Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

QuantaStarFire posted:

Everyone is Australian tomorrow, yes.

Cheers mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LordSaturn posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, this is like the one time where Silent Storm's walking tanks would actually make sense.

...The point being somebody already did that.

Are you thick in the head? It was a joke, jesus.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

According to the Xenonauts 2 website, developer Goldhawk Interactive cites the release of 2K Games’ XCOM 2 as the reason for renewed interest in the Xenonauts series.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not entirely sure that makes sense, guys...

It translates to: "Hey, look at all of this hype for Xcom2, seems like people want more even after X-Com and Xenonauts so let's also do another one before someone else does".

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zone 1 Supremacy, however I'll be working Friday so eh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LinkesAuge posted:

It translates to: "Hey, look at all of this hype for Xcom2, seems like people want more even after X-Com and Xenonauts so let's also do another one before someone else does".

Right, but interest in the AAA polished X-COM doesn't necessarily translate into more sales for indie Xenonauts, if anything I would think the opposite. The competition is bad for them, xenonauts was best before X-COM ever came out and it was like the modern indie X-com thing, then XCOM came out and everybody liked it. I guess some people still like xenonauts too, sure, but I feel like that's gonna be a tiny niche audience. I backed xenonauts before it was out and played it some, but I played XCOM a whole lot more. Its kinda apples and oranges, but I feel like the apples appeal to more people and both have to compete in the same space, in this case.

Thyrork posted:

I like humans having psionics! Its a really cool power set but Xenonauts omitting them also opened up more wiggle room to give the alien's one last great weapon... and for you to feel really good about slugging said weapon in the face with a mag cannon because we overcome the Praetor's with superior technology. :getin: :science:

Why can't it be both? The thing I always wanted from X-COM sequels was more diverse technology trees, but we have yet to really get that.

I want it to be possible to put off lasers and make better ballistic guns, or go into lasers early and then get something beyond plasma.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, but interest in the AAA polished X-COM doesn't necessarily translate into more sales for indie Xenonauts, if anything I would think the opposite. The competition is bad for them, xenonauts was best before X-COM ever came out and it was like the modern indie X-com thing, then XCOM came out and everybody liked it. I guess some people still like xenonauts too, sure, but I feel like that's gonna be a tiny niche audience. I backed xenonauts before it was out and played it some, but I played XCOM a whole lot more. Its kinda apples and oranges, but I feel like the apples appeal to more people and both have to compete in the same space, in this case.

I think this is a case where the "smaller" game profits from the bigger one because it simply creates awareness of the genre and due to the fact that there aren't really many TBS games like these around there shouldn't really be any real competition between them, it's a space that really doesn't get filled. I'm not saying that everyone who is into XCom2 will be interested in Xenonauts2 but there is certainly enough overlapp to make it interesting for such a small studio.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Why can't it be both? The thing I always wanted from X-COM sequels was more diverse technology trees, but we have yet to really get that.

I want it to be possible to put off lasers and make better ballistic guns, or go into lasers early and then get something beyond plasma.
Yeah, I'm actually a bit disappointed that plasma seems to be the final weapon tier this time around as well. I was kind of hoping that we'd get an entire weapon line based on the Alloy Cannon this time around but it's all beam plasma guns, unless Firaxis has managed to keep a fourth weapon tier secret.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dominic White posted:

One review skirted around details, but semi-spoiled/confirmed what a lot of people had been theorizing regarding the prequel novel.

Word is that poo poo Gets Real in the latter half of the campaign and a whole new set of alien enemies come into play. I'm guessing stuff from the quarantine zones mentioned?

Desperately hope this is true.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The Iron Rose posted:

I sexually identify as a XFS-105 Raven Interceptor.

I have finally found the strength to admit it.

I was 12 years old when I realized that I’m not really a man at heart, but rather a 19 foot, 10.5 inch long gatling gun strapped onto a 24,959 pound airframe.

All my life has been a lie but I’m setting that right today. I was designed to kill Alien Supply Barges. From now on, call me “Raven-1.” That’s my real name.

I’m having plastic surgeons attach a Phoenix 30 milimeter rotary Cannon, 1,200 pounds of titanium armor, and two TF34-GE-100 Elerium Afterburners to my body. Central Officer Bradford said I’m loving stupid and I can’t be a jet, but I’m beautiful and I am a goddamn jet.

If XCOM won’t pay for me to get the surgery, I’m just going to bring in Code Pink and point out that that Manning loser is getting hormones and he’s in a gene clinic so why shouldn’t a perfectly well-adjusted and honorably serving soldier have the right to be who they truly are, a metal killing machine?

I am so sick and tired of being oppressed. Now we Ravens are on the Council's chopping block. It’s sickening to see all the white cisgender nazi shitlords literally raping my people with their actions.

It’s my right to spray 2,100 to 4,200 depleted uranium rounds per minute at both soft and hard targets and if you don’t support me and my transformation then you’re an aerialphobe and need to check your weapon platform privilege.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 31, 2022

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Iron Rose posted:

I sexually identify as a XFS-105 Raven Interceptor.

I have finally found the strength to admit it.

I was 12 years old when I realized that I’m not really a man at heart, but rather a 19 foot, 10.5 inch long gatling gun strapped onto a 24,959 pound airframe.

All my life has been a lie but I’m setting that right today. I was designed to kill Alien Supply Barges. From now on, call me “Raven-1.” That’s my real name.

I’m having plastic surgeons attach a Phoenix 30 milimeter rotary Cannon, 1,200 pounds of titanium armor, and two TF34-GE-100 Elerium Afterburners to my body. Central Officer Bradford said I’m loving stupid and I can’t be a jet, but I’m beautiful and I am a goddamn jet.

If XCOM won’t pay for me to get the surgery, I’m just going to bring in Code Pink and point out that that Manning loser is getting hormones and he’s in a gene clinic so why shouldn’t a perfectly well-adjusted and honorably serving soldier have the right to be who they truly are, a metal killing machine?

I am so sick and tired of being oppressed. Now we Ravens are on the Council's chopping block. It’s sickening to see all the white cisgender nazi shitlords literally raping my people with their actions.

It’s my right to spray 2,100 to 4,200 depleted uranium rounds per minute at both soft and hard targets and if you don’t support me and my transformation then you’re an aerialphobe and need to check your weapon platform privilege.

Shen's Last Gift looking good.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

splifyphus posted:

They haven't. There are still three tiers of firearms and armor. The order that you can get some items is pretty random though.
Yeah, I didn't think so either but who knows, maybe it'll get added in a mod or an official expansion.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

welllllllp

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

I think this is a case where the "smaller" game profits from the bigger one because it simply creates awareness of the genre and due to the fact that there aren't really many TBS games like these around there shouldn't really be any real competition between them, it's a space that really doesn't get filled. I'm not saying that everyone who is into XCom2 will be interested in Xenonauts2 but there is certainly enough overlapp to make it interesting for such a small studio.

Yeah that's entirely possible too. And I'm no business expert.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, I'm actually a bit disappointed that plasma seems to be the final weapon tier this time around as well. I was kind of hoping that we'd get an entire weapon line based on the Alloy Cannon this time around but it's all beam plasma guns, unless Firaxis has managed to keep a fourth weapon tier secret.

Yep. At least there's good mod support now :getin:

Lets bring in the TFTD lines (Gauss weapons, Sonic weaopns) as alternative advancement trees with advantages / disadvantages over laser/plasma.

Ideally you'd be in a situation where you could have like, Gauss, Sonic and Laser, or Gauss, Laser and Plasma, but not all 4. Something like that, where you have to pick which to commit to but each has tactical advantages, so that you might still want to have a couple guys with laser weapons even after you get sonic weapons, or a couple guys with gauss even after you get plasma, that'd be great.

