the 7th fight.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I would have been better off keeping my whip.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

eh

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'd've said swap to a scourge. At least then you might sever a lightly armored limb.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ramc posted:

I'd've said swap to a scourge. At least then you might sever a lightly armored limb.

This would have been my advice for Ghost-trees. Jupis... I'm not sure about.

Maybe just actually turn into archer.

I like archers.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I was debating if, perhaps, Jupis should have bought a copper shield w/ bashing instead, but decided against it because I didn't want him bashing with his wooden shield.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

This would have been my advice for Ghost-trees. Jupis... I'm not sure about.

Maybe just actually turn into archer.

I like archers.

Well, I had like 6? 7? in lashing. i think 6

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

So update those fighters and I'll see if I can run 3 or 4 before the weekend.

Three or four before the weekend, you say?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

jon joe posted:

I was debating if, perhaps, Jupis should have bought a copper shield w/ bashing instead, but decided against it because I didn't want him bashing with his wooden shield.

He could have sold the wooden one.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

He could have sold the wooden one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe you can block and bash with a shield close enough together in time for that to be useful with just one shield.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ramc posted:

Three or four before the weekend, you say?

Okay, so maybe 2 if you're lucky. Gonna be an hour or so before I even start it provided nothing else breaks today.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 9, Fight 1 :siren:

Worker Cooperative is on the left side of the arena.
Combat Liberalism (Jack the Lad) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron large dagger and wears no armor.
Unthrottle the Axolotl (Zwingley) is a female kobold. She is empty handed and wears no armor.
Jameson the Unruly (alvie) is a male human. He wields an iron two-handed sword and wears a copper cap, a copper breast plate, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Albrik the Insignificant (Tiler Kiwi) is a male kobold. He wields an iron battleaxe and wears a bronze cap, leather armor, leather leggings, bronze gauntlets, and leather low boots.

This Bites is on the right side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper spear and wears no armor.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a steel cap, a copper mail shirt, a silver breast plate, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper whip and a copper scourge and wears an iron cap, leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a copper shield and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, and copper high boots.

Worker Cooperative is a 3.21 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2189.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 682.00 dwarfbucks for This Bites.

Straight out of the gate Knife Toseeu takes a dagger to the head from the gremlin Combat Liberalism. Down below a little bit Albrik the kobold hacks deep into Rolands leg, sending him to the floor.

Jameson strikes from the side with his huge sword, Knife Toseeu's arm is crushed and the strangler passes out from the pain. Holy poo poo that was fast.

Jameson takes her head.

Combat Liberalism continues to stab things, this time it's Sun Tzu's lower arm. Albrik does the same to the werewolf Eyeteeth down below. Another swing from Combat Liberalism and Sun Tzulander falls to the floor. Jameson bites and shakes the elf, then swings his huge sword into Sun Tzu's hand. A second swing crushes the elf's ribs, liver, and opens a few arteries.

Please take note of the bottom blue arrow denoting bodyparts from Eyeteeth. A kobold (Unthrottle) is on that same tile.
Albrik grounds Eyeteeth with an axe to the foot while Jameson takes a second head from the enemy.

Eyeteeth roars in frustration, grabs Unthrottle by the head and throws the puny kobold high into the air. He lands sometimes later, but by the time he shakes off the stun and watches Eyeteeth bite Jameson's leg and thrash him around. Jameson's leg now dangles uselessly and he falls to the floor. Unthrottle begins walking back to the fight. But before Unthrottle can get close, Jameson has collected his third head of the match.

So now it's the grounded Roland against 4 insanely deadly gladiators. Combat Liberalism and Albrik hurt the downed human, and then Jameson crawls within range and sends his hand flying.

The backswing takes his head.

Worker Cooperative dominated that match.

Kills:
:siren:Jameson: 4:siren:

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 5, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Owned.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Hell yeah :black101:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
wait what, unthrottle was empty-handed? uhhh where did i gently caress up

e: thank christ it had no impact on the match, but that's pretty awful if i accidentally sold my weapon

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Jameson the Unruly with a perfect quad-kill clean sweep, taking him to 11 kills and overtaking his teammate and one-time kill leader Albrik the Insignificant, who is finally living up to his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, etc.

Holy poo poo, Jameson.