Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rhopunzel posted:

Only Tiy did, he lived right in the middle of London. The rest of the team at the time mostly lived in the US. Armagon lived in Australia and Bart's from the Netherlands. Bart had a family so he wasn't going to uproot them, and although I'm British and could move there freely, I'd just spent 2 years immigrating to the US so I wasn't in any hurry to leave. In any case I can't stand Britain and I hate London even more so I wouldn't have gone either way.

I don't loving understand why they couldn't let him stay and just call him via skype or some poo poo, you don't need more than one person in the room to code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Played the game for the first time since release, the combat is still poo poo, but the quest maps are kinda fun and upgrading your matter manipulator and ship is neat and having a ton of props and cosmetic armor is cool. Well worth the 15$ bucks I paid way back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arzachel posted:

Played the game for the first time since release, the combat is still poo poo, but the quest maps are kinda fun and upgrading your matter manipulator and ship is neat and having a ton of props and cosmetic armor is cool. Well worth the 15$ bucks I paid way back.

Wait, there are quest maps? This is interesting (or is it? Thread, please tell me. :ohdear:)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, there are quest maps? This is interesting (or is it? Thread, please tell me. :ohdear:)

The bosses were moved to premade levels that you can't change.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Oh... this isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it was. The words 'Quest Maps' made me think of something like buried treasure or a scavenger hunt; you get a rough map with some general co-ordinates on a certain planet, and you have to go find whatever it is there.

Goddammit, CF :negative:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Johnny Joestar posted:

yyyyyeah early starbound wasn't magically good only to be ruined over time. i don't really know where people are getting that. it started out as some shallow as hell generic thing and over time a lot of things have changed, a fair amount of it questionable at best. starbound is currently a Thing and maybe one day it might be a Better Thing.

I remember playing it for two evenings and deciding that it was kind of janky and devoid of content. Back then I thought "Hey, I'll just wait six months and come back to a ton of new things! That's what I did with Terraria." Six months later and I was amazed at how much the game felt like it hadn't progressed at all, except a bunch of quality of life stuff was gone now and somehow combat was even more annoying.

Looks like you'll be able to live out your Firefly fantasy now with a crew system! I'll admit I like the concept of this idea, but it just screams 'nice to have' to me. I'm really curious as to how they prioritize features. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they define minimally viable product for Starbound as "has a lot of things from other video games that I think is fun."

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh... this isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it was. The words 'Quest Maps' made me think of something like buried treasure or a scavenger hunt; you get a rough map with some general co-ordinates on a certain planet, and you have to go find whatever it is there.

Goddammit, CF :negative:

two of them were actually pretty fun to play about four months ago

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dis astranagant posted:

That sounds pretty okay, actually. I didn't enjoy having to make perfect arenas in Terraria.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Met posted:

That sounds pretty okay, actually. I didn't enjoy having to make perfect arenas in Terraria.

Yeah, pre-made boss arenas were actually a nice solution to a great deal of issues with fighting bosses.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Met posted:

Yeah I don't actually have a problem with that as long as the boss is balanced around fighting in that specific area. Making your own arena turned most bosses into a complete joke in Terraria if you hooked up heart statues to timers and stuck the nurse in a house next to it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LordZoric posted:

Yeah I don't actually have a problem with that as long as the boss is balanced around fighting in that specific area. Making your own arena turned most bosses into a complete joke in Terraria if you hooked up heart statues to timers and stuck the nurse in a house next to it.

That's why I liked Terraria though the building gimmick only works if you can actually use it for something useful, being able to craft places to fight in your favor was a neat and valid tactic, like I enjoyed making my houses fortified for the various events.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LordZoric posted:

Looks like you'll be able to live out your Firefly fantasy now with a crew system!
:lol: what is with that teleport travel time? That makes no goddamn sense.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

has this game been improved at all since launch and is it dead now?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

has this game been improved at all since launch and is it dead now?

You could try reading the last page of discussion.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

LordZoric posted:

Looks like you'll be able to live out your Firefly fantasy now with a crew system! I'll admit I like the concept of this idea, but it just screams 'nice to have' to me. I'm really curious as to how they prioritize features. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they define minimally viable product for Starbound as "has a lot of things from other video games that I think is fun."

quote:

When your crew is large enough you’ll receive a ship upgrade license.

