Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Staff shakeups sure are something. I can only assume that someone on the team that took over really wanted to tell that sort of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Staff shakeups sure are something. I can only assume that someone on the team that took over really wanted to tell that sort of story.

Yeah, I know about the staff shakeup and its impact on 0083's production. I just can't understand why whoever Love Story Guy was on the new staff wouldn't realize how ridiculous that appears in the context of what had already aired.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dangerous Person posted:

Well, I finished Zeta.

Jesus Christ. Rest in peace everybody.

Except Jamitov his underlings and Scirocco.

Those guys were just dicks cut from a cloth entirely made of dicks produced by a dick clothing making machine.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Reds posted:

There's a reason why ZZ is whiplash if you go straight into it and aren't expecting wacky antics.

Yeah, it doesn't help that it appears to be direct sequel with almost no time in between.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck iirc in preproduction it was referred to as Zeta Gundam Part 2

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Johnny Ridden's Bogus Journey is canon because Yazan gets a dapper suit and is super cool in it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xinder posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help that it appears to be direct sequel with almost no time in between.

It is what it appears to be.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Didn't ZZ start airing literally the week after Zeta ended?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Didn't ZZ start airing literally the week after Zeta ended?

Correct.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's what makes it amazing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey you over there, HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam Build Fighters Season 3 Main character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's impressive from a model kit building perspective but holy poo poo that is too much backpack.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

Keep the gunpla in the gunpla thread, please

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

ImpAtom posted:

That's impressive from a model kit building perspective but holy poo poo that is too much backpack.

Many well-made kits tend to be overdesigned clusterfucks.

You look at the winning brackets for lots of gunpla modelling competitions and depending on the region chances are they're greebly over-detailed messes covered with guns and pointy things and generally overloaded with extraneous items that are nonetheless impressive on a technical level.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Didn't a japanese builder win by putting together a kit in an extremely polished and refined way. Most of the overloaded greebly monstrosities seem to come from the phillipines bracket.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You know, what I am bored as hell and feel like sperging about Gundam.

So welcome to part one of SeanBeanShako's Gundam Uniform review! in which I just obsess or make over the neat details of some of my favourite or just disliked uniforms of Gundam characters through the years. Words ahead!

And we're going to start off with a rose petal scented bang ladies and gentlegoons with Treize Khushrenada of OZ.

zechs bro where is your loving sweet uniform your ruining it stop calling yourself peacecraft bro your weirding me out

It is pretty loving obvious now I am a huge turbo nerd for Napoleonic Wars history and media, so I'm going to get down to brass tacks and state that somebody should give Treize's tailor either a years supply of Brights Burgers or a shitload of Zeon gold because compared with this chunky guy Treize looks fantastic and pulls this look off more. Though technically, even the dusty old ladies and gentlemen of the Romfeller foundation pull this off. Hell, Relena looks so frigging bad rear end in this stuff it is such a shame she abandoned it when she was done kissing butt because I'd follow that peace crazy lady in a Leo anyday with that outfit.

So lets get down to why I like this look. First off, Prussian blue (or just blue depending on the quality of the copy I can never tell) is a well beloved colour for all old timey military uniforms as well pretty much everyone but the British and Imperial Russia wore it until the end of the 19th century. Then there is the epaulettes on the shoulders. It takes a pretty bulky or tall dude to actually pull these off properly and be intimidating (ask Alexander III of Russian when he's not dead/bending iron bars) but Treize pulls it off like global coup. Hell, look at that tiny cravat. It's the right drat size because those things like like napkins if they are too big. I am kind of saddened he always wears this closed because I imagine he pulls of quite a bad rear end double breasted surcoat underneath. I imagine it either has a TK on each side of the breast or just loads of tiny purple fleur de lis.

japan why do you associate 16th century swords with the 19th century thats like us thinking you used katana all the loving time

