Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Snapcaster is like one of the only examples of a card that I think actually really doesn't need to be in standard again. It constrains the power level of the spells around it way too much, or is either totally broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

griselbrand is dead in-story so he can literally be never reprinted ever in any circumstances because of flavor and his ban from commander.

Not if they do the "Echos" thing that has been rumored.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stinkles1112 posted:

Snapcaster is like one of the only examples of a card that I think actually really doesn't need to be in standard again. It constrains the power level of the spells around it way too much, or is Either totally broken.

Keeping it trapped in a format where modern masters, in super limited qualities, is the only way its going to be created again pretty much creates a quasi-new reserved list. That is kind of the root of the problem.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
it's gonna be madness, with the following support mechanics:

Blue: Looters, which will incidentally feed the graveyard-based mechanic as well
Red: That lovely discard, then draw looter, because red is blue but bad
Black: Synchronous discard, including a "hymn to tourach" type card that will cost you a random card plus the hymn in exchange for their two random cards, but it will cost 1BB. Due to power levels of the format this will still be playable and on camera we will see someone rip the perfect self-discard to enable their madness burn spell for exactsies while stripping the negate out of their opponent's hand.
White: Spellshapers all themed around healing and protection with a flavor of superstition (there will be flavor text about throwing salt over one's shoulder, but here in Innistrad, they throw more) and then one Pushed For Standard guy that will be the only one people will play because he will be a mythic with a removal ability instead of lovely limited abilities.
Green: Wild Mongrel-type pump, but with +2/+2 and a mythic rare that is a 6/6 for 5GG without trample that gets +6/+6 for each discarded card. WotC will write articles about how powerful this card could be when paired with some lovely cards but nobody will ever play it except casuals who are disappointed to discover that casting a 7 drop does not usually result in them having enough cards in hand to both clear the way for the non-trampler nor to discard 3 of them to 1-shot the opponent which is the whole goal of the casual deck. They will then buy 4 harmonizes and play this against their little brothers.

I feel as though I have had a vision from the future

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Keeping it trapped in a format where modern masters, in super limited qualities, is the only way its going to be created again pretty much creates a quasi-new reserved list. That is kind of the root of the problem.

Yup. They need a product like modern masters that gets yearly updates, focuses less on the draftability of it so it doesn't waste developers time and keeps staples in print. If they did this as a long term strategy it would cap prices to the EV of the boxes. There are things they could do like set a price threshold if a card goes above $50 avg on the secondary market for 3+ months schedule it for reprint and announce it. However this would require them to get directly involved in the secondary market and they'll never do it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There will always be a best card in a set. I don't think that has anything to do with modern design philosophy or the relative power level of the set as a whole.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skyl3lazer posted:

So in upcoming set chat -

Rosewater mentioned on his blog that poison was the mechanic with the longest return time - 15 years not including TSP - but that another mechanic was returning within the next few years (0-3) that *might* take that record. e; It's explicitly not banding.

So, what could it be? This is the stuff in the right time range -

Cumulative Upkeep 2006 (10 years) - A contender, but 10 years isn't really close to 15. Plus, upkeep costs haven't really been a thing in general recently.
Fading 2000 (16 years) - Possible, but last I heard they didn't like fading because players didn't notice that they were getting an undercosted thing, just that it felt bad that it didn't stick around.
Madness 2002 (14 years) - Lots of really weird rules issues
Recover 2006 (10 years) - Again, 10 isn't 15, but has interesting graveyard synergies.
Ripple 2004 (12 years) - COOOOOLD SNAAAAAP Yeah no way this one is it but I can hope, ok?

Out of all of these, rules issues aside, it does actually seem like Madness has the best chance to be the returning mechanic. I could see Recover or Fading as well but I'd place them below Madness in terms of player excitement for a returning mechanic. I just hope it's after processors rotate.

Flanking? (not including TSP)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Snaps was in a standard with Mana Leak and Ponder and managed to not get banned.

