Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

I thought it was funny when I read it before I got into IT. Now that I'm working on my CCNA I find it hilarious

I was obsessed with Dilbert when I was in middle school for some reason, and every now and then I go back through old comics now that I actually work in IT and actually get the jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's awesome. Would you have actually gone back at that rate/configuration?

Maybe. $75k is mansion money around here.

But who am I kidding, gently caress that place.

Last night, they sent a new hire reporter to storm chase. At night. With no radar. Alone.

He was apparently standing at the entrance to a prison doing a self live shot and a tornado ripped apart the entrance on the other side, probably 200 yards away.

No one has told him he almost died.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 3, 2016

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have never quite figured out if people actually like Dilbert or if everyone just ironically talks about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pr0digal posted:

I thought it was funny when I read it before I got into IT. Now that I'm working on my CCNA I find it hilarious

Beat me to it!

myron cope posted:

I have never quite figured out if people actually like Dilbert or if everyone just ironically talks about it.

I think people like the strip, not so much the author.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

myron cope posted:

I unironically enjoy Dilbert comics.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

neogeo0823 posted:

I imagine a disheveled, frazzled, smelly hobo of a man, sitting in a pile of circuit boards, clearly out of his mind, broken, and mumbling to himself that he's just gotta find one that's not broken. Surely, one of these has to not be broken, and will fix this whole mess once he finds it and gets it plugged in.

Just to clarify, Larches: the actual fix is to simply unplug one box and leave it off for a few hours, then reconnect it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

But who am I kidding, gently caress that place.

Last night, they sent a new hire reporter to storm chase. At night. With no radar. Alone.

He was apparently standing at the entrance to a prison doing a self live shot and a tornado ripped apart the entrance on the other side, probably 200 yards away.

No one has told him he almost died.

That's simultaneously the most awesome, and dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

myron cope posted:

I like it. :shobon:

larchesdanrew posted:

You could have added "replace the CE" to your terms.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Just to clarify, Larches: the actual fix is to simply unplug one box and leave it off for a few hours, then reconnect it?

I too am curious about the actual fix. Do you think CE knows deep down inside that your procedure is correct, but he just can't bear the thought of his former peon being better at his job than he?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it'd be better to just completely misunderstand and go with something like "Sure, I can give you some advice on the kind of stuff you should put in job postings, questions for interviews, etc."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm actually kind of curious to what the error could be. If DHCP devices stop working, it sounds like there's a rogue DHCP daemon on the network.. But unless the unplugged device randomly starts one up, I can't see how unplugging it solves the problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector_666 posted:

I was obsessed with Dilbert when I was in middle school for some reason, and every now and then I go back through old comics now that I actually work in IT and actually get the jokes.

One of my prize possessions is that big single-volume Dilbert 2.0 hardcover collection of some 2000+ Dilbert strips. I got it for an insanely bargain price of $30AUD back when it normally went for about $150.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm actually kind of curious to what the error could be. If DHCP devices stop working, it sounds like there's a rogue DHCP daemon on the network.. But unless the unplugged device randomly starts one up, I can't see how unplugging it solves the problem.

$1 says the Buffalo NAS is the culprit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm confused both about the issue and how powering down the box to swap out NICs doesn't meet the "Unplug it and let it sit" criteria.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

I too am curious about the actual fix. Do you think CE knows deep down inside that your procedure is correct, but he just can't bear the thought of his former peon being better at his job than he?

My guess is that the CE has not bothered to read the fix, even if he is aware of the documentation, because larches is the one who produced it. He has written larches off as an incompetent traitor, therefore anything he produced is not worth anyone's time.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm confused both about the issue and how powering down the box to swap out NICs doesn't meet the "Unplug it and let it sit" criteria.

There's the device causing the issue, and the device affected by the issue. The CE is trying to fix the device affected instead of hunting down the cause.

He's replacing one good NIC with another and not getting anywhere because the answer is across the room.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spog posted:

Yep. That's the whole fix. A permanent solution would be to set up a second NIC in the server and have it directly connected to the ASR device, but that'll never happen because it was my idea.

stubblyhead posted:

Che Delilas posted:

My guess is that the CE has not bothered to read the fix, even if he is aware of the documentation, because larches is the one who produced it. He has written larches off as an incompetent traitor, therefore anything he produced is not worth anyone's time.

He actually tried my fix, but he just unplugged the network cable and then plugged it right back in. No letting it sit overnight. Whatever, I want to see how long this goes on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How the gently caress did you even work out the "unplug from network, leave for a while" method was the actual fix?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress did you even work out the "unplug from network, leave for a while" method was the actual fix?

"Okay, you know what, FINE. gently caress THIS I'll just deal with it in the morning"

*goes home without plugging it back in*

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Asmodai_00 posted:

"Okay, you know what, FINE. gently caress THIS I'll just deal with it in the morning"

This. This right here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DigitalMocking posted:

This. This right here.

