Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Doesn't Octavia Butler also have tons of rapey BDSM stuff in her books?

I'm not judging, that's just what I heard. Sounds like something I'd like to miss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Well, I would love to see this become full on badthread V.2 Patty deserves it and since a new book is not coming out anytime soon what else is there to do? I mean, is that poo poo BananaNutkins posted really from him? Even if it’s not it could be and that is bad enough.

I liked the first book well enough and wanted to like the second, but the fairy sex / ninja poo poo was unforgivable. Looking forward to the third book. Will it be a salvation or train wreck? Not ever going to give the Slow regard a chance.

But to stop the threadshitting, I’ll put in a vote for Joe Abercrombie's “Best Served Cold” and “Red Country” Both have wonderful female leads and super fun to read, good fantasy, and don’t take themselves too seriously.

I did not like Red Country that much on the first read but listened to all the audiobooks again last year and fell in love with Red Country (Steven Pacey is the poo poo, best narrator ever, some stupid copyright / trademark / contract BS prevented me from getting Best Served Cold and The Hero's narrated by him only available in the UK. Lame). Love the First Law trilogy as well but no strong females and Joe has become a better writer as time passes. Bonus points for Joe A. he actually writes books! Even with a busy video game / convention schedule...

I read one story by Dan Simmons, The Terror, and quite liked it. Is Hyperion any good?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Earwicker posted:

This is a rather weak and tired excuse for the overall pattern, however. Fantasy is fantasy - medieval Europe did not have any dragons, there were no dwarf civilizations inside of mountains, no elf cities in the forests, no demons, no armies of undead.. yet fantasy readers accept all of these things readily. But for some reason whenever criticisms of gender roles are made wrt fantasy novels this silly nonsense about "history" comes up even though most fantasy novels have nothing to do with actual history or real medieval societies whatsoever.

I mean if fantasy cultures are really taking their "social basis in medieval Europe", then why aren't the majority of the populations and characters in these books Christian? Christianity was the major force defining medieval European society, including the gender roles which were religiously justified and enforced specifically in that context. It's a little disturbing that so many fantasy authors just want to portray a fantastic world in which women are treated like poo poo but seem to have zero awareness of the actual historical context behind why medieval European society was what it was.

A huge number of fantasy novels rip off either christian monotheism or the older roman pantheon of gods. They don't call them Christians or Romans because that would be dumb.

But this is kind of what I am talking about. You're willing to read very deeply into a story to call it misogynistic, but you're going to say medieval Christianity isn't influencing a ton of narratives? That's ridiculous.

What I think is actually happening here is that your reason for reading fantasy/scifi and the authors reason for writing it are different. And that's fine. Read some Octavia Butler or N. K. Jemisin when you get tired of white male heroes. But if a chick or dude just wants to tell a story about dragons + medieval times and she/he doesn't alter the social order, that doesn't make her/him a sexist poo poo bag.

Finally, this is all only in the defense of the authors i listed. There are certainly a bunch of prejudice fuckers out there.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HIJK posted:

Doesn't Octavia Butler also have tons of rapey BDSM stuff in her books?

I'm not judging, that's just what I heard. Sounds like something I'd like to miss...

There's sexual relationships that are...uncomfortable....in a couple of her books, but for those scenes the discomfort was part of the point and went with the theme/characterization in the novel. None of it came off as meant to titillate, or even really explicit, unless is one of the few books of hers I haven't read.

Perhaps you are thinking of Hamilton?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

But if a chick or dude just wants to tell a story about dragons + medieval times and she/he doesn't alter the social order, that doesn't make her/him a sexist poo poo bag.

I never said it did. I have not referred to any authors as a "sexist poo poo bag" nor have I "read very deeply into a story to call it misogynistic". I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to there.

What I am talking about is an overall pattern in which a majority of fantasy novels have very little to do with actual accurate history (and a fantasy religion that vaguely has the trappings of Christianity isn't really the same thing) and yet the idea of "historical accuracy" is raised time and time again whenever any criticism of gender roles in fantasy novels is made. I just find it ridiculous because the vast majority of fantasy I've encountered has nothing whatsoever to do with historical accuracy.