Now he'd be in a standard with Void Shatter and Anticipate and if that's too powerful for Standard then Standard is weaker than Fallen Empires sealed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's pretty obvious that a 2 mana blue creature that flashes back spells would not be good in standard

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Man, flanking owns.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

They have never reprinted a named character in an expansion set without just making a new version of that named character. Timeshifted cards withstanding for obvious reasons. It would take an entire philosophical overhaul for them to even consider reprinting LotV or Griselbrand or Geist of St Traft in an expansion set, and that's even ignoring any storyline reasons for them to not be reprinted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Core sets are gone now so that overhaul is probably happening.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Flanking is in a weird space according to MaRo in that it is named in such a way (HORSE CARDS) that the mechanic is difficult to use in a general context. The same problem arrives with Bushido and Ninjitsu.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

Treshhold

It's graveyard themed, Judgment was 2002

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Real Foogla posted:

Treshhold

It's graveyard themed, Judgment was 2002

Threshhold is an ability word not a mechanic. That said, if MaRo wasn't being literal about "Mechanic" than it's a possibility.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah it's pretty obvious that a 2 mana blue creature that flashes back spells would not be good in standard

Especially since he is without Sword of Feast and Famine to grabble to pretend to be a good creature or Dismember to remove good creatures. Sylvan Advocate walls him forever and it gets worse and worse at higher CMCs.

He saw some play in RTR/INN but he was hardly what made WUx control so powerful in that format.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess the mechanic on the leaked card is a bit like Threshold.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That strikes me as very likely actually. Threshold is a "mechanic" in the colloquial sense, for sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I remember Rosewater saying he didn't like threshold in retrospect because there was no elegant way of keeping track of the number of cards in graveyard and at 7 it required more attention than he'd like, or something to that effect.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah it kinda seems like a "fixed" threshold, altho regular threshold was perfectly fine so why bother fixing it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What leaked card?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Threshhold is an ability word not a mechanic. That said, if MaRo wasn't being literal about "Mechanic" than it's a possibility.

Threshold is an ability word, not a keyword. They are both examples of mechanics. Other things that have historically not been keyworded, such as spellshaping and caring about creatures with power 5 or greater, are also mechanics.

Unless Maro has moved on to literally believing something is not a mechanic unless it is keyworded in which case

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That dumb demon that was mixed in with the first big Oath leak

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Especially since he is without Sword of Feast and Famine to grabble to pretend to be a good creature or Dismember to remove good creatures. Sylvan Advocate walls him forever and it gets worse and worse at higher CMCs.

He saw some play in RTR/INN but he was hardly what made WUx control so powerful in that format.
If only there were currently a 1U creature in standard that allowed you to cast instants and sorceries from your graveyard that we could use as a comparison.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

I forgot, Pokemon actually sell champion decks each year. They are not tournament legal because they have a different back. However, you get a complete deck for 15$, so there is an option for people who want to try decks for fun or to see if they like them before moving on to buy the legal cards.

Imagine being able to pay Wizards instead of black market for a high quality casual product.

This used to be a thing in Magic but no one bought them. I know personally, my first introduction to good decks was one of my friends buying the Tog deck that won Worlds back whenever that was and not figuring out how the deck was supposed to be played and being confused how it won a championship.

(we were really bad and didn't really know the rules well either).

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Can't wait for the Innistrad UB Jace reveal

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

See I want them to bring back the World Champion decks, but making them tournament legal. Imagine if every season the top 4 decks from the previous protour were released as a set with all 4 decks being 70-100 bucks. It would massively increase supply, especially for eternal formats, and it would be predictable when it would come out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If only there were currently a 1U creature in standard that allowed you to cast instants and sorceries from your graveyard that we could use as a comparison.

That's kind of underselling what all Vryn's Prodigy does, don't you think?

In Standard he always shows up with Delve spells or Collected Company, at that. Snappy doesn't work as well with Coco or Rally unless you have 8 or 9 mana to do it again.

Though having both of them is a bit too much redundancy. Oh well, guess we'll never print Snapcaster again.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Jace, The Groan Getter

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

What leaked card?

