Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Rakthar posted:

This kind of attitude is so weird. The critiques of Cities: Skylines are not new or isolated to the guy you are calling the worst poster in the thread. The fact that there's not a ton of gameplay depth in some aspects isn't news or controversial.

No that's right, this guy is entitled for having criticisms that you don't agree with. That must be it.

There's criticisms and then there's accusing the developers of laziness, bad faith, getting literally pissed off that a new feature is actually closer to what actually wanted than your original claims that there's no way the devs could do anything but gently caress it up... there's "having genuine critiques", which many of us in this thread do, and "the developers didn't do things EXACTLY as I want them therefore they must be lazy, malicious assholes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

smr posted:

"the developers didn't do things EXACTLY as I want them therefore they must be lazy, malicious assholes".

Nowhere in his post was this even implied.

A lot of the frustration comes from the fact that CO is so close to making a near-perfect city sim, but falls short due to some really strange design decisions and oversights. What compounds this is the awesome work that modders have been doing that could have easily been in the vanilla game.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 30, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
CO is making a sound business decision to focus their resources on keeping the game accessible to filthy casuals rather than pleasing spergs.

That said, though Baronjutter (magnificent lovingly painstaking micromanager that he is) isn't the game's target market and shouldn't be, I think he's right that there's a lot of :effort: in the two distinctly underwhelming DLCs CO has produced so far.

That said, let's all take a moment to be thankful for the awesome game we already have. If this were an EA game then... oh wait. This was an EA game, we already know how that turned out.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's always Citybound, at least after Herbert (or whatever his name is) gets done moving to every known country in Europe.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I guess there isn't a SC4 thread anymore... does anyone know if there's a go-to download pack for modernizing a fresh SC4 install?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Eric the Mauve posted:

CO is making a sound business decision to focus their resources on keeping the game accessible to filthy casuals rather than pleasing spergs.

That said, though Baronjutter (magnificent lovingly painstaking micromanager that he is) isn't the game's target market and shouldn't be, I think he's right that there's a lot of :effort: in the two distinctly underwhelming DLCs CO has produced so far.

That said, let's all take a moment to be thankful for the awesome game we already have. If this were an EA game then... oh wait. This was an EA game, we already know how that turned out.

I really enjoyed the multiplayer concepts of Sim City. I was the garbage/water town and my friend was the fire/police town. This did not work at all and we had to build everything ourselves but it was a cool concept. I wish more games would say that they are that innovative.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I really enjoyed the multiplayer concepts of Sim City. I was the garbage/water town and my friend was the fire/police town. This did not work at all and we had to build everything ourselves but it was a cool concept. I wish more games would say that they are that innovative.

In a way, the multiplayer setup of cities xl made more sense. Trading bits away as a form of commodity. Excess water, people needing jobs, excess resource, whatever. The idea was nice anyway. But the game itself is a bit more of a sorry state. I would honestly be happy if that was the extent of cities: skyline's multiplayer though. Just an extra check mark in the simulation saying x people/resource from off map coming in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've honestly always wanted a good multiplayer simcity ever since simcity 2000 network addition, or playing a "multiplayer" simcity 4 region. Just a simple cities XL style region system would be cool. No need to actually calculate exact traffic flows or garbage between cities, just create a region which would be a little map with various city slots. Each city would mostly be its own thing, but excess/shortages of goods would be region-wide, and all those little off-map cars would still be mostly abstracted, but influenced by nearby towns. So you and some friends (or just you) could create a whole little region of cities together.

I actually really liked the core idea of cities XL or Simcity 2013's multiplayer, they were just implemented really really poorly. Would love to see a slightly more detailed Cities XL style resource system combined with a simple region-map thing with slots you can fill your self or with friends. Plus easy mod-pack support so the "host" or what ever would just share their mod/asset list so everyone was on the same page. I love playing city builders, but other than taking screen shots, it can be a bit of a lonely affair. I love the idea of trade and cooperation or even a little competition, and collaboratively building something big and cool. And even on the single player front, it would mean once you've "finished" a city it would still be there as part of your greater region.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every city builder multiplayer proposal sounds like a worse version of Anno. But I suppose now would be the time for that since Anno decided mp wasn't its bag either.