Fantasy worlds are by definition fantastic and involve all manner of things that are not only non-historical, but are physically impossible.. if you can bend reality so far as to have dragons and zombies and floating castles, then it shouldn't be hard to bend reality so far as to have a world in which the social order is different and in which women are more than background or prizes.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Earwicker posted:

This is a rather weak and tired excuse for the overall pattern, however. Fantasy is fantasy - medieval Europe did not have any dragons, there were no dwarf civilizations inside of mountains, no elf cities in the forests, no demons, no armies of undead.. yet fantasy readers accept all of these things readily. But for some reason whenever criticisms of gender roles are made wrt fantasy novels this silly nonsense about "history" comes up even though most fantasy novels have nothing to do with actual history or real medieval societies whatsoever.

Well you see, actually it's about ethics in videogame journalism historical accuracy to medieval Europe!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I never said it did. I have not referred to any authors as a "sexist poo poo bag" nor have I "read very deeply into a story to call it misogynistic". I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to there.

I mentally combined you and HELLO LADIES into the same forum poster. Sorry!

Also, don't expect every story to be about social equality? If you do, you gonna be let down. That's the TLDR of what I'm trying to say.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Benson Cunningham posted:

I kind of hate Octavia Butler. Liz Williams is fine. Shariann Lewitt I've never read. Candace Jane Dorsey I didn't find exceptional. I've actually never heard of Tanith Lee, is she known state side? Jane Yolen I haven't read.

I won't deny some authors, possibly a number of male, white Americans, exhibit misogynistic undertones in their writing. But its also pretty easy to read them into stories when they aren't there, or to arbitrarily decide that something was unintentional rather than a reflection of the world in which the story is told. And this here might blow your god drat mind, a book can be racist, misogynistic, sexist, bigoted, or otherwise and still be an interesting book. Likewise, a book could contain conversations only between trans women and be garbage.

Did you actually read what I posted, or just responded to the fact that it was critical of you? I mean, I kind of hate Octavia Butler too, but she's as good on the literary merits as many of the dudes on your list. Likewise, I'm not quibbling with your inclusion of Martin, even though as discussed ad nausea, ASOIAF depicts a ton of brutal misogyny.

I'm going to go ahead and say that everyone in this thread already understands the basic importance and implications of the use/mention distiction, and this might blow your mind, but it's actually possible for a book that is purported to be in the "mention" category (ie: Rothfuss, Lynch, etc) is actually in the "use" category. I'm objecting to your list because it's basically et up with those authors, even if some of them are legit mention-not-use, like Martin, and because a lot of them aren't really that good in literary terms. The omission of Joan Vinge is pretty glaring, in context.

I find the most grating thing about Rothfusss that he thinks he's a feminist when his books are extremely misogynist, he almost agressively presents himself and Kvothe in the narrative as feminist, and he refuses to introspect when actually called on it. I think Lynch is basically cut from the exact same cloth, he just has less sex ninjas and sex fairies. The conflict between the world he's constructed and what he keeps doing to his female characters, like the "I'm just being grittily realistic!" grimdark stuff like the female genital mutilation and rape of redheaded little girls as a cure for disease is in stark contrast with Martin, who makes a point of showing how much the misogyny of the world is systemic.

Earwicker posted:

Fantasy worlds are by definition fantastic and involve all manner of things that are not only non-historical, but are physically impossible.. if you can bend reality so far as to have dragons and zombies and floating castles, then it shouldn't be hard to bend reality so far as to have a world in which the social order is different and in which women are more than background or prizes.

