Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really, though, what can you add to the game's raw mechanics that won't be interpreted as more busywork by people who are used to the game without those new things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I feel like water pipes are in the game for no other reason than the fact they were in Sim City since time immemorial.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Really, though, what can you add to the game's raw mechanics that won't be interpreted as more busywork by people who are used to the game without those new things?
Thematic/cosmetic DLC? I would fork out some buckaroonies for the option to lay down cobblestone streets, watch pennyfarthings use bike lanes and have pedestrians wearing top hats, for example.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Maybe we should be forced to lay gas pipes too,

I'm 100% for this, provided they have a chance of randomly exploding.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I really hope for more aesthetic styles, sure I could get mods but manually changing everything into an African, Arabic, Asian, Indian or South American theme is a complete pain in the pipes when it could just be done by a toggle (preferably a better toggle, but still) like with the current two themes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ofaloaf posted:

Thematic/cosmetic DLC? I would fork out some buckaroonies for the option to lay down cobblestone streets, watch pennyfarthings use bike lanes and have pedestrians wearing top hats, for example.

CJacobs posted:

to the game's raw mechanics

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the heating pipes are basically water pipes, just with hotter water. They could make them break randomly during winter if you skimp on maintenance, and cause people to freeze to death if the maintenance crew can't get to the site because your traffic sucks.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Import some of the time period elements from the CiM series? Have different vehicles, services, etc. and such unlock not from town size, but by date. No wind turbines before 1980 (picking a year out of the air), AI favors personal auto use after 1950, that sort of thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CJacobs posted:

Its hard to describe without being an utterly gutsless idea guy but I still want to throw out there that currently there's no real civic decisions to make. Services are all either something that exists or it doesn't. Demographics don't really form and there's no real conflict around that, so everybody is absolutely thrilled, and educated, and perfectly healthy. Adding more exists yes/no services isn't working to fix that and it'd be cool to see the already existing institutions made to have actual teeth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ofaloaf posted:

Import some of the time period elements from the CiM series? Have different vehicles, services, etc. and such unlock not from town size, but by date. No wind turbines before 1980 (picking a year out of the air), AI favors personal auto use after 1950, that sort of thing.

That would be an interesting.

zedprime posted:

Its hard to describe without being an utterly gutsless idea guy but I still want to throw out there that currently there's no real civic decisions to make. Services are all either something that exists or it doesn't. Demographics don't really form and there's no real conflict around that, so everybody is absolutely thrilled, and educated, and perfectly healthy. Adding more exists yes/no services isn't working to fix that and it'd be cool to see the already existing institutions made to have actual teeth.

That too. I think the actual simulation part of the game being an inch deep serves its purpose fine, but some additional depth like that probably wouldn't result in too much busywork.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give me ingame terraforming tools!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I've just started playing again and... I think this works?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ihmemies posted:

Well the heating pipes are basically water pipes, just with hotter water. They could make them break randomly during winter if you skimp on maintenance, and cause people to freeze to death if the maintenance crew can't get to the site because your traffic sucks.

Since when does hot water get piped to houses that aren't in Iceland anyway? I thought houses had boilers to heat water up when needed. Otherwise hot water just goes cold in the pipe under the road when nobody's running a faucet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

I've just started playing again and... I think this works?
It'll work fine, until the traffic increases and massive queues will block the rightmost line on the highway for miles. Nice job on the speed bumps though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The temperature vs power thing is a good idea and sounds fun in my opinion but i find it a bit weird that they are doing this without seasons. On tropical maps power usage should go up when it gets very warm because everyone is pumping up the air con?

I think the idea of adding capacity to sewage and water pipes is interesting but it could get very irritating very fast.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since when does hot water get piped to houses that aren't in Iceland anyway? I thought houses had boilers to heat water up when needed. Otherwise hot water just goes cold in the pipe under the road when nobody's running a faucet.

I think the system is more for centralized heating than providing hot, potable water to your home. (E: in such a system the water would always be circulating so it didn't have a chance to cool down before being 'used').

Some North American cities have similar systems that use steam to heat large buildings in their downtown and other densely built up neighbourhoods but it's not something that you'd see spread across a while city.

Toronto even has a centralized system that uses chilled lake water from Lake Ontario to help with climate control in larger buildings by the waterfront but again, it's not something you'd have acess to everywhere.

