Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PiCroft posted:

I take it those of us who got XCOM 2 off GreenManGaming have to wait for the day until we get our keys? I'm so excited, I want to preload it.

I fully expect 2k to push the preload/release keys button today around 1EST or tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Or possibly the day after.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Kinda regret spoiling myself to most of the new aliens and tech, but I hope there are some big surprises left that nobody has been able to show us yet. Also can't wait to start customizing my rookies to painstakingly recreate most of the mercs from Jagged Alliance. Gus Tarballs (with a cigar and everything) skulljacking an alien is something I want to see.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lordsummerisle posted:

My main enemy in classic is my own impatience. I just get bored with doing the move+overwatch constantly. The second I break this routine, I die.

Mimetic Skin Assaults/Supports and Kinetic Strike MECs are the cure. Fogbust with confidence!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Kinda regret spoiling myself to most of the new aliens and tech, but I hope there are some big surprises left that nobody has been able to show us yet. Also can't wait to start customizing my rookies to painstakingly recreate most of the mercs from Jagged Alliance. Gus Tarballs (with a cigar and everything) skulljacking an alien is something I want to see.

Spoiler, Valen sides with the aliens after XCOM falls and shows up in this game as a SS2-esque cybernetic midwife running the aliens' Avatar research program on Earth.

But yeah hopefully there are interesting enemies and stuff related to the story that haven't been shown yet.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So the Reinforcement Pack includes 3 coming DLCs, is that right? What do the Goons think about the Digital Deluxe Pack then? I am tempted... Buying, yes...no? :rolldice:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did because i'm going to buy the DLC no matter what it is anyway. The more money this game makes the more likely there is another.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

How interesting does buying MECs maybe, more cosmetic armors, and a new enemy type about 3-5 months in advance sound?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man, I keep defaulting to Miss_Jamball when I go to look at beagles videos. Twitch should really do them a solid and redirect to the new name.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what are the difficulty options for X2? I want to work my way back to xcom through a babymode and then keep increasing it later on. I figure this one will be more agreeable anyway since the ADVENT mission +/- poo poo sounds far more manageable than "capture this loving alien in the midst of a firefight or no story progress also you are losing all funding constantly"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
There's only 4 this time, but it goes from "total newbie" to "beaglerush." I've watched Jamball play on Veteran (2nd difficulty) a few times, it looks pretty easy IMO but it's good to have options.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I think I saw this mentioned a couple pages back, and I'd quote it but I'm not digging to find it. I think what I've been enjoying about the streams the most so far is that every time I see a level in the game, they don't look procedural or random. Every time I look at them they just give the feeling of lovingly hand crafted maps. And that's just amazing.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mr.PayDay posted:

So the Reinforcement Pack includes 3 coming DLCs, is that right? What do the Goons think about the Digital Deluxe Pack then? I am tempted... Buying, yes...no? :rolldice:

I bought it, because back in the day games cost that much anyway. Considering 15 years' inflation and price increase (I'm old now :() it's a bargain!

a cow fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Soothing Vapors posted:

There's only 4 this time, but it goes from "total newbie" to "beaglerush." I've watched Jamball play on Veteran (2nd difficulty) a few times, it looks pretty easy IMO but it's good to have options.

Vet looks like it has the right challenge to be friendly, but I'd like it to have more aliens per pod. Maybe that'll be Commander difficulty? :haw:

Mr.PayDay posted:

I had the money to spare, No real reason other then "I'd end up buying them anyway v:shobon:v"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Thyrork posted:

I had the money to spare, No real reason other then "I'd end up buying them anyway v:shobon:v"
Same here; getting the Pack now and getting all the DLC from it as they come is easier on my wallet in the long run

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Elliotw2 posted:

I fully expect 2k to push the preload/release keys button today around 1EST or tomorrow morning.
They better do it today if the download is a full 45gb and not 25-30 that decompresses to 45. If they wait until Thursday and it is 45gb, anyone with a download slower than around 500 kb/s will still be downloading on Friday.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There was an explosion nearby during the night, I was half-asleep and dreamed that there was an actual alien invasion going on and thought to myself "Firaxis did it again, just like the Paris attacks", then I woke up and remembered that there is a civil war going on. That's my "XCOM 2 gave me a moment of respite from terror" story, thank you, Jake 'Hot Shot' Solomon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

People who have been streamwatching, do they still punish you with lost resources for using explosives? I generally avoid using them (aside from emergencies, like when it spawned nine mutons in a small warehouse that I just opened the door to) so I'm interested if they will be a much bigger deal

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It looks like they still break dropped things, but it's a bit less of a worry since only a few enemies a mission will actually drop anything.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

People who have been streamwatching, do they still punish you with lost resources for using explosives? I generally avoid using them (aside from emergencies, like when it spawned nine mutons in a small warehouse that I just opened the door to) so I'm interested if they will be a much bigger deal

Only sometimes. Mobs drop "loot" now which is an item you have to physically pick up, and if you grenade the poo poo out of them the loot will not drop. You also shouldn't grenade supply crates in specific missions, but Bradford will very angrily tell you when that is an issue.

edit: Yeah not every mob drops loot. You get maybe 1-2 drops per mission.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Same here; getting the Pack now and getting all the DLC from it as they come is easier on my wallet in the long run

I'm just bad with money when games like x-com roll around. It's fine. I'm ok.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does GMG usually send out their game keys on the day of the release or the day of the preload (if there is one)?

