Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadmau5 is remixing the entire place up it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I read something interesting on plex forums with regards to that a little while ago, where it was talked about how it doesn't necessarily matter if the client hardware kicks out a native 24p signal.

If the TV can accept a 24p in 60hz signal, then you get the same picture as if it was 24>24, and so it doesn't matter that my Apple TV is stuck at 50/60. Haven't been able to test because I'm between setups, but it sounds encouraging. And it's typical video bullshit that none of it really makes logical sense.

Sure, if the TV does reverse 3:2 pulldown properly then you will get 24p displayed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and the belief was that was very common in most non-bargain basement TVs of the last 10 years. I'm looking at getting an LG OLED screen in the next year or so though, and the pull down compatibility listed on rtings isn't 100% in the clear, but hopefully works fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sent from my iPad posted:

Does anyone know if anything Plex runs on other than a PC can output at 24 fps?

My chromecast does not output at 24 fps. I must have been thinking about that other thing I used before I started using plex (some sort of 2011 knockoff wdtv thing made by a company I'd never heard of)

PS4 also doesn't output at 24 fps with Plex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

All of a sudden my brother is having issues streaming from my server. He's getting the "your connection to the server is not fast enough" error when trying to stream from his desktop/laptop and playback from the roku just craps out and buffers into oblivion after a few seconds. He was able to stream from my server just fine a few weeks back. I asked a few other friends and family to stream from their respective remote devices and they have no issues at all. I logged into my brothers router to see if anything changed, but everything looks the way it did when I set up his stuff. I updated the firmware on the router to see if that would make a difference. Nope. Any reason why this would happen all of a sudden?

Should note that I also asked him to play something on his phone using his cell data and he's able to playback stuff from the server just fine. I tried disabling secure connections on my server, changed the forwarded server port, and flip flopped DNS settings not knowing if any of that would help. It didn't. I'm hilariously stumped at the moment. Is his ISP trolling him or something?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

Should note that I also asked him to play something on his phone using his cell data and he's able to playback stuff from the server just fine. I tried disabling secure connections on my server, changed the forwarded server port, and flip flopped DNS settings not knowing if any of that would help. It didn't. I'm hilariously stumped at the moment. Is his ISP trolling him or something?

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible he's got some malware installed on a system on his network, or is running a bunch of torrents or doing something that could be tying up bandwidth? Did you check his connection with something like speedtest.net?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible he's got some malware installed on a system on his network, or is running a bunch of torrents or doing something that could be tying up bandwidth? Did you check his connection with something like speedtest.net?

Yeah first thing i did was run a speed test. Bandwidth is solid. 30 up 30 down; he doesn't run torrents or anything. I'll tell him to run malware bytes later today.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

Yeah first thing i did was run a speed test. Bandwidth is solid. 30 up 30 down; he doesn't run torrents or anything. I'll tell him to run malware bytes later today.

The only thing I can think of is, assuming his normal browsing/downloading isn't having any problems, try moving specifically to port 443 if you can. If his ISP is being lovely in some way they should hopefully be leaving that port specifically alone.

Or maybe he changed something without telling you. Can the Roku Plex app be forced into high/original quality?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rule out the ISP by using a VPN (a free one should be fine).
Test the throughout with it connected via speedtest to check you have enough bitrate to stream what you want, then try PLEX.

It's definitely possible the ISP are doing some traffic shaping, perhaps at peak times or after he's hit a certain Gb per day/week whatever.
If it's certainly the ISP then change the port, if that doesn't work use 443 as they shouldn't be shaping on that port.

High traffic on high port numbers is often P2P and some ISPs are complete shitlers about it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Should I be changing the manually specified port in the Plex server settings to 443? Because when I do that, my server can't establish remote access connections. What's weird is I had my Plex server port manually mapped to 52400 and my server was reachable outside my home network just fine. I changed it back to the default 32400 to see if that would help my brothers issues. It didn't. Then when I tried to put my manually specified port back to 52400, the server can't establish remote access anymore. Everything is properly forwarded on my router too, and every other program that requires a forwarded port on my server is working just fine. I can only establish remote access for Plex if the port is 32400. It won't take any other port now. What the hell.

[edit] Would deleting all the windows firewall rules that have the word Plex in it do anything?

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 30, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just rule the firewall out completely by turning it off to troubleshoot; it's really unnecessary behind a NAT anyway. You may also want to power cycle all the components where the port number has changed to rule out something sticking. If everything still looks OK settings wise, you can probe the ports to see if they're visible from outside your LAN. (port should be open to a ping)

'netstat -a -o' from a command prompt will show you all the connections, including those listening and the process ID. Check the port there is what you expect. (Add the PID column to process explorer so you can see which belong to PLEX).

