Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jedit posted:

Calling addons stretch goals, charging shipping on them (since stopped, but too late to not have to refund everyone after the project), excessive shipping costs in general.

Reading through the comments and campaign they really should have cancelled and started over. It looks like they could have shipped at cost and sold many more copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone take a look at Pocket Neon City Rumble? Kind of a light filler 2-player fighting duel game with Gamegear/Neo Geo Pocket type artwork.

I love the aesthetic of the cards and anything with silly plastic gems gets my attention. I dunno if it's has the best gameplay, but it definitely has a slick look.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone take a look at Pocket Neon City Rumble? Kind of a light filler 2-player fighting duel game with Gamegear/Neo Geo Pocket type artwork.

I love the aesthetic of the cards and anything with silly plastic gems gets my attention. I dunno if it's has the best gameplay, but it definitely has a slick look.

I read the rules some time ago and got a bit wary when I saw that if one of your characters KOs you lose an action every round. But maybe I misread it. Either way even if it's good people in my area still have a problem with fighting game simulators for whatever reasons so there'd be no point for me to back it. :shrug:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So, there's a Kickstarter up for Mythos Tales which is apparently pretty much a Lovecraft themed take on Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which was formerly known as Arkham Investigator. I guess there's been print and play versions of the first couple of cases around for years and they've garnered good buzz. And Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is a loving masterpiece, translation and copyediting problems aside, so more of that with a theme that's yet to be given a proper investigative spin? Pretty drat hot. On the other hand, the Kickstarter's being handled by 8th Summit, who have not really been a watchword in quality. (They're the Agents of SMERSH people, if you're not familiar with the name.) So I am torn.

Basically, a) I don't trust 8th Summit with a game that's text heavy because the text in SMERSH is not great, and b) their copyediting and production values on SMERSH were also not great. I think they're just publishing Mythos Tales so they quite possibly aren't involved with the writing, but they almost certainly will be with the copyediting and production, for obvious reasons. Then again, the version of SMERSH I played was the first release so maybe they got their act together in the meantime?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

So, there's a Kickstarter up for Mythos Tales which is apparently pretty much a Lovecraft themed take on Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which was formerly known as Arkham Investigator

Thanks for posting this - I'm in. I read a couple chunks of the print and play, and the writing quality seems "fine", probably a little better than Consulting Detective, honestly. Also, I see some signs that they may have refined the rules formula a bit, which I think is welcome. Cautiously optimistic - we need more games like this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think these look mostly terrible and/or impractical, but maybe you folks will like them?

Polyhedral science dice

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't know why he claims the patents on a standard d20 are insane/limting. Patents have a 20 year life, like copyright used to and should have. The purpose of a patent is to protect a creator from imitators in-exchange for explaining his invention so others can study it.

The patents on standard d20s expired around the 1940s.

Edit: I'm sure the same applies to other polyhedral dice.

Covok fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 3, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I loving love science me, check out these baffling spinning tops, proper sciencey.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

malkav11 posted:

So, there's a Kickstarter up for Mythos Tales which is apparently pretty much a Lovecraft themed take on Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which was formerly known as Arkham Investigator. I guess there's been print and play versions of the first couple of cases around for years and they've garnered good buzz. And Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is a loving masterpiece, translation and copyediting problems aside, so more of that with a theme that's yet to be given a proper investigative spin? Pretty drat hot. On the other hand, the Kickstarter's being handled by 8th Summit, who have not really been a watchword in quality. (They're the Agents of SMERSH people, if you're not familiar with the name.) So I am torn.

Basically, a) I don't trust 8th Summit with a game that's text heavy because the text in SMERSH is not great, and b) their copyediting and production values on SMERSH were also not great. I think they're just publishing Mythos Tales so they quite possibly aren't involved with the writing, but they almost certainly will be with the copyediting and production, for obvious reasons. Then again, the version of SMERSH I played was the first release so maybe they got their act together in the meantime?

I'd be more Concerned that their only noteworthy game is a worse Tales Of The Arabian Nights with a poor man's Pandemic bolted on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

dwarf74 posted:

I think these look mostly terrible and/or impractical, but maybe you folks will like them?

Polyhedral science dice

I have no idea how you'd even roll most of these. "Roll", maybe.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
According to my facebook feed, a TMNT board game is gonna pop up this morning. Anyone know anything about it? This is the first I've heard of it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

According to my facebook feed, a TMNT board game is gonna pop up this morning. Anyone know anything about it? This is the first I've heard of it.