This guy

http://mythicspoiler.com/soi/cards/mindbreakerdemon.html

quote:

"Mindbreaker Demon"
2BB
Creature - Demon
Flying, trample

When Mindbreaker Demon enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you don't have 4 or more card types in your graveyard, you lose 4 life.
4/5

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rinkles posted:

Horsemanship. Bring back horsemanship.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sigma-X posted:

it's gonna be madness, with the following support mechanics:

Blue: Looters, which will incidentally feed the graveyard-based mechanic as well
Red: That lovely discard, then draw looter, because red is blue but bad
Black: Synchronous discard, including a "hymn to tourach" type card that will cost you a random card plus the hymn in exchange for their two random cards, but it will cost 1BB. Due to power levels of the format this will still be playable and on camera we will see someone rip the perfect self-discard to enable their madness burn spell for exactsies while stripping the negate out of their opponent's hand.
White: Spellshapers all themed around healing and protection with a flavor of superstition (there will be flavor text about throwing salt over one's shoulder, but here in Innistrad, they throw more) and then one Pushed For Standard guy that will be the only one people will play because he will be a mythic with a removal ability instead of lovely limited abilities.
Green: Wild Mongrel-type pump, but with +2/+2 and a mythic rare that is a 6/6 for 5GG without trample that gets +6/+6 for each discarded card. WotC will write articles about how powerful this card could be when paired with some lovely cards but nobody will ever play it except casuals who are disappointed to discover that casting a 7 drop does not usually result in them having enough cards in hand to both clear the way for the non-trampler nor to discard 3 of them to 1-shot the opponent which is the whole goal of the casual deck. They will then buy 4 harmonizes and play this against their little brothers.

I feel as though I have had a vision from the future

You're not fooling anyone. Leaking spoilers to attempt to get us all banned won't fly this time around.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Jace, Destroyer of Minds 1UB
Planeswalker-Jace

+1:Target player draws 2 cards and discards 1
-2: Each opponent discards their hands, then draws x cards and puts the top x cards of their library into their graveyard, where X is equal to the number of cards discarded this way.
-8: You gain an emblem that says, "During each opponents upkeep, gain control of that player's turn unless they mill the top 30 cards of their library."

Loyalty-3

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 3, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

That's kind of underselling what all Vryn's Prodigy does, don't you think?

In Standard he always shows up with Delve spells or Collected Company, at that. Snappy doesn't work as well with Coco or Rally unless you have 8 or 9 mana to do it again.

Though having both of them is a bit too much redundancy. Oh well, guess we'll never print Snapcaster again.

I'm curious how jace is going to look after fetches and delve leave the format. It's still an obviously powerful card but I wonder if I'll remain good enough to command that absurd price tag.

Considering that SOI is almost certainly going to enable graveyard strategies even more, I'm sure he will but a guy can dream.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 3, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm curious how jace is going to look after fetches and delve leave the format. It's still an obviously powerful card but I wonder if I'll remain good enough to command that absurd price tag.

He's still easily the most powerful blue card in the format. I'll expect his price to take a small hit, but he is still a massively powerful card. He was a Mythic in a poorly opened set that is a 4 of for anyone running blue and is playable in multiple formats (if not amazing), I wouldn't expect him ever to drop below 40 as long as he is in standard.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pokemon is interesting as a game that actually has a much larger collectible component to it than Magic. The most expensive cards in sets does not directly correlate with how much competitive play the cards actually see, and are often really big splashy timmy legends that aren't actually good in constructed. How much money people will pay for a product in Pokemon doesn't necessarily correlate with how much they'd pay for a similar thing in Magic, because the audiences are different.

Also of course, cards don't really get up to Magic price levels in the first place, and a huge portion of decks are cards that can be found as commons all over the place with full art foil versions of them being worth several dollars. You can get started by buying a few precons/tins for copies of a big splashy Pokemon that a deck is built around, then fill out the rest of the deck with commons that aren't worth anything and you'll basically have a competitive list, only missing a few staple $10-20 cards that are good in pretty much any deck. It's even easier in Pokemon TCG Online, where the game has a Hearthstone-style free to play option, you "pay" for packs by buying physical packs and entering redeemable codes that come with the tips + tricks card in those physical packs (you can't directly pay for online packs), and you can trade for staples from other players. Also black potus is one of the developers on that game so it's worth checking out just for that reason if you have any interest in digital card games.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Yup. They need a product like modern masters that gets yearly updates, focuses less on the draftability of it so it doesn't waste developers time and keeps staples in print. If they did this as a long term strategy it would cap prices to the EV of the boxes. There are things they could do like set a price threshold if a card goes above $50 avg on the secondary market for 3+ months schedule it for reprint and announce it. However this would require them to get directly involved in the secondary market and they'll never do it.