This. In Lynch's case if you've already bent reality in your pseudo-Renaissance setting so that women have full legal equality as business owners, inheritors of property and titles, and hold high governmental offices and are allowed to be law enforcement in a context where it's all hand-to-hand combat with not a gun in sight, it is really tellingly weird to also have blatant sex discimination and horrifc misogynist violence that wouldn't be out of place in a work that was intentionally crafted to show the horrors of the age (Martin) or is fairly obviously the product of the author being deeply misogynist and hosed up about women on a personal level (Bakker).

Maybe it's a failure as a writer (Martin and Abercrombie have their moments here, and to Abercrombie's credit he's acknowledged it and explicitly worked on getting better), maybe it's a failure as a person (and to be fair, I think some of Martin's grimdarkness re: women does fall into this category as well), but it's definitely a failure on a literary level if nothing else.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

HELLO LADIES posted:

Did you actually read what I posted, or just responded to the fact that it was critical of you?

When you start your response with ad hominems it makes it difficult to pursue any kind of discussion, so I'll just stop. Sorry you don't like all the same books I like.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A lot of the problem too is just that there aren't enough female writers in fantasy, and when they try to break a mold they either get obscure or even beaten down by the largely male audience. There's absolutely nothing wrong with writing good books with a male-centric viewpoint (said the male fantasy writer hopeful), -though having a good grasp of writing female characters is a very big part of being good- but the more diverse voices are in the genre the more good fantasy books there are going to be, and that's not going to happen so long as the audience is mostly a boys club looking for good D&D stories.

Of course that sort of becomes a chicken and egg problem of how do you introduce female fans wanting a good female voice to a traditionally masculine pursuit (not to discourage it, I think good Science Fiction and Fantasy is a very important thing to have) other than the very limited accepted canon like Ursula Le Guin or those tainted with the brush of (gasp!) feminism like Atwood (who to be fair like all exploratory artists has a very wide range of quality and style to her works where no two people will like the same books). To Rothfuss' credit he seems to be super good about promoting his female compatriots; while his views of women can be sort of icky I cannot blame his feminism when it comes to allowing female voices a chance to shine.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Speaking of female authors, it's been years since I've read the Coldfire Trilogy (teenager) or the Magister Trilogy (early to mid 20s) but I just wanted to say that CS Friedman is one of the best authors I've ever read and if you haven't read Coldfire you should go do it immediately. Now I'm curious to go back and read both of those trilogies to see how they hold up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

spandexcajun posted:

I read one story by Dan Simmons, The Terror, and quite liked it. Is Hyperion any good?
Hyperion is very good, the main problem is that sequels get progressively worse - to the point of retrospectively ruining what came before.
I'd throw Steven Erikson in there but he's pretty drat polarizing. Hard to accuse him of misogyny, though; while he did write some of the most horrific rape scenes I've seen in fantasy, it's pretty clear they were meant to be revolting - and terrible poo poo happens to pretty much all of his characters, regardless of gender.

As for woman authors, may I throw in some Catherynne M. Valente?
I also only read one book by Nnedi Okorafor but I really liked Who Fears Death. That one actually includes Rothfuss the book's acknowledgements, although I cannot fathom why since it's miles above his stuff.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 3, 2016

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

spandexcajun posted:

Well, I would love to see this become full on badthread V.2 Patty deserves it and since a new book is not coming out anytime soon what else is there to do? I mean, is that poo poo BananaNutkins posted really from him? Even if it’s not it could be and that is bad enough.

If you mean the thing I posted where he reviews an Arthur C Clarke book, yes. His goodreads account is solid goooooold.

If you mean the ceramic dildo worshipping pseudo Muslims, that particular shame belongs to Peter V Brett, who makes Rothfuss look like some kind of altruistic feminist Hemingway.

