Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
They ban for buying games via VPN because you can use that to exploit cheaper regional pricing. I've never heard of anyone being banned for unlocking a game they already purchased early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thank you Beagle for your XCOM2 Let's Play. I'm glad you're getting back to it. I almost forgive you for not finishing your LW Live & Impossible one like you said you would.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Pomp posted:

doesn't steam ban for VPN poo poo now

Not unless something has changed since November. If you try and buy it in a different region to save money that's one thing, but early unlocks are generally agreed to be safe.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

It's hard to understand what would be special about the DLC with such a supposedly robust modding kit, but I bought it anyway because I have no control.

It's inevitable that the DLC will become a hard requirement for whatever major mods crop up, particularly the extra aliens and class.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

kater posted:

It's hard to understand what would be special about the DLC with such a supposedly robust modding kit, but I bought it anyway because I have no control.

Mods are all going to be bigger tits and nudes, so the customisation dlc will still be useful.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
my mod will be a dominatrix class with big titties flapping around surrounded in leather.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 31, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Not unless something has changed since November. If you try and buy it in a different region to save money that's one thing, but early unlocks are generally agreed to be safe.

I have VPN unlocked almost ever major release recently and I haven't had issues. I don't see why they would give you issues for something you legitimately bought, they don't really give a drat

It would be like suing a store for breaking street date when a game is stolen from the distribution center.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

my mod will be a dominatrix class with big titties flapping around surrounded in leather.

But we already have Vipers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm suddenly wondering what controller support is like in this and EW. I know, KB+M uber alles but it IS turn based...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Controllers work ok in EW, but supposedly XCOM 2 isn't shipping with normal controller support.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ciaphas posted:

I'm suddenly wondering what controller support is like in this and EW. I know, KB+M uber alles but it IS turn based...

Controllers were fine for EW but I think that there isn't native support for Xcom 2, at least not now

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I don't know about you guys but I stayed in the dark for much of the hype and reveals so now that GMG has emailed the keys I'll be unfollowing this thread until I get my face stomped on Legendary a few times. Enjoy the game folks!

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have VPN unlocked almost ever major release recently and I haven't had issues. I don't see why they would give you issues for something you legitimately bought, they don't really give a drat

It would be like suing a store for breaking street date when a game is stolen from the distribution center.

Yeah I've done it a few times and I love it. Why wait any longer than you need to? I didn't expect to be able to unlock that early tomorrow though.

When I get back home today I'm digging up the posts from the 'VPN users are drug addicts' guy. He was precious.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jst0rm posted:

if I can't dress up Pectoids in a corset and some gently caress-me pumps by this time next week I don't even know what the world's coming to

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The idea of a renegade alien returning as another class is pretty neat, but I don't know if it'll happen. I don't know if Melding as we knew it before will return, at least, not in the DLC they've promised already. It looks like PCS Chips fill that role, by granting a soldier a semi-permanent but overwritable buff due to sticking a chip in their head. Only trouble is, you can only have one chip pers soldier! :argh:

One of the utility items Christopher Odd showed off is an armor underlay that gives you limited health regeneration, and another that sets enemies in melee range ON FIRE. That's pretty sweet.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

if I can't dress up Pectoids in a corset and some gently caress-me pumps by this time next week I don't even know what the world's coming to

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Hrm, preload 27 gigs at 2 mbps...

Maybe I should just wait for a boxed copy. Boxed copies will be on shelves on Friday, right?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cathode Raymond posted:

Maybe I should just wait for a boxed copy. Boxed copies will be on shelves on Friday, right?

1 mbps here :shepface: ... It'll get done when it gets done!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Boxed copies I believe only have a steam installer on the disc.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

JonTerp posted:

Are you serious? I genuinely have no idea. Been ages since I bought a computer game at a store.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

As inspired by the OP, there really does need to be a mod where the Pectoids become Swoletoids and the Pillar Men theme "Awaken" plays whenever their pod gets activated.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Anyone else here have a Steam Controller? I'm thinking about bringing it back out again for this, since I only play games now on my TV from my couch, and playing this with a touchpad seems like it would be awful. I stopped using the Steam Controller very quickly, so I'm wondering if people have been making good configurations for RTS games and the like, and how well they've been working.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Unfortunately for me,my parents are dragging me off to Edmonton on Friday. :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Interesting way they decided to handle the first game.

(Potential) spoilers below, as it's an inference of mine based on an early autopsy cutscene.

Looks like the first game is actually just a simulation that the aliens hooked you up to after they captured you. You, and everybody else's playthroughs of the game basically form the broad strategic and tactical decisions that the aliens made getting the world to the point where it is now.