Now, I can't really tell if those are knee high breeches or full trousers because of those huge rear end bucket style riding boots the man has going on. Treize clearly thinks the regular calf sized riding boots are for babies and is confident enough to wear these things all the time. Especially in the Tallgeese. If I am now making you imagine the Tallgeese chair somehow having stirrups you make thank or cuss me out to your hearts content. And finally, that Victorian half cape he rocks out wearing this stuff outside just looks awesome. It's a shame this uniform was instantly incinerated with the man himself in his Gundam towards the end of Wing. It should be in a musuem or something. Personally, I think OZ grew in power simply because they had Treize and Zechs rocking this kind of look. Shame most OZ uniforms had to look forward to things a little more low key that resembles a bellhop uniform than a crazy space imperialist titan. I mean, OZ could have spent more on making less explodey mobile suits but priorities man.

It is just a shame really he didn't rock out some over the top head gear with it, something like this would have been awesome but I imagine Zechs is the kind of guy that would get weird helmet envy so Treize had make some sacrifices.

Four Garma heads out of five.

Next time, I rage at Glemy Toto's stupid loving uniform. Seriously. I hate that thing so much. It looks like dogshit man.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 28, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know, what I am bored as hell and feel like sperging about Gundam.

So welcome to part one of SeanBeanShako's Gundam Uniform review! in which I just obsess or make over the neat details of some of my favourite or just disliked uniforms of Gundam characters through the years. Words ahead!

And we're going to start off with a rose petal scented bang ladies and gentlegoons with Treize Khushrenada of OZ.

zechs bro where is your loving sweet uniform your ruining it stop calling yourself peacecraft bro your weirding me out

It is pretty loving obvious now I am a huge turbo nerd for Napoleonic Wars history and media, so I'm going to get down to brass tacks and state that somebody should give Treize's tailor either a years supply of Brights Burgers or a shitload of Zeon gold because compared with this chunky guy Treize looks fantastic and pulls this look off more. Though technically, even the dusty old ladies and gentlemen of the Romfeller foundation pull this off. Hell, Relena looks so frigging bad rear end in this stuff it is such a shame she abandoned it when she was done kissing butt because I'd follow that peace crazy lady in a Leo anyday with that outfit.

So lets get down to why I like this look. First off, Prussian blue (or just blue depending on the quality of the copy I can never tell) is a well beloved colour for all old timey military uniforms as well pretty much everyone but the British and Imperial Russia wore it until the end of the 19th century. Then there is the epaulettes on the shoulders. It takes a pretty bulky or tall dude to actually pull these off properly and be intimidating (ask Alexander III of Russian when he's not dead/bending iron bars) but Treize pulls it off like global coup. Hell, look at that tiny cravat. It's the right drat size because those things like like napkins if they are too big. I am kind of saddened he always wears this closed because I imagine he pulls of quite a bad rear end double breasted surcoat underneath. I imagine it either has a TK on each side of the breast or just loads of tiny purple fleur de lis.

japan why do you associate 16th century swords with the 19th century thats like us thinking you used katana all the loving time

Now, I can't really tell if those are knee high breeches or full trousers because of those huge rear end bucket style riding boots the man has going on. Treize clearly thinks the regular calf sized riding boots are for babies and is confident enough to wear these things all the time. Especially in the Tallgeese. If I am now making you imagine the Tallgeese chair somehow having stirrups you make thank or cuss me out to your hearts content. And finally, that Victorian half cape he rocks out wearing this stuff outside just looks awesome. It's a shame this uniform was instantly incinerated with the man himself in his Gundam towards the end of Wing. It should be in a musuem or something. Personally, I think OZ grew in power simply because they had Treize and Zechs rocking this kind of look. Shame most OZ uniforms had to look forward to things a little more low key that resembles a bellhop uniform than a crazy space imperialist titan. I mean, OZ could have spent more on making less explodey mobile suits but priorities man.