They are still messing around with the progression. I mean it does say right there that if you want to skip recruiting NPCs on to your ship (who will undoubtedly do nothing) you can just buy the upgrade outright, but why did they change the upgrade system from whatever it was before (I really don't remember now, did you have to do all the quests for NPCs to get ship upgrades?) Can any of us say with a straight face this was something that was planned since the beginning in their design document (lol) and not something they came up with in the last ~2 months?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
don't worry, the crew will probably eat all the food in your chests and steal your weapons, ore, and clothing!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

IIRC the plan was for ship upgrades to come from doing quests before this new thing. I have no clue why they're adding in new early progression systems when there's so much latter game content missing. Are diamond drills really still the top tier mining tool? And are they still breakable? Breakable tools are so 2000-and-late.

Compare the amount of real content Terraria added after its weird blackmail early release in 2011 to the content Starbound's added in the same amount of time. These are the kinds of problems you run into when your team is apparently a 2:1 ratio of artists to coders.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LordZoric posted:

Some Terraria bosses weren't really balanced all that well but isn't the point of a sandbox game that you should be able to cheese a boss by building interesting workarounds to its powers if you want? Isn't teleporting you to a gated area and forcing you to fight a boss while limiting your potential options the complete opposite of what a sandbox game should be? It's not like Terraria had a quest system that required you to hook up those statues and build the nurse a house before it allowed you to fight the boss.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Some Terraria bosses weren't really balanced all that well but isn't the point of a sandbox game that you should be able to cheese a boss by building interesting workarounds to its powers if you want? Isn't teleporting you to a gated area and forcing you to fight a boss while limiting your potential options the complete opposite of what a sandbox game should be? It's not like Terraria had a quest system that required you to hook up those statues and build the nurse a house before it allowed you to fight the boss.

That's a very good point. I think I may just be a tad salty about all the grinding I had to do in hopes of the RNG favoring me and giving all of a boss's drops.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

I don't loving understand why they couldn't let him stay and just call him via skype or some poo poo, you don't need more than one person in the room to code

You're talking about a guy who threatened to replace the whole development team when a) he hadn't paid them anything for over a year after b) they threatened to walk unless they did preorders of some kind so they actually had money for, you know, food and rent and college tuition and stuff like that.

Plus, as of a couple years ago they were still doing the whole 'rev share' system for upcoming games (like the pirate game that they were coding in Haskell that you have heard nothing about).

quote:

Hang on, is that even legal? Revshare works for new teams because everyone's a founder, but you're an established company with multi-million-pound annual cash flow and you're asking people to come and work in your offices without pay? Don't the minimum wage laws apply here?

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bilal posted:

They are still messing around with the progression. I mean it does say right there that if you want to skip recruiting NPCs on to your ship (who will undoubtedly do nothing) you can just buy the upgrade outright, but why did they change the upgrade system from whatever it was before (I really don't remember now, did you have to do all the quests for NPCs to get ship upgrades?) Can any of us say with a straight face this was something that was planned since the beginning in their design document (lol) and not something they came up with in the last ~2 months?

Multiple pathways of progression through Colony/Adventure/uh..Farming? has actually been a -thing- they've talked about doing and are only now actually getting to but it was a bullet point feature since way back, yes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah as much as it seems like it's been pulled out of thin air this follows with some the ideas they've already established they've wanted to do for a while now.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
edit: might have misunderstood

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

That's why I liked Terraria though the building gimmick only works if you can actually use it for something useful, being able to craft places to fight in your favor was a neat and valid tactic, like I enjoyed making my houses fortified for the various events.

And it was cool because a lot of bosses had to be designed with the ability to build favorable environments in mind, resulting in genuinely unique boss encounters like the Worm or the Wall.

Speaking of, this reminds me of my favorite Terraria encounter; the Orc Army sieges. It was really cool to be able to take the fight to your extravagantly fortified base and defend your NPC's from bombs and wizards and etc.

Does the colony system in Starbound have anything like that?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

And it was cool because a lot of bosses had to be designed with the ability to build favorable environments in mind, resulting in genuinely unique boss encounters like the Worm or the Wall.

Speaking of, this reminds me of my favorite Terraria encounter; the Orc Army sieges. It was really cool to be able to take the fight to your extravagantly fortified base and defend your NPC's from bombs and wizards and etc.

Does the colony system in Starbound have anything like that?