You want to try 443 because ISPs probably don't shape that port. However by the same token, some ISPs will block incoming access to 80/443 because they have rules against running a webserver.
ISPs suckass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, shut off windows firewall. Changed Plex forwarded port to 52400 on my router. Power cycled the router/modem and the server itself. Manually specified port 52400 in the Plex settings on the server, mapping still fails. Looking at the data that netstat -a -o spits out, I see port 32400 (which I know is the default internal port for Plex) but I don't see port 52400 listed anywhere.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

Ok, shut off windows firewall. Changed Plex forwarded port to 52400 on my router. Power cycled the router/modem and the server itself. Manually specified port 52400 in the Plex settings on the server, mapping still fails. Looking at the data that netstat -a -o spits out, I see port 32400 (which I know is the default internal port for Plex) but I don't see port 52400 listed anywhere.

Huh.

Well scrub that for a diagnostic aide, seems PLEX will always use 32400 as it's local port. That's pretty poorly explained in their options.
So, then, in summary you want your PLEX server options set to 52400, manual.
You want a mapping in your router pointing WAN port 52400 to LAN port 32400

I'm not sure how it was working for you before if it wasn't set-up that way, it must have done uPNP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Huh.

Well scrub that for a diagnostic aide, seems PLEX will always use 32400 as it's local port. That's pretty poorly explained in their options.
So, then, in summary you want your PLEX server options set to 52400, manual.
You want a mapping in your router pointing WAN port 52400 to LAN port 32400

I'm not sure how it was working for you before if it wasn't set-up that way, it must have done uPNP.

Weird. I've always had UPnP/NAT-PMP disabled in my router settings. Literally all I did to get it working before was set the manual port in the Plex server settings to 52400, then went into my router's port forwarding table, added an entry for my Plex server to forward that port, and it worked without any issue. Now it's being a bitch all of a sudden and I have no idea why. It won't take any manual port I enter, despite properly forwarding it in my router settings.

Weird thing is if I uncheck the 'manually specify port' in my server settings, remove the Plex server entry from my port forwarding table, and then enable UPnP/NAT-PMP, my router and Plex server agree on some random port to forward and auto-configures a remote accessible connection just fine. The gently caress is this poo poo, it's so annoying. Just let me manually specify my port Plex Media Server :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just to be sure, your router can map different port numbers? I've seen some lovely ISP-supplied units that just offer a port number and an IP; it definitely needs you to take the external port [52400], and map it to 32400.
If it can only mirror then 32400 and/or UPnP would be your only options.

http://canyouseeme.org/ should help determine if you are getting proper port forwards. Set up something else (a P2P program will do) listening internally on port 30000 and have your router point 50000 to 30000. Stick 50000 in the site and see if it gets a reply.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Just to be sure, your router can map different port numbers? I've seen some lovely ISP-supplied units that just offer a port number and an IP; it definitely needs you to take the external port [52400], and map it to 32400.
If it can only mirror then 32400 and/or UPnP would be your only options.

http://canyouseeme.org/ should help determine if you are getting proper port forwards. Set up something else (a P2P program will do) listening internally on port 30000 and have your router point 50000 to 30000. Stick 50000 in the site and see if it gets a reply.

Yes, my router is pretty capable. I have Comcast internet but I supplied my own router (running Gargoyle) and modem. I have a torrent web interface that has ports forwarded so I can access it anywhere and it shows up under canyouseeme.org instantly. When I try to access port 52400 it times out. I mapped my Plex server port manually back to 32400 and forwarded that port in my router settings and I'm able to get remote access just fine and it shows up on canyouseem.org. When I switch back to 52400 in the Plex settings/router port forwarding table, canyouseeme.org times out and I don't understand why because I was literally using my PMS on port 52400 just fine up until last night when I was trying to help my brother out.

[edit] I'm just going to leave it at 32400 for now because I honestly have no idea what else to do. I just want to know what caused Plex to just say gently caress all to any other port that I manually drop in.

[edit 2] Oh wow, I'm an idiot. I had the ports swapped every time I tried switch it (from port was 32400 and to port was 52400, just had to do it the other way around). DERP :downs:

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 30, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Since I figured out the port situation, I was able to manually specify my Plex port to be 443. Despite that, my brother still was buffering on his local network. He's able to stream just fine on his phone using his cell data though. So based on that, is it safe to assume his ISP is just being poo poo? I had him run malwarebytes and everything came up clean. I can't think of anything else.

