Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Fintilgin posted:

Well, something is hosed up. Reflection quality has a big impact and acts... really weird.

If I drive out and park in the middle of the road with low reflection quality teens to 20s fps just sitting there.

Toggle reflection quality to medium. 70-90 fps as long as I'm just sitting there not moving.

The moment I hit the gas and start driving fps goes (almost instantly) back down to 20 or so.

Park the truck, toggle reflections up or down a notch, back to 70-90 fps (100+ if I lean out the window and look back). Hit the gas... roll forward a couple yards and BAM back down to 18-24fps.

The only thing I can think of is asset streaming from the hard drive. But I don't hear it chugging or anything weird.

:raise:

What are your mirror settings? Those have a big impact on performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Wow I'm not good at parking. Do the ATS trucks not turn as sharp as the ETS2 trucks or what?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hollenhammer posted:

I'm on a 660GTX from 2011 and everything in mint maxed out. Curious

That's less weird since I have done absolutely gently caress-all to optimise my settings and drivers. :haw:
Also, cranking up the scaling/oversampling and running at 2560×1440 tends to push the limits of my vram.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Two things:

1. Why do the traffic lights go directly from red to green with no red/yellow first so you're prepared? It just suddenly becomes green.

2. Why does so many cargo places have a guy standing at the entrance thrusting his hips towards me?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
They are longer as is the trucks wheelbase, so no, not as sharp.

As for there being no yellow before green, we don't have that in the states as it isn't necessary, and would most likely confuse drivers, and encourage impatient people to start driving before green. There is a yellow light you can watch to be prepared, and that is the cross traffic light.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Poil posted:

Two things:

1. Why do the traffic lights go directly from red to green with no red/yellow first so you're prepared? It just suddenly becomes green.

2. Why does so many cargo places have a guy standing at the entrance thrusting his hips towards me?

1. The US doesn't do the yellow light between red to green, only a yellow light to warn you that the light is turning from green to red. We are dumb like that.

2. Depending on your proximity to Reno/Vegas, he is either guiding you park the vehicle or is a tranny hooker.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Poil posted:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

jadebullet posted:

Here in Pennsylvania you have the added fun of people coming to the end of an on ramp and rather than being up to highway speed, they come to a complete stop. I mean, yes, our state is dumb enough to put stop signs at the end of an on ramp during construction work but gently caress people who stop on every on ramp. I'm trying to merge properly.

Also, here in PA, we don't have guard rails we have "guide rails."

A-loving-men. If they ever put PA in this game, they need to include I-70 in western PA, which existed before the interstate system so was grandfathered in without having to come up to standards. The roads are in bad shape and there are several exits that are literally just POOF no merge right into the highway with no space to even see behind you if anything is coming. On the eastern end, you haven't lived until you drive I-76 near Philadelphia aka the Schuykill Expressway. This is another section that was grandfathered in. Again several exits that just plow into the highway with the added excitement of a bridge abutment right at the end. MERGE OR DIE! Here's Girard Ave onto the Expressway for example

As for future expansion, I hope we get the entire South from ocean to ocean. At that point if a rush job of beer from Texarkana to Atlanta isn't generated I'll be highly disappointed.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Southern California freeways are missing the most important thing about them the endless traffic. Driving 4PM in the afternoon Monday had as much traffic as a very quiet weekend in reality. Its a shame too becuase I wanted the challenge of having to deal with that many cars and the difficult lane changes.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like I must be doing something wrong with the performance. I've got a GTX 970 that hasn't had any other issues.

With directx presets
Low = 60 fps
Medium = 30-40 fps
High = 20-30 fps
Ultra = 15- mid 20s fps

Running in OpenGL it doesn't look as good, but it's more like 45-60 on ultra.

I get the impression I should be getting better directx fps, but I haven't been able to find anything useful online. :smith:

EDIT: Also, it makes me suspicious that running at 400% on ultra is only a few FPS less then 100% on ultra. :raise:

I know, different company, but I am running a R9 270X 4GB with everything maxed (even the scaling) at 1918x1010 in a window (that res gets perfect window size for the below screenshot on a 1080p monitor in Win10) and getting, at a minimum, 30fps. I'm also running the game from my SSD on an i7-4790K

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 3, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Added to OP

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a GTX 970 and everything is on max except the mirrors. I'm just about to try my DK2 with it. Probably have to turn things down.

I managed to park the way I wanted to in the tight garage thing with the excavator out front in cab view. I had to switch to bird eye view once to check where I was though. It's hard to judge how far back you are or can go.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

tater_salad posted:

No poo poo they sure have.. I think the issue is with the G27 gone the prices of decent entry wheels have gone up since your choice now is DFGT, or $500. When I was looking on amazon about 6 months ago to see what he DFGT goes for it was around 120.

The use to be around 120 or so.. Check your local craigslist..
I got mine for 75 with a "big boy" wheelstand..

Right now within an hour of me, There are 3 in the 120$-200 range with a stand.. the stand is usually 120 or so.. basically

edit.. look for "playstation wheel" as well sometimes they aren't listed as a driving force gt.

Just did and unfortunately the only non-poo poo wheel is an almost guarenteed mugging scam judging by its price and location :(
Oh well, guess it'll be xbox conroller time.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
This is still my favorite truck sim screenshot I've taken (ETS1)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The rear end Stooge posted:

This is still my favorite truck sim screenshot I've taken (ETS1)

that's art

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
not enough Powder Gangers

SCS Pro Skater

a nice sunset

Also, I ended up running a red light earlier today, because it kept changing before I had a clear shot through the enemy cars in the oncoming lane. I've racked up a few fines for running reds and speeding already, but it didn't take very long before I could take out a $500k loan from the bank and hire a driver to cover those.

