Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

The base box holds all the boards, instruction manuals, investigator and ancient one cards, and a bead box full of tokens.

The cards are all in card boxes.

So not everything is in the base box, but it's a hell of a lot more convenient than lugging around the expansion boxes.

Oh I thought maybe there was some sneaky way to get it all in one box denser than the sun :(

In that case I might just use the app for the cards and keep it to one box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My mother and sister insisted on playing Space Alert and it went fine (for a given value of fine given it's Space Alert!).

Then again my mother now has started to collect Ticket to Ride expansions so maybe she's not the most typical :v:

We played the team variant of the Asia map and it was a really fun and refreshing experience.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
RISK question: Wooden blocks vs. plastic figurines, which do you prefer?

I like the versatility of having a piece that represents 5 units with the plastic set, but the wooden cubes stack neatly and are, in their own way, more menacing.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 3, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I like the versatility of having a piece that represents 5 units with the plastic set, but the wooden cubes stack neatly and are, in their own way, more menacing.

Lord of the Rings Risk has elves, horsemen, trolls and orcs so the plastic ones for sure

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cubes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like wood

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

This is a false dichotomy

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Applewhite posted:

Plastic figures, cause having little mans form a giant horde is cool

Risk: Legacy owns if you're not playing it, so get it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

It's why I couldn't really ever be a proper reviewer: I only write about things that I've played enough to understand and that I think are interesting enough to post about (either positively or negatively) and that doesn't happen often for me to keep a regular review schedule.

Then don't review games; critiquing them sounds more up your alley :sun:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Azran posted:

Also RPS is pretty meh when it comes to boardgame reviews. I haven't even checked if they have more than one writer for that column, but at least one of them recommends Talisman, Dead of Winter and TIME Stories while saying "it's just fun", it's amazing.

Edit: Goddamnit I forgot you can edit outside of E/N.

Yeah, the writer they have for that section is not very good. There are a lot of people who post in this thread who would be much better board game reviewers/writers. His formula is basically 'latch onto what's popular and talk about it'. So it comes as no surprise that most of the games he recommends or calls good are the usual overhyped suspects you mentioned. It also really prevents this section of RPS from really standing out from the crowd. If it's just recycled hivemind, then there's really not much worth commenting on or digging into. His recommendations for 2015 are just that, which is a problem.

Like, if RPS wanted to stand out, they need to engage the popular stuff but they also need to identify the hidden gems and bring them into the light. SUSD caused a run at my FLGS on Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective which is a game that flew under a lot of people's radars for quite some time. They also need to be comfortable with having a dissenting opinion at times, but not for the sake of having a dissenting opinion to generate traffic. Like, don't go off and slag A Distant Plain because it's a cool and edgy thing to do, but feel comfortable slagging Cosmic Encounter with well-informed and well-researched logic into why it's not as good as everyone seems to keep saying it is.

It's something to read, but I treat his recommendations with a grain of salt just like I do with Tom Vasel's recommendations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah it's a commentary on the state of board game criticism that the best video game website manages only to get so far as "Cosmic enounter was fun when I was small and is still fun, forever."

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

RPS takes their board game section as seriously as ESPN takes their e-sports section

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Plastic figures, cause having little mans form a giant horde is cool

Risk: Legacy owns if you're not playing it, so get it

What's different in Risk: Legacy?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Applewhite posted:

The game changes as you play it. After 12 or so sessions you are done and the game cannot (easily) be played again.

Cool concept and if you have a solid core group it is amazingly fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Applewhite posted:

The game is mechanically similar but all "Legacy" games (which may just be Risk and Pandemic right now?) involve permanently altering game components in some way. Risk, for instance, has the players all sign their names on the board before starting. Over the course of the 12-15 game campaign you'll tear up cards, open packets of components with special restrictions ("Open when someone first builds X"), and some other stuff. I don't actually love it but that's because I don't like Risk, but the Legacy mechanics definitely make it a cooler game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

The game is mechanically similar but all "Legacy" games (which may just be Risk and Pandemic right now?) involve permanently altering game components in some way. Risk, for instance, has the players all sign their names on the board before starting. Over the course of the 12-15 game campaign you'll tear up cards, open packets of components with special restrictions ("Open when someone first builds X"), and some other stuff. I don't actually love it but that's because I don't like Risk, but the Legacy mechanics definitely make it a cooler game.