E: Maybe some aliens have resistance to lasers but weakness to gauss, and others are vise versa? Or one can shoot through buildings better or something like that, IDK. Maybe one has a higher chance of hit but the other does more damage? Lots of ways you could vary up the tech.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 3, 2016

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's entirely possible too. And I'm no business expert.

Yep. At least there's good mod support now :getin:

Lets bring in the TFTD lines (Gauss weapons, Sonic weaopns) as alternative advancement trees with advantages / disadvantages over laser/plasma.

Ideally you'd be in a situation where you could have like, Gauss, Sonic and Laser, or Gauss, Laser and Plasma, but not all 4. Something like that, where you have to pick which to commit to but each has tactical advantages, so that you might still want to have a couple guys with laser weapons even after you get sonic weapons, or a couple guys with gauss even after you get plasma, that'd be great.

E: Maybe some aliens have resistance to lasers but weakness to gauss, and others are vise versa? Or one can shoot through buildings better or something like that, IDK. Maybe one has a higher chance of hit but the other does more damage? Lots of ways you could vary up the tech.
Making lasers have infinite ammo would be an awesome callback.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, while all of these really ambitious total conversions will never, ever get made mucking about with the tech trees and adding new guns is available from day one. Once people have made some gun models (and sister, will they ever make some gun models) taking those and changing the stats to your preference should be trivially easy.

There is even already an example for weapons doing bonus damage what with all the stuff with mechs. Tinkering with preexisting systems is obviously easier than creating them from scratch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 3, 2016

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 31, 2022

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Kinda bummed they haven't released the modding documentation yet.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The simplest way to add weapon classes would be to have one with higher crit rate and accuracy and the other with better base damage. I'd lean towards kinetics for the former and energy for the latter, unless perhaps you want to match explosive rounds with high-accuracy lasers. One has high-damage shots with a notable chance to do no damage vs. low-damage shots that have a notable chance to get good damage. Seems fairly balanced.

Without more (vanilla) stats to trick out, and range already dictated by class, that would seem simplest. The only other simple stat could be disallowing weapon add-ons; having higher-than-average overall stats could trump adaptability.

Splash damage or debuffs could be a thing, but that leaves all sorts of other concerns. Ammo mods already do most of that, anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you got it from GMG, did you get the digital deluxe preload or just the regular? I bought the DD edition but can't tell if that's what I received. I got the resistance warrior pack though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

500kb/s :negative:

This is the one time I regret not being at home...

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

If you got it from GMG, did you get the digital deluxe preload or just the regular? I bought the DD edition but can't tell if that's what I received. I got the resistance warrior pack though.

Just check here https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

No snakes?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Not gonna lie, I love that they have a dev character pool you can import that has most of the major faces of development included. Something like 100ish devs maybe? That's kind of awesome.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lunethex posted:

No snakes?

Maybe some sidewinder missiles :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks, looks like I'm good!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, while all of these really ambitious total conversions will never, ever get made mucking about with the tech trees and adding new guns is available from day one. Once people have made some gun models (and sister, will they ever make some gun models) taking those and changing the stats to your preference should be trivially easy.

There is even already an example for weapons doing bonus damage what with all the stuff with mechs. Tinkering with preexisting systems is obviously easier than creating them from scratch.

Yup! A full TFTD mod is still my dream, but its very pie-in-the-sky with all the work that would have to be done. Even if it got done right by talented people, it wouldn't compare well to the existing content made by 2K.

But gun mods? That should be extremely feasible.

Especially if you start with guns that just have different names and stats but same models, and then you go from there.

Zomborgon posted:

The simplest way to add weapon classes would be to have one with higher crit rate and accuracy and the other with better base damage. I'd lean towards kinetics for the former and energy for the latter, unless perhaps you want to match explosive rounds with high-accuracy lasers. One has high-damage shots with a notable chance to do no damage vs. low-damage shots that have a notable chance to get good damage. Seems fairly balanced.