They are essentially always directly involved in the secondary market. As has been written/discussed/linked to many times, wizards directly controls their profit by understanding the secondary market and essentially controlling prices of cards, to encourage the subsequent purchasing of valuable cards on Wizards own controlled schedule and pricepoint of the sealed product.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Skyl3lazer posted:

Flanking is in a weird space according to MaRo in that it is named in such a way (HORSE CARDS) that the mechanic is difficult to use in a general context. The same problem arrives with Bushido and Ninjitsu.

I know you are not maro (or?) but how is flanking specific to horses or culturally specific like those other two? Pretty general tactical and strategic concept there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Skyl3lazer posted:

So in upcoming set chat -

Rosewater mentioned on his blog that poison was the mechanic with the longest return time - 15 years not including TSP - but that another mechanic was returning within the next few years (0-3) that *might* take that record. e; It's explicitly not banding.

So, what could it be? This is the stuff in the right time range -

Cumulative Upkeep 2006 (10 years) - A contender, but 10 years isn't really close to 15. Plus, upkeep costs haven't really been a thing in general recently.
Fading 2000 (16 years) - Possible, but last I heard they didn't like fading because players didn't notice that they were getting an undercosted thing, just that it felt bad that it didn't stick around.
Madness 2002 (14 years) - Lots of really weird rules issues
Recover 2006 (10 years) - Again, 10 isn't 15, but has interesting graveyard synergies.
Ripple 2004 (12 years) - COOOOOLD SNAAAAAP Yeah no way this one is it but I can hope, ok?

Out of all of these, rules issues aside, it does actually seem like Madness has the best chance to be the returning mechanic. I could see Recover or Fading as well but I'd place them below Madness in terms of player excitement for a returning mechanic. I just hope it's after processors rotate.

Madness in an Innistrad set would be super cool so I hope it's madness.
It could be Threshold too. When did we last see that? Both play well with graveyard themes.

Sickening posted:

WOTC is in a position to look at what was powerful and popular in these previous sets and balance the set around reprinting them. Shadows for instantance could include these cards.

Liliana of the Veil
Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls
blood moon
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Griselbrand
Craterhoof Behemoth
Huntmaster of the Fells
ETC

Lily and snapcaster would still be your most expensive cards, but the power level of those below it would balance the price of the sealed box more. The more cards are equal in power level, new or reprinted, the healthier the price of the set are. The more jam packed a set is the longer prices stay reasonable. This just involves a design philosophy they aren't comfortable with anymore.
Lili isn't getting reprinted because they don't really do planeswalker reprints, for ~*~story reasons~*~
Similarly they tend not to do straight-up reprints of legendary creatures. Almost guaranteed we'll get a 3rd Avacyn card in SoI or the next small set, but it won't be a reprint.
Griselbrand is out for that reason and also because in the story he's dead.
lol if you think Blood Moon is something they want anywhere near Standard.
Bringing back double-faced cards for Innistrad II seems likely, but they'll probably do something different with them and not use the same 0-spells/2-spells flip condition as the first time, so a Huntmaster reprint is pretty unlikely.
I doubt Craterhoof is even really on their radar for a Standard reprint. It sees play in, what, Legacy elves?

Snapcaster and Cavern could be reprinted but they're both powerful enough that Development would be worried. Snapcaster in particular really restricts what kind of cheap Instants they can print in the sets around it.

Honestly I expect Shadows Over Innistrad to not really have any high profile reprints in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think we brought this up a while back - it's Madness. He's been dropping a ton of hints about it.

• Locked thread