Side note, I have met Rothfuss irl at two conventions and he was more goony than can be imagined. He had one or two assistants that saw to his every whim and followed him around with satchels full of what I'm assuming were his favorite snacks [could've been diapers], and he kept doing that cheesy morning radio host thing where he kept trying to get people to bring him Oklahoma Joes barbecue in exchange for a little face time.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 3, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Out of curiosity,, he was reviewing Rama II wasn't he?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah, it was Rama II. And I actually agree with his review of it, but I found him saying those things highly ironical.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I read Rama when I was like 11 or 12 or so and my dad told me not to bother reading any of the rest of them, but I borrowed them and struggled through it. It may have been the first time in my life that I had to force myself to read through a book that I actively didn't enjoy. I figured that since it was Clarke it was good and that was a hard learned lesson. The only book after that that I forced myself to read was The Scarlet Letter and that was only because it was for school and I couldn't even finish it. It was kind of an eye opening thing for me to realize that just because I liked an author didn't mean everything they wrote was going to be enjoyable.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

HIJK posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with fantasy authors
Somewhere out there there's gotta be a psych graduate who has tackled this question.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure it all boils down to "nerd has power fantasy and thinks about sex a lot."

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

What I am talking about is an overall pattern in which a majority of fantasy novels have very little to do with actual accurate history (and a fantasy religion that vaguely has the trappings of Christianity isn't really the same thing) and yet the idea of "historical accuracy" is raised time and time again whenever any criticism of gender roles in fantasy novels is made. I just find it ridiculous because the vast majority of fantasy I've encountered has nothing whatsoever to do with historical accuracy.

Most, if not all, fantasy is written as a power fantasy for readers who are looking for a power fantasy. A world, created by a male author for a male audience, in which a male power fantasy can play out, will, naturally, feature women who are largely subordinate to men and these women will, naturally, be sexualized and will probably want to have sex with the protagonist. This, of course, is true by varying degrees but I would argue that it's largely true. Gender roles in these stories are what they are because it's part of the power fantasy. No author, of course, will come out and tell you "Yeah, sure, women in my books are sexy and ready for sex at the drop of a hat because that's my fantasy," but to assume it isn't true for many is kind of silly.

People tend to seek out fantasy because the real world just isn't offering them the kind of experiences they would like to have. I would argue those who engage in fantasy fiction intensely and regularly are not likely to be as good looking as they'd like, as charming as they'd like, as smart as they'd like, as strong as they'd like, or having as much sex as they'd like. I mean, walk into your average comic shop or gaming den or convntion and then come back and tell me what you see; it won't, for the most part, of super fit, handsome, random-sex -havers. There are, of course, many exceptions but I think you'll find my claim is largely true

Now, I'm not defending having two-dimensional female characters. Then again, I don't read Rothfuss or other similar garbage. My real life is pretty good and I don't really need the power fantasy. However, I'm not everyone. So, I'm just saying that the reason you're not finding what you're looking for, in terms of modern gender roles, in a lot of fantasy works, is because those works are not for you. Should there be lots and lots of fantasy works that are for you? Absolutely. These just aren't, and that's OK.

TL;DR:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty sure it all boils down to "nerd has power fantasy and thinks about sex a lot."

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Most, if not all, fantasy is written as a power fantasy for readers who are looking for a power fantasy. A world, created by a male author for a male audience, in which a male power fantasy can play out, will, naturally, feature women who are largely subordinate to men and these women will, naturally, be sexualized and will probably want to have sex with the protagonist. This, of course, is true by varying degrees but I would argue that it's largely true. Gender roles in these stories are what they are because it's part of the power fantasy. No author, of course, will come out and tell you "Yeah, sure, women in my books are sexy and ready for sex at the drop of a hat because that's my fantasy," but to assume it isn't true for many is kind of silly.

People tend to seek out fantasy because the real world just isn't offering them the kind of experiences they would like to have. I would argue those who engage in fantasy fiction intensely and regularly are not likely to be as good looking as they'd like, as charming as they'd like, as smart as they'd like, as strong as they'd like, or having as much sex as they'd like. I mean, walk into your average comic shop or gaming den or convntion and then come back and tell me what you see; it won't, for the most part, of super fit, handsome, random-sex -havers. There are, of course, many exceptions but I think you'll find my claim is largely true

Now, I'm not defending having two-dimensional female characters. Then again, I don't read Rothfuss or other similar garbage. My real life is pretty good and I don't really need the power fantasy. However, I'm not everyone. So, I'm just saying that the reason you're not finding what you're looking for, in terms of modern gender roles, in a lot of fantasy works, is because those works are not for you. Should there be lots and lots of fantasy works that are for you? Absolutely. These just aren't, and that's OK.

