Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

YESSSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Those are beautiful.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Facebook's shutting down Parse: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/facebook-to-shut-down-parse-its-platform-for-mobile-developers/?_r=0

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just spent the last two hours researching weather I should go with Firebase or Parse

This made it a lot easier

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
If Parse can get so easily shut down by Facebook who's to say that Firebase won't get similarly shut down by Google in the future? Too much risk, IMO.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

gently caress. This just created a bunch of work for me this year. At least they're doing a nice job with the transition (1 year runway, open sourced the code, etc).

Though I was literally just debating moving one app's backend to Django so I could build it a web app vs going with Backbone (which I'd have to learn) + Parse. I guess that decision is now dramatically simpler.

NoDamage posted:

If Parse can get so easily shut down by Facebook who's to say that Firebase won't get similarly shut down by Google in the future? Too much risk, IMO.

Agreed. I would just transition to another PaaS, but honestly this is pushing me back to the "roll your own backend, never rely on someone else" dogma. I've been mildly concerned about some these products evaporating as the money that flowed into the valley because of ZIRP starts to dry up. Parse shuttering like this has me worried that my concerns might actually be warranted.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 29, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Isn't "rolling your own" typically relatively insecure and A Bad Idea? My app is just a project for school and I don't feel like writing thousands of lines of code that Firebase seems to reduce to significantly less

Especially because I am not super keen on having to gently caress around with MySQL/php

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Didn't we open-source most of the Parse stack? I wonder how much is missing for someone to stand up their own instance/service business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, there are migration tools and an API compatible implementation in Node that the team released.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10991745 has a link and such

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Tusen Takk posted:

Isn't "rolling your own" typically relatively insecure and A Bad Idea? My app is just a project for school and I don't feel like writing thousands of lines of code that Firebase seems to reduce to significantly less

Especially because I am not super keen on having to gently caress around with MySQL/php

Whatever your project for school is just build a rails 4 app with postgresql. You'll be fine with running it on Heroku.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NoDamage posted:

True, but Google is trying to be in the business of selling cloud services and app backends. The concept of Firebase as a service seems much more aligned with Google's business than Parse would be aligned with Facebook's.

I'd probably be more worried about Twitter killing Fabric than Google killing Firebase.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
IMO Parse was acquired at a time when Facebook was still figuring out its mobile strategy, and given that Microsoft, Amazon, and Google have their own clouds and cloud services, it's possible they were thinking about competing on that front as well.

Guess Facebook doesn't really want to be in the business of building a cloud. Would probably explain why they rejected Dell's overtures to collaborate on OCP.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

True, but Google is trying to be in the business of selling cloud services and app backends. The concept of Firebase as a service seems much more aligned with Google's business than Parse would be aligned with Facebook's.

I'd probably be more worried about Twitter killing Fabric than Google killing Firebase.

I think it's inevitable that Twitter will kill Crashlytics, Fabric, etc.

Google killing Firebase is a 50/50 depending on which side of the bed Larry gets up on.

I'd only trust Amazon or Microsoft. The former has a massive business providing cloud services. The latter is pinning their future hopes on cloud hosting and has a history of supporting everything forever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ender.uNF posted:

I think it's inevitable that Twitter will kill Crashlytics, Fabric, etc.

Hot drat, that'll be a flood of tears. Seems like the biggest outrage gets saved for the free services.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wow. Good thing I'm a slow developer that never got around to using Parse.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pokeyman posted:

Hot drat, that'll be a flood of tears. Seems like the biggest outrage gets saved for the free services.

The funny thing is I'm sure my team would gladly pay for Crashlytics if we could. We're running a multi-million install product and it's seriously useful for our process. If I had to pay for something I'd much prefer to pay for Crashlytics than HockeyApp.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't mean "build my own backend from the ground up with PHP and SQL statements hosted on my own custom server" - that's a terrible idea. I mean "use a battle tested framework and host on AWS or Heroku or Azure."

