Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that Marvel - having completed their collection of the Bronze Age Marvel Star Wars comics into three omnibuses - are now preparing a fourth Star Wars omnibus, which will compile the Ewoks and Droids comics.

There's probably no demand for this but Star Wars is a licence to print money now, so more power to them.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand that Marvel - having completed their collection of the Bronze Age Marvel Star Wars comics into three omnibuses - are now preparing a fourth Star Wars omnibus, which will compile the Ewoks and Droids comics.

There's probably no demand for this but Star Wars is a licence to print money now, so more power to them.

I do like that they are reprinting the DH stuff in chronalogical collections.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have three of the Epic Collections they've done so far (the two Empire ones and the first Rise of the Sith one). I'm disappointed all over again that Dark Times never had an ending. :(

I note that Marvel have also announced an "Avengers by John Byrne" omnibus. Probably his simultaneous (if somewhat undistinguished) runs on Avengers and West Coast back in the late 1980s. Seems a bit of an odd choice, given they're already doing a book that compiles his assorted Marvel universe stories. I like his Fantastic Four and Superman a lot, but is he really a name that still sells books?

I mean, yeah, he's not Frank Miller or Alan Moore where their name on the cover sells the book, but there must be something to it for Marvel to be reprinting so much of his stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have three of the Epic Collections they've done so far (the two Empire ones and the first Rise of the Sith one). I'm disappointed all over again that Dark Times never had an ending. :(

I note that Marvel have also announced an "Avengers by John Byrne" omnibus. Probably his simultaneous (if somewhat undistinguished) runs on Avengers and West Coast back in the late 1980s. Seems a bit of an odd choice, given they're already doing a book that compiles his assorted Marvel universe stories. I like his Fantastic Four and Superman a lot, but is he really a name that still sells books?

I mean, yeah, he's not Frank Miller or Alan Moore where their name on the cover sells the book, but there must be something