[edit]

Ok, so I looked up my brother's IP history in my PlexPy logs and I noticed that when his local network started buffering poo poo from my server his IP address changed. So pretty sure his ISP is the culprit. I still don't know how to remedy the situation though, or why the moment his IP changed is when his ability to stream my server decided to gently caress itself.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 31, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can he use other streaming services without buffering? Maybe his isp detected a lot of activity from his old ip and put him in a different part of their network that does traffic shaping on certain types of activity like streaming.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Can he use other streaming services without buffering? Maybe his isp detected a lot of activity from his old ip and put him in a different part of their network that does traffic shaping on certain types of activity like streaming.

Yeah he can use YouTube and NBA league pass just fine. His wife is able to stream her Filipino shows without issue on their Chromecast too. It's just Plex.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

Ok, so I looked up my brother's IP history in my PlexPy logs and I noticed that when his local network started buffering poo poo from my server his IP address changed. So pretty sure his ISP is the culprit. I still don't know how to remedy the situation though, or why the moment his IP changed is when his ability to stream my server decided to gently caress itself.

Out of curiousity, is the new IP in the 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 range, or any of the other ranges on this page? If so you may have another private network range situation. Where I used to work our cellular USB devices started giving out IPs in this range, and when it did their VPN connection stopped working because the firewall saw it as unroutable. Maybe a similar issue?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

Yeah he can use YouTube and NBA league pass just fine. His wife is able to stream her Filipino shows without issue on their Chromecast too. It's just Plex.

Can he torrent? Have him try a popular high-bandwidth torrent (linux or anything non :filez: if needed) and see if he has issues. I'm wondering if he's not being traffic managed and most common things are whitelisted.
The only other thing I can think of is a specific routing issue between his ISP and yours. This may get resolved their end without intervention, or he might need to contact his ISP for a different IP, or otherwise report the issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

Plex is traffic managed by my ISP. If I VPN into the same line as my server, the problem goes away. Main problem is my main client at the moment is my Apple TV which doesn't allow this option. If I use a 1.5mbps stream it mostly behaves itself though, but still has occasional hiccups. I miss my Virgin fibre line.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Khablam posted:

The only other thing I can think of is a specific routing issue between his ISP and yours. This may get resolved their end without intervention, or he might need to contact his ISP for a different IP, or otherwise report the issue.
I think its most likely poo poo routing. Every so often, some video service or another will poo poo the bed, I sigh at the state of ISPs, I fire up the VPN, and everything is good again. Then the next day evreything's back to normal.

teagone, have you tried using a VPN to force a different route? Or trying some other type of direct connection and testing the bandwidth (run a VPN on your side, have him connect to that and test to determine if its routing or shaping)?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 31, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My bro is coming over for lunch/dinner today, so we'll likely test out the VPN route next weekend. He has unlimited cell data so for now he's just using a hotspot if he wants to stream stuff from my server.

bcstmr
Apr 17, 2004
I'm trying to set up the "pre-roll video" function in the Extras section in the server settings. I'd like a short 10 second video (already in my library) to play before each movie. I don't have Plex Pass and I don't really care about trailers. It seems like a pain in the rear end to set up any of these features without Plex Pass, but from what I've read I think it's possible. So is there an easy way to set up a pre-roll video without setting up trailers? The client is an Apple TV 4 if it matters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bcstmr posted:

I'm trying to set up the "pre-roll video" function in the Extras section in the server settings. I'd like a short 10 second video (already in my library) to play before each movie. I don't have Plex Pass and I don't really care about trailers. It seems like a pain in the rear end to set up any of these features without Plex Pass, but from what I've read I think it's possible. So is there an easy way to set up a pre-roll video without setting up trailers? The client is an Apple TV 4 if it matters.

Either shell out the cash for a Plex Pass or re-encode all your media with that 10 second clip added before it plays. I'm not seriously suggesting to go the second route :haw:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm confused as to why someone would want to add more stuff before the movie starts. If Plex Pass offered some magical way to remove all pre-roll stuff like studio logos and tv opening credits I'd buy it right now.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have seen it where people make like, their own logo for their own home theater to play before movies. Kinda silly but also kinda fun to have "Smith Family Theater" or whatever and an animation come up before a movie with all your friends.

bcstmr
Apr 17, 2004

emocrat posted:

I have seen it where people make like, their own logo for their own home theater to play before movies. Kinda silly but also kinda fun to have "Smith Family Theater" or whatever and an animation come up before a movie with all your friends.

