Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

E: I especially don't care if I'm playing a republic and all I want is unlanded male dynasty members.

oh yeah lol. I will catch my wife sleeping with a man, then get an event saying she's pregnant, but I was away. shut up, i trust her word, next. my last game I had a somali character with a somali wife and a legitimate bedouin son. don't care, still counts as a male courtier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yes

A coalition member can start a war which is separate from the coalition though and can get a chance to get other coalition members to join (Which is really rare, I've never seen the AI do it except in very specific test cases) But this is with normal CB's and the normal mechanics just as if you didn't have a coalition.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'm perhaps in the minority, but I love Conclave. I'm always a slow-going player in terms of expansion, and I love the internal politics game.

Granted, this is after only an evening's play, so I may find more to dislike as I go. But so far, no complaints only praise.

Edit: My only real complaint remains the de jure situation in France. At least at the 1066+ bookmarks, please make remove the de jure kingdom of Aquitaine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bloodly posted:

A disturbingly sick horse, all things considered. Why's his/her health in the crapper? Weren't you treating him/her right?

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness.

Ruddha posted:

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying.

Ruddha posted:

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

Ruddha posted:

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Groogy posted:

Coalitions don't trigger wars, they are defensive. We have been saying this over and over and over and over again. And over again.

Yeah I came back in here when Conclave dropped so I never saw this, and I don't touch the paradox forums because I'm content seeing the hilarious stuff talked about in here. Like I said, I'm pretty casual with this game, sorry. I prefer to just play the game and figure out the finer points as I go rather than read all the release details and all that. I wasn't complaining about the mechanics man, I just thought they'd trigger a punitive war to check the target's continued aggression.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 3, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No need for apologies or explain yourself. I am in "Stamp out false rumors" mode.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Groogy posted:

No need for apologies or explain yourself. I am in "Stamp out false rumors" mode.

Glad to hear it, came across kinda snarky is all. I was hoping I wasn't pissing you off like some of the pdox forums ragers lol.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The amount of factions popping up is really kind of annoying. I guess with councils and coalitions the game is more in internal dynamics dynamics now but when guys like 60 points and they're joining factions in large numbers I'm a little peeved.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

McGavin posted:

quote:

Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies

Can I put a fedora on a horse

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Goofballs posted:

The amount of factions popping up is really kind of annoying. I guess with councils and coalitions the game is more in internal dynamics dynamics now but when guys like 60 points and they're joining factions in large numbers I'm a little peeved.

I'm finding the opposite in my current Venice game. I abolished the council's powers right out of the gate and it's taking pretty much zero effort to keep a faction from forming. I'm murdering patricians left and right around election time and only barely keeping them in the green opinion range with honorary titles and poo poo, yet nobody has started a faction to push for the council to get some more power. I figured a republic would be a nice easy intro to conclave mechanics but I'm surprised I'm not having any factions form to grant the council more power.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

They definitely do now, I've had the AI refuse to honor a couple great betrothals, which is horseshit because I have to eat the rear end in a top hat points for cancelling it.

If the AI is allowed to back out of betrothals, then you should be able to send a marriage request they won't agree to, because they're the ones breaking the betrothal, not me.
It's ruined one game already, so I am irate.

On the other hand, there may be a workaround by using favours, but it is very lovely that the AI goes all Darth Vader on poo poo at the very end.

On the gripping hand, you can now use favours to force cross-religious marriages? Hot diggidy!

Grrrroooogggyyy

did you make sure we couldn't land horses? and that if we did, we couldn't play them and then have "horse" culture on the counties

because if not...

:getin:

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
The amount of tears on the Ck2 subreddit is delicious. I think that's where the HRE claims Byzantine whining that Groogy is referring to came from.