TL;DR:

What a lazy response to criticism. Don't like it? It's not for you!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unfortunately, when you end up replacing men with women in those lead roles in these power fantasy settings, people call her a Mary Sue. Just look at the recent Star Wars film. A hyper-competent lady protagonist going through a journey and on an adventure, making friends and getting her own starship is apparently the worst thing in the history of the world of films, especially for Star Wars which belongs only to men, for some people.

Bring on them novels where women are the super-awesome lead with a harem of waifu men pining for her attention. Unfortunately, if it were written by a woman they'd have to never use the internet because the abuse they'd receive would be overwhelming.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ar least Brandon Sanderson doesn't have these super sexualized women, because his characters simply don't have sex. :cheeky:

(paging BravestOfTheLamps)

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CerealCrunch posted:

What a lazy response to criticism. Don't like it? It's not for you!

I wasn't trying to really respond to criticism. I am saying that the answer to the question as to why women are portrayed as they are in a lot of fantasy is pretty simple and obvious. I am saying that women are portrayed in a certain way by certain authors because it's part of the power fantasy. It's intentional, whether they admit to it or not, and I would argue that most of those who read works by those authors enjoy how

I don't go online and criticize Twilight or romance novels or a Tom Clancy books, because they aren't for me and that's probably why I don't like them. Good criticism is actually impossible for anyone who isn't the intended audience of a piece of media. If you absolutely hate first-person-shooters then your critique of any of them is worthless. Like, I could say "Man, I sure do hate this Twilight book! I'd really like it better if it was an entirely different book!"

Approach it from a writer or artists perspective: you create a piece of media and someone for whom you were not creating it trashes it or just doesn't like large portions of what you created - of what use is their criticism to you? What's the actionable advice? That they can't write what they like for who they like lest some people on the internet get mad at them?

Frankly, I don't see what your issue is. I don't think male these power fantasy novels are good but they are popular and they do sell well and they have an intended audience.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Unfortunately, when you end up replacing men with women in those lead roles in these power fantasy settings, people call her a Mary Sue. Just look at the recent Star Wars film. A hyper-competent lady protagonist going through a journey and on an adventure, making friends and getting her own starship is apparently the worst thing in the history of the world of films, especially for Star Wars which belongs only to men, for some people.

Bring on them novels where women are the super-awesome lead with a harem of waifu men pining for her attention. Unfortunately, if it were written by a woman they'd have to never use the internet because the abuse they'd receive would be overwhelming.

You are overstating the importance of teenage boys and loud, sexist, neckbeards with no jobs or lives.

There are already many books that portray a female power fantasy. Go check out the fantasy shelves at Barnes and Nobel. Lots and lots of urban fantasy and even some Sci-Fi, written by women, with female leads who kick rear end and end up with lots of men pining for their attention.

I mean, judging by my local B&N, female authors and female leads have urban fantasy and steampunk fantasy on lock. I don't read it or criticize it because it's not for me.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 3, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It all boils down to what kind of self indulgent power fantasy you want to consume. Rey is a Mary Sue; so is James Bond. They're both fairly cool (if boring) and they both make shitloads of money. Just because something is criticized doesn't mean it won't be hugely popular or that it doesn't deserve to be hugely popular.

What I'm saying, as a woman, is that power fantasies are okay and we shouldn't try to make them not exist, it's just that we should encourage all forms of intelligently made stuff. Rothfuss's power fantasies are hilarious but he still has a right to publish them so long as we have the right to criticize them. This applies to all creators and all things.

