Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kid Goku killed more people than Adult Goku.

Hes gotten soft in his old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
then he became a bad dad lol

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sharktamer posted:

You joke, but...

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/episode-bardock-akira-toriyama-super-qa/

Interviewer posted:

Since Saiyans are supposed to have no affection for family or friends, does this actually make Vegeta, who holds his family and wife dear, an even stranger (kinder) Saiyan than Goku?

Toriyama posted:

Vegeta, whose pride had been deeply wounded, sought help from Bulma, and little by little, his ruthless personality changed. Nowadays, you certainly might be able to say that. On the other hand, Goku might not have a sense of family members like Gohan and Chi-Chi except as one of his companions.

So there you have it. Goku is a bad dad, unlike Vegeta.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It's funny that he treats Goten like a little brother in Super.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I mean vegeta actually was there and raised trunks

Goku either keeps dying or just abandons them constantly

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I can't imagine the sort of mental gymnastics required to like Goku, or to think he's good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

projecthalaxy posted:

I can't imagine the sort of mental gymnastics required to like Goku, or to think he's good.

It's not that hard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

It's not that hard.

People here just think of their own dads.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I mean vegeta actually was there and raised trunks

Goku either keeps dying or just abandons them constantly

to be fair, if Gou didn't constantly abandon them, the world would be destroyed due to him not being strong enough. So really, he's looking out for their best interests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

to be fair, if Gou didn't constantly abandon them, the world would be destroyed due to him not being strong enough. So really, he's looking out for their best interests.

Goku is a standin for Japanese salaryman fathers who have to work absurd hours to support their children, clearly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Super Saiyan 3 transformation scene

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Petiso posted:

Actually he did! In a very similar fashion even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoD1BRsKyCg&t=165s

"Why's he moving?"

drat Yajirobe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Goku had a TACOS shirt, he would definitely be good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

He punches people and eats a lot and he's a fun dude to have around

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rudoku posted:

It's funny that he treats Goten like a little brother in Super.

He even looks like the drunk best friend in Gohan's wedding photo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Goku is a standin for Japanese salaryman fathers who have to work absurd hours to support their children, clearly.

I would argue that's almost the opposite of the truth; the whole point of the first episode of Super is that Goku has no interest in being a salaryman, and trains because he enjoys it.

Not that the protagonist struggling to balance work and family necessarily is out of genre; see the ending of Naruto.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He wasn't literally calling him a salaryman. Just that he works and neglects like one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He wasn't literally calling him a salaryman. Just that he works and neglects like one.

My point is that he's not working at all. He's playing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Silver2195 posted:

My point is that he's not working at all. He's playing.

It can be both??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how Vegeta specifically mentions doping being prohibited as part of the World Tournament rules, as if that mattered in the slightest bit at the power levels they've reached.
Also Goku and Vegeta being students together is pretty fun to watch.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 3, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mordaedil posted:

People here just think of their own dads.
Yeah I guess that's the thing, I can easily imagine someone with an actually abusive father looking at the "bad dad" stuff that gets thrown around and get annoyed.

At the same time, that person should probably learn eventually that there's layers and levels because people aren't gonna stop pointing out some of the bad parenting Goku does.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 3, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed. Except it's less about providing for a family and more about finding the biggest, baddest TPS report to conquer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Twiddy posted:

Yeah I guess that's the thing, I can easily imagine someone with an actually abusive father looking at the "bad dad" stuff that gets thrown around and get annoyed.

At the same time, that person should probably learn eventually that there's layers and levels because people aren't gonna stop pointing out some of the bad parenting Goku does.

Lol you have a very weird definition of a bad dad, Jesus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

readingatwork posted:

Agreed. Except it's less about providing for a family and more about finding the biggest, baddest TPS report to conquer.

Hey man business culture is just really competitive okay? Need to get ahead, especially in this economy.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kid Goku killed more people than Adult Goku.

Hes gotten soft in his old age.

If I remember correctly, it's at least inferred that Goku learned his "morality" and a certain respect for life while training under Kami in the heavenly realm. It also happens to coincide with him growing up physically.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Goku had a TACOS shirt, he would definitely be good.

Art would imitate Life:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Archenteron posted:

Art would imitate Life:

Instantly thought of this:

I don't know why it makes me laugh, but it do.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahhahah Special Goku Tacos

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thing is, Goku wouldn't bother making it a taco unless someone else did it. He'd just cook it and eat it whole.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mogomra posted:

Instantly thought of this:

I don't know why it makes me laugh, but it do.

For some reason, the fact that Son Goku there can't write in Spanish to save his life feels perfectly fitting to our good, uneducated, probably mentally damaged hero.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol you have a very weird definition of a bad dad, Jesus.

I think he means that some call Goku a bad dad, which to someone who suffered an abusive dad seems really inaccurate because Goku is a far better dad than they'd ever have and the badness of Goku is really negligible, which is arguably true.

You could instead say Goku isn't so much a bad dad as he is not a dad at all. If that makes sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit:
That is probably too depressing a subject for this, the Dragonball Z thread.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Art would imitate Life:

All I can do is stare at that second right hand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurui Reiten posted:

All I can do is stare at that second right hand.

Wait that not Goku thats J Geil.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I think he means that some call Goku a bad dad, which to someone who suffered an abusive dad seems really inaccurate because Goku is a far better dad than they'd ever have and the badness of Goku is really negligible, which is arguably true.

You could instead say Goku isn't so much a bad dad as he is not a dad at all. If that makes sense.

I know but it's such a weirdly narrow definition.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I actually think this kind of works tbh, since Beerus pretty much goes nuclear when that happens :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharktamer posted:

did memes bully you in high school or something

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I actually think this kind of works tbh, since Beerus pretty much goes nuclear when that happens :v:

i feel that "eating loving pudding" is one use of the word loving too much and drags the flow down

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elfgames posted:

i feel that "eating loving pudding" is one use of the word loving too much and drags the flow down

I mean I'm basically just picturing him as Jim Cornette there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
It would be accurate at least for Goku use bad words on a middle-school level.

"Ow, Krillin don't throw any more drat-rear end gay-rear end fuckin-shitface rocks you fuckbitch"

• Locked thread