It's up now

It's a minis game, so eh.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's up now

Oh. :jerkbag:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

spectralent posted:

I have no idea how you'd even roll most of these. "Roll", maybe.
Spin, more like. "Sorry, everyone, gotta wait 30 seconds for this to spin down."

Covok posted:

I don't know why he claims the patents on a standard d20 are insane/limting. Patents have a 20 year life, like copyright used to and should have. The purpose of a patent is to protect a creator from imitators in-exchange for explaining his invention so others can study it.

The patents on standard d20s expired around the 1940s.
If true, it has stopped literally zero other dice manufacturers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

If true, it has stopped literally zero other dice manufacturers.

Oh, the standard d20 is patented. You can look it up, but that's expired a long time ago. You don't have to worry about it as a manufacturer. That and the individual who held that patent probably isn't around to defend it, even if it was still in effect.

dwarf74 posted:

Spin, more like. "Sorry, everyone, gotta wait 30 seconds for this to spin down."

To me, this is more confusing than anything else. I mean, dice aren't perfect, but their shape isn't the issue. Most of the current shapes are actually special geometric shapes that are pretty good for what they are and ancient cultures have taken advantage of this to have their own dice. Some, like the d10, are new, but are excellent shapes for the intent.

I don't get why people want guady, less effective named after scientists who never gave their endorsement.

jivjov posted:

Can anyone make enough sense of the florid language to tell if the newest printing of the core Burning Wheel Gold book is worth pleading for if I've already got an older printing?

Basically, he's gone on record saying reprints of the Burning Wheel Gold book will never be anything more than typos and errata. That said, the kickstarter got enough money for him to use linen as the cover for both books, if bought from the kickstarter.

As an idiot about books, I don't know if that is a big incentive or not.

Or atleast I think he's doing that. His language makes it hard to go back and make sure. By the way, if you check, the majority of kickstarter comments are calling him out on his language.

Found proof.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 3, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New Burning Wheel Codex update for people outside North America: the shipping is going to be less ridiculous, and rather than get people to change their pledges, you'll get the option to take the difference as a refund or credit towards something else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That same update subtly plugs the idea of reprinting Burning Sands, the Dune setting for Burning Wheel.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's up now

Looks sort of Descent-esque. With a Villian player and multiple hero players. I'm too biased by it being TMNT, but I'm definitely waiting to see some gameplay before I plonk down 100+ bucks. I don't actually have a game like that in my collection, so this is interesting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nathan Paoletta just said that a KS for World Wide Wrestling: International Incident will be coming soon! :dance:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Basically, he's gone on record saying reprints of the Burning Wheel Gold book will never be anything more than typos and errata. That said, the kickstarter got enough money for him to use linen as the cover for both books, if bought from the kickstarter.

As an idiot about books, I don't know if that is a big incentive or not.

Or atleast I think he's doing that. His language makes it hard to go back and make sure. By the way, if you check, the majority of kickstarter comments are calling him out on his language.

Found proof.

That honestly makes me more likely to just pledge for a second copy of Gold..I want Gold and the Codex to match!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Covok posted:

I don't get why people want guady, less effective named after scientists who never gave their endorsement.

The hypercube d6s are neat, but still cubes. Its a tiny d6 trapper in a cage! But that butt plug d6 is by far the most lolworthy part of the lot.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's up now

The pizza box concept is great, as are the throwback minis, but those new turtles look terrible, and $150 is way too much for just getting an exclusive box and the four minis. That's like $15 extra per miniature...

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

That honestly makes me more likely to just pledge for a second copy of Gold..I want Gold and the Codex to match!

Yeah, I fell into that train of thought a few hours ago myself. Will probably put my old copy of BW up for sale when this one comes in. Considering the price of BW is going up to $35, I can probably still fetch $25 for my mint copy of the game which is what I originally paid for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Yeah, I fell into that train of thought a few hours ago myself. Will probably put my old copy of BW up for sale when this one comes in. Considering the price of BW is going up to $35, I can probably still fetch $25 for my mint copy of the game which is what I originally paid for it.

I've been trying to sell my old copies of the Magic, Monster, and Adventure Burners on eBay. I've seen individual Adventure Burners go for $150+, Monster and Magic for $60-$100 each...but I can't get $200 for a set!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Codex talk: The free print and play is hosted in his web store and requires you put in billing information in order to get your hands on it.