Third one will be Seafall, the first legacy game not based on an existing game. Not out yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Risk Legacy even worth getting now that you can get a Legacy game not stapled to a lovely ruleset?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

StashAugustine posted:

Is Risk Legacy even worth getting now that you can get a Legacy game not stapled to a lovely ruleset?

Well, considering the person who asked likes Risk, I'd say yes in their case.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Countblanc posted:

Well, considering the person who asked likes Risk, I'd say yes in their case.

I was asking in a general sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's the only competitive Legacy-style game currently so if you really don't like co-ops and can stomach Risk's rules it might be worth a shot I guess. It depends how much the novelty appeals to you.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The game changes as you play it. After 12 or so sessions you are done and the game cannot (easily) be played again.

To be precise, if I understand correctly, you can still play the game; it just stops changing after the first 12 or so games. Of course that's half the fun, but still.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

McNerd posted:

To be precise, if I understand correctly, you can still play the game; it just stops changing after the first 12 or so games. Of course that's half the fun, but still.

Yes. But I cant see playing the changed board after the Legacy part has stopped.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Countblanc posted:

12 games? Are they lightning games or something? That's like, 12 days worth of play.
My wife and my 3 day Arcadia Quest campaign almost wiped us out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Applewhite posted:

12 games? Are they lightning games or something? That's like, 12 days worth of play.
It's supposed to last you weeks or months. Campaign as in "once you finish these 12 to 15 games, you would need to buy the game again to play again". Each war changes the map in subtle but permanent ways. (Or, eventually, not-so-subtle ways.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

It's supposed to be a replacement for the weekly D&D game, a continuing campaign over multiple weeks.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The early games also go a LOT faster than standard RISK. IIRC you need 4 VP to win, your starting HQ is worth 1 vp, and if you haven't won a game yet you start with a free VP, so the first game everyone is already halfway to winning, and you can trade in a certain number of territory cards for VP so if you can just take one territory on your turn you can get a bit closer to victory. I know there was another RISK game that had the Victory Point system but hell if it's not the best fix to the godawful "conquer literally everything" of classic RISK.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

When you automate the dice rolling combat resolution of Risk it becomes 500% better. Manually rolling to resolve 50+ army battles is painful

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

It's also funny cause when you do something for a single game gain like, let's say, turn Iceland to glass, only to realize a couple weeks later during your next game that "oh gently caress.... Europe from way of North America is hosed"? That is when the true Risk: Legacy experience happens

It also does an excellent job of drip feeding you fun surprises so you're always getting that "I CANT WAIT TO PLAY WITH THIS" dopamine surge

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious what other games are going to start playing with Legacy mechanics. I should bite my tongue, but Talisman actually seems like a decent candidate.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

The Supreme Court posted:

Shut up and sit down just reviewed Blood Rage and seemed to miss everything that makes the game great. Quinns makes a good point about the objectification, but then focused the whole review saying that it was a bad card game where everything was decided by the draft.

The draft is drat important, but the actual meat of the game is how players adapt during their turns after the draft; spotting what other people are doing and changing your own plans is absolutely pivotal to doing well. That's where the majority of the interesting decisions come in, especially when you need to jettison the plan you devised during drafting and create something new from the limited cards you've crippled yourself with. I can't understand how a critical review would let this go without mention and then slam the game for having no depth past the drafting. :psyduck:

The issue Quinns has with the scoring, that it's visible and catching the leader up can be impossible and disheartening, was only true for us during the first game. Since then, and especially after we've got to grips with the more nuanced strategies, the scoreboard has proved a very loose sketch of who's winning, usually eclipsed by various point explosions in the final turn.

It reads as if he's only played it once, basically. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think, as I reckon this game had significantly more depth than SUSD give it credit for.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-blood-rage/

I deliberately skipped the review because I thought they'd be gushing over it like many other reviewers. I'm actually gonna have to go and watch it now.

