Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lawl @ running the Ridgeline in the Truck series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

lawl @ running the Ridgeline in the Truck series

I feel like the Nissan would be more likely as the next entrant if we're going by that criteria. Nissan is a bigger company, has a greater budget, and seems to have a more popular truck. I still feel like Dodge will make a come back in the near future, so I'd slot Dodge ahead of Nissan and Honda in that regard.

In regards to Honda? It's felt like that's been a rumor for a long rear end time, but they've never followed through with it. I think Bill France said some sort of comment about them being involved back in the early 2000's ("They build Honda's in Ohio, don't they?"). I also want to say someone, for some reason built a Honda Truck a while back to run ARCA trucks. I know I've seen pictures of that on the web somewhere.

I guess this guy's logic is the fact that Rick Hendrick owns a couple of Honda dealerships? Seems idiotic. Bobby Rahal, Roger Penske and Jimmy Vasser all own dealerships. Doesn't seem like I hear rumblings about say, Volvo, Jaguar, etc joining the IndyCars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC Nissan at one point was larger than Honda but I don't think that has been the case for quite some time (like 20+ years) and especially not in North America since the 80s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The new Honda kit looks better, when it lost the front endplate boxes the wing just looked weird.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I have hot inside news that Toyota may enter IndyCar in 2017 under scion brand.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Please don't be lying to me...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

This is news I can get behind. Hope there's something to it.

edit: I think I've been had

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

toyota is killing off scion lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GM did run the Oldsmobile name in Indycar after they announced they were killing the brand, which was pretty funny

I think that was only for like a year before they changed the Chevy name, but since the teams owned the engines in the IRL and it was the last year of the engine cycle, the blocks still had OLDSMOBILE on the side for an extra full year. Delightful.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RIP to your weird bad idea Toyota. At least the FRS is actually being badged as a Toyota now.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

GM did run the Oldsmobile name in Indycar after they announced they were killing the brand, which was pretty funny

I think that was only for like a year before they changed the Chevy name, but since the teams owned the engines in the IRL and it was the last year of the engine cycle, the blocks still had OLDSMOBILE on the side for an extra full year. Delightful.

Didn't they use Pontiac in grand am and and nhra a little while it was dead? I remember it took nhra a few years to go to the camaro body while grand am was slightly quicker getting a gt camaro while the engine was putting a different sticker on the prototypes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BMB5150 posted:

Didn't they use Pontiac in grand am and and nhra a little while it was dead? I remember it took nhra a few years to go to the camaro body while grand am was slightly quicker getting a gt camaro while the engine was putting a different sticker on the prototypes.

Yeah I remember Pro Stock ran the GXP or whatever it was for a long time after Pontiac died.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Do we need to re-register for Fantasy? I went to do that just now and it took me to last year's group.

Also, Dixon's car is purty.

BMB5150 posted:

I know WTR and Gainsco ran Pontiacs in DP, but can't remember if it kept going after the name was retired. WTR went to Ford before returning to GM with Chevy, while Gainsco either went straight to Chevy or held onto Pontiac one more year before switching.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They switched off Pontiac at the end of 2009, which is when they killed Pontiac as a brand.

Looking at it though, there were a couple of Pontiac GT class cars still running in 2010.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 5, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do we need to re-register for Fantasy? I went to do that just now and it took me to last year's group.

Not sure for 2016 but when I find out I'll update the OP. Also the 2nd post is updated with driver/team info

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-s-new-race-control-format-to-be-finalized-in-three-weeks-671757/

Race Control should be ready by the Phoenix test at the end of the month, and the article goes on to speculate on who might run Race Control along side Brian Barnhart.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-s-new-race-control-format-to-be-finalized-in-three-weeks-671757/

Race Control should be ready by the Phoenix test at the end of the month, and the article goes on to speculate on who might run Race Control along side Brian Barnhart.

Mad Max should get the gig. Honestly the series needs to reach out to him and get him involved. A smart guy, who's actually been involved doing some cool stuff on the NASCAR side.

Arie should be promoted and paid more to have a role as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bentai posted:

My vote goes to 'Magic 8 Ball'

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

go3 posted:

My vote goes to 'Magic 8 Ball'

Forwarded to IndyCar corporate

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So did anyone else not get the Indy 500 commercial during the Super Bowl? Nothing here in Philadelphia.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

So did anyone else not get the Indy 500 commercial during the Super Bowl? Nothing here in Philadelphia.

It was only on in the midwest apparently.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Probably couldn't afford a national spot

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Or they realized someone in Hawaii is unlikely to buy tickets for the 500.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It aired in Columbus, OH.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I did see an Arrow ad with Sam Schmidt.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

All we got was Puppy Monkey Karam.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I got nothing (4 hours north of Indy) and made it a point to let the Director of PR for IndyCar know that I wasn't happy about it.

Although there was this making the rounds last night

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Fifty is a respectable age for an event, but an argument could be made that 100 is over the hill...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Or you have to be looking over your shoulder for thoroughbred racing fans when being smug to the NFL.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

It was only on in the midwest apparently.

I didn't see it so I thought maybe I missed it getting a beer or something but it turns out the new definition of midwest is Indiana and a bit of Ohio.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/125958-indycar-100th-indy-500-gets-boosted-by-super-bowl-ad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Uncle Jam posted:

Or you have to be looking over your shoulder for thoroughbred racing fans when being smug to the NFL.

Please don't invoke the horse people.

this year is the loving 142nd kentucky derby you goddamn whippersnappers (its me im the horse people)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm the horse people too, my Italian grandfather used to bring me to OTB if my grandparents were babysitting me

Italian and Jamaican men at age 6, fun times

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a28129/anti-hillary-clinton-indy-sponsor/

this is the funniest

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I was on the fence before, but this race car has really sold me!

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

At least people will actually hear about the Indy 500 this way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdyzCsHREY

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The comments about being almost constantly foot flat make me wonder if the series might want to reduce downforce for the event.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

The comments about being almost constantly foot flat make me wonder if the series might want to reduce downforce for the event.

I've been told that some lifting is required in Turns 1 & 3, but still 20 second laps are insane and it wouldn't hurt to take away a little downforce.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Flip side is if iRacing got it right at all, even with downforce tire wear will still result in some speed gaps. Iowa runs a ton of downforce but fresh tires versus worn tires still separate the field by quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Flip side is if iRacing got it right at all, even with downforce tire wear will still result in some speed gaps. Iowa runs a ton of downforce but fresh tires versus worn tires still separate the field by quite a bit.

I'd like to see it play out like this. There are other ways to slow cars down than to mess with the aero. If all that downforce will grind away the tires quickly, that'll do the job. Would make for more srategy and more passing around pit stops, too.

• Locked thread