Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Alleric posted:

After 10 years of dutiful service our Krups drip rig finally did it's occasional wonky thing on a morning where everyone in the house was in a hurry to get out the door. Counter was a mess, the brew tasted like rear end. I just pulled an extra double and made my wife a latte to take with her for the drive, but I guess this time was enough to raise even her ire.

New hotness arrives Friday.

What's that, Amazon Warehouse Deals? Box is slightly damaged so you're taking 60 bucks off? Well... if you must...

This is a kickass drip machine and you'll be very happy with it. We've had ours for a little over a year and it's easy enough that my wife will actually make coffee. Which reminds me, she made coffee before heading to work, time to go have another cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Are the hand grinders any good for espresso machines? And if so, is the Hario Slim one of them?
I have a semi auto machine (Sage BES970UK aka the Breville Barista Express) which has its own grinder, but I want a small grinder for one-offs of other beans

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. It's possible as a last ditch thing but you're going to look like this.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

This is the only manual hand grinder you should use for espresso. Oh god it's finally in stock again someone stop me.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

This is the only manual hand grinder you should use for espresso. Oh god it's finally in stock again someone stop me.

Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiittttttttt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dik-dik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nB-qSByDJY

Fun starts at the 4 min mark

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

becoming posted:

This is a kickass drip machine and you'll be very happy with it. We've had ours for a little over a year and it's easy enough that my wife will actually make coffee. Which reminds me, she made coffee before heading to work, time to go have another cup.

Trip report: This thing is absolutely as reputed. It's stupid good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That thing looks like it was designed with no attention paid to ergonomics and use. The filling port, the way you empty it (which seems like you will never get it completely empty), the way you have to hold it while cranking it...all leave a lot to be desired.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I see almost nothing to be desired there, though it might look cool on your shelf. It's like the human equivalent of this: http://www.amazon.com/OurPets-Smarter-Interactive-Inches-Colors/dp/B003ARUKTG

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That thing looks like it was designed with no attention paid to ergonomics and use. The filling port, the way you empty it (which seems like you will never get it completely empty), the way you have to hold it while cranking it...all leave a lot to be desired.

It comes with a doctor's reflex hammer for emptying the grinding chamber :mediocre:

Combine it with this pour over brewer and it's the shelf space wasting killer combo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For $300 I feel like you'd be better off gutting a baratza and reassembling it with a hand crank as a DIY project.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitro in a can is gross. The keg is better but still weird.

For my cold brew at home I used a virtuoso baratza grinder set to #27. I use the filtron pitcher to brew for 16 hours in the fridge. I use beans that I've had cold brew from (stumptown, verve, coava) so I can try to get the process down.

The coffee I make tastes a little.... Dark. It's just not quite as fruity or sweet as the others. I've tried adding more or less water to the concentrate for each cup I make and I can't get it there.

Any suggestions?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, if I were to get a pharos I would absolutely need this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXqeMWGw0U.

The main appeal is that you get giant 68mm burrs which are otherwise impossible to find in a sub-$1.5K grinder.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 2, 2016

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

The main appeal is that you get giant 68mm burrs which are otherwise impossible to find in a sub-$1.5K grinder.

IIRC the bottom compartment of the new redesigned Pharos is made of anti-static plastic and is funneled, which probably removes the need for the reflex hammer antics from before, possibly also the catchment mod? In this video (2:55) it only takes a couple shakes to get the grounds out (admittedly still not ideal, but much better). It also showcases the OE guy's crazy beard.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

dik-dik posted:

That looks so much better you wonder why the manufacture didn't just make it that way.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Someone talk me out of buying the used Silvia V2 I just found for sub 250 on craigslist.

Please.

Really.

Spending 400-500 bucks just on coffee hardware in one week seems a bit... rash...

(but a couple of the valve grommets and gaskets are going bad on the Gaggia and it's no longer made so parts are kind of a pain and a...AHHHHMAKEITSTOP...)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

Someone talk me out of buying the used Silvia V2 I just found for sub 250 on craigslist.

Please.

Really.

Spending 400-500 bucks just on coffee hardware in one week seems a bit... rash...

(but a couple of the valve grommets and gaskets are going bad on the Gaggia and it's no longer made so parts are kind of a pain and a...AHHHHMAKEITSTOP...)
Get the Silvia - that's a great price for a great machine.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That's a screaming deal as long as it heats up and doesn't leak or trip a GFCI (TEST IT FIRST). Stick a PID on it and you have a very capable machine. Also they hold their value like crazy so if you don't like it you should be able to get ~$400 for it from the next upgrader.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Yeah, I have an email in to the seller already. I think I can sell this to the wife as an early birthday present/killer deal that's kinda too good to pass up.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yep, highly recommend it at that price. I paid $350 for my gen 3 a year or so ago which was a steal.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I'm a bit concerned as the filters look stained in the pics the seller sent and when I asked if he had a blind basket or a backflush disc they didn't know what I was asking about. We live in an area with very hard water and I'm scared to death the thing's never been descaled as well.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Stained by what, coffee? That's easily cleaned up and doesn't indicate abuse. Most Silvia owners that I come across don't know what backflushing is but that rarely causes any problems other then a partially clogged solenoid (which can quickly be cured by backflushing). Even if the machine's never been descaled and the boiler is literally chock full of scale, as long as the heating element isn't damaged it can be cleaned up and will work just fine. Worst case scenario you have to open up the boiler and physically clean it out. The GFCI test should give you a pretty clear indicator of the health of the boiler, make sure it's allowed to come up to full temp too.