Possibly preceded by unplugging everything in the room to test. I once unplugged multiple 48 port switches after a similar issue and had been working on it for 12 hours straight. Found the issue to be a camera of all things. It kept saying it already had the address so DHCP would go to assign another one until it ran out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

I HAVE BEEN A CLIENT SINCE 5/19/08 AND HAVE ORIGINAL DSL MODEM, WHICH I EVENTUALLY ADDED A WIFI EXTENSION. I NO LONGER NEED DSL==ONLY WIFI. SHOULD I HAVE A FASTER REPLACEMENT MODEM FROM YOU FOR THE PRICE I PAY FOR MY SERVICE?

I can't wait to see how badly this goes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJP posted:

Give them two rates: one to fix the problem, and one that gets applied retroactively and going forward if you have to speak to or even see the CE.

Do this - break it down as:

$150/hour, minimum 2 hours, base fee
$250/hour, minimum 4 hours, to fix anything CE is too lazy/stupid to fix
$400/hour, minimum 4 hours, for anything the GM knows about and refuses to get fixed while keeping CE employed

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, it's the same conversation I've done before, but around here, $8 an hour is normal and $16 an hour is straight up middle class. He would have moved up an entire rung on the social ladder if he had just tried even a little.

I just don't understand people sometimes. A simple "I've been studying for Net+ and A+ certification, working with new hardware/software on my own time, and researching anything I'm unsure of in order to expand my knowledge and understanding". Boom, straight to the point, maybe add a little elaboration and past work, perhaps a little small talk or regular conversation, and you've got a decent interview that hits 30-60 minutes and makes you look like a rock star.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Asmodai_00 posted:

Bingo. I went through and unplugged every single networked device in the room one at a time after replacing both switches (buffalo lol), while having a ping - t going on one of the computers. As soon as I saw normal ping times, I discovered I had unplugged the loving sensor heads. It has nothing to configure, so I left it unplugged so they could at least do graphics on a hard set in the morning until I could call the company that installed the device. When I got in the next day and plugged it in, it was working fine :shrug:

EDIT: Just went back and found the post where I encountered this problem. How could I have forgotten that CE blamed the problem on an "etherblast?"

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 3, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

larchesdanrew posted:

How could I have forgotten that CE blamed the problem on an "etherblast?"

:nsallears:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

EDIT: Just went back and found the post where I encountered this problem. How could I have forgotten that CE blamed the problem on an "etherblast?"
:3: aww, the memories.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Trying to track down why machines are sleeping and causing SAN issues even though I've been over their settings with a fine tooth comb. Turns out it's users putting the machines to sleep themselves.

:bang:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Trying to track down why machines are sleeping and causing SAN issues even though I've been over their settings with a fine tooth comb. Turns out it's users putting the machines to sleep themselves.

:bang:

Theres a quick GPO to disable that if you need to. Computer Config, Admin Templates, System/Power Management/Sleep Settings: Allow Standby States When Sleeping (Plugged In) set to disabled.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You should warn the CE that the etherblast issue is back. I'm pretty sure that's the best way to proceed in this situation.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You have to admit that an "etherblast" sounds pretty badass, even if it is complete nonsense coming from a seemingly deranged mind.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Theres a quick GPO to disable that if you need to. Computer Config, Admin Templates, System/Power Management/Sleep Settings: Allow Standby States When Sleeping (Plugged In) set to disabled.

I'll keep that in my back pocket for Windows but this is on Mac. The solution is
code:
sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1
This will gray out the sleep option in the Apple menu.

There is also
code:
pmset -a sleep 0 disksleep 0
But that doesn't stop the fuckers from sending the machine to sleep themselves. Sleeping machines cause files to become locked with makes other machines on the SAN very angry when listing directories.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Someone posted the link last time, but I still like the top result on Google for etherblast: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ether_Blast

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
My key. Board is not working, right?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
deformed staple obstructing enter key

deformed staple, cracker crumb, and... what may have been a wad of earwax obstructing spacebar

:shepface:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are some people that make me wish I carried disposable rubber gloves around for when I need to use their keyboard or mouse.

Why the hell do some of those feel greasy and/or sticky?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are some people that make me wish I carried disposable rubber gloves around for when I need to use their keyboard or mouse.

Why the hell do some of those feel greasy and/or sticky?

That's why I carry one of these with me

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Thread: question, for those of you who work remotely but not at a desk, do you have any variant of a laptop-desk you use? My wife was looking at the dharma desk but $250 on a laptop desk made of plywood is excessive.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 3, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

That's why I carry one of these with me

That reminds me I need to put a little USB keyboard in my bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

$250 on a laptop desk made of plywood is excessive.

What the gently caress for $250 you buy a cheap used table saw and crank those out and sell em for $50.

• Locked thread