Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

high six posted:

Any recommendations as to a good Banshee-3E build? Also, one for the Grasshopper? Am considering getting them during the sale.

Don't bother with the grasshopper unless you really love it, thunderbolts are better even with the sale factored in. Banshee-3E build is just 3 AC5's and then whatever flavor of lasers you want to add, I do 2 ppc's but it's better to do 2 large pulse.

http://metamechs.com/build-database/assault-mechs/

People need to look at metamechs more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Washout posted:

My cheetah pack also came with 30 days premium time, 3 variants including a 30% cbill boost invasion variant, only one warhorn tho.
Not according to PGI's storefront- it comes with no premium. It's also $30.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kodiak bought. No fucks given. I'll make myself enjoy it

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

novaSphere posted:

Urgh, the Hero Kodiak is the sole variant with MASC and has 4 Missile hardpoints.

Time to buy Abusive Dad

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

teepo posted:

mumble will be having a lot of 4 mech lances come may 17th

Did PGI actually say they are releasing new game mode(s) on the 17th? If so any idea where?

edit: found it
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/220982-february-road-map/

sarmhan posted:

Not according to PGI's storefront- it comes with no premium. It's also $30.

I'm pretty sure I got the preorder bonuses and it was $20. Looks to me like it's just blatant price gauging for the newest mech packs.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Washout posted:

Did PGI actually say they are releasing new game mode(s) on the 17th? If so any idea where?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to people running 4 mans so everyone could pilot their new shiny assault bears.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

How hard are c-bills to come by? Is 14 million a poo poo ton?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Washout posted:

edit: found it
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/220982-february-road-map/

Russ the GIANT IDIOT posted:

but the main change you’ll notice on the IS side is an overall policy change to limit all Energy Range Quirks to 10% across all IS ‘Mechs that possess an Energy Range Quirk. This should ensure that no IS ‘Mechs with ERLL will out-range a Clan counterpart, and overall I think this will bring the IS and Clan combat to an even better place than it is currently. The Patch Notes will contain full details on all of the Quirk changes.

What a loving retard, lets make it so that on all these giant peek and poke long range maps the clans are just flat out superior forever lol. Also lets base balance changes on what happens on the campaign map that everyone is multi boxing and manipulating for profit, that sounds like a great idea!

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 3, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Washout posted:

Don't bother with the grasshopper unless you really love it, thunderbolts are better even with the sale factored in. Banshee-3E build is just 3 AC5's and then whatever flavor of lasers you want to add, I do 2 ppc's but it's better to do 2 large pulse.

http://metamechs.com/build-database/assault-mechs/

People need to look at metamechs more often.

Merci. Didn't know about that site.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Washout posted:

I'm pretty sure I got the preorder bonuses and it was $20. Looks to me like it's just blatant price gauging for the newest mech packs.
Uh. I think you're completely mistaken.
The invasion packs have always started at $30 and only come with premium time on the higher tiers. The preorder bonuses were extra variants.
The new mech packs are actually as good if not better deals. Everything in this game is too expensive, but they haven't raised prices.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

With no premium youre looking at 150k per quick match with average performance.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

My flamers now have 118m range.

Time to turn up the heat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kilo147 posted:

It's a lot but not a crazy amount.

Some napkin math:

If you are halfway competent you should be able to do 150,000 c-bills per winning match without premium or a hero mech. This can be done with some really brain dead LRM boats if you just want to watch movies and grind or done with fun mechs if you're actually playing. Let's knock that down to 100,000 to take losses into account.

That would give you 1 million c-bills every 10 matches on average. 14 million would be 140 matches. If you played for an hour a day and were swapping into new mechs as soon as you died 10 matches an hour isn't unreasonable. At that rate it would take two weeks of playing.

So it's a lot, but not crazy. An hour a day isn't really poopsocking. If you decide to dive in on a weekend and do 5 hours straight you can rack some up pretty quickly.

That's also not assuming premium. Factor in premium and you can easily be talking about 200k wins.

edit: to put things in perspective I've been playing since november-ish and it says i have 700 matches under my belt. I might go a week where I play a bunch, and then another week where I don't touch it at all. According to my stats I also average 124k c-bills per match.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The steam pack cheetah with a cbill boost and premium is a crazy money fountain

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a lot but not a crazy amount.

Some napkin math:

If you are halfway competent you should be able to do 150,000 c-bills per winning match without premium or a hero mech. This can be done with some really brain dead LRM boats if you just want to watch movies and grind or done with fun mechs if you're actually playing. Let's knock that down to 100,000 to take losses into account.

That would give you 1 million c-bills every 10 matches on average. 14 million would be 140 matches. If you played for an hour a day and were swapping into new mechs as soon as you died 10 matches an hour isn't unreasonable. At that rate it would take two weeks of playing.

So it's a lot, but not crazy. An hour a day isn't really poopsocking. If you decide to dive in on a weekend and do 5 hours straight you can rack some up pretty quickly.

That's also not assuming premium. Factor in premium and you can easily be talking about 200k wins.

edit: to put things in perspective I've been playing since november-ish and it says i have 700 matches under my belt. I might go a week where I play a bunch, and then another week where I don't touch it at all. According to my stats I also average 124k c-bills per match.

You bump this average by hopefully playing a hero variant of some stripe and winning big for some 400-500k matches one or twice an hour as well, that significantly increases the amount you earn quickly. I'm not super good but I average even 100k on most of my losses and hit 450k wins about once or twice an hour, either by using a 30% cbill boost mech or getting over 700 damage. But I also have stupid amounts of premium time banked, so fwiw.