Exactly this. I've spent the last two years designing a kick rear end home theater and I have several short (5-10 second) clips that highlight the surround system like Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, intros. They are great to set the mood for the upcoming feature and to showcase the capabilities of the audio system.

What's strange is that the pre-roll feature does not say "This feature is Plex Pass only" like the other cinema trailer options on that configuration page. I've read about other users (also without Plex Pass) setting up trailers/pre-roll video setting this up successfully but I can't find a useful tutorial to get it going. You can for sure set up cinema trailers to play from local files without Plex Pass if you name them a certain way. What I'm trying to figure out is if pre-roll videos are dependent on cinema trailers or if they can be used by themselves. It's certainly not worth a monthly fee. I love using Plex on the Apple TV otherwise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bcstmr posted:

Exactly this. I've spent the last two years designing a kick rear end home theater and I have several short (5-10 second) clips that highlight the surround system like Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, intros. They are great to set the mood for the upcoming feature and to showcase the capabilities of the audio system.

What's strange is that the pre-roll feature does not say "This feature is Plex Pass only" like the other cinema trailer options on that configuration page. I've read about other users (also without Plex Pass) setting up trailers/pre-roll video setting this up successfully but I can't find a useful tutorial to get it going. You can for sure set up cinema trailers to play from local files without Plex Pass if you name them a certain way. What I'm trying to figure out is if pre-roll videos are dependent on cinema trailers or if they can be used by themselves. It's certainly not worth a monthly fee. I love using Plex on the Apple TV otherwise.

From what I understand, the pre-roll video is part of the Cinema Trailers feature, i.e., in order to use any of your custom pre-roll videos you HAVE to at least enable 1 trailer to play before your movie. Your pre-roll video will precede the trailer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow this app is not good at streaming 1080p files.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I disagree, it's pretty much all I use it for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Wow this app is not good at streaming 1080p files.

Which app for what platform? Almost all my content streamed locally at home is 1080p, some really high bitrate too (mostly to the HTPC). I stream to an HTPC running PMP, 2 Chromecasts, a Roku, and a Chromebook. Sometimes a tablet/phone, but hardly. All can playback 1080p content from my server without issue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

teagone posted:

Which app for what platform? Almost all my content streamed locally at home is 1080p, some really high bitrate too (mostly to the HTPC). I stream to an HTPC running PMP, 2 Chromecasts, a Roku, and a Chromebook. Sometimes a tablet/phone, but hardly. All can playback 1080p content from my server without issue.

This is streaming over the Internet, though, to an android tablet. I think the ISP here just has lovely bandwidth.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

This is streaming over the Internet, though, to an android tablet. I think the ISP here just has lovely bandwidth.

Yeah. When accessing your server remotely, if your bandwidth can't match the bitrate of whatever you're streaming (or at least give some headroom), that's on the ISP not the app. In that scenario, drop down the quality and have your server transcode to a lower bitrate/resolution.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

On local I can get 1080p actual bitrate quality. From my parents house I had to bump down to 720p. Just a bandwidth thing.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
When I stream to my chromecast I have to set the quality to 720p 4mbs or I get stuttering - it sounds like some of you are getting 1080p on your chromecast so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is local, however the only quirk is that my computer is connected to a 5ghz version of the network while my chromecast is connected to the regular one. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mike- posted:

When I stream to my chromecast I have to set the quality to 720p 4mbs or I get stuttering - it sounds like some of you are getting 1080p on your chromecast so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is local, however the only quirk is that my computer is connected to a 5ghz version of the network while my chromecast is connected to the regular one. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't know about Chromecast, but when I stream to my Roku 3 I am able to flawlessly do it with uncompressed blu-ray files. Some of which exceed 40Gb for a 2 hour movie. This is over wifi.

What router are you using?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Xavier434 posted:

I don't know about Chromecast, but when I stream to my Roku 3 I am able to flawlessly do it with uncompressed blu-ray files. Some of which exceed 40Gb for a 2 hour movie. This is over wifi.

What router are you using?

It's whatever time warner provided, but I can also stream to my ps4, phone and tablet at 1080, so I think it's something with the chromecast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I never really had streaming issues but my desktop serving up the files are wired.

Chromecast is hardlocked to 12 mbps in plex I think. Only time I remember having buffering issues was when I tried to bring the chromecast to another part of the house far from the router and it couldn't keep up between the 100-150ish feet and going through three or four walls.