Only compliments from me about the expansion at this point. Though I've not played much; had two characters die in a row from illness in their early twenties, poof no heirs. :(

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Speaking of favors, they don't seem to have much impact on the Papacy. I had a brother in line to become the next pope, so I buttered up his opinion and bought a favor before he became the Pope. Granted, I have a -30 malus for hearing the voice of Jesus, but his opinion was 68 and he told me to gently caress off when I requested money, favor never played into it. I've no doubt this is working as intended, but I am a little surprised papal favors don't extend to things like money requests. Oh well. I was just hoping it'd be like another time I got a family member into the papacy with good positive opinion and pillaged a good chunk of money from the papal coffers lol.

I'm hoping papal favors will be more useful when the crusades and poo poo start up, or when I want a bishop nominated for cardinal. Oh hey maybe it'll come in handy for seizing egypt and thus the silk road port in alexandria I want, need to read up some on favors I think.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm finding the opposite in my current Venice game. I abolished the council's powers right out of the gate and it's taking pretty much zero effort to keep a faction from forming. I'm murdering patricians left and right around election time and only barely keeping them in the green opinion range with honorary titles and poo poo, yet nobody has started a faction to push for the council to get some more power. I figured a republic would be a nice easy intro to conclave mechanics but I'm surprised I'm not having any factions form to grant the council more power.

769 west france was less kind, you start with several dukes who have the hate you trait though.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Tercio posted:

I'm perhaps in the minority, but I love Conclave. I'm always a slow-going player in terms of expansion, and I love the internal politics game.

Granted, this is after only an evening's play, so I may find more to dislike as I go. But so far, no complaints only praise.

Edit: My only real complaint remains the de jure situation in France. At least at the 1066+ bookmarks, please make remove the de jure kingdom of Aquitaine.

Yeah, first impressions are definitely very positive. More involved internal politics and more powerful vassals makes me excited to fire up CK2 again.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Grrrroooogggyyy

did you make sure we couldn't land horses? and that if we did, we couldn't play them and then have "horse" culture on the counties

because if not...

:getin:

I did.
QA kept ruining our office MP by designing a ruler with horse culture and spread their horse DNA to everyone so eventually everyone was just simply horses in the game...
Usually I am loads of fun but if QA can do that, then the AI will do the same. (The AI loves Glitterhoof so would definitely land him and then the game is ruined for people who don't like fun)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Goofballs posted:

769 west france was less kind, you start with several dukes who have the hate you trait though.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. I'm betting the Byzantines are a similar nightmare.

Groogy posted:

QA kept ruining our office MP by designing a ruler with horse culture and spread their horse DNA to everyone so eventually everyone was just simply horses in the game...

:stare:

E: Crusader Kings II: Whiskey for my nobles, beer for my Horse vassals

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 3, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Feature request: Can there be a "find only characters within diplo range" checkbox or something on the character finder?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Quick question about councillors and factions.

If the council mood is content, I'm under the impression that councillors cannot create or join factions.

However, I thought I saw in game malcontent councillors joining factions even when the overall mood was content. I could easily be mistaken, since they're all the red-bearded Jarl Fuckface of Unpronouncable, so it's quite possible I'm mixing up who's on the council or not.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol one of my councilors keeps quitting the council when me and him get in our monthly carousing fight event

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If the council mood is content, I'm under the impression that councillors cannot create or join factions.

However, I thought I saw in game malcontent councillors joining factions even when the overall mood was content. I could easily be mistaken, since they're all the red-bearded Jarl Fuckface of Unpronouncable, so it's quite possible I'm mixing up who's on the council or not.

Turns out content councilors are only prevented from joining factions if you allow them to vote on your wars. I have no idea why it's tied to that specific law, but there you have it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Quiz time!

I started as the Duke of Anjou in 867 and swiftly conquered Brittany, because Brittany is always a hilarious clusterfuck of revolts and counter-revolts and counter-counter-revolts, it's just what they do. King Charlie of course immediately took the opportunity to create the Kingdom of Brittany (Breitagne, whatever). Both that and West Francia are on Gavelkind. So I got to thinking: what exactly the hell happens when he dies? Anjou's my primary title but half my land is now in Brittany. Charlie's my liege so presumably his older son will remain my liege when he gets West Francia. The younger son, however, will be king of Brittany, except that all 6 of Brittany's counties are mine and thus, presumably, will remain in East Francia's realm. So what will happen?