This seems a rather odd thing to include in a DLC and kinda strikes me as them running out of workable ideas.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This seems a rather odd thing to include in a DLC and kinda strikes me as them running out of workable really easy to implement ideas.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

zedprime posted:

Simcity 3000 had petitioners, different interest groups that came and requested stuff from you (I can't remember if these were just the regular city ordinances). Perhaps something based around that would work? Decision X helps one group but impacts another in a negative way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Metrication posted:

Simcity 3000 had petitioners, different interest groups that came and requested stuff from you (I can't remember if these were just the regular city ordinances). Perhaps something based around that would work? Decision X helps one group but impacts another in a negative way.
Idea only works if you have Penultimo.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

People riot and burn the city down to the ground!!!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

This is kind of the issue I have with the game too, especially when compared to SimCity 4. Since cim income isn't a factor, there's no zoning for low-income housing, nor is there any penalty for overeducated workers in low skill jobs. Meaning that your whole city ends up as this homogenous paradise of sky high property values and 0% unemployment.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Give me ingame terraforming tools!

There's a mod for that? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307

:shrug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of the issue I have with the game too, especially when compared to SimCity 4. Since cim income isn't a factor, there's no zoning for low-income housing, nor is there any penalty for overeducated workers in low skill jobs. Meaning that your whole city ends up as this homogenous paradise of sky high property values and 0% unemployment.

This is probably the aspect of the game I want changed the most. The simulation eventually becomes highly cookie cutter outside of traffic. Separating building level from overall happiness and having it factor off of other values would go a long way, I think.

I don't really care for new systems for the simulation when its core is boring.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This seems a rather odd thing to include in a DLC and kinda strikes me as them running out of workable ideas.

Maybe because such heating systems are the primary way to heat cities in Finland. So what others may find weird is commonplace here, devs thought it might be a good idea without too much :effort: The water is constantly circulating and temp varies between 65C and 115C. It spreads out via pipes from a power plant to apartments and radiators in different rooms. When a pipe breaks whole neighborhoods lose heating.

It's basically :ussr:

Lately they have been installing cooling pipes too. So now they have all kinds of pipes (heating, cooling, cold water, warm water, sewer) running underground...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 3, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Taking a cue from Paradox's Crusader Kings 2 DLC "The Conclave", the next C:S DLC implements thrilling internal politics with "The Planning Commission".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe because such heating systems are the primary way to heat cities in Finland. So what others may find weird is commonplace here, devs thought it might be a good idea without too much :effort: The water is constantly circulating and temp varies between 65C and 115C. It spreads out via pipes from a power plant to apartments and radiators in different rooms. When a pipe breaks whole neighborhoods lose heating.

It's basically :ussr:

Lately they have been installing cooling pipes too. So now they have all kinds of pipes (heating, cooling, cold water, warm water, sewer) running underground...

Don't forget the escape pipes, or the fresh pudding pipes, or the moleman pipes, or the mail pipes, or the internet pipes or the power pipes.

... having anything overground gets it destroyed either by the sandstorms, the blizzards, the lightning storms or Sandstorm.

(The actual standard is cold water, internet, power and sewer. Heating pipes are available when power plants are nearby, but not the only way.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Don't forget the escape pipes, or the fresh pudding pipes, or the moleman pipes, or the mail pipes, or the internet pipes or the power pipes.

... having anything overground gets it destroyed either by the sandstorms, the blizzards, the lightning storms or Sandstorm.

(The actual standard is cold water, internet, power and sewer. Heating pipes are available when power plants are nearby, but not the only way.)

Sorry, I forgot cold water is heated as needed with the heat from heating pipe water :v:

The powe plant does not need to be that big. Of course it has synergies when you produce electricity and heat with the same plant, but I know many smaller plants producing just heat too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I understand that hot water pipes are a 'thing' where the devs are from but I wonder what made them want to include them over just about anything else they could've chosen. I don't mind having to lay water pipes, they're kinda necessary to run a successful city and I don't see why anyone would be complaining about having to provide water to your city in a game about building a city, but I do wonder where you draw the line. There's plenty of both under and above ground utilities in cities, what purpose would making the player lay each and every one out separately serve? Why not just change the name of 'water mains' to 'utility tunnel' and have everything run through them? Especially in this case because it sounds like the water will run through the same pipes, you just need to place an extra building.

