Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

synthetik posted:

Cabin in the woods was Joss Whedon. Drag me to Hell was Raimi.

Cabin in the woods was Drew Goddard. Joss Whedon was just a co-writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

He "can't" read it because he finds it incredible dense/boring/impenetrable and doesn't have the patience to work his way through it like Somerset does. He's a reckless guy who rushes into things, as is demonstrated many times in the movie such as the scene where he kicks the door in despite Somerset's warnings and then they have to pay a homeless person to lie about informing them to come in because she saw the killer.

And he later gets a "Cliff's Notes" version of the reading material to better understand it. He has no problem reading that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

No, that was because you're a bad dad and made your poor daughter watch the SW prequels.

She hates the original Star Wars movies because the actors look weird and the special effects suck.

I can't argue with her on those points. The prequels have cute boys with long hair and you can't see the wires (matte boxes) around all the spaceships. As much as I hated the prequels, Lucas was right in that they were made for kids. A lot of kids probably care about episode 7 only because they saw episodes 1-3.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krispy Kareem posted:

She hates the original Star Wars movies because the actors look weird and the special effects suck.

I can't argue with her on those points. The prequels have cute boys with long hair and you can't see the wires (matte boxes) around all the spaceships. As much as I hated the prequels, Lucas was right in that they were made for kids. A lot of kids probably care about episode 7 only because they saw episodes 1-3.

Get the Despecialized Editions of the original movies. They look absolutely amazing, and include only the good parts from the special and HD editions, namely the cleaned-up original effects.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

death .cab for qt posted:

I always found it odd that the movie was so focused on the seven deadly sins but it ends with Brad Pitt getting to third base

Hahahahahaha I'm ashamed at how long it took me to get this

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is 1970s Mark Hamill NOT a cute boy with long hair? I saw the original trilogy during the 20th anniversary re-release (when I was 10), and I was smitten. :allears:

I saw the prequels as a child and knew they were terrible even then.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahahahahaha I'm ashamed at how long it took me to get this

I still dont get it

zbn
May 11, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I still dont get it

He got head I guess

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

By that logic you could argue he slid into home when he got in that box.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In the movie Burn After Reading, Brad Pitts character is illiterate.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

In the movie Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character is illiterate because he's imaginary so he can't read jack poo poo.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MariusLecter posted:

In the movie Burn After Reading, Brad Pitts character is illiterate.
huh? There's a scene where he's reading the files they find in the locker room.

e: did i just get whooshed

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is 1970s Mark Hamill NOT a cute boy with long hair? I saw the original trilogy during the 20th anniversary re-release (when I was 10), and I was smitten. :allears:

I saw the prequels as a child and knew they were terrible even then.

Mark Hamill was 70's attractive. Which means he's been a voice actor since the 80's.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My wife hates Bradd Pitt (for some reason), but loves Gwyneth Paltrow (for some reason). She also doesn't have the patience for slow-burning suspense movies. So I was incredible suprised when she actually agreed to watch Se7ev, a movie the knew literally nothing about.

She fussed and complained for the first half of the movie. When my favorite actor showed up two thirds of the way through, she rolled her eyes, but K-Space worked his magic and she was intently silent for the rest of the movie, up until the climax.

When Brad Pitt got to third base she was absolutely devastated. Sobbing. It was fantastic. I don't get to pick movies anymore.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

In True Romance Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

Kids of the 70s agreed, apparently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smiling Jack posted:

In True Romance Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

Yeah, but God help you if you act condescending to him about it :ohdear:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
In World War Z, Brad Pitt is fully literate; however, in the upcoming sequel it will be revealed he can only read Spanish text.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Did you know Brad Pitt was illiterate in [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Pitt_filmography[/url[

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I pick Kalifornia.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

As the ultimate method actor Brad Pitt spent years training himself to be unable to read.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Smiling Jack posted:

As the ultimate method actor Brad Pitt spent years training himself to be unable to read.

That sounds more Daniel Day-Lewis.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Smiling Jack posted:

It backfired when he was handed the script to Babel and found himself unable to learn his lines.