The Eater of Worlds and The Wall are some pretty poor examples cause nothing about the 'arenas' you build to fight them are interesting or unique. Platform layers so the Worm can't reach you and literally a straight line to run on for the Wall.

It's the one thing that just annoys me the most about Terraria, in fact, is that *ALL* the boss fights actually take hardly any effort to plan the 'arena' for. The bosses themselves are interesting and unique, but the actual fighting of the bosses still boils down to the same 2-3 methods that all the others require.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Multiple pathways of progression through Colony/Adventure/uh..Farming? has actually been a -thing- they've talked about doing and are only now actually getting to but it was a bullet point feature since way back, yes.

But that's not what it says in the update. Maybe I'm misreading it.

It says that

quote:

Alternatively, if you’d like to avoid the colony system altogether, you can spend a bunch of pixels at the Penguin Bay for a shady fake upgrade license.

So, it's not either Recruit Colonists or Do Quests anymore. It's been changed FROM doing quests TO recruiting colonists. Again, unless I'm misreading and you have the option of doing one or the other to progress.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Magmarashi posted:

The Eater of Worlds and The Wall are some pretty poor examples cause nothing about the 'arenas' you build to fight them are interesting or unique. Platform layers so the Worm can't reach you and literally a straight line to run on for the Wall.

It's the one thing that just annoys me the most about Terraria, in fact, is that *ALL* the boss fights actually take hardly any effort to plan the 'arena' for. The bosses themselves are interesting and unique, but the actual fighting of the bosses still boils down to the same 2-3 methods that all the others require.

terraria went in the questionable way of simply bumping up the difficulty so much non skilled players like me have to use the very limited scrub tactics to win, which just isnt fun. What's fun is 16 manning a boss with zero tactics, though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bilal posted:

But that's not what it says in the update. Maybe I'm misreading it.

It says that

So, it's not either Recruit Colonists or Do Quests anymore. It's been changed FROM doing quests TO recruiting colonists. Again, unless I'm misreading and you have the option of doing one or the other to progress.

Someone is going to have to play it and find out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Party Plane Jones posted:

These are the same people who adopted an office puppy and then rehomed the mutt when nobody would take care of it/walk it and it was pissing everywhere.

wowzers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hows the game guys

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eonwe posted:

hows the game guys

Magmarashi posted:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Eonwe posted:

hows the game guys

more game change, more game stay same

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Davoren posted:

more game change, more game stay same

"Game's the same... just got more fierce."

There's another, actually accurate quote from The Wire that perfectly encapsulates good ol' Starbs:

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiit"

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I still don't get why anyone would want to move their business -into- london (when said business doesn't involve selling things to londoners at obscene prices).

Millennials, dude. You think these guys are going to hang out/party with the uggo fat losers in suburbia? There aren't even any microbreweries there.

Though I remember they did it at around a million copies sold so it was probably 15 million bucks for about six people working on the game. Even being sensible with it, I imagine that amount of money is the same principle as a poor person winning the mega millions lotto.

LordZoric posted:

Compare the amount of real content Terraria added after its weird blackmail early release in 2011 to the content Starbound's added in the same amount of time. These are the kinds of problems you run into when your team is apparently a 2:1 ratio of artists to coders.

Nah, artists understand feature creep. Nobody who has concrete goals and a finished vision spends three years going over and over the same stuff. Whoever said the lead dev guy has ADD is probably right.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Eonwe posted:

hows the game guys

Magmarashi posted:

Played the game, Starbad still lives up to its name.

also, ShittyMeme'd Again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Devoyniche posted:

Nah, artists understand feature creep. Nobody who has concrete goals and a finished vision spends three years going over and over the same stuff. Whoever said the lead dev guy has ADD is probably right.

A great post-mortem line for Starbound if I ever saw one.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Devoyniche posted:

True. That's why most projects really need that mostly impartial project manager to look at things long-term and help keep scope from going crazy. I remember them saying in a post about Wayward Tide that they don't do estimations and just work on a "when it's done" philosophy because that's how Blizzard does it. That struck me as nuts because 1) I'm sure Blizzard estimates features internally and 2) you're not Blizzard, Chuckles.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Blizzard has real game designers and project managers and a loving huge staff and resource pool so yeah

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Noted struggling indie startup, Blizzard Entertainment.

Overwatch looks like it's going to own, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
*TF2 theme intensifies*

I mean, other than that it looks rad as hell

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 4, 2016

• Locked thread