Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I would be shocked if it isn't madness.

It also coincides with the theory that Emrakul is in Innistrad, since madness is a prevalent theme in Cthulu fiction. I really feel like this time around Innistrad will be both Gothic Horror and Cosmic horror, and I am quite ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The important question is if we're going to get candy for FNM again.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pontius Pilate posted:

I know you are not maro (or?) but how is flanking specific to horses or culturally specific like those other two? Pretty general tactical and strategic concept there.

Look at all of the cards that have flanking on them. They're all cavalry/horse cards.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I imagine the mechanics for SoI will end up looking like:

-Transform
-Madness
-New threshold variant
-Undying
-Comedy Miracles option
-1 or 2 other new mechanics

I don't see them bringing flashback back again simply because there won't be room if they're already bringing back mechanics that were introduced in the original INN block.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They are actually kind of bringing back Champion decks on MTGO. Six tickets gets you 3 rounds of swiss playing a random "high finishing" deck from the PT. Of course, you don't get to keep the cards and the EV is poo poo. I would play this if they did it for Legacy and Vintage, but they won't because while handing Joe Newbie something like Ad Nauseam Tendrils would be interesting, it would probably cause a lot of complaints.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

I would be shocked if it isn't madness.

It also coincides with the theory that Emrakul is in Innistrad, since madness is a prevalent theme in Cthulu fiction. I really feel like this time around Innistrad will be both Gothic Horror and Cosmic horror, and I am quite ok with that.

I'm almost sure it is Madness, but I wonder if they will update its rules or the way it works. It's a little clunk, but I don't think in practice its actually that clunky. What is clunky is the way it works on MTGO, not anywhere else.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

whydirt posted:

I imagine the mechanics for SoI will end up looking like:

-Transform
-Madness
-New threshold variant
-Undying
-Comedy Miracles option
-1 or 2 other new mechanics

I don't see them bringing flashback back again simply because there won't be room if they're already bringing back mechanics that were introduced in the original INN block.

Yeah, I would be surprised if flashback makes a return, though I can hope.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Morph was also clunky ruleswise and they had no problem bringing that back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of the original block's mechanics:
-DFCs pretty much have to come back, but they'll use a different flip trigger than the werewolf ones did.
-Flashback could come back and people would like it. It kind of plays interestingly against Processing, if a Wasteland Strangler deck is a thing.
-Morbid could come back and no one would be that excited or displeased.
-Undying: see morbid
-Miracles: too much of a some-loved-it-some-hated-it thing to be good to bring back and I get the sense the developers don't actually like it much.
-Soulbond: probably not. It was OK, but they don't want to remind people of the awful Limited environment of AVR.
-Fateful Hour: be honest, you completely forgot this mechanic existed.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Skyl3lazer posted:

Look at all of the cards that have flanking on them. They're all cavalry/horse cards.

Ah, that seems like a really minor issue if they wanted it back. Plus it'll be entertaining to read the couple grogs freaking out about how all the originals had horses and now some of the new ones don't!!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm almost sure it is Madness, but I wonder if they will update its rules or the way it works. It's a little clunk, but I don't think in practice its actually that clunky. What is clunky is the way it works on MTGO, not anywhere else.

How so, like removing the exile clause? I don't know how you would do that, you kind of need it to be in a zone in order to cast it. I think madness is fine, as most of the actual complexity doesn't come up 99% of the time, and when it does, it is only because two high level players are trying to exploit edge cases.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DigitalMocking posted:

don't people who buy/use proxy cards get shunned usually if you go to FNM or something?

If by shunned you mean DQed for bringing fake cards to a sanctioned event yes they do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Literally The Worst posted:

If by shunned you mean DQed for bringing fake cards to a sanctioned event yes they do

Who does't get deck checks at fnm?

If I can't stop play to check the validity of my opponents fetch land I don't want to play magic.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Madness Flashback and Threshhold would be a really cool mechanics to return. DFC are almost certainly returning. It would be cool if they elect to bring back persist and -1/-1 counters matters stuff but if they do it'll just be undying.

E: Vampire & madness RB :black101:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Entropic posted:

-Flashback could come back and people would like it. It kind of plays interestingly against Processing, if a Wasteland Strangler deck is a thing.

I can easily see Flashback coming back simply because it's an easy-to-understand graveyard-matters mechanic with practically infinite design space.

I hadn't considered the interaction with processing though, and that makes it really interesting. Suddenly flashing back spells turns on your opponent's processors, but at the same time, if they process those cards they're letting you flash them back again. Could lead to some really interesting game states.