Just seems a weird choice and gives the impression that they're out of ideas.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 4, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Terrain tools, extending the metro network into a city rail network that can run on ground or elevated, a real wide-area farming zone system, give unique buildings events and unique effects, actually overhaul tourism...

The big thing the game is missing is a distinction between wealth and density, but I think that's probably too fundamental a change to make before Skylines 2.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think most of us are in general agreement that what we basically want Skylines 2 to be is SimCity 4 (with the NAO) in 3D.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I liked the gameplay/progression stuff that they had in the most recent SimCity. Stuff like buildings that I could upgrade over time or buildings that had an event once a week like concerts or sports matches; things where I could watch a special circumstance test my city, see where the failure points were, and then react to to prepare for next time. I think things that you could opt into or out of (unlike disasters) like "Would you like to make a bid to host the Olympics in 10 years?" that would give you a big list of things you needed to organize in facilities and infrastructure would be really neat.

It sounds like there needs to be a bit more game in the game, is all. If they aren't gonna go full zen garden and flood the game with really granular tools to build parking lots and sea walls and chain link fencing and stuff, that is.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a good container stack yard asset that doesn't disappear when you zoom out? My port looks stupid even mildly zoomed out because the containers in whatever container park asset I use disappear and just leave blank concrete. Settings are all really high and no other assets do this.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The modular civic buildings thing is probably the one thing SimCity 2013 had that I wish C:S did better. Everything else about that game was a tyre fire.

It's kind of weird but the Network Extensions mod pretty much covers most of what I want in terms of extra road types; I use Traffic++ too for the improved pathfinding (which does make large cities chug a little but the more "normal" traffic behaviour makes up for it), I don't actually activate the extra road times in that.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Honestly, the small feature that would get me to play the game a lot more is a way to speed up the very first part of building a city, or some more "initial off ramp" templates. When I start a brand new map I always get a little intimidated by the possibilities of that that first highway and build a tiny bit of it before quickly giving up. I've only managed to push through that first phase a few times, but each time I would end up building awesome huge cities for a long time. I just need a little push to get the ball rolling.

Maybe that's just my problem tough and I ultimately need to git gud.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wrr posted:

Honestly, the small feature that would get me to play the game a lot more is a way to speed up the very first part of building a city, or some more "initial off ramp" templates. When I start a brand new map I always get a little intimidated by the possibilities of that that first highway and build a tiny bit of it before quickly giving up. I've only managed to push through that first phase a few times, but each time I would end up building awesome huge cities for a long time. I just need a little push to get the ball rolling.

Maybe that's just my problem tough and I ultimately need to git gud.

You might want to check out playing with unlimited money and all milestones unlocked enabled. I switched a few cities ago and I'm having a lot more fun. The best part of this game isn't the progression or the economic sim, it's about designing a rad city and watching it come to life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, I understand the way they set up beginning a city as a babby's first city tutorial, but once you know what you're doing it's pretty retarded to be locked into building in one specific area until you've reached the 7,000 residents or whatever to unlock highways and actually be able to jigger the default highway and build further out.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh I've always played with infinite money. I built half a city without and and decided that was stupid. I used to play with the 'instant unlock' thing too but stopped doing so for reasons I forget. I guess I should just turn it back on.

It's just hooking onto that drat first highway! I always end up building a huge nasty looking look somewhere and stop playing because it is so ugly.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

here's another shameless plug for my starter city, which will give you a nice leg to stand on: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Efexeye posted:

here's another shameless plug for my starter city, which will give you a nice leg to stand on: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

I'm going to need to poke around that later, because it might help with some of the issues I've been having. Namely, congestion!

This intersection/highway on/off ramps have become a complete disaster. It's just constant traffic jams. I've added more on ramps and off ramps at my other highway overpasses, but it hasn't done anything to alleviate the problem.

Closer look at it and my mostly ineffective fixes. I noticed in your city, Efexeye, you have on and off ramps at basically every other block, which probably would help, but it feels really unrealistic. Is there another way?

Edit:

Poil posted:

It'll work fine, until the traffic increases and massive queues will block the rightmost line on the highway for miles. Nice job on the speed bumps though.

Yeah you ended up calling it, but just for a different overpass! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Compared to traffic in some of my cities, this is a beautiful dream! :smith: