Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

You have enough people with real power to run a Vintage FNM? You need 8 people to sanction you know.

Yeah mox boarding house holds one week a month. Usually gets 20-40 players actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Maybe just let them play with the proxy cards - problem solved?

Yes that seems like a thing you should do after WotC makes a point of saying "only legit cards in sanctioned events"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just because it will be funny, what did he try to pass with photocopies? Please let it be some $0.50 giant green creature.

Fetches, Jace

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Were his photocopies double sided?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

How so, like removing the exile clause? I don't know how you would do that, you kind of need it to be in a zone in order to cast it. I think madness is fine, as most of the actual complexity doesn't come up 99% of the time, and when it does, it is only because two high level players are trying to exploit edge cases.

You can't functionally change it, but its possible they might make the reminder text a little more streamlined. As I said, the only way in practice it's unusual is that MODO makes you deal with it in a super weird way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pontius Pilate posted:

Were his photocopies double sided?

We didn't bother looking

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

Somehow YGO and FOW both manage to appease both collectors and players alike by having cheap starter deck reprints of useful cards and super ultra rare versions, but MTG can't seem to do this. :iiam:

Yugioh is nice enough to mass reprint its $300 mythic rare broken JtMS, but only because it also bans them and releases a new $300 mythic rare broken JtMS at the same time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I feel like people think I'm making this up but I've also heard people argue passionately in favor of mana burn when Burning Tree Shaman was a Thing, say that Mindtwist shouldn't be banned in Legacy, and that Griselband isn't broken as hell in EDH

I work in a card shop. Magic players are just that loving stupid.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kalli posted:

They probably don't want snapcaster and Lili in standard, but I don't see why they couldn't just put them in packs ala expeditions.

Pick 5-10 greatest hits from the original block and you've got a reason for people to crack even more packs then BFZ. Won't help prices pretty much at all, but oh well.

That was what the rumor was (that sounded a lot like bullshit): that they would have a new "expeditions" set called "Echoes of Innistrad."

I don't buy that at all because you'd have to do it every set if you did it again right after BFZ.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yugioh is nice enough to mass reprint its $300 mythic rare broken JtMS, but only because it also bans them and releases a new $300 mythic rare broken JtMS at the same time.

Yeah YGO and it's absurd secondary market is not a thing you should be pointing at as a good example of literally anything

For example ASK me about only getting one shipment of a new set, approx five boxes, because Konamis print runs are fuckin stupid

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Meanwhile, when are we getting our new, better Birthing Pod and Splinter Twin, wizard$$$??

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I want my creature that I can easily play on turn 2 that wipes the board of everything but itself for 3 life that wins in 3 swings.

And for that to become irrelevant.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

You have enough people with real power to run a Vintage FNM? You need 8 people to sanction you know.

You can sanction a Casual Event in a given format with four

Citation: I have to use WER a couple times a week

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

That was what the rumor was (that sounded a lot like bullshit): that they would have a new "expeditions" set called "Echoes of Innistrad."

I don't buy that at all because you'd have to do it every set if you did it again right after BFZ.

Personally I think it'd be good for the health of the game. Gives a good reason for people to keep cracking packs and make standard cheaper. Could theme the cards to a plane for revisits and to the 'oh gently caress this is expensive' for new planes or do really anything with it. I just started drafting in person with BFZ, but the excitement for expeditions seemed pretty drat high and consistent.

Probably half the ones opened at those drafts were immediately traded into the store for more packs / singles, so stores would probably be pretty happy about it. And hey, might as well give collectors hideously expensive bennies to acquire.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Why would this be bad?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Telex posted:

Why would this be bad?

Because it's stupid as hell to do all the time

It'd be a cool thing to bring back every couple years, every single set? Nah

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Turtlicious posted:

Buy an Aggro Infect because it's fallen out of the meta, but is still standard legal, you can kill T4

Cheap competitive decks are pretty easy to buy, it's just that you'll always want or need something. Like I want 4 inkmoths in my deck, but I'm not going to pay $40 / 50 TiX for it.