It would be really cool to see remnants of EXALT make an appearance and aid XCOM somehow. Their stated agenda was to benefit from alien technology, not collaborate with them so they might have been equally hosed when the aliens rolled in and cleaned house. Then again, if what I said above is true, then maybe they're just programmed into the simulation to see how you would react to and deal with an insurgency?

Oh god, yessss. They went the Metal Gear Solid 2 route!??! AHAHAHAHAHA

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

QuantaStarFire posted:

But we already have Vipers.

coil me up and lick your snake tongue all over me please. I would amputate my limbs off for a chance for a snakelady to do this to me. please firaxis please make this a reality. I am begging you

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cathode Raymond posted:

It's only 30 hours, start now, finish right in time for unlock

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, even if I VPN the game it'll unlock when I'm at work. :suicide:

Bah, next 36 hours are gonna suck.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Slanderer posted:

Anyone else here have a Steam Controller? I'm thinking about bringing it back out again for this, since I only play games now on my TV from my couch, and playing this with a touchpad seems like it would be awful. I stopped using the Steam Controller very quickly, so I'm wondering if people have been making good configurations for RTS games and the like, and how well they've been working.

I plan on it, I liked it for civ so it should be fine for this, playing under a blanket on the couch. A guy a page or two back said there are already 3 official profiles, one for tactical, strategic, and ship.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pyromancer posted:

Yeah, mine says 1 day 5 hours left too :(

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Speedball posted:

The idea of a renegade alien returning as another class is pretty neat, but I don't know if it'll happen.

In the mediocre XCOM-inspired 'UFO After****[Math/Shock/Light]' series, both sequels were also set in alternate timelines where the aliens won the previous game. The first one was very XCOM-like, but with the addition of a goopy alien biomass that was spreading out to cover the globe and spawn horrible things. The second one had your faction based in a big flying alien carrier, that moved around over the globe and reclaimed territory after the alien biomass had reached 'maturity' and unleashed a psychic explosion that made all the aliens retarded and easy to overthrow. The third one featured a group of humans terraforming Mars after losing Earth to the bad stuff. They all three featured a very few sympathetic/renegade sectoids that joined your team, and mostly sucked compared to the top-tier armor you had late in the game.

It had some cool poo poo, like several different vision 'layers' (normal, thermal, X-ray, psionic) that different equipment gave your guys access to, and aliens were more or less visible that way. You could bring one psion, who could detect all other psionic aliens from a big distance through walls, and then have your whole squad chuck a bunch of grenades and rockets towards it. But it's pretty overwrought, and the second one especially is way too long and grindy for its own good, and I honestly wouldn't recommend any of them now that XCOM 2012 exists because it's loads better.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 3, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

iGestalt posted:

They made a cool little graph for unlock times.

9pm Thursday night. Good thing I don't have to be at work until 7am on Friday, this poo poo is going to be awesome.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elliotw2 posted:

Controllers work ok in EW, but supposedly XCOM 2 isn't shipping with normal controller support.

What the hell is keyboard+mouse not supported anymore?!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Pyromancer posted:

If no one hears from me for a day or two it's only cause I can't spare the bandwidth.

If no one hears from me at all this weekend it's only because I am playing XCOM2 leavemealone

If no one hears from me by this time next week, it means I forgot to eat/drink/sleep while playing and am now dead. Please note this on my tombstone but otherwise continue playing.

Good luck and Doornbless, Doornbless us every one :patriot:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

a cow posted:

What the hell is keyboard+mouse not supported anymore?!

Nope, you control the game only via psionic abilities now, no physical controllers needed!

It's only keyboard+mouse, no X-Box controllers.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pectoids are the new waifus :bigtran:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

The idea of a renegade alien returning as another class is pretty neat, but I don't know if it'll happen. I don't know if Melding as we knew it before will return, at least, not in the DLC they've promised already. It looks like PCS Chips fill that role, by granting a soldier a semi-permanent but overwritable buff due to sticking a chip in their head. Only trouble is, you can only have one chip pers soldier! :argh:

... I wonder if it'd be possible to have PCS chips that add perks and not stats? :aaaaa:

JonTerp posted:

Is that a reference to the debacle that was boxed PC MGS5? :allears:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 31, 2022

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thyrork posted:

... I wonder if it'd be possible to have PCS chips that add perks and not stats? :aaaaa:

Is that a reference to the debacle that was boxed PC MGS5? :allears:

No thats how most games that use steam now come. They come with a steam installer and then have you download the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone having issues with their GMG codes? Mine gets bounced by steam.