My base stats say I earn 124k per match but I used to play a lot without premium so I'm not sure how it calculates it or anything. New mechs do a lot more damage tho and I play with premium turned on so I'd say I'm bucking that average unless it's only been calculated for the last 30 days or something.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 4, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Right. I've heard the basics, all I need to to is get Mumble working and join up. And also figure out why my steam bootstrapper keeps crashing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I am in love with that hero kodiak paint job.

Since its a native-themed Dad I hereby dub it Tota.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I am in love with that hero kodiak paint job.

Since its a native-themed Dad I hereby dub it Tota.

Volibear.
Its a motherfucking armored bear.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It's basically a clan Dad

It's Papa Bear

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sebmojo posted:

The steam pack cheetah with a cbill boost and premium is a crazy money fountain

Do the steam packs ever go on Steam sale?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I want to say they were during the holiday sale.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Do the steam packs ever go on Steam sale?

Enhanced Steam says that the Light pack was on sale for $24.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
People buying the kodiak without seeing the actual in-game model are nuts. If those arms (with all the hardpoints) are low that's a huge blow against it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

A Curvy Goonette posted:

People buying the kodiak without seeing the actual in-game model are nuts. If those arms (with all the hardpoints) are low that's a huge blow against it.

Um are you blind? It has claws and can look like a carebear

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Curvy Goonette posted:

You don't mount your main guns there.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

Enhanced Steam says that the Light pack was on sale for $24.

Some SA-mart resellers can get discounts through regional shenanigans. I think Invictus was offering 15-20 for that on sale, but ran out of wallet funds during christmas.
checking there can be another way to get further - and stacking - discounts.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Washout posted:

You bump this average by hopefully playing a hero variant of some stripe and winning big for some 400-500k matches one or twice an hour as well, \

Yeah, I was purposefully shooting low. Point being that 14M, while a lot, isn't insane and can be ground by even a mediocre free player doing a few matches a day.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't really see the arms being used for much more than shields. Especially on the Papa Bear (I like that name), since 4x SRM6 and 2xUAC10 is all you really need. Unless it can jam an AC20 or UAC20 in. I'll probably run small lasers in all the arms anyway just for whatever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thronde posted:

Yeah, I don't really see the arms being used for much more than shields. Especially on the Papa Bear (I like that name), since 4x SRM6 and 2xUAC10 is all you really need. Unless it can jam an AC20 or UAC20 in. I'll probably run small lasers in all the arms anyway just for whatever.

If you can fit 2x UAC/10, you can absolutely roll with a UAC/20. It's less crits and tonnage.

It's also less dps and range.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 4, 2016

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Washout posted:

the campaign map that everyone is multi boxing and manipulating

I've been searching and can't find anything on this, anywhere.

Anecdotal evidence says it happens pretty much always vs. certain groups. What's the deal?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Washout posted:

Russ the GIANT IDIOT posted:

but the main change you’ll notice on the IS side is an overall policy change to limit all Energy Range Quirks to 10% across all IS ‘Mechs that possess an Energy Range Quirk. This should ensure that no IS ‘Mechs with ERLL will out-range a Clan counterpart, and overall I think this will bring the IS and Clan combat to an even better place than it is currently. The Patch Notes will contain full details on all of the Quirk changes.

Number 19, I haven't said this recently, but anecdotal evidence suggests that your boss is still a colossal fuckwit.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I don't see a problem with Clan having superior range. Just so long as there is enough cover on the map that a smarter IS player can use to close in.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress you PGI doing double xp on XCOM 2 weekend

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Number 19, I haven't said this recently, but anecdotal evidence suggests that your boss is still a colossal fuckwit.

I wonder what he will do after this change does nothing to combat the popularity of the ERLL.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bolow posted:

gently caress you PGI doing double xp on XCOM 2 weekend

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
The last time I gave pgi money before warhammers was the cheetah pack. It was a pre order and I got 30 days banked, 3 normal versions and an (I) version that has a 30% cbill bonus and a unique skin. You also got 1 faction pack that gave you colors and a warhorn from that faction(squawk horn and JF greens for me). I want to say you also got some Invasion colors because I have those and have ever only bought the one real money clan mech. I think I may have gotten a few more bonusea for buying super early.

Early adopter awards for the packs are much better than those for the single mech packs, so a wait and see isn't too bad of a thing.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

If you can fit 2x UAC/10, you can absolutely roll with a UAC/20. It's less crits and tonnage.

It's also less dps and range.

Wait, 2x Call UAC10s puts out more dps than the UAC20? How? They shouldn't cycle that much faster

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Do builds at smurfy's not get flagged if a patch makes them impossible to build now? I am trying to outfit a king crab and it says I can't have endo steel, because I'm broke, but also because I don't have free slots, and I don't know what this means, and I already took everything out that wasn't in the final build i.e. missiles. I haven't even put extra ammo in the legs like it says to so that should be free slots right there. I got the crab with the least missile hardpoints, the 000, and this is the only one without a build in the OP so I feel cool that I spent all my pity cadet money on the wrong crab.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thronde posted:

Wait, 2x Call UAC10s puts out more dps than the UAC20? How? They shouldn't cycle that much faster

2.5sec cycle time vs 4.00 sec cycle time.

If you have the tonnage/crits for 2 UAC/10s but not 2 UAC/20s, always go with 2 UAC/10s.

Another important aspect is that you get more damage per ton of ammo for AC/10s than 20s. PGI please.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

A Curvy Goonette posted:

This is true. The Warham looks like poo poo in-game compared to the concept art.

And what will it be next Kilo? You don't have to try so hard. Pykkuu has only needed "I don't have a mic." for 3 years.

• Locked thread