Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think the term also applies to civilians from that time because for the most part their lives basically revolved around supplying the army so your country could win throughout most of the war years. If you weren't fighting you were toiling away 7 days a week making poo poo or mining things or picking through every scrap of waste to recover what you could.

Could you imagine what todays narcissistic, self absorbed fuckwits would do if they couldn't pig out on garbage for their Instagram accounts or buy a new phone every 8 months because those resources were needed to fight some psycho hell bent on gassing everyone to death?

Come to think of it I really hope there's a nuclear war or a mass famine or a plague in my lifetime. If I survive everyone will worship me as a hero for existing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Strategic Tea posted:

Come to think of it I really hope there's a nuclear war or a mass famine or a plague in my lifetime. If I survive everyone will worship me as a hero for existing!

I'm pretty sure if the Greatest Generation knew what the world would turn into a few short decades later they'd have just let Hitler win, if not join him outright. And I don't blame them.

I don't think I'd want to survive a nuclear war really - a world with no running water, electricity or food is not something I look forward to. I would, however, die happy knowing that millions of other Millennials were snuffed out in an instant while the survivors lived in agony as the world turned into something out of Mad Max.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm pretty sure if the Greatest Generation knew what the world would turn into a few short decades later they'd have just let Hitler win, if not join him outright. And I don't blame them.

I don't think I'd want to survive a nuclear war really - a world with no running water, electricity or food is not something I look forward to. I would, however, die happy knowing that millions of other Millennials were snuffed out in an instant while the survivors lived in agony as the world turned into something out of Mad Max.

I could see Ted Cruz as Immortan Joe.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

"to build a new civilization based upon "absolute economic security" for the individual, where "they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid.""

Sounds great, but I think I was thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mad Monk posted:

I remember Gen X being called the MTV Generation which was pretty cool back in the day.

that would really confuse people familiar only with the modern incarnation of MTV

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Gen x is the most cucked generation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Of all the things to be disappointed about, self flagellation over a fantasy of what granddad was like is the worst.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Psychotic Weasel posted:

More like the cuckedest generation :smug:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
you just know that the kind of bad rear end post where you don't even care that much if you die and leave behind your 1 room apartment that smells of sweat and rear end as long as it means that the fail millennials like the ones in the gif with the happy milleniall mom, dad and 2 kids die, as well, is born by the kind of anti-establishment attitude that is only possible to attain by being a Gen X'er who put Kurt Cobain and Che Guevera on Hot Topic tshirts and watched MTV back when MTV still had those weird acid-trippy claymation shorts that millennials have probably only seen re-created 100 % faithfully and flawlessly in every single episode of Family Guy ever

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Grandmother of Five posted:

you just know that the kind of bad rear end post where you don't even care that much if you die and leave behind your 1 room apartment that smells of sweat and rear end as long as it means that the fail millennials like the ones in the gif with the happy milleniall mom, dad and 2 kids die, as well, is born by the kind of anti-establishment attitude that is only possible to attain by being a Gen X'er who put Kurt Cobain and Che Guevera on Hot Topic tshirts and watched MTV back when MTV still had those weird acid-trippy claymation shorts that millennials have probably only seen re-created 100 % faithfully and flawlessly in every single episode of Family Guy ever
i usually don't agree with FYAD posters but...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Good to see older Gen X'ers move into the position now that their Boomer parents had when they were young, i.e. chastizing and whining about the youngest members of the generation immediately following them. Only 10 more years until you start waving your canes and whinging about how Daria was REAL tv.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

is that andrew wk?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ape Fist posted:

Good to see older Gen X'ers move into the position now that their Boomer parents had when they were young, i.e. chastizing and whining about the youngest members of the generation immediately following them. Only 10 more years until you start waving your canes and whinging about how Daria was REAL tv.

Older Gen Xers are way too old for Daria. I was like 15 when that show came out and I'm technically a Millennial.

naem
May 29, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Older Gen Xers are way too old for Daria. I was like 15 when that show came out and I'm technically a Millennial.