Also I will probably play the game on Normal, go up to Hard, and experience Legendary vicariously through Beagle.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ZearothK posted:

There was an explosion nearby during the night, I was half-asleep and dreamed that there was an actual alien invasion going on and thought to myself "Firaxis did it again, just like the Paris attacks", then I woke up and remembered that there is a civil war going on. That's my "XCOM 2 gave me a moment of respite from terror" story, thank you, Jake 'Hot Shot' Solomon.

Do you literally live in Syria

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

RBA Starblade posted:

Does GMG usually send out their game keys on the day of the release or the day of the preload (if there is one)?

Also I will probably play the game on Normal, go up to Hard, and experience Legendary vicariously through Beagle.

They tweeted that they will be releasing the codes later today.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

This is actually quite interesting, as it indicates Iris Pro graphics can play Xcom2. That surprises me, but it's good news for anyone getting a laptop in 12 months.

It doesn't surprise me too much, I mean the graphics aren't Farcry levels of cutting edge (which is fine, that's not why people play the game).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

GMG's tweeted a few times that they're just waiting on 2K to push the button.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh sweet, at work so I couldn't check. Thanks!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

ZearothK posted:

I feel like this got passed over in all the hype. Where do you live? Hope you're okay wherever you are. Stay safe revolution ghost.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I've basically maintained radio silence, just checking the last page of this thread to say this game is going to own.

I know there are snakemans. I know there are potentially snake tits. I watched a little of Beagle play just to make sure the game is still :sicknasty:

Otherwise, I'm going in real fresh and I can't loving wait. I gladly payed for the deluxe edition and my girlfriend is going to hate me on the 5th so much. I can't wait.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Allright, I bought the digital deluxe version via cdkeys for 48 Euro, sounds like a good deal.

dogstile posted:

The more money this game makes the more likely there is another.
Thats one of the best reasons indeed!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I would like this game but not for seventy five US dollars

texasmed
May 27, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

Some people are wary of key sites but as long as they take Paypal I'm cool with them. I don't know what Steam can do about the keys since I assume most sites somehow farm out retail copies and sell the keys for super cheap.

Deluxe for 50 bucks doesn't seem so bad to me, so I did the cdkeys route too.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Those 3 "Long War" mods seem like they should just be in the vanilla game. Do they really need to get everyone to use the workshop on day 1 to promote future mods...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're mods so you can use them as an example to be able to learn how to make your own custom class/gun/alien easier than trying to dissect XCOM2_ALIENS.uc

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

StabMasterArson posted:

But it on gmg for less?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

Those 3 "Long War" mods seem like they should just be in the vanilla game. Do they really need to get everyone to use the workshop on day 1 to promote future mods...

I'm glad they are separate mods, because the smg seems like it's either stupidly overpowered or useless depending upon the damage, and another class when they are already releasing one in a month or two is pointless.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm wondering if the Normal mode has that hidden shot modifier that makes the game easier if you keep missing shots like the first one. It felt kind of lame after finishing my first Normal run in the original when I heard about that.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Back To 99 posted:

Those 3 "Long War" mods seems like they should just be in the vanilla game. Do they really need to get everyone to use the workshop on day 1 to promote future mods...

Firaxis essentially made their version of the game, knowing what specifically they wanted to improve from EW. Feature creep is a very real and very dangerous thing for developers to consider. I'll go ahead and say they masterfully handled the idea of feature creep by limiting their scope AND presenting players with the ability to expand the scope on their own. None of these mods are really as brutal as other long war changes were, SMGs are a nice change (since Johnnylump loves mobility manipulation) at the cost of damage (sans Rangers), officer leaders just make sense and add a dimension of extra power to the player, and the big bad aliens are a counterbalance to them all.

Realistically, Firaxis could have brought LWS on as private consultants and extended development time even further, but they did the smarter route. I made this argument about Long War before and it still holds true now; People who like XCOM will buy this regardless. People on the fence about XCOM will be more likely to buy it if they don't feel completely intimidated and feel like they aren't the target audience.

XCOM is good. Long War is good in different ways. XCOM 2 took the better parts of Long War and integrated them in flat out. LWS potentially might make a new long war for XCOM 2 (though, I'd put my money on crossovers or total overhauls rather than expanding the system this time around).

You don't need to promote the workshop for games anymore, if people know the game will have workshop integration, they're GOING to use it and they're GOING to pound out content like no one's business. I'd wager half of the people playing on day 1 will be designing mods as opposed to actually playing the game (which is flawed, but people will do what they do).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed watching Beagle play it but LW looks like an insanely tedious chore to play myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Long War would be fine if the air game was removed/modified, and maps were designed for its enemy spawns.