On the other hand, any instant-speed processing has a really unintuitive interaction with Madness if you're not intimately familiar with how it works. There's a window where the exiled Madness card can be processed, preventing you from casting it, but you'd never know that based on the reminder text definition of "you can cast this when you discard it."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Miracles is returning as prayer, where you get to miracle the card but the original cost is lower / miracle cost is higher but you can return the card from your yard to the top of the deck so its basically a "fixed" dredge where you can basically spend 1R every turn to be drawing/casting a shock for 1R forever that costs 2R from your hand.

The discard spell is 2b for one card but its an instant and miracles for 1b and doesn't target but you can still loop it to lock people out of non instants if their hand is empty because they wanted to push it for modern esper and legacy pox

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They probably don't want snapcaster and Lili in standard, but I don't see why they couldn't just put them in packs ala expeditions.

Pick 5-10 greatest hits from the original block and you've got a reason for people to crack even more packs then BFZ. Won't help prices pretty much at all, but oh well.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Oh and morbid is back but there's a bunch of "sac this guy :spell ability" cards to enable it. Some of these guys include a white enchantment creature that's a guardian angel that regens target creature and a artifact golem that sacs to draw a card to enable the "type threshold" mechanic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pontius Pilate posted:

I know you are not maro (or?) but how is flanking specific to horses or culturally specific like those other two? Pretty general tactical and strategic concept there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

Who does't get deck checks at fnm?

If I can't stop play to check the validity of my opponents fetch land I don't want to play magic.

We had a dude last week bring photocopies. Never underestimate how stupid people are

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We had a dude last week bring photocopies. Never underestimate how stupid people are

I don't believe you.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Seriously I have an uncle who works at wotc this is what he told me

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oh yeah I forgot about morbid! I'd be okay with it coming back for sure. I'd bet though that we'll either see it or undying come back but not both.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't believe you.

It was so stupid you photocopied the post

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was so stupid you photocopied the post

This isn't a photocopy of my rear end, its a scalding tarn. Idiot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kalli posted:

They probably don't want snapcaster and Lili in standard, but I don't see why they couldn't just put them in packs ala expeditions.

Pick 5-10 greatest hits from the original block and you've got a reason for people to crack even more packs then BFZ. Won't help prices pretty much at all, but oh well.

Making Yu-gi-oh style ultra-secret double invisble rarities a permanent thing, oh boy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

Making Yu-gi-oh style ultra-secret double invisble rarities a permanent thing, oh boy.

Making them alt versions of the set's Mythics + 1/2 chase rares + 1/2 old rares would be a good thing for Magic, IMO

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I could see someone new to the game who just wants to build a fun deck not quite grasping that "officially sanctioned" tournaments are actually a thing let alone that there's rules the store has to enforce on how to run them.

If it was someone trying to actually fool people with photocopied cards then yeah, that's dumb.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

Considering that these make the set cards cheaper is a win win for everyone.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

One nice thing if madness does return is that I bet they'll match the flavor to the mechanic a lot better. Basking Rootwalla is sweet but has nothing that ties to insanity or being discarded at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

I don't believe you.

I work at a card shop running tournaments. This is an actual thing. The guys excuse was first that he had the cards in another deck and didn't want to switch them out, and then that he didn't know FNM was sanctioned. This is the hell that I escaped from and chose to go back to

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe just let them play with the proxy cards - problem solved?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

As long as cards don't get locked to that rarity it does nothing but make singles cheaper as far as I can see

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Horse posted:

Whats this now

Buy an Aggro Infect because it's fallen out of the meta, but is still standard legal, you can kill T4

Cheap competitive decks are pretty easy to buy, it's just that you'll always want or need something. Like I want 4 inkmoths in my deck, but I'm not going to pay $40 / 50 TiX for it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We had a guy show up to vintage fnm with the online power art ha-ha.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as cards don't get locked to that rarity it does nothing but make singles cheaper as far as I can see

Somehow YGO and FOW both manage to appease both collectors and players alike by having cheap starter deck reprints of useful cards and super ultra rare versions, but MTG can't seem to do this. :iiam:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Turtlicious posted:

Infect ... still standard legal

explain further.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Just because it will be funny, what did he try to pass with photocopies? Please let it be some $0.50 giant green creature.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

We had a guy show up to vintage fnm with the online power art ha-ha.

You have enough people with real power to run a Vintage FNM? You need 8 people to sanction you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just because it will be funny, what did he try to pass with photocopies? Please let it be some $0.50 giant green creature.

• Locked thread