Older gen x are p much baby boomers, I'm a millennial (just) and I remember a lot of gen x era stuff fondly this whole generation thing is bad and so are we all

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Horniest Manticore posted:

is that andrew wk?

casey jones, boob

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

naem posted:

Older gen x are p much baby boomers, I'm a millennial (just) and I remember a lot of gen x era stuff fondly this whole generation thing is bad and so are we all

Just looked it up and older gen xers are in their late 50's. Remember the 90's when all those 40 year olds couldn't stop watching Daria?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Just looked it up and older gen xers are in their late 50's. Remember the 90's when all those 40 year olds couldn't stop watching Daria?
the oldest Gen Xers are barely 51 right now

i see your point but i felt the need to correct you

naem
May 29, 2011

A thirty year old, a 15 year old and a new born baby are in the same generation and all three are terrible and bad

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

naem posted:

A thirty year old, a 15 year old and a new born baby are in the same generation and all three are terrible and bad
no?

gen Z started around the late 90s, so the 30 y/o is not the same generation as the teenager and baby.

naem
May 29, 2011

symbolic posted:

no?

gen Z started around the late 90s, so the 30 y/o is not the same generation as the teenager and baby.

A generation is 30 years or am I wrong (in addition to being bad, I'm bad)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

naem posted:

A generation is 30 years or am I wrong (in addition to being bad, I'm bad)
it varies, but averages 20 years.

boomers = '46 through early 60s
Gen X = early 60s through early 80s
millennials = early 80s through mid-90s
Gen Z = late 90s through present day

naem
May 29, 2011

symbolic posted:

My baby boomer parents didn't teach me see this its there they're fault, I want a trophy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ape Fist posted:

Daria was REAL tv.

This but Rockos modern life

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah you're probably right. But keep in mind 'young' Gen X'ers are in their mid-late 30s and the mid-90s was 20 years ago. I'm 29 and I exist in that weird cusp-area as well where I identify with a lot of the stuff both groups identify with. I still think Tumblr is loving lame as poo poo though. Livejournal and DeviantArt meltdowns all the way BABY.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

I only watch Muppet Babies and Bowling for Dollars.

naem
May 29, 2011

Grandpa rocking contentedly back and forth in a nursing home, humming weezily "I want to gently caress you like an ANIMAL hhmm hmm HMM hmm"

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

naem posted:

Grandpa rocking contentedly back and forth in a nursing home, humming weezily "SLOWLY WALKIN' DOWN THE HALL, FASTER THAN A CANNONBALL, WHERE WHERE YOU WHILE WEEEE WERE GETTIN' HIGH."

UK edit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NO MY FIRST NAME AINT BABY ITS JANET MISS JACKSON IF YO NASTY
\

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

naem posted:

Grandpa rocking contentedly back and forth in a nursing home, humming weezily "I want to gently caress you like an ANIMAL hhmm hmm HMM hmm"

That's me today

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

boomers = '46 through early 60s
Gen X = early 60s through early 80s
millennials = early 80s through mid-90s
Gen Z = late 90s through present day

People lump greatest in with silent generation which had a very short time span 30s -45.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

grandma trying to be hip

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

lmao @ all these basic as gently caress setups

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like the little lanyard that one woman has for quick access - smart

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

But actually Duck Man

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's that idea called where everybody gets enough income to live off of even if they don't work?

Obama's America

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

grandma trying to be hip

Gramma's the one who drove 2 of them there because she has a car.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's that idea called where everybody gets enough income to live off of even if they don't work?

A Thing That's Totally Doable Just By Taking a Small Fraction of Every Billionaire and Millionaire's Net Worth and Income But It'll Never Happen Ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

NESguerilla posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot I was divorced too when i posted that fml.

Whoa

What does the vagina feel like bro???

• Locked thread