Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
a 1password vault is a single file that you can put wherever. it doesn't matter if you use dropbox, onedrive, or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put the file on your Dropbox, problem solved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The entire conversation is about having a vault that isn't on a cloud server, keep up kiddos.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
how the poo poo do you expect to sync your vault then?

like, what is the ideal here?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you have a pathological fear of an encrypted file using a file dump as a simple bag man?

I dunno, probably BitTorrent Sync.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

how the poo poo do you expect to sync your vault then?

like, what is the ideal here?

The Enpass mentioned earlier supports owncloud.

btsync would be cool too, though no one gives it any attention.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

The Enpass mentioned earlier supports owncloud.

btsync would be cool too, though no one gives it any attention.

not to beat a dead horse but all 1password does is drop a file in a folder. if your folder is synced via owncloud then it will work fine. same with btsync too i guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
just use the vault file the gently caress is happening. put it on a flash drive then open the vault file with 1password.

hel, if you want to be super safe with your shits, make it so 1password can't connect to any servers at all and use the flash drive exclusively.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

noirstronaut posted:

just use the vault file the gently caress is happening. put it on a flash drive then open the vault file with 1password.

hel, if you want to be super safe with your shits, make it so 1password can't connect to any servers at all and use the flash drive exclusively.

This of course works, but the problem is the iOS app is sandboxed and can't get to random user folders.

In fact, regarding 1Pass I'm sure Agilebits would have supported arbitrary vault locations a long time ago, were it not for iOS sand boxing every app. I believe 1Pass on Android (dated though it may be) does support arbitrary vault locations and can be made to work with something like BT Sync.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So only tangentially an iOS issue, but the strong rumors are that Apple is making a bid to purchase Netflix. This purchase would be enormous and likely change the way digital content is distributed across Apple platforms.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That would rule pretty hard. I can see Netflix holding out for a ton of money though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

bobfather posted:

That would rule pretty hard. I can see Netflix holding out for a ton of money though.

Well, there are basically multiple overlapping rumors. Apple wants in on digital media and content big time, and the big, firm rumor is a bid on Netflix. Alternatively, there are feelers out there for purchasing Time Warner. Can you imagine an Apple/Time Warner corporation?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They can add it as a new section of iTunes.app :getin:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:suicide:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

DON'T YOU EVEN!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cool you came up with the one reason for me to cancel the grandfathered streaming plan I still have and rarely use.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
if you've experienced apple music, I don't know how you could want apple to buy netflix.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

maduin posted:

if you've experienced apple music, I don't know how you could want apple to buy netflix.

Absolutely this. They'd find some way to make the netflix UI even worse.

I don't know how but they'd find it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it an inherent limitation of iOS remote mouse/keyboard apps that they can't control Windows for some system stuff like ctrl+alt+delete, the task manager, and UAC operations? I've tried three so far and they have all had that problem.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 2, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty sure TeamViewer works fine with all of that stuff. I haven't had any issues with it at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm pretty sure TeamViewer works fine with all of that stuff. I haven't had any issues with it at least.
Is Teamviewer just a remote desktop program or am I missing something? I meant just remote keyboard/mouse, like remotemouse or Intel's app, for the purpose of sofa PC use. Either way I just tried ctrl+alt+del on that and it didn't work anyway. I figured it was an inherent limitation of Windows that it only allows an actual keyboard to do stuff like that.

edit: Remotemouse's faq claims that I just need to turn off UAC, but it seems that the mouse and keyboard get disabled for programs that need administrator permission even if it isn't asking me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 2, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Teamviewer just a remote desktop program or am I missing something? I meant just remote keyboard/mouse, like remotemouse or Intel's app, for the purpose of sofa PC use. Either way I just tried ctrl+alt+del on that and it didn't work anyway. I figured it was an inherent limitation of Windows that it only allows an actual keyboard to do stuff like that.

edit: Remotemouse's faq claims that I just need to turn off UAC, but it seems that the mouse and keyboard get disabled for programs that need administrator permission even if it isn't asking me.
Whoops, totally misunderstood! Yeah it's just a remote-desktop thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it an inherent limitation of iOS remote mouse/keyboard apps that they can't control Windows for some system stuff like ctrl+alt+delete, the task manager, and UAC operations? I've tried three so far and they have all had that problem.