He then learned braille within a two month period and he has been receiving scripts in braille ever since.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

I love this, and by default, you

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Krispy Kareem posted:

Mark Hamill was 70's attractive. Which means he's been a voice actor since the 80's.

WickedHate posted:

Clearly I was born too late.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brad Pitt is illiterate irl but learned to read braille with his mouth and now supplements his income by giving palm readings on women's cooters

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Brad Pitt is illiterate irl but learned to read braille with his mouth and now supplements his income by giving palm readings on women's cooters

"From what I'm reading, you have herpes"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Ape of Naples posted:

"From what I'm reading, you have herpesgenital warts"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Brad, keep reading that 'a'!"

Apauling
Aug 25, 2003
Attack the Block: I don't remember the character's name but one of the kids costumed to pay homage to Boba Fett. He wears a helmet for most of the movie and keeps fireworks in his backpack sticking out like Fett's jetpack. I didn't catch it until a friend pointed it out. He also dies like Jango (decapitation), but I think that's coincidental.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Re-watching Predator, and goddamn this movie is so much better than it ever should have been. We all know Aliens is a Viet Nam flick, but Predator is the Apocalypse Now of sci-fi Nam flicks. The first act introduces a squad of Rambo-style mercenaries, each chewing enough scenery, cracking enough one-liners and mowing down enough Russians to justify their own Viet Nam revisionist 80's action movie.

Second act kicks off. The overconfident, highly equipped American badasses are fresh from their victory against the bad guys' army -- that we never did find out exactly why they're the bad guys, except for some vague mention that they're communists, an American helicopter was shot down and the CIA wanted them gone. Even the hoorah patriotic soldiers begin questioning why they were sent. They are then picked off one by one by an unseen, faceless foe they can't understand and is literally only described as "The Jungle." Even with all the guns and biceps in the world, the Viet Cong Predator manages to defeat them every time because they're unable to comprehend its nature or tactics. So their only option is to grab the only local who seems kind of friendly, or at least vaguely useful, and run for evac.

Third act, a lone Schwarzenegger goes full Col Kurtz, regresses to a base tribal warrior and uses the Predator's own tactics against it. Contrast the famous scene of the squad mowing down the jungle against the Predator wildly firing into the trees after Schwarzenegger covers himself in mud and ambushes it with spears. Finally, he finally comes face to face with the enemy he finally sees and asks "What the hell are you?" The Predator doesn't give him any answers whatsoever, but simply repeats the question back because at this point, Schwarzenegger has become that character and is now hunting the alien.

God I loving love Predator.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Feb 3, 2016

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're not alone, I could talk about John McTiernan movies for longer than those star wars reviews with all the rape jokes.

Same goes for Paul Verhoeven.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

WickedHate posted:

I wonder if adjusting his birthdate by ten years was deliberate. Don't mention his age!

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

RandomFerret posted:

Which reminds me of the best line in Robocop

Bob Morton posted:

We’ve restructured the police force to place prime candidates according to risk factor.

At first time watching it propably goes past you, because it's just a single line. On second viewing though...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RandomFerret posted:

I love everything Verhoeven's done.

People seem to always harp on about how Starship Troopers is a crappy adaptation of the book, but it's really a masterful deconstruction of it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Starship Troopers is also an incredible parody of the War on Terror that somehow came out four years before 9/11. It lines up almost perfectly with the jingoism in the US.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm from New York City and I say kill 'em all!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wild T posted:

Starship Troopers is also an incredible parody of the War on Terror that somehow came out four years before 9/11. It lines up almost perfectly with the jingoism in the US.
It's more frightening than that. It's the same story as many others, you can find examples all through history. That's where the inspiration came from.

Well actually, the book was sincere, the movie was a parody. In the case of the movie though, what I said applies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wild T posted:

God I loving love Predator.

:hfive: Just came here to say this post made me drag the movie out again tonight, and it's every bit as awesome as I remember.

"There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like Predator