Being an artist is the most difficult thing if you don't thrive on conflict or can't accept constructive criticism. Female authors and characters get more of this backlash but it's still needed IMO because otherwise how do we improve as artists?

IDK, this isn't targeted at your post specifically.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

You are overstating the importance of teenage boys and loud, sexist, neckbeards with no jobs or lives.

There are already many books that portray a female power fantasy. Go check out the fantasy shelves at Barnes and Nobel. Lots and lots of urban fantasy and even some Sci-Fi, written by women, with female leads who kick rear end and end up with lots of men pining for their attention.

I mean, judging by my local B&N, female authors and female leads have urban fantasy and steampunk fantasy on lock. I don't read it or criticize it because it's not for me.

This is true. Anita Blake novels, badly written as they are, are literally about a werevampire heroine who has a harem of male sex slaves at her beck and call. These novels sell like gangbusters to a female audience. I bet there are hundreds like them out there.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

It all boils down to what kind of self indulgent power fantasy you want to consume. Rey is a Mary Sue; so is James Bond. They're both fairly cool (if boring) and they both make shitloads of money. Just because something is criticized doesn't mean it won't be hugely popular or that it doesn't deserve to be hugely popular.

What I'm saying, as a woman, is that power fantasies are okay and we shouldn't try to make them not exist, it's just that we should encourage all forms of intelligently made stuff. Rothfuss's power fantasies are hilarious but he still has a right to publish them so long as we have the right to criticize them. This applies to all creators and all things.

Being an artist is the most difficult thing if you don't thrive on conflict or can't accept constructive criticism. Female authors and characters get more of this backlash but it's still needed IMO because otherwise how do we improve as artists?

IDK, this isn't targeted at your post specifically.

I get what you're trying to say but Rey isn't really a mary sue. She is competent but not moreso than any of the other new leads and nothing she does is implausible. The mary sue meme was just started by loud neckbeards and teenage boys angry that the new Jedi protagonist wasn't a boy who grew up on a moisture farm. Bond isn't really a mary sue either, just hypercompetent like most progatonists.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

I get what you're trying to say but Rey isn't really a mary sue. She is competent but not moreso than any of the other new leads and nothing she does is implausible. The mary sue meme was just started by loud neckbeards and teenage boys angry that the new Jedi protagonist wasn't a boy who grew up on a moisture farm. Bond isn't really a mary sue either, just hypercompetent like most progatonists.

Mary Sue is a very slippery slidey term but I don't really want to discuss it here, this thread has enough problems as it is. Hit me up on PM if you're open to talking about it more, I'd welcome the discussion.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

This is true. Anita Blake novels, badly written as they are, are literally about a werevampire heroine who has a harem of male sex slaves at her beck and call. These novels sell like gangbusters to a female audience. I bet there are hundreds like them out there.

There are quite a few similar novels of varying degrees in quality.

One of the key things people enjoy in SF is the escapism a power fantasy provides. I'm not saying that you can't criticism them; I am saying that if the things you are criticizing are things that are purposefully included in the story to fuel the power fantasy for the intended audience then I don't think that really says anything that can't be summarized by just saying "well, I don't like it."

But, I just try to enjoy what appeals to me and leave the rest for others to enjoy. I get no enjoyment or intellectual stimulation out of tearing down something that others are having fun with even though its quality is suspect as far as I am concerned.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

There are quite a few similar novels of varying degrees in quality.

One of the key things people enjoy in SF is the escapism a power fantasy provides. I'm not saying that you can't criticism them; I am saying that if the things you are criticizing are things that are purposefully included in the story to fuel the power fantasy for the intended audience then I don't think that really says anything that can't be summarized by just saying "well, I don't like it."

But, I just try to enjoy what appeals to me and leave the rest for others to enjoy. I get no enjoyment or intellectual stimulation out of tearing down something that others are having fun with even though its quality is suspect as far as I am concerned.

You just rendered the existence of English as an area of study completely lmao. People make their careers out of explaining why they don't like things, which is also hilarious now that I'm thinking about it.