It is just a shame really he didn't rock out some over the top head gear with it, something like this would have been awesome but I imagine Zechs is the kind of guy that would get weird helmet envy so Treize had make some sacrifices.

Four Garma heads out of five.

Next time, I rage at Glemy Toto's stupid loving uniform. Seriously. I hate that thing so much. It looks like dogshit man.

A good post, which I endorse more of. Can't wait until you get to AGE. :unsmigghh:

Normal suit reviews would be neat, too, if you feel you have something worthwhile to say about them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god AGE I don't know. I know one of the captains somehow has the ability to wear trenchcoats over a whole formal navy uniform.

I'll be covering the stuff grunts would wear as well as maybe dedicate my post to a favourite spacesuits too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep posting SeanBeansShako.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean, his robot kinda does.

Also a really good post SeanBeansShako

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm watching ZZ for the first time and I'm on episode 6, Does Judau stop trying to steal the zeta soon? Its getting kinda annoying. Also I don't really like any of the junkyard kids with Beecha being the worst of them. Do they get better?

And for some reason Char is in the OP but there is no sign of him anywhere so far, whats up with that?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

I'm watching ZZ for the first time and I'm on episode 6, Does Judau stop trying to steal the zeta soon? Its getting kinda annoying. Also I don't really like any of the junkyard kids with Beecha being the worst of them. Do they get better?

And for some reason Char is in the OP but there is no sign of him anywhere so far, whats up with that?

Judau stops soon-ish i think. Some of the junkyard kids get better but Beecha remains the worst. Char was meant to appear in ZZ but plans were changed after CCA was greenlit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau trying to sell the Zeta for scrap makes all the sense in the world.

Since it's, you know, a dumb Gundam for babies.:smug:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Droyer posted:

I mean, his robot kinda does.

Also a really good post SeanBeansShako

It really is a shame, but I imagine he did it for his friendship with Zechs.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I'll give poor Glemy grief at some point, and then maybe mellow out and talk about the Zeon stuff or THE MAN FROM JUPITOR.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Treize oufit is loving boss and once I finish sewing my domon cosplay, Treize is next on my list.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Treize is by far the best part of Wing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love many things about Wing but Treize and his magnificent dress sense rank in the Top 5 or 10. I think I like Dorothy more. Maybe it's her and her cousin's eyebrows.

But fantastic post SeanBeansShako. I look forward to more.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I wanna get Tim Gunn to review all the civilian outfits in Zeta and ZZ

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I wanna get Tim Gunn to review all the civilian outfits in Zeta and ZZ

i'd listen to him review any anime clothing tbh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chickenfrogman posted:

Treize is by far the best part of Wing.

I dunno, Relena is pretty goddamn amazing. It's pretty hardcore when your show's peace princess character manages to be the biggest badass in the show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

I dunno, Relena is pretty goddamn amazing. It's pretty hardcore when your show's peace princess character manages to be the biggest badass in the show.

Peace is awesome. I'll never forget how Relena stared down multiple Gundams without even flinching.

Plus while Heero and the others were off in space accomplishing not much of anything, she managed to re-establish a country and create the biggest opposition to the villains on the face of the planet. An opposition so good they just said "well...let's try and see if she can win people over to our side." Then she just won people over to her side again right under Romefeller's noses.

Relena is the real hero of Gundam Wing.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Just finished episode 4 of ZZ. I'm pretty alright with the lighter tone so far. The ending to Zeta was such a massive downer that I appreciate how goofy it feels.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even though I complain about Beecha as a character, ZZ is the show where Tomino's...uh, full power Tominosity really works for me for some reason. Dunno why it bothers me in G-Reco and Brain Powerd but not in ZZ.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

NikkolasKing posted:

Peace is awesome. I'll never forget how Relena stared down multiple Gundams without even flinching.

Plus while Heero and the others were off in space accomplishing not much of anything, she managed to re-establish a country and create the biggest opposition to the villains on the face of the planet. An opposition so good they just said "well...let's try and see if she can win people over to our side." Then she just won people over to her side again right under Romefeller's noses.