I really like (and sometimes hate) driving through cities that feel like cities. There's a narrow road along the ocean in Oxnard that feels like I should be watching out for tourists crossing the street without looking.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 3, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Okay other than night time the DK2 makes parking about 1000x easier. Really helps the situational awareness. Seems to work on Med graphics settings 100%. Ultra only works in the garage and High works okay sometimes but stutters other times. I haven't gone into the advanced settings to figure out exactly what causes slowdowns.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Today in ATS I learned that in America it's illegal to overtake on a single lane desert road.

I also learned that if I ever visit LA and want to hire a truck driver, I should head to the beach.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Largepotato posted:

Today in ATS I learned that in America it's illegal to overtake on a single lane desert road.

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that? I thought double yellow lines signified something different, but I guess it's just pretty stupid then.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Double yellow = no passing, either side of the road
Solid yellow one side, dashed on the other = passing only on the dashed side of the road
Single dashed line = passing on either side of the road

Example: http://epg.modot.org/files/e/ee/620.2.2.0.1_3B1.jpg

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

American cops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3c64j2DPE

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like I must be doing something wrong with the performance. I've got a GTX 970 that hasn't had any other issues.

With directx presets
Low = 60 fps
Medium = 30-40 fps
High = 20-30 fps
Ultra = 15- mid 20s fps

Running in OpenGL it doesn't look as good, but it's more like 45-60 on ultra.

I get the impression I should be getting better directx fps, but I haven't been able to find anything useful online. :smith:

EDIT: Also, it makes me suspicious that running at 400% on ultra is only a few FPS less then 100% on ultra. :raise:

I have the same problem though I haven't touched OpenGL. I've got a GTX 970 as well so I don't really understand what's going on there. What's your CPU?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Poil posted:

Very required IMO, because many Americans would interpret that pre-green yellow not as "prepare to accelerate" but "GO NOW". Just like the pre-red yellow does not mean "prepare to stop" it means "GUN IT BEFORE THE RED MAN"

Which would lead to Pre-Green Yellow and Pre-Red Yellow idiots killing eachother in collisions.

Edit: More screenshots

Wanna see this show:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 3, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Does the green at least blink before it transitions to red? Having to slam on the brakes can be dangerous, especially when it's slippery.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Blinking? No. It goes Green-Yellow-Red. In real life, at least in California, it stays yellow before red for a decent length of time (several seconds, I recall its something like one second for every 15MPH of the speed limit on that road, but this is old unreliable memory).

Also very popular here, but not doubt endemic everywhere is the "California stop" where some people barely slow for stop signs that aren't busy... or for right-on-reds. Sometimes they barely slow even if it IS busy.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 3, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

what truck do you guys like best? I leaning towards the peterbilt at the moment

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A more modern representation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgTcrZ5030

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just did a late night delivery and it started to rain. :3:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Blinking? No. It goes Green-Yellow-Red. In real life, at least in California, it stays yellow before red for a decent length of time (several seconds, I recall its something like one second for every 15MPH of the speed limit on that road, but this is old unreliable memory).

Also very popular here, but not doubt endemic everywhere is the "California stop" where some people barely slow for stop signs that aren't busy... or for right-on-reds. Sometimes they barely slow even if it IS busy.
There sure are a lot of stops signs in the game. Are there that many in real life too?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, they are. Seeing all those 3/4-way "Yield" intersections in ETS where you don't have to stop unless someone is coming from another direction was quite surprising. That said, I'm sure they exist in the US too, just not in my suburbanized stretch of central California. Out here, even the country backgrounds have stop signs in one direction of traffic at intersections.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Poil posted:

Just did a late night delivery and it started to rain. :3:

There sure are a lot of stops signs in the game. Are there that many in real life too?

Never at the same intersection as lights, but there are a decent number of stop sign intersections

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just wondering if you pick a black avatar for your driver, do the cops shoot you instead of giving you a ticket?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Unimpressed posted:

Just wondering if you pick a black avatar for your driver, do the cops shoot you instead of giving you a ticket?

Nah, but if you pick a white driver and drive through Los Angeles, there's a random chance you'll get pulled out of your truck and beaten with a brick.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Huh, the card art on Steam for ATS is... something different. Usually developers just toss some concept art on them.

Also one of those overpasses seems to turn to plunge straight down into the ground

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Playing with an XB360 controller and enjoying it. Are there any controller button mapping layouts that you guys prefer?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Seems like one of SCS' artist worked in his own name.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Athaboros posted:

Playing with an XB360 controller and enjoying it. Are there any controller button mapping layouts that you guys prefer?

Simple automatic transmission:

Left stick = steer
Right stick = look around
A = activate
B = wipers
Y = trailer attach/detach
X = start/stop engine
LB = previous route advisor page
RB = next route advisor page
LT = brake
RT = accelerate
Back = world map
Xbox = menu
Start = toggle route advisor
D-pad up = light modes
D-pad down = high beams
D-pad left = interior camera
D-pad right = chase camera
R3 = horn

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The rear end Stooge posted:

Simple automatic transmission:

Left stick = steer
Right stick = look around
A = activate
B = wipers
Y = trailer attach/detach
X = start/stop engine
LB = previous route advisor page
RB = next route advisor page
LT = brake
RT = accelerate
Back = world map
Xbox = menu
Start = toggle route advisor
D-pad up = light modes
D-pad down = high beams
D-pad left = interior camera
D-pad right = chase camera
R3 = horn

But what about your turn signals? :colbert: I usually use LB/RB for those.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But what about your turn signals? :colbert: I usually use LB/RB for those.

gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I use left/right dpad for signals, the only camera mode I have is the interior on right stick click, for reseting the camera while looking around. I use the other cameras so infrequently that the keyboard suffices.