The security concerns would be the same sort of concerns faced by any other Rails/Django/Express/Laraval/whatever app, and this way I can just move the backend to a different VM provider if my provider happens to go under. It's still a pain in the rear end, but much less so than porting to a whole new PaaS provider with a whole different SDK.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 29, 2016

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
gently caress Parse. I've always hated that name. What are they "parsing"? Is it a parser generator, like Antlr? No, it's just some web/mobile bullshit? Good riddance. Don't give your poo poo misleading simple names.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's a service that promises to manage computer things that have a reputation of being difficult or annoying. Parsing is also a computer thing with a reputation of being difficult or annoying.

At least they didn't call it parse.ly.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or Pars

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just to make sure - iOS doesn't support backgrounding for UDP connections, right?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a decent guide for how to make a UI for an OSX program?

I've got a simple script that I want to have a single window with some buttons and an output box. I can figure out how to make the UI window itself, but nothing else that would make it functional at all.

My program is a C++ script.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I don't know if there are any guides that exist that specific.
Breaking your problem up though: Lots of guides about drawing a simple panel.

then with that built theres a few ways for importing c++ code or calling into the commandline according to what your UI says..

http://www.raywenderlich.com/17811/how-to-make-a-simple-mac-app-on-os-x-10-7-tutorial-part-13
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/412562/execute-a-terminal-command-from-a-cocoa-app/696942#696942 (or just import your c++)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My program is basically a C++ script that does A Thing or Two, but right now it runs from Terminal and I'm having to hit keys to call functions. I'd rather pres butan and have a text window that displays some output data, instead of flooding terminal with messages. I

I tried making a new Cocoa Application in Xcode then copying over the C++ file (it's a simple file) but kept getting linker errors and couldn't figure out how to get the UI to actually do something in the code. I'm not a developer, I just know basic C++. I know what linkers are and how it should work, but I can't figure out how to actually go about turning code into a program with Xcode. I made the window with all the buttons and things, but they don't do anything at the moment since I have no idea how to get them to do something inside the program.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I wondered this when you posted in the c++ thread, but is there a reason you're doing this in C++? It seems like once you're making an OS X GUI app you should also think about writing it in Swift or something.

Unless it's a project to help you learn C++, in which case that's fine and I would look into Objective-C++ and hitting the Cocoa APIs from there.

How are you currently building your C++ app?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dessert Rose posted:

I wondered this when you posted in the c++ thread, but is there a reason you're doing this in C++? It seems like once you're making an OS X GUI app you should also think about writing it in Swift or something.

Unless it's a project to help you learn C++, in which case that's fine and I would look into Objective-C++ and hitting the Cocoa APIs from there.

How are you currently building your C++ app?

I learned C++ during an Electrical Engineering program (mainly to know a language that could be used to control machines and the like), so it just happens to be the only language I'm familiar with. There really isn't any use for me to learn another programming language professionally, and I don't really program as a hobby (aside from some Project Euler things, which can be done with nearly anything).

I assume the simplicity of the app is such that it wouldn't warrant learning an entirely new language for just something simple like this (though I would if I was doing any "heavier" development). The app just sends a few commands to Terminal, just like the user entered them. I'm just trying to make it a standalone .app and have a UI that the user can pres butan instead of having to navigate Terminal. Again, it's not hard to use, I was just wanting to make it look a little more polished with a standalone app.

Essentially, the program just launches with "Press A for something, press B for something else" and then runs a function which sends a command to Terminal. The function does something under-the-hood and outputs some minor data to the screen. I was thinking of a UI with a text box and two buttons, maybe a checkbox to alter the function in a minor way.

Currently, I just archive my app and then export it, which gives me a Unix executable that opens in Terminal.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 31, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a decent guide for how to make a UI for an OSX program?

I've got a simple script that I want to have a single window with some buttons and an output box. I can figure out how to make the UI window itself, but nothing else that would make it functional at all.

Any of the basic "introduction to Cocoa" tutorials should do, you'll need to use Objective-C++ in the file that calls your C++ code but overall that's not a very big deal if you can already handle C++.