Relena is the real hero of Gundam Wing.

Nah. She had Sanc handed over to her and then up and abandoned it and anyone living in it to their fates as soon as Romefeller clamped down so she could follow her boneheaded ideology; that's the opposite of being a hero, or even cognizant of her people's safety.

The only thing Relena had going for her was ironclad plot fiat that decided she had to be agreed with, full stop.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

taichara posted:

Nah. She had Sanc handed over to her and then up and abandoned it and anyone living in it to their fates as soon as Romefeller clamped down so she could follow her boneheaded ideology; that's the opposite of being a hero, or even cognizant of her people's safety.

The only thing Relena had going for her was ironclad plot fiat that decided she had to be agreed with, full stop.

I'm gonna make a tl;dr post about Wing's plot and characters so fair warning.

The Sanc Kingdom had been destroyed years earlier. She re-founded the country which is believable enough, seeing as she's a long lost heir to a popular monarchy returned to everyone in an hour of need. I've often heard that chick from Gundam 00 being useless is some sort of "commentary" about how ineffective someone like Relena would be in reality. Unfortunately, the 00 writers didn't make her a 1:1 copy of Relena. Relena has advantages Marina or whoever she was did not, such as the aforementioned long lost royalty thing. Basically, just as Romefeller poses to crush the entire world under its boot heel, a savior arrived in the form of a dynasty long thought dead and buried. It's very easy to see why people rallied around her, quite apart from any natural charisma she might have.

Romefeller in effect controlled the entire Earth and most of the colonies. It was Relena and the Sanc Kingdom that offered the first real resistance to their tyranny. Unfortunately, the Mobile Dolls meant that Romefeller had pretty much an infinite army to throw at a tiny group of dwindling rebels. When Romefeller took off the kid gloves, they could have easily laid waste to the entire Sanc Kingdom, killed everyone, and Relena knew that.

One of the most recurring themes in Wing is that the Pilots are loving useless. It doesn't matter if a Gundam can destroy a 100 Leos,, that isn't going to destabilize the government. Five teenagers with attitude cannot topple a planetary government. Enter Relena. Heero, the supposed main character, is little more than her bodyguard. He and Quatre go to the Sanc Kingdom specifically because it's the only place that can resist Romefeller and they recognize the best they can do is support her. Unfortunately, as I said, they are "Losers." They are defined by fighting against utterly hopeless odds. And so Relena chose to become Romefeller's pawn instead of seeing her kingdom annihilated just like happened last time.

Only, she was too good at her job. Duke Whatever His Name Was hoped to make use of Relena's popularity to make everyone submit to the Romefeller Empire. All that happened was that the less warhawk members of Romefeller rallied around Relena as someone who could turn things around and make things better.

I think one thing that really sets Relena above and beyond her clones like Lacus is that Relena was not created this way. She was not always Ms. Peace and Love. She was originally just a lonely rich kid piningover Heero. Then her dad got murdered and where as Lacus just kind of boohoo'ed about that, Relena went out, got a gun, and tried to blow off Lady Une's head. It's the first really proactive thing she does in the series and it's fitting that one of the last things she does in the series is specifically pass up the chance to repeat the incident without missing this time. In short, Relena was not born some great messiah of love and pacifism, she actually had development that made her that way. We got to see her grow and change in a way none of her clones did.

So yeah, I love Relena Peacecraft and think she's a legitimately good character. Sorry.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
To be fair, Lacus's money and political power basically won two wars. Don't piss her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Time for another SeanBeanShako's Gundam Uniform Review!