I guess what I see as a fundamental problem is that mp always hinges on a functioning supply chain if nothing else, and usually a hard balanced Catan situation that forces the no man is an island part. And that sort of supply chain done well is usually a game to itself so that throwing civics in there doesn't seem like it would add much, besides frustration.

It circles back around to how I'm always complaining about Skylines flabby economy, even though I like it better than a tighter balanced model like SC4 because it gives me a chance to do fun stuff with roads and planning.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm real glad CO added quantum parking to the game, makes traffic a lot less of a hassle now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is one ugly hybrid.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know, a VW bus with space ship fenders is something I never knew I wanted before,

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

zedprime posted:

I don't know, a VW bus with space ship fenders is something I never knew I wanted before,

extra pair of wheels to boot

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The kitbash is solid but needs work on the colour coordination

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm real glad CO added quantum parking to the game, makes traffic a lot less of a hassle now.

It almost looks like one of those 1950's/60's Car Of The Future type things.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ofaloaf posted:

WITNESS ME

Quick technical question: how do people save+share interchanges that are so much bigger than the default create-an-interchange interface? Is there an extension for the interface?

Alternately, is there something that would allow me to click-and-drag on a portion of an existing city and select it for saving as a custom interchange?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The NoPillars mod has a building mode which allows you to go beyond the borders. Still a bit of a chore though.

You can only save interchanges from the asset editor, not from cities.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ofaloaf posted:

Is it me or has a crowd of people turned out to marvel at this wonder?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ofaloaf posted:

New Landmark Unlocked: Philadelphia Experiment

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Snowfall will be released on February 18 and will cost $12.99.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are there mods that add more road types?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Burns posted:

Yeah. The Network Extensions Project and Traffic++ are the two big mods of that sort that come to mind. I use the Extensions mod, because I recall hearing something about Traffic++'s AI modifications eating ram like a motherfucker.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Burns posted:

Seconding Network Extensions. The extra road types allow some much more sensible neighborhood designs. I especially love the narrow 4 lane road, the 2 lane national road and the 2 lane highway.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah. The Network Extensions Project and Traffic++ are the two big mods of that sort that come to mind. I use the Extensions mod, because I recall hearing something about Traffic++'s AI modifications eating ram like a motherfucker.

Glory be to Sajuuk

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

New Dev Diary up, talks about plowing and heating: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-snowfall-dev-diary-3-snow-and-heating.906071/

Heating works pretty much like water service - they use the same pipes but a different building provides the heat. This is, uh, an interesting choice since water service is far and away the least fun thing in the game right now. If you don't provide heating pipes then buildings use more electricity.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yay, let's double up on one of the worst features. :bang:

I do like the santa hat chirpie though. :3:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its weird to read the phrase snow dump after growing up somewhere temperate enough that snow would melt before it needed to be physically removed to a separate dump, except for some of the more noteworthy blizzards.

As much as I defended the idea of services as a good gameplay lifeblood, that illusion is starting to fade now that we have water pipes that are also steam pipes, and garbage but with road speed.

e. My absolute favorite thing in the world is being insufferably right, but sometimes I actually hate it :smith:

zedprime posted:

Why do I have a bad feeling that plows are just going to be garbage trucks 2.0 on the winter map. Oh, right, because the tourist overhaul last DLC didn't actually overhaul and prisons were just power but for police.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

New Dev Diary up, talks about plowing and heating: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-snowfall-dev-diary-3-snow-and-heating.906071/

Heating works pretty much like water service - they use the same pipes but a different building provides the heat. This is, uh, an interesting choice since water service is far and away the least fun thing in the game right now. If you don't provide heating pipes then buildings use more electricity.

