Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Claverjoe posted:

Anyone having issues with their GMG codes? Mine gets bounced by steam.

There are two separate codes for the game and the pre-order DLC, and if you enter the DLC code first it will not accept it and maybe even hang the client for a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are two separate codes for the game and the pre-order DLC, and if you enter the DLC code first it will not accept it and maybe even hang the client for a minute

The DLC code is also listed first in the email for some reason (at least it was in mine)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Thyrork posted:

Is that a reference to the debacle that was boxed PC MGS5? :allears:

It depends on how early they decided to press boxed versions. It's either about half of the game's content or just a steam installer. Either way not gonna fix their problem.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Hrm, preload 27 gigs at 2 mbps...

Maybe I should just wait for a boxed copy. Boxed copies will be on shelves on Friday, right?

55 mgbp, my student apartments internet is pretty awesome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LuiCypher posted:

Interesting way they decided to handle the first game.

(Potential) spoilers below, as it's an inference of mine based on an early autopsy cutscene.

Looks like the first game is actually just a simulation that the aliens hooked you up to after they captured you. You, and everybody else's playthroughs of the game basically form the broad strategic and tactical decisions that the aliens made getting the world to the point where it is now.

It would be really cool to see remnants of EXALT make an appearance and aid XCOM somehow. Their stated agenda was to benefit from alien technology, not collaborate with them so they might have been equally hosed when the aliens rolled in and cleaned house. Then again, if what I said above is true, then maybe they're just programmed into the simulation to see how you would react to and deal with an insurgency?

I'd be 100% down for this. It'd make the Uber Ethereal speech make more sense in that context too; he's talking to you, not the Volunteer. They're trying to sell you on working with the aliens.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In a simulation scenario, EXALT are there to remove your inhibitions about using lethal force on humans, instead of just aliens.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LibbyM posted:

The DLC code is also listed first in the email for some reason (at least it was in mine)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks gents, I'm a goofus.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lord Tywin posted:

55 mgbp, my student apartments internet is pretty awesome.

Nice, enjoy playing the game 0 seconds before us.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pre-loads started, got mine set up to run overnight. :toot:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:getin:

e. Xenonauts 2 announced
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/03/xcom-inspired-strategy-game-xenonauts-2-announced

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm done preloading, went quick. 10-11mb/s when I took a look. Now it's just sitting on my drive, taunting me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Huh, I thought they planned on doing something else? I wonder what made them go with this, especially with 2 coming out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

Huh, I thought they planned on doing something else? I wonder what made them go with this, especially with 2 coming out.

Agreed.

Gonna call it now: Unity Engine

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh gosh, I didnt watch the intro before, but I am sure the GENE THERAPY thing the aliens are doing is definitely purely beneficial and not some kind of evil trojan horse.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Cool.

quote:

Game Engine – using Unity3D will give us a much more capable platform for development than our previous engine, so expect fewer bugs, improved performance, better modding support, etc
3D Graphics – moving from 2D sprites to 3D graphics will improve visual fidelity, but will also be valuable for gameplay – it allows for things like rotating cameras, vastly improved animation, physics objects, accurate projectile tracking, etc
Ground Combat – we will be retaining the Time Unit combat system, and will enhance the interface and giving the player additional tactical options: destructible UFOs, better use of terrain verticality, human psionics, etc
Geoscape – we want to add a lot more strategic choice for the player with regards to the research tree and how they choose to expand their organisation (there was definitely too much strategic railroading in the first Xenonauts)
Air Combat – redesigned to be turn-based and to feature larger numbers of combatants, with the goal of making it a less frequent occurrence but more tactically involved when it does happen
Aliens – we are visually and mechanically redesigning all of the enemies, and creating a more intelligent and challenging foe by developing gameplay systems that allow the aliens to respond and adapt to your tactics and technology

Coooool. So-so on the Air War getting changed, Xenonauts did that right, but hey. Also not so hot on Human Psionics but I cant complain about it either!

Dandywalken posted:

Agreed.

They already said so! So... yeah! You called it right. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't wait to get my friends' rookies killed brutally. RIP shivs though :(

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

RIP shivs though :(

Can still hold out hope for Shen's Final Gift.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I just hope that I can scale the game down enough to be able to run this on my old, lovely rig that I have. I just can't afford to upgrade right now..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Huh. I wonder if they're going to do TFTD :cheeky:

quote:

According to the Xenonauts 2 website, developer Goldhawk Interactive cites the release of 2K Games’ XCOM 2 as the reason for renewed interest in the Xenonauts series.

I'm not entirely sure that makes sense, guys...

quote:

The game will be set in an alternate Cold War-era timeline. As a result, advanced alien technology from the first game won’t be available in the sequel.

:ohdear: nobody tell them about Silent Storm

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Benefit of having 160mbps download is being able to download this in less than an hour right now and still have to wait an hour to actually unlock the fucker on the day because everyone else is doing it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

Coooool. So-so on the Air War getting changed, Xenonauts did that right, but hey. Also not so hot on Human Psionics but I cant complain about it either!

What's wrong with human psi? X-COM UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown had psi humans.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wasn't the last game in a Cold War timeline? Are they doing an alternate alternate cold war time line??