Not sure what format you're talking about, and I know you can get budget decks. But they usually aren't $10 bucks, and every budget choice or expensive card you cut drops your win percentage, and pretty soon its to the point where you can only steal wins sometimes, and that's not what I consider competitive.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
expeditions as a way to reprint too-powerful cards for modern/legacy seems not bad. if there is only going to be a modern masters set every 2 years you're basically blocking a lot of cards from being reprinted. tarmo, lili, snaps, etc are too good for the current idea of what standard should be. restricting them to reprinting once every two years in a limited run set is just going to continue their price increase

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

born on a buy you posted:

expeditions as a way to reprint too-powerful cards for modern/legacy seems not bad. if there is only going to be a modern masters set every 2 years you're basically blocking a lot of cards from being reprinted. tarmo, lili, snaps, etc are too good for the current idea of what standard should be. restricting them to reprinting once every two years in a limited run set is just going to continue their price increase

How is printing a more expensive version of a card a good way to reprint it?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mcmagic posted:

how is increasing overall supply bad

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mcmagic posted:

"Limited Reprint" is a better option than "Full Reprint", but a worse option than "No Reprint".

If "Full Reprint" is not an option, "Limited Reprint" becomes the best option.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niton posted:

"Limited Reprint" is a better option than "Full Reprint", but a worse option than "No Reprint".

If "Full Reprint" is not an option, "Limited Reprint" becomes the best option.

What about super super limited reprint? I don't think it helps much.

how is increasing overall supply bad

It's not bad per se but it's not a substitute for a real reprint.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
current_supply = x
current_supply + limited_reprint = x + 2
current_supply + no_reprint = x

which one of those is bigger? if a full reprint _is_not_possible_ this is a good substitute.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

current_supply = x

which one of those is bigger?

Hmm yes you're right that's why Goyfs, which have been reprinted in much larger quantities than expos, have seen such a big dip in price

Come on man

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Literally The Worst posted:

Hmm yes you're right that's why Goyfs, which have been reprinted in much larger quantities than expos, have seen such a big dip in price

Come on man

what do you think they would cost if they hadn't been reprinted? it's definitely more what they're worth now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

what do you think they would cost if they hadn't been reprinted? it's definitely more what they're worth now.

So much larger print runs only make a price hold steady, what does that tell you about incredibly small print runs

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"demand increased greatly while supply increased slightly. had supply not increased at all the price would totally be the same in both situations" - a smart person.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

current_supply = x

which one of those is bigger? if a full reprint _is_not_possible_ this is a good substitute.

If it makes a 70 dollar version of a 40 dollar card that needs a reprint I'm not sure how that helps your average magic player.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mcmagic posted:

If it makes a 70 dollar version of a 40 dollar card that needs a reprint I'm not sure how that helps your average magic player.

the presence of the $70 version decreased demand for the $40 slightly. it is not a fix for price problems, but it does help. i'm really not sure how this is a hard concept to grasp. increasing supply, even if by a minuscule amount, is better than not increasing at all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"demand increased greatly while supply increased slightly. had supply not increased at all the price would totally be the same in both situations" - a smart person.

Show me where I said that, instead of making the argument that expeditions will not have an appreciable impact on prices because they exist in such small quantities, thus making them a bad way to control prices

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the presence of the $70 version decreased demand for the $40 slightly. it is not a fix for price problems, but it does help. i'm really not sure how this is a hard concept to grasp. increasing supply, even if by a minuscule amount, is better than not increasing at all

In the sense that throwing a glass of water on a burning house is better than watching it burn

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

About $120 of help.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"any solution that doesn't completely fix a problem isn't worth doing at all. even if it slightly lessens the pain" - an adult

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Magic cards do not have normal supply curves because magic players have price memory issues and won't sell their stormbreath dragon they bought for $30 for less because it's gonna be worth that much again someday!!!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"any solution that doesn't completely fix a problem isn't worth doing at all. even if it slightly lessens the pain" - an adult

These are cool and accurate representations of my posts and good ones for you to make while trying to claim some kind of intellectual superiority

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That hasn't happened with expeditions though. Even if you were right and it's decreasing the rate in which the prices rise it's still, like you said, a minuscule impact and not a good way to reprint cards that need to be reprinted.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I agree totally on lili but I'm not sure either goyf or snap would be out of line with current standard. A lot of people seem to be saying this standard is low-power, but that's really only the case for the non-creature spells. The big thing about snapcaster is it could impact how future spells would be designed, but I don't think the instants that are floating around now would make it a choice over flip-Jace. And Sylvan Advocate isn't gonna be that far off from goyf power-wise, and is oftentimes better in Standard.

The big issue is it seems they're unwilling to print spells that have that same type of power.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

In the sense that throwing a glass of water on a burning house is better than watching it burn

lol yeah the supply of magic cards is directly comparable to a house burning down

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ShaneB posted:

About $120 of help.

You're reading it backwards. The new version costs more. This does not make the old one cost significantly less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lol yeah the supply of magic cards is directly comparable to a house burning down

What's a metaphor

• Locked thread