I should probably raid those female dominated areas of nerd lit for book recommendations. My to-read pile just got a shitload bigger.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sleauregard Silenthing has no target audience at all, and therefore is immune to all criticism.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

I get what you're trying to say but Rey isn't really a mary sue. She is competent but not moreso than any of the other new leads and nothing she does is implausible.

:vince:

You think lots of first time pilots fly through dead star destroyers and shake experienced pilots? Or first time light saber fights to a draw with someone with training and experience? Or people who barely know the force exists mind trick people?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

You think lots of first time pilots fly through dead star destroyers and shake experienced pilots? Or first time light saber fights to a draw with someone with training and experience? Or people who barely know the force exists mind trick people?

NO, SHUT UP, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS HERE.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Newsflash:

Female Power fantasy is written by dicks who get a temporary pass because society says they do.

Power fantasy is written by dicks who are basement dwellers and don't get a pass because society says they don't.

They're both vapid trash as far as literary merit is concerned.

The Mary Sue argument keeps springing up because there's really no question of whether or not Kvothe or Rey are Mary Sues. They are. Sherlock Holmes was a Mary Sue. It's all good, and if you want to read or write about those shallow characters, go for it.

[Heavy breathing]

But don't defend a fact that's obviously false because you feel a moral compulsion stand up for women's rights. There are honest ways to do that that don't require white knighting crap characters and authors.

[Heavy breathing]

Like real world stuff. Maybe stop battering your wife for a day or two or help an old lady across the street without running off with her handbag. Or pretending you're a lesbian because it's in vogue right now.

[Heavy breathing]

If your really want to make a difference in today modern world you need to go full tranny and hit someone with your car and get away with it. Defending female Mary Sue characters is spitting into the wind of social change. Come back when you can take a stance that means something--We won't have real change until there are andro pedophile dog rapists running this country.

Androgynous pirate isn't interested in your puppies booty 2016

Come fly the flag with me in Washington.

[Posted from White House lawn]

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CerealCrunch posted:

Don't like it? It's not for you!

-Patrick Rothfuss, defending Slow Regard against its (numerous) critics.

HIJK posted:

Skimming through the various fantasy lists on iBooks or Kindle is always pages upon pages of sex fantasy poo poo. I'm sure it was bad before 50 Shades of Grey but that Twilight-fanfic-turned-blockbuster definitely made it worse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Slithery D posted:

She wasn't a "first time pilot". She explicitly says she's flown before, but just hasn't ever left the planet. Her opponent in the lightsaber fight was 1) wounded and 2) not trying to kill her. As for the mind trick, that's the closest thing you've got to a valid point here, but she's presented as a powerful prodigy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh gosh. I wasn't even talking about if it held water or not, I was just pointing out that the term has become a derogatory term. They say that instead of saying "I hated that the fact the character was a woman". They don't care about the details, they care about the gender. At least most of the people.

Edit: Remember when Rothfuss took a character who was headstrong and didn't think things through and was vindictive and showed off and was proud then had the universe bend over backwards to prove that person right and show how completely awesome he was? Boy, did things change a lot between books.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 3, 2016

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Just :lol: if you weren't dumbfounded by the entire Millennium Falcon sequence. (Why were the loving keys left in it?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Mary Sue could be her own thread, but generally my understanding is that if they have a character flaw of any kind, they're not a Mary Sue. Honor Harrington is a Mary Sue because she's perfect at everything, including morality, and anyone who disagrees with her about anything is actually evil.

Sherlock Holmes, for example, has plenty of character flaws. Wild mood swings, cocaine use, sometimes he fucks up cases and people die as a result, etc. "Mary Sue" isn't just a synonym for "talented and skilled protagonist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Well, I believe in the original Doyle, the cocaine use was seen more as Sherlock being a forward thinking man of science rather than a flaw. I just read Hound of The Baskervilles and Holmes most definitely had no flaws in that book.

• Locked thread