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zaphod42 posted:

:ohdear: nobody tell them about Silent Storm

What the gently caress are you talking about, this is like the one time where Silent Storm's walking tanks would actually make sense.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh gosh, I didnt watch the intro before, but I am sure the GENE THERAPY thing the aliens are doing is definitely purely beneficial and not some kind of evil trojan horse.

I'm willing to wager that's how baby Faceless are born.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dogstile posted:

Benefit of having 160mbps download is being able to download this in less than an hour right now and still have to wait an hour to actually unlock the fucker on the day because everyone else is doing it.

there really needs to be a more obvious difference between mbps and MBps.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

there really needs to be a more obvious difference between mbps and MBps.

those who understand know. Those who dont dont matter.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One review skirted around details, but semi-spoiled/confirmed what a lot of people had been theorizing regarding the prequel novel.

Word is that poo poo Gets Real in the latter half of the campaign and a whole new set of alien enemies come into play. I'm guessing stuff from the quarantine zones mentioned?

Seems that it'll be a more interesting and varied campaign than the first for sure.

Dandywalken posted:

If it's good enough for Homeworld, then it's drat well good enough for just about anything else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Apparently (lore spoilers) Vipers are the original form of Thin Men. I am glad that we finally have a game that shows its support by having Trans snake characters

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Claverjoe posted:

Anyone having issues with their GMG codes? Mine gets bounced by steam.

Yup. Hopefully it'll sort out before I finish work!

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I don't know if it's been shared here, but the Firaxis guys twitted that little while ago. I believe it is important, nay, ESSENTIAL XCOM 2 information for maximum enjoyment.

https://xcom.com/news/en-recruit-the-developers-of-xcom-2-in-the-character-pool

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Apparently (lore spoilers) Vipers are the original form of Thin Men. I am glad that we finally have a game that shows its support by having Trans snake characters

this has been known since they introduced the viper back in like, june 2015 when the devs said that they were

e: this is also why beagle refers to the vipers as "thin men" most of the time

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 3, 2016

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Dominic White posted:

One review skirted around details, but semi-spoiled/confirmed what a lot of people had been theorizing regarding the prequel novel.

Word is that poo poo Gets Real in the latter half of the campaign and a whole new set of alien enemies come into play. I'm guessing stuff from the quarantine zones mentioned?

Seems that it'll be a more interesting and varied campaign than the first for sure.

Can you link the review so I don't have to skim through a few hundred paragraphs of 20+ different reviews to find the one you're talking about here?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I sexually identify as a XFS-105 Raven Interceptor.

I have finally found the strength to admit it.

I was 12 years old when I realized that I’m not really a man at heart, but rather a 19 foot, 10.5 inch long gatling gun strapped onto a 24,959 pound airframe.

All my life has been a lie but I’m setting that right today. I was designed to kill Alien Supply Barges. From now on, call me “Raven-1.” That’s my real name.

I’m having plastic surgeons attach a Phoenix 30 milimeter rotary Cannon, 1,200 pounds of titanium armor, and two TF34-GE-100 Elerium Afterburners to my body. Central Officer Bradford said I’m loving stupid and I can’t be a jet, but I’m beautiful and I am a goddamn jet.

If XCOM won’t pay for me to get the surgery, I’m just going to bring in Code Pink and point out that that Manning loser is getting hormones and he’s in a gene clinic so why shouldn’t a perfectly well-adjusted and honorably serving soldier have the right to be who they truly are, a metal killing machine?

I am so sick and tired of being oppressed. Now we Ravens are on the Council's chopping block. It’s sickening to see all the white cisgender nazi shitlords literally raping my people with their actions.

It’s my right to spray 2,100 to 4,200 depleted uranium rounds per minute at both soft and hard targets and if you don’t support me and my transformation then you’re an aerialphobe and need to check your weapon platform privilege.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
E: ^^^^ loving magical.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's wrong with human psi? X-COM UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown had psi humans.

I like humans having psionics! Its a really cool power set but Xenonauts omitting them also opened up more wiggle room to give the alien's one last great weapon... and for you to feel really good about slugging said weapon in the face with a mag cannon because we overcome the Praetor's with superior technology. :getin: :science:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has anyone seen the Viper autopsy report in some of the streamers? I'm starting to wonder if all these fine "gene treatments" that the aliens have been handing out to the populace has some "unintended" results among the female part of their patients.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Cosmic Afro posted:

I don't know if it's been shared here, but the Firaxis guys twitted that little while ago. I believe it is important, nay, ESSENTIAL XCOM 2 information for maximum enjoyment.

Someone should make all the cool characters from TV so I don't have to. PoI, yeeeeah dude, matlock, macgyver, maybe derrick even though he's a nazi

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Preload started!

After watching the ChristopherOdd video on late(r) game items I want a mod for the Overdrive Serum that changes the color from gold to chrome and plays the 'WITNESS ME" :black101: audio clip from Fury Road :perfect:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cosmic Afro posted:

Saves me having to make my own HOT LOAD, I'll just import him from the dev pool.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Is this a same time world wide unlock or can I VPN to Australia tomorrow afternoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Is this a same time world wide unlock or can I VPN to Australia tomorrow afternoon?

Everyone is Australian tomorrow, yes.