Yeah, a mod removing the need for that will be out within about 6 hours of release and will be used by almost everyone.

I love you and I love your game, CO, but at some point could you, uh, see your way around to maybe selling some features that actually make the game more fun in your DLC?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, a mod removing the need for that will be out within about 6 hours of release and will be used by almost everyone.

I love you and I love your game, CO, but at some point could you, uh, see your way around to maybe selling some features that actually make the game more fun in your DLC?

Yeah it's looking like the question is basically going to be "do you want to pay $13 for trams?" As much as I want trams I'm hoping I can resist since I feel like I should vote with my wallet on this one, it really does look awful.

They're talking about free features next week, though, so maybe there will be something interesting then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think it's just really difficult to make DLC for a city builder that includes features everyone's excited about buying. Even SC4 got only one expansion pack concurrent with The Sims 2 and its 14 expansions or whatever. You can't strip too many features out of a city builder to sell as DLC later or no one will buy the base game.

CO may have been better off just making one big expansion DLC at nearly full price, and then focusing their attention on regularly releasing building packs and maps for a few bucks each.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With the admitted hindsight of seeing the response to the current 2 DLC packs, I would have loved to see stuff like district packs and map themes getting sold for $5 a piece. Considering the long term players are all traffic weirdos, sell traffic and deep sim stuff as the mainline expansion DLC so they can reap their pound of flesh for fiddly bits like trams, more road types, better farming area fill, or flesh out existing civic issues and services.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd rather they have bigger more expensive expansions that add a ton of stuff and really address existing mechanics, or smaller DLC's you can pick, even if it's more expensive overall to buy them all. Like instead of having cosmetic weather, snow maps, and trams as a $12 DLC, sell trams at $8, snow maps at $8 or something. They might even make more money that way. A ton of people will want both, but a lot of people won't end up buying the expansion at all because it's over $10 and they think half of it is stupid garbage they'll never touch.

Hell if they had trams for $10 and snow+trams for $12 I'd happily buy trams. But I don't want to "vote with my wallet" for lazy pipe and garbage re-skinning. I was happy to throw money at afterdark because I wanted to just generally support CO and further expansions, but I'm really not liking the road they're going down for both the way they're packaging DLC and what I think is lazy not fun design choices.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I knew the bar the devs frequent so I could have a little chat about their concepts of what counts as fun gameplay.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think that they had an unexpectedly popular hit in a game they built off of the platform they developed to make a different game and there is no room for additional systems or complexity and so now we're getting cosmetic DLC. Nothing really wrong with it but it's hard to bolt on systems to an inherently pretty shallow game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ihmemies posted:

I wish I knew the bar the devs frequent so I could have a little chat about their concepts of what counts as fun gameplay.

*smashes bottle on counter*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bold Robot posted:

:negative:

Maybe we should be forced to lay gas pipes too, and fibre optic cable

Is there any way a water/sewage system could be made fun? I kinda feel like there's potential in it somewhere, but can't conjure up any ideas.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there any way a water/sewage system could be made fun? I kinda feel like there's potential in it somewhere, but can't conjure up any ideas.

Simulate some poo agents and watch the poo flow!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

As far as I can tell it's mainly for making poo dams.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Possibly, but you'd have to go to one extreme or the other, leaving half the customers irate and half happy rather than the current half-measure that makes everyone equally semi-annoyed.

If pipes had capacity that you had to deal with as your city expanded, then at least they'd have a purpose. Similarly, if disasters and actual city maintenance were a thing, then old and broken pipes could be another problem to solve, but both would be a lot of additional micro-management that many probably don't want to deal with. On the other hand, they could just as well work like electricity and auto-propagate to nearby buildings, but then you might as well ask why it's even there to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I have the feeling they have no idea what makes this game fun and will just bludgeon it's popularity to death with more and more DLCs which will bring nothing to the table except cash for them. They also don't seem to care to work any of the issues the game has out in something like a FREE patch. It's like they learned nothing from how paradox got successful.