PM me the listing if you want another set of eyes on it, I promise I won't buy it out from under you (I have two Silvias already).

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

bizwank posted:

Stained by what, coffee? That's easily cleaned up and doesn't indicate abuse. Most Silvia owners that I come across don't know what backflushing is but that rarely causes any problems other then a partially clogged solenoid (which can quickly be cured by backflushing). Even if the machine's never been descaled and the boiler is literally chock full of scale, as long as the heating element isn't damaged it can be cleaned up and will work just fine. Worst case scenario you have to open up the boiler and physically clean it out. The GFCI test should give you a pretty clear indicator of the health of the boiler, make sure it's allowed to come up to full temp too.

PM me the listing if you want another set of eyes on it, I promise I won't buy it out from under you (I have two Silvias already).

Yeah, I was just using those things as little mental notes about the person. If they didn't bother to clean certain things up, yet put the machine on a nice carved wooden pedestal and took a bokeh-mad pic for craigslist it maybe tells me some things about them. Things I can use at point of purchase. ;)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm sitting in a coffee shop, drinking a cup of pour over, and all I can hear in my head is the stoner pour talking.

That loving video

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Archenteron posted:

I'm sitting in a coffee shop, drinking a cup of pour over, and all I can hear in my head is the stoner pour talking.

That loving video

Damnit, I hate you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rockcity posted:

Damnit, I hate you.

gently caress both of you for reminding me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

close the thread until I forget

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

rockcity posted:

God dammit. This should be probatable in this thread.

Seriously where are the mods???

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

dik-dik posted:

Seriously where are the mods???

They're busy pouring water from one gooseneck kettle to another gooseneck kettle.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
I'm surprised half of you don't have an avatar from the clip.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've been buying my beans from a local roaster, and I've noticed that when I grind their beans there is a lot of lighter-colored chaff. My grinder charges this stuff with static electricity and it sticks to everything. I'm supposing that this chaff is an indicator of how the roaster is processing their beans, but could this have an effect on my cuppa coffee?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Copper Vein posted:

I've been buying my beans from a local roaster, and I've noticed that when I grind their beans there is a lot of lighter-colored chaff. My grinder charges this stuff with static electricity and it sticks to everything. I'm supposing that this chaff is an indicator of how the roaster is processing their beans, but could this have an effect on my cuppa coffee?
Probably giving you cancer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Copper Vein posted:

Those are almost certainly dried skins. I'm surprised a commercial roaster doesn't have a process for separating them, but I get plenty in my home roasts because picking 100% of them out by hand feels a little obsessive.

I admit do not having the most sophisticated palate, but I haven't noticed a negative effect on taste, nor have I gotten cancer yet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Picked up a Baratza Preciso last Friday and I'm really digging it. Didn't expect such a huge difference in my low-effort pour overs, but drat they're way better now.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So I bought a thing.

As expected the dude I had been communicating with was not the user of the machine. Long story short, his now-ex-girlfriend convinced him to buy it several years ago. She used it a handful of times and it sat on the counter for ages, then sat in a cabinet for ages. He said it's probably seen maybe 20-30 uses, ever. The brew group is immaculate, it has no obvious aesthetic issues, and basically looks like a thing that has sat and collected dust for several years.

Plugged it in, fired it up. Pump fires and is amazingly quiet, element is working as within minutes the output water was warm. Only downside? The steam valve won't open. Given where I live, it is almost assuredly calcification from remainder water left after the boiler was last drained.

He was "shocked" the valve wouldn't open given how "meticulous" the user of the machine was. Whatever.

230 out the door with all the documentation, accessories and a couple of really crappy tampers.

I'll throw some Dezcal in it tonight and let it sit. If I can't open it by tomorrow morning I'll look into tearing it open.

Edit: 2 hour Dezcal bath unlocked it. It's 100% functional now as far as I can tell. Will try it in the morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alleric fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 5, 2016

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So how do you guys clean your aluminum moka pots? I understand using detergent is a big no-no but my months old Mokapot is now showing brown spots ("rust") in the bottom vessel that hold the water, and I'd like to get them off. I figure I can "recoat" the pot afterwards. I've looked online and I can only find he said she said's so I'm asking here to see if anybody has tried cleaning it.

Not my picture, but it sort of looks like this:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's most likely not rust, just coffee stain. I don't know if you'd want to use vinegar or another acid in aluminium.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Why are detergents a no-no?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I really have no idea how it would react with Aluminum, but we've cleaned coffee stains off of numerous surfaces by wetting them and then dusting heavily with baking soda. Wait a couple minutes and it all comes up. I've rescued more than a few total-mahogany-coated coffee pots with that. Other than that you can go with some coffee equipment specific items like Urnex Cleancaf which has some surfactants in it specific to cleaning coffee residue, but I've honestly had the best luck with baking soda.

Trip report on the Silvia: Took about 30 minutes to totally heat up. Steam is totally functional, brew is totally functional. Did the standard surf run to steam the milk, purge, drop the boiler, brew off the peak and it was a slow and steady crema factory. Shot was thick and sweet, easy peasy. Now it's only a couple more days until these beans I hate are gone and I can switch to my Natural Yerg I have waiting in the wings.

The coffee corner has been completely gutted in the past week. Slightly surreal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, baking soda is a loving wonder cleaner. I've cleaned all sorts of poo poo with it. It's worked really well on aluminum pots and pans of mine so I imagine it will work great on this. For the worst stains you might have to leave it on for a couple of hours (i've even left it overnight) but it has yet to let me down.