I tested it and the answer is: The younger son gets one random county (La Marche) and the kingdom of Brittany title, which is destroyed when the older son immediately conquers the one county back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CK2 Trait files posted:

can_hold_titles = no # Hopefully this will block Glitterhoof from becoming pope again

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ahahaha

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I love the new favours system as a concept, but I've not really seen much use for it beyond shenanigans in the council chamber. It's a great idea with so much potential, but it's vanishingly rare for anyone to ask me for a favour, come to cash one in or to offer me one autonomously. The AI doesn't seem aware that favours exist and nor do most of the more useful pre-existing diplomatic interactions make use of it. Most egregiously, this includes "invite to plot" which may as well not exist now that getting people on board with your plots through bribery seems next to impossible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eric the Mauve posted:

I tested it and the answer is: The younger son gets one random county (La Marche) and the kingdom of Brittany title, which is destroyed when the older son immediately conquers the one county back.
Did he then recreate the kingdom and begin the cycle again?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm gonna mod that line out and create a whole event chain for "The Equine Papacy".

All hail the Horsepope!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Friendship is witchcraft :colbert:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

What is being hollered when I enforce realm peace?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Feature request: Can there be a "find only characters within diplo range" checkbox or something on the character finder?

Yes please.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

What the hell happened during testing?

And why didn't you take screenshots?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am very sad that this game's performance is still trash, because the new features are actually pretty neato. It would be really nice if sieges didn't take eons though, especially with shattered retreat making decisive battles more difficult to attain.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What the hell happened during testing?

And why didn't you take screenshots?

I wasn't testing if that's what you mean, that's the actual game files.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

shattered retreat is bad and makes the game very unfun

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So when you are on a council there is a tooltip message which says "the council is allowed to initiate voting for this type of law" - how do you initiate a vote? On my screen the option is greyed out, Is that because the council was formed a few years back?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Megadyptes posted:

shattered retreat is bad and makes the game very unfun

I mostly hate the weird places it sends your armies. Making sure you have more than one battle per war is great tho.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I wasn't testing if that's what you mean, that's the actual game files.

I know; I was directing that more towards the devs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i had an adventurer declare on my for brittany and after i shattered him up he just took 1k troops and left?

i dont know where he went but he doesnt seem to be coming back and im just waiting for this ticking warscore

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's kind of hidden away in a tooltip somewhere, but councillors can still join factions regardless of laws or contentedness if you are tribal or nomadic. I'm assuming from the Jarl fuckface of whatever comment that you're probably the former, so that's why. There might be some specifics I'm forgetting (it might be tied to tribal organization and whether you're unreformed pagan as well, I don't remember), but in any case you'll see that happen until you switch to Feudal/Republic government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's kind of hidden away in a tooltip somewhere, but councillors can still join factions regardless of laws or contentedness if you are tribal or nomadic. I'm assuming from the Jarl fuckface of whatever comment that you're probably the former, so that's why. There might be some specifics I'm forgetting (it might be tied to tribal organization and whether you're unreformed pagan as well, I don't remember), but in any case you'll see that happen until you switch to Feudal/Republic government.

That makes sense. I thought I read somewhere that tribal and nomads ignored some of the council mechanics. I'm reformed pagan, and most of my trouble councillors are not, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference, probably just the government type.

I think I like the shattered retreat army mechanics. I had a 250% revolt going on, and my large levies got hit pretty hard by rebels and I lost the first encounter pretty decisively. Between the lower losses, and having them retreat through a couple counties, I managed to get my allies and the rest of my levies merged to fight back properly. While on the offensive it takes a little more care to hunt them down, but it was still easy enough to outsmart the AI each time.

• Locked thread