Without more (vanilla) stats to trick out, and range already dictated by class, that would seem simplest. The only other simple stat could be disallowing weapon add-ons; having higher-than-average overall stats could trump adaptability.

Splash damage or debuffs could be a thing, but that leaves all sorts of other concerns. Ammo mods already do most of that, anyway.

These are all good ideas.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Maybe some sidewinder missiles :v:

:vince:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm finding Jake Solomon's likeness to be very lacking in that dev pack.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Hrm.. something along the lines of

Ballistics>Gauss>Gravitic :Pure Damage tree
v
Laser>Plasma :Accuracy/Damage
v
Beam :Accuracy/Crit

Base Ballistics 2-4
Gauss 4-6 dmg
Laser 3-5 dmg +5 Acc
Gravitic 6-8 dmg
Plasma 5-7 dmg +5 Acc
Beam 4-6 dmg +5 Acc +5 crit

With going to t3 in any one branch locking you out of t3 in the other branches. Perhaps a plot devices that is used on researching that tier, and you only get 1 of them per in game year or some such.

Lunethex posted:

No snakes?

Here ya go.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

LibbyM posted:

I'm finding Jake Solomon's likeness to be very lacking in that dev pack.

The fact he isn't wearing a kick-me sign that instead says he's bad the game is a severe oversight.

Wrong person I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Hrm.. something along the lines of

Ballistics>Gauss>Gravitic :Pure Damage tree
v
Laser>Plasma :Accuracy/Damage
v
Beam :Accuracy/Crit

Base Ballistics 2-4
Gauss 4-6 dmg
Laser 3-5 dmg +5 Acc
Gravitic 6-8 dmg
Plasma 5-7 dmg +5 Acc
Beam 4-6 dmg +5 Acc +5 crit

With going to t3 in any one branch locking you out of t3 in the other branches. Perhaps a plot devices that is used on researching that tier, and you only get 1 of them per in game year or some such.

I love this balance breakdown, but "beam" is too similar to laser. Make the last tier be sonic to make it really stand out as a unique tech.

And so you can go all Dune on people's asses. (Well, the Lynch Dune anyways. Herbert had none of that nonsense)

You could also use railguns as a tech level (not the same as gauss weapons but similar). Gravimetric or Gravitic works too though and sounds even more advanced.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The fact that Jake's nickname is TEARDRINKER is absolutely glorious.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it's Hot Load and nothing he can ever do will change that

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Sonic weapons I see as a sidegrade at one of the tech levels. Perhaps a weapon system used to make capturing a subject easier, one that adds debuffs to a target like the Long War weapon jamming gun. Beam, in my mind, was a fusion beam, not a light laser, I didnt state that well. Think tiny nuclear reaction contained in a field and directed as a beam.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AlternateAccount posted:

The fact that Jake's nickname is TEARDRINKER is absolutely glorious.

Soothing Vapors posted:

it's Hot Load and nothing he can ever do will change that

I guess they wanted to keep the teen rating, sadly (and I assume dev content would have to conform to that, even optional packs). I'm still perplexed by the M rating on EU.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Will it be possible to do a goon character pack? Like if we all made ourselves, how easy would that be to collate into one pack?

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
So I think a really simple, nice mod to make would be one that replaces a mimic grenade's hologram of the soldier who threw it, with one of those on your memorial wall. Just so the fallen can continue to protect their comrades. :patriot:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whoah, Skulljacking spoilers: First time you skulljack an Advent Officer, you "Unlock access to enemy data codex." That LITERALLY causes a Codex to spawn on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'd like to see toxic weapons, personally. Guns with big bonuses against one enemy species but largely subpar against everything else. Sure, that is just micro managing poo poo for its own sake, but having options is fun.