My general thoughts are that the game is solid, but the hype is well and truly out of control. The game is pretty much won and lost in the draft, as there does seem to be imbalances in the strength of the cards/monsters. Yes, there is scope for adaptive strategies, but it's very easy to get blown out of the game due to a weak draft with few options to come back until the next age.

EDIT: So it wasn't a video review, and generally, I agree with it. The area control comes second banana to the drafting. Always. If I'm going to have dudes on a map, what they do had better matter. In this respect, Lang's earlier game Chaos in the Old World is much better, and Kemet is far better still. Buy Kemet instead. It's the best.

The End fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 3, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The End posted:

My general thoughts are that the game is solid, but the hype is well and truly out of control. The game is pretty much won and lost in the draft, as there does seem to be imbalances in the strength of the cards/monsters. Yes, there is scope for adaptive strategies, but it's very easy to get blown out of the game due to a weak draft with few options to come back until the next age.

Please elaborate.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I haven't read the SU&SD review, but I was really underwhelmed with Blood Rage. I already own Kemet and Chaos, so I really can't see any reason to ever pull it out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Scyther posted:

The early games also go a LOT faster than standard RISK. IIRC you need 4 VP to win, your starting HQ is worth 1 vp, and if you haven't won a game yet you start with a free VP, so the first game everyone is already halfway to winning, and you can trade in a certain number of territory cards for VP so if you can just take one territory on your turn you can get a bit closer to victory. I know there was another RISK game that had the Victory Point system but hell if it's not the best fix to the godawful "conquer literally everything" of classic RISK.

This. This is the main mechanical difference, and it's ridiculous how much it changes the game. In normal Risk, if you manage to control North and South America then you've already won and it's just a matter of grinding your opponents down, which can take an hour. In R: Legacy, you win there and then.

Plus all the assorted Legacy stuff, which is great if you have a constant core of players.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sector_corrector posted:

I'm curious what other games are going to start playing with Legacy mechanics. I should bite my tongue, but Talisman actually seems like a decent candidate.

Coup, now watch as you see the shape of court permanently change!

Also would be the shortest legacy game ever.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, the writer they have for that section is not very good. There are a lot of people who post in this thread who would be much better board game reviewers/writers. His formula is basically 'latch onto what's popular and talk about it'. So it comes as no surprise that most of the games he recommends or calls good are the usual overhyped suspects you mentioned. It also really prevents this section of RPS from really standing out from the crowd. If it's just recycled hivemind, then there's really not much worth commenting on or digging into. His recommendations for 2015 are just that, which is a problem.

Like, if RPS wanted to stand out, they need to engage the popular stuff but they also need to identify the hidden gems and bring them into the light. SUSD caused a run at my FLGS on Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective which is a game that flew under a lot of people's radars for quite some time. They also need to be comfortable with having a dissenting opinion at times, but not for the sake of having a dissenting opinion to generate traffic. Like, don't go off and slag A Distant Plain because it's a cool and edgy thing to do, but feel comfortable slagging Cosmic Encounter with well-informed and well-researched logic into why it's not as good as everyone seems to keep saying it is.

It's something to read, but I treat his recommendations with a grain of salt just like I do with Tom Vasel's recommendations.

Speaking as someone who's kinda followed Rab through BGG and his Downtimetown videos (before his BBC show got picked up and he just abandoned it), that's not a formula for him or recycled hivemind. That's just his taste.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sector_corrector posted:

Arkham Horror :unsmigghh:

A legacy deckbuilder could be interesting, but I'm not sure how it would necessarily be distinct from, say, the separate missions of Legendary Alien

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
He's also a man who thinks he's a table.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Blood Bowl with some kind of on the field carnage Legacy mechanic would be loving awesome/hilarious

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Said it before, will say it again: A 30 years' war legacy wargame.

100 years' war would do in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I loving did it, thread. I pledged to the Codex kickstarter for a Core set. It seems like an interesting enough game that it will, at the very least, be worth a cold $60, considering what other disappointments I've bought with that amount of money. Rahdo's run through did a pretty good job of letting me see the feel of the game, and if I can find any info anywhere that says that I can do a templar drop on someone else's workers then the game will be worth my while.