Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The second book in the Bone Street Rumba series is out now - the first one (Half-Resurrection Blues) was one I was lukewarm on for a while, but I feel it picked up the pace as it progressed and I ended up really enjoying it. The new one is called Midnight Taxi Tango - these books have terrific titles if nothing else. Anyway, I have purchased it online and hopefully will be able to start it soon.

In the meantime, I'm reading Anasi Boys. I'm not enjoying it as much as Neverwhere or American Gods or either of the Gaiman short-story collections I've read. That's not to say it's badly-written or anything; it's just that Spider sleeping with his brother's fiancée while allowing her to believe he is someone else is a bit ooo-errr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wade Wilson posted:

Just posting a quick PSA that the latest Iron Druid and Libriomancer books are worth getting if you can get them cheap.

I'm baffled Revisionary still isn't available for Kindle in Europe:

What's up with that? Even getting the hardcover seems to be a hassle. Earlier books were basically day-and-date with the US version.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Khizan posted:

The author actually wrote a blog post that explains that.

I like how everyone ignores the abysmal editing on the ebook editions of his books. Lots of typos or poor word substitutions of the there/their/they're variety and some godawful punctuation abuse.

The overall stories are good, but they are just very badly written/edited.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone else read the first book in the Daniel Faust spinoff series "Harmony Black" yet? Just finished it, and really enjoyed it. It has a distinctly different tone and I came into it expecting to find Harmony irritating, but by the end she had definitely grown on me a ton. I'm excited to read the next book in the series out in april after the dangling plot hooks left at the end of the first book, and it'll definitely be interesting to see the two characters and perhaps series collide again, as she's pulled the stick out of her rear end in large part by the end of her book and is no longer the clueless federal agent who doesn't actually know poo poo and is only there to get in the way.

Wade Wilson posted:

I like how everyone ignores the abysmal editing on the ebook editions of his books. Lots of typos or poor word substitutions of the there/their/they're variety and some godawful punctuation abuse.

I ignore it because I literally tend to notice it at all in most cases. When I get really wrapped up in a book it takes some really purple prose to knock me out of the story - I imagine a lot of people are similar or just don't care enough about it to remember or mention it. I always find it irritating when a really good story has a review along the lines of "Really good story, I enjoyed it a lot! But the editing was terrible, 2 1/2 stars"

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 3, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

Has anyone else read the first book in the Daniel Faust spinoff series "Harmony Black" yet? Just finished it, and really enjoyed it. It has a distinctly different tone and I came into it expecting to find Harmony irritating, but by the end she had definitely grown on me a ton. I'm excited to read the next book in the series out in april after the dangling plot hooks left at the end of the first book, and it'll definitely be interesting to see the two characters and perhaps series collide again, as she's pulled the stick out of her rear end in large part by the end of her book and is no longer the clueless federal agent who doesn't actually know poo poo and is only there to get in the way.
Just finished it myself. Mostly enjoyed it, the mystery is sufficiently intriguing and the more cringeworthy bits (anything involving romance - a recurring theme in Faust too) are few and far between (so Schaefer probably realizes that). One scene I very strongly disliked was the confrontation near the end with Angie, because it was both obvious as soon as the whole "Bogeymen are made" thing was mentioned and ridiculously soppy in execution. All in all, a good book - when it comes to schlocky urban fantasy, Schaefer is easily my favorite of the "what to read after you're done with Butcher" bunch.

I'm actually kinda said about the competence growth of the main character - a bumbling investigator totally out of her depth was an interesting angle he could've explored. Guess that one's best left to Cornell's shadow police or whatever the why-the-gently caress-is-Gaiman-in-there books are called.
Oh, and Fontaine is the best and I hope we get to see more of him.

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, this was a big problem. I don't think it's an author issue, it's just that the ebook versions were extremely low-effort (I believe this kind of error mostly happens with scanning and/or autocorrection) and that couldn't help their sales. Still a shame, he had interesting ideas and apparently his current fantasy series is really generic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 3, 2016

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

vulturesrow posted:

So I have to somewhat ashamedly admit that I've read the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. If you haven't read it, the female protagonist is the stereotypical dreck that seems to abound in this genre. However, I stuck with it because I really like the use of Native American mythology in it. Are there any urban fantasy books that have a similar backdrop that aren't quite so bad?

Not really less terrible, but the Jane Yellowrock books by Faith Hunter are similar.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ramadu posted:

Man I just finished up that 20 Palaces stuff and now I'm sad there aren't more of them. Why would a publisher drop them when they publish so many other terrible books?

because terrible books sell. I really wish that series would continue, I finished it a couple of weeks back and thought it was a quite interesting setting and a decent story.

E: I had the dead tree editions, didn't notice any editing issues.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 3, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

vulturesrow posted:

So I have to somewhat ashamedly admit that I've read the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. If you haven't read it, the female protagonist is the stereotypical dreck that seems to abound in this genre. However, I stuck with it because I really like the use of Native American mythology in it. Are there any urban fantasy books that have a similar backdrop that aren't quite so bad?

I like her books because she doesn't fall into the trap of turning them into paranormal romance/sex books. They have more overt romance than say Dresden, but it doesn't interfere with the books, at least not for me. I like her approach to the fae much better than anyone out there right now, actually.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Piell posted:

Not really less terrible, but the Jane Yellowrock books by Faith Hunter are similar.

The Jane Yellowrock books are alright, although the mythology gets a little ridiculous later on.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Twisted up in itself ridiculous or over the top ridiculous?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Holyeskimo posted:

Twisted up in itself ridiculous or over the top ridiculous?
The former.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Mercy Thompson and Jane Yellowrock are the pinnacle of well written compared to some of the dreck I've come across.