Why?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Anniversary posted:

Codex talk: The free print and play is hosted in his web store and requires you put in billing information in order to get your hands on it.

Why?

Least scummy reason: poorly coded webstore?

More scummy reasons: eh, you can guess from here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

The pizza box concept is great, as are the throwback minis, but those new turtles look terrible, and $150 is way too much for just getting an exclusive box and the four minis. That's like $15 extra per miniature...

Agreed. If you could get the throwback minis alone I'd cough up a few bucks, but I have no faith that the game wouldn't be poo poo and "special" minis are NOT worth $150.

E: *not

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Oh, look at that Eastman art, are they daring enough to base it off of the original comics? :downs:

... oh, the IDW comics. That's cool too, I guess. :geno:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm expecting nothing better than the Ghostbusters game. It'll be 50 bucks on minimarket within 3 months of release and that's being nice.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Agreed. If you could get the throwback minis alone I'd cough up a few bucks, but I have no faith that the game wouldn't be poo poo and "special" minis are worth $150.

I'd be in, too, if you could get: "throwback" turtles, Bebop, Rocksteady, Splinter, Shredder, Krang, and a handful of Foot soldiers... and if altogether it cost $60 or so.

Maybe there's more people who want Alopex and Karai than want Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang (my only experience with TMNT is watching the cartoon, and playing video games as a kid), but it seems like there should at least be stretch goals or add-ons or something for that stuff. I mean, if you're going to cash in on nostalgia, it feels like you need to cast a bit broader net.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 3, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The IDW comics are actually pretty good. I'm a few months behind, but I definitely enjoyed them when I was keeping up with it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Who did this

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Having Alopex is probably the high point of using the IDW continuity. I'm not really too bugged by it, just felt like a bait-and-switch as I scrolled down the page.

Karai is a mainstay of the franchise, though, and definitely deserves a place at the licensing table.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

signalnoise posted:

I'm expecting nothing better than the Ghostbusters game. It'll be 50 bucks on minimarket within 3 months of release and that's being nice.

That's standard pricing for web retailers though, and isn't indicative of game's sales or other factors. MM, CSI, etc. are all around 30-35% off SRP as a norm. They'll also not have any of the KS content, so the cost difference once it hits MM doesn't account for that either... regardless of what you/people think about whatever add-ons/exclusives (which Eastman can't stop talking about in their video, geez) IDW ends up putting into their campaign.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Having Alopex is probably the high point of using the IDW continuity. I'm not really too bugged by it, just felt like a bait-and-switch as I scrolled down the page.

Karai is a mainstay of the franchise, though, and definitely deserves a place at the licensing table.

Old Hob is surprisingly cool for how boring you think he would be (Mutant cat who has a grudge against splinter, who is a rat). Looks like the works is banking on having more miniatures added to it to make it better value compared to the regular pledge.

Despite being a huge TMNT fan i'm probably gonna skip this one. The TMNT heroclix set is supposedly being released next month and of the two i'll probably get more entertainment out of that.

If they end up adding Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady though...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Eastman is always super-excited about anything involving Turtles now that Laird is out of the picture, the Bay movie included.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is it though? Eastman's art has been pretty central to the IDW comics.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it though? Eastman's art has been pretty central to the IDW comics.

Well, the first cover art you see is from the TMNT Ultimate Collection, which are hardback collections of the original Eastman & Laird issues. The art of the side is from the original comics, I believe. The second box you see has art once again from a collection of the original comics (The Works, a color collection of the same E&L issues). Same side art there. Sure, it's an IDW product, but they publish the old comics, too. About the only hint is the subtitle - Shadows of the Past, which IIRC is the title of the first IDW story. It wasn't until I looked at the April mini that I realized what was going on. And yes, Eastman has concepted characters like Hob or Apolex but he hasn't done much actual comic art (mainly just a special side issue, IIRC).

So yes, it could be a little confusing.

Also, speaking of April, here's my first genuine gripe - why the gently caress is April a KS exclusive and not in-box? She's not exactly a minor character! Maybe they'll do another version of her down the road, sure, but she deserves to be in there for everyone.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think she's a support in the game along with Casey, the hero version is a different thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I jumped in for the discounted Ultimate tier, with plans to see how it pans out as the KS goes on. At best, it'll fill out and my group of TMNT-fans will have a new game to rotate in, at worst I'll pull the pledge.

• Locked thread