So yeah, I am pleased we all got off to a fun start now but we got to also check out the bad as well as the good. First off, I'm going to try and go easy on Glemy as a character. I might be a little tiny bit biased towards him what with being a gigantic Haman fanboy and well the weird nature of his character which to be fair was stretched out weirdly to cover Char's position with ZZ since CCA was confirmed now. So yeah, I'll try and be good and focus on not the character but his duds. I also want to point out I quite enjoy the casual eighties ze rust look and appearince of most ZZ characters (except the weird ironic khaki tie/bow ties CERTAIN SIDE CHARACTERS CHOOSE TO WEAR) and to me this one of the few blips on the radar. Well, this and that awful lime green spacesuit the Glemy faction decided was appropriate to wear.

my skin IS CRAWLING

So uh, where to begin. Well I'll try and focus on what I like to be fair before I get angry at anime soldier uniforms. I dig the cut of the uniform at least, the collar is pretty nice. Obviously they are going for the SPACE IMPERIALISTS look that was quite a hit with Zeon prior. In a way, It reminds me sort of a Hussar uniform if you mentally cut out the obvious problem. Really, Glemy or his tailor had some good ideas at the start. But then again, this was the UC space eighties. At some point they must have snorted some space drug because in further drafts stuff like HOLY poo poo A GIANT loving SPACE DRAGON IN A RED DRAGON WOULD LOOK HELLA SWEET and NEEDS MORE HOLSTERS were scribbled all over the design document for this thing. Somehow, you can even feature creep a uniform. Who knew. I think they are trying to do some sort of light cuirass or braced gorget thing as it is clearly linked to the silly pointy epaulettes on closer examination.

what a doorknob he is

When we first meet Glemy, dude is just one of those wet behind the ears naive as hell Axis guys just cruishing around hanging with the whacky Marhsmellow man and having zany hijinx. And he was wearing the slightly updated and perfectly sensible looking Axis grunt gear. I mean, it worked. And it isn't like Zeon or Axis have sticks up their butts reguarding uniform regulations. Haman is chill enough to roll with shutter shades on her now. Instead, Glemy should have looked to the past like with everything else Zeon seems to do and just have borrowed the sweet uniforms that his alleged daddy wore or hell if he was determined to stick with blue just copy Ramba Ral. I mean, I know Axis was at the edge of the asteroid belt and everything but surely if Chara Soon can find TWO TONE blond and red hair dye Glemy could have borrow some extra lace and blue the poo poo out of his old uniform. It'd be less embarassing.

But yeah, I loving hate the massive dragon badge. What does it do? we don't see that symbol at all now in the anime outside it decorating the mans nipple. I mean, if this was the personal crest of Ghiren Zabi or Glemy's mother that would make sense I guess. But why is it so big. It looks like it made of metal or something heavy. It'd throw your centre of balance off certainly and make doing anything a pain in the rear end to do now. Maybe that is why Glemy more or less quits flying mobile suits. It was either they went or the dumb rear end giant tit badge went. And he was clearly proud or paid a lot of money for dragon tit badge. Also, what is with the stupid little holsters? I don't see any guns in them. You have TWO holsters and not a gun in either? I'll be frank. This is not a uniform of a leader or even a major character. In my eyes, anyway. Can this uniform be saved?

I'm not sure. I mean, the stupid loving badge has to go or be resized so it doesn't look bad and take up half the chest area. Maybe change the trousers to something red, lose one of the holsters and introduce a more tradtional Zeon style pattern to the cloth. Maybe even drop the pointy weird cuffs and go with something more classical. I mean to be fair, It isn't as loving awful as the uniforms the bad guys in that Martian Successor movie. But it tragically lacks effort. Maybe deep down Glemy knew whilst high off his tits of space dust celebrating his first promotion and goal in his PLAN TO TAKE OVER AXIS. Why get serious? the moment Haman and the AEUG are space dust that crafty bastard Rakan would stab stab him in the back space Puru 2 and zoom off to glory. Maybe like Glemy, this uniform is doomed.

Hey baby, wanna see my dragon?...what

So yeah. Half a Garma head. I'm not cruel, but nobody takes GIANT DRAGON TIT BADGES seriously.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 28, 2016