Kate Daniels series is pretty decent, and if you can tolerate Mercy then the sister series Alpha and Omega is worth a look. I got on OK with the first Spellcrackers book but not enough to read the rest.

I don't see it recommended here but I got a kick out of the first three books in the Descent series by SM Reins. Not classics by any means but I liked the idea

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been giving the Dresden TV series a try. It's not bad! Different from the books, obviously, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has its own identity. Paul Blackthorne is a lot of fun in it; if they tried it again, they should have him back and just make Dresden a decade older.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been giving the Dresden TV series a try. It's not bad! Different from the books, obviously, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has its own identity. Paul Blackthorne is a lot of fun in it; if they tried it again, they should have him back and just make Dresden a decade older.

Blackthorne would make a much better Nicodemus if they did a reboot.

The best parts of that show were him, Bob, and Morgan. Morgan was so good that for the first half of the book series (which I read after watching the show) I couldn't stop picturing Conrad Coates as Morgan.

Bob, on the other hand, never ceased to be Terrance Mann.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. Stephen Amell could be Dresden, Blackthorne could be Morgan and John Barrowman could be Nicodemus. :D

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Heh. Stephen Amell could be Dresden
I just can't see Amell portraying a sufficiently goofy Dresden. Then again, my only exposure to him was Arrow and he manages to go through three seasons with a grand total of one scowl.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I was just joking about - I've only seen him in Arrow. :D

What current actors would play a good Harry? (Or anyone else in the cast, for that matter.)

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The guy that plays Weather Wizard on the Flash has some very Dresdenish powers, and there was one scene in the christmas special that I swear was a callout to Harry's lightning strike in the first book. No idea if he could pull off a lead role, though.

VVV Guess I need to get around to Spartacus

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 6, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
He did pretty drat well as Spartacus in the show Spartacus, so yeah, I think he can handle a leading role.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird coming to the Storm Front adaptation three-quarters of the way through the Dresden TV series. It was the original pilot, cut down from a TV movie. Bob isn't in it; Susan is in it but doesn't appear (as far as I'm aware) in any of the remaining episodes.

Does anyone else find it very frustrating when there's a TV series that only lasted one season but the DVD still says "The Complete First Season" on the front of the box? Drives me nuts!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well to be fair it is the complete first season.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i am eagerly awaiting the next disaster to strike Murphy in the new book. At this point, its a sick game to see how butcher can marginalize her yet keep bringing her back.

i predict the final trilogy opens with dresden finding her stuffed in his fridge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheat Loaf posted:

What current actors would play a good Harry? (Or anyone else in the cast, for that matter.)

With Harry you need someone who broods a bunch but is also smarmy. Sort of an Andrew Garfield character, but less British.

Also I like the guy they got for Ra's in Arrow for Nicodemus. He didn't have a lot to do but he played the weary evil mentor part well. Maybe Liam Neeson since he was supposed to be in Arrow as Ra's but had a conflicting schedule.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If I had an unlimited budget I think Christoph Waltz as Nicodemus would nail it. Not as a rehash of a role he's already played, I just think he's got the chops to do it wonderfully. Although i'm fairly terrible with my casting thoughts so take that with a grain of salt.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I always saw Nicodemus as Nestor Carbonell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

If I had an unlimited budget I think Christoph Waltz as Nicodemus would nail it. Not as a rehash of a role he's already played, I just think he's got the chops to do it wonderfully. Although i'm fairly terrible with my casting thoughts so take that with a grain of salt.

Holy poo poo yes. Malevolently affable one second, turning to spiteful fury the next.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I reas this as Christopher Walken at first. The look, yeah I could see that. The Weird. Stilted. Talking? Not so much.

It was still funny to picture though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I always saw Nicodemus as Nestor Carbonell.

I can't unsee this now. Nicodemus has been mentally cast for me, forevermore.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Nicodemus is Max von Sydow.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Anias posted:

Nicodemus is Max von Sydow.

Tom Ellis, once that Lucifer TV show gets cancelled.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I bet Joel McHale could pull off Harry

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
He'd be a good Harry, he's great at Harry's style of cheesy snark

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

tessiebee posted:

Kate Daniels series is pretty decent

I've been reading this series recently and it's pretty good, Kate is refreshingly bloodthirsty without being a jerk.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Magres posted:

He'd be a good Harry, he's great at Harry's style of cheesy snark

Plus he's freakishly tall, at least in TV terms

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Still say Vincent Ventresca would be good, and he's also probably free right now

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the meantime, I'm reading Anasi Boys. I'm not enjoying it as much as Neverwhere or American Gods or either of the Gaiman short-story collections I've read. That's not to say it's badly-written or anything; it's just that Spider sleeping with his brother's fiancée while allowing her to believe he is someone else is a bit ooo-errr.

I bailed on Anansi Boys the moment I realised Fat Charlie was pushing through the wrong crowd to deliver the speech, glad to see I didn't miss much

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Still say Vincent Ventresca would be good, and he's also probably free right now

I'd watch The Invisible Wizard.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally picked up the new Libriomancer and I'm about a hundred pages in. The characters and dialogue are getting a bit better , and I like how the reaction to magic is a modern day HUAC doing a literal witch hunt.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, there was a new Dresden Files short story in an anthology called Unbound last year named "Jury Duty". I had assumed it would have taken place earlier in the book chronology, but nope it's taking place after Skin Game because the 1st page starts with Will Borden helping Harry move his stuff off the island.

gonna b gud

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Just read it. Short but sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slanderer posted:

So, there was a new Dresden Files short story in an anthology called Unbound last year named "Jury Duty". I had assumed it would have taken place earlier in the book chronology, but nope it's taking place after Skin Game because the 1st page starts with Will Borden helping Harry move his stuff off the island.

gonna b gud

Thanks for the heads up on this one!