Just keep in mind that Cocoa is a "don't call us, we'll call you" framework so you don't work with it by creating a window, running an event loop, processing events, etc. The framework already knows how to do all of that. You just need to wire up your custom code to your interface.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I tried making a new Cocoa Application in Xcode then copying over the C++ file (it's a simple file) but kept getting linker errors

To a .m file or to a .mm file? .mm results in implementation files being compiled as Objective-C++, .m is vanilla Objective-C.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

To a .m file or to a .mm file? .mm results in implementation files being compiled as Objective-C++, .m is vanilla Objective-C.

code:
duplicate symbol _main in:
    /Users/PRADA SLUT/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/SLUTAPP.-extkgcjcgfmkzhebihifjjinjmyt/Build/Intermediates/SLUTAPP.build/Debug/SLUTAPP.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/main-90E8FDEEF11CCC79.o
    /Users/PRADA SLUT/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/SLUTAPP.-extkgcjcgfmkzhebihifjjinjmyt/Build/Intermediates/SLUTAPP.build/Debug/SLUTAPP.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/main-2C6DECA9FA82767B.o
ld: 1 duplicate symbol for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
That's because you have two main() functions. One in the project Xcode created for you, and one in your C++ code presumably. You'll have to get rid of your C++ main() function.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

That's because you have two main() functions. One in the project Xcode created for you, and one in your C++ code presumably. You'll have to get rid of your C++ main() function.

The best way to do that would be to just rename it.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I don't even know what thread to post this in cause it spans so many platforms, but I guess I'll start here. A long time ago I shipped an iOS app. It's now expanded into additional native apps for Mac, Android, and Windows. As you might imagine, this leads to a lot of similar, almost duplicate code being written across different platforms in different languages. I would like to consolidate a bunch of business logic into a library that can be called from all 4 platforms, and am looking into various options:

C/C++ - Possibly the most straightforward, although I've heard calling into native code from Android is an enormous pain.
Rust - I know nothing about Rust but I guess you can build a Rust library that can be called from Objective-C/Java/C# the same way you would call a normal C library.
Xamarin - Write everything in C#. Licensing costs are a bit extreme, and there might be some performance issues with the Mono runtime under iOS/Android.
Silver (Swift) - I've never heard of this project before today, but apparently it lets you write code in Swift and compile into libraries for Cocoa/.NET/Android.

I'm starting with some text processing tasks so at the very least I'll need some Unicode aware string manipulation abilities, plus regular expression support. C++ seems like the "safest" way to go about this but it might be a pain to create wrappers for every language. Silver seems like maybe the most convenient option but I've never heard of anyone using it and am skeptical about the maturity of the company/project.

Have I missed any other options? Anyone have experience doing something like this, or with Xamarin/Silver in particular?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

:) Hey Xcode, can you take me to this method's declaration?
:goleft: It's right here!
:) No, that's what I just clicked.
:goleft: Yep, that's the declaration!
:) Why does it say 'override' then?
:goleft:: Fun times.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean, that behavior is correct, just useless. It's a reasonable request that jumping to the "declaration" of an override should go to the (nearest?) overridden method.

ETA: You should file a radar, of course.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

ETA: You should file a radar, of course.

IIRC, that one has been on file for some time. I guess dups score higher, though.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

lord funk posted:

You should submit this to Texts from Xcode. He's been hurting for material recently.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dessert Rose posted:

You should submit this to Texts from Xcode. He's been hurting for material recently.

I must be starting to get the hang of iOS development, because I've experiencedregularly experience a worrying number of these.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So is swift the way to go now? I actually really like objective C but also don't want to end up as a stubborn old grandpa. I was gonna wait till the consensus was Swift is how everything should be and will be done. It's it time yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Swift is probably at the point where new development should be started in it unless you know you need Obj-C specifically. It's certainly the future for development on Apple platforms, it's just a matter of when and how Objective-C support is dropped as time goes on.