I've done ctrl shift escape on Win 7 using Mobile Mouse Pro. Something may have changed but it worked as you'd expect.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not just iOS remote apps. If you let any third-party app click your UAC dialogs, that kinda defeats the purpose of UAC dialogs. Ctrl-alt-delete is the same way, since it's used to control logging on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PFlats posted:

Not just iOS remote apps. If you let any third-party app click your UAC dialogs, that kinda defeats the purpose of UAC dialogs. Ctrl-alt-delete is the same way, since it's used to control logging on.
Okay, that's what I figured. I wondered if I could ditch my wireless keyboard/trackpad and just use my iPad for sofa PC use, but I guess sometimes I will still need it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PFlats posted:

Wait, why are people still using Ctrl alt delete? It's sucked since win 7 when they moved the task manager to Ctrl alt shift escape. The task manager shortcut still works with the remote apps, though Ctrl alt delete doesn't.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 3, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Wait, why are people still using Ctrl alt delete? It's sucked since win 7 when they moved the task manager to Ctrl alt escape. The task manager shortcut still works with the remote apps, though Ctrl alt delete doesn't.
For me, as soon as the task manager starts, no matter how I start it, the remote mouse stops responding. And again, this is with UAC turned off.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Anyone tried out Airmail? I'm currently making do with Outlook but still haven't found the perfect substitute for Mailbox (RIP - gently caress dropbox etc.)

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Is there a goon-favorite YouTube app? I've been using Tubex but it seems to have a problem keeping me logged in; I'd prefer something that is updated with support for iOS 9 split screen / PiP / iPad Pro resolution.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do you have to have the Facebook app installed in order to share things on Facebook from other apps? Or can you just provide your credentials in settings and that should work?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Do you have to have the Facebook app installed in order to share things on Facebook from other apps? Or can you just provide your credentials in settings and that should work?

Yeah if you put your FB login in the iOS settings you can share from whatever app no problem. I don't install the FB app either.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

tuyop posted:

Wait, why are people still using Ctrl alt delete? It's sucked since win 7 when they moved the task manager to Ctrl alt shift escape. The task manager shortcut still works with the remote apps, though Ctrl alt delete doesn't.

Not to derail but, Ctrl shift escape has brought up the task manager since at least XP.

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 3, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been hitting control-alt-delete to get task manager almost my whole computing life, it's a habit I just can't break.

Even though there are several easier/faster ways to get it.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Ctrl+Shift+Esc is an awesome shortcut though. All on the left edge and you can hit it with the thumb and first two fingers of your left hand. It's dope.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

Is there a goon-favorite YouTube app? I've been using Tubex but it seems to have a problem keeping me logged in; I'd prefer something that is updated with support for iOS 9 split screen / PiP / iPad Pro resolution.

I think all of the third party YouTube apps have this issue. Protube or whatever does at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've never had a login problem with ProTube

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

Not to derail but, Ctrl shift escape has brought up the task manager since at least XP.

Is that when they moved common "oh poo poo" options like changing your password and switching users to the oh poo poo button combination for no loving reason?

Like, oh man I tried to delete this photo of Jesus and my computer is freaking out, better change my password!

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Flux Wildly posted:

Anyone tried out Airmail? I'm currently making do with Outlook but still haven't found the perfect substitute for Mailbox (RIP - gently caress dropbox etc.)

Have you tried Spark? It's really nice.

Didn't know there was an iOS version of Airmail. Will have to check it out now.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i still can't scroll around properly in emails using spark. does anyone know how to fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I did not know about ctrl shift esc. I feel like an idiot. This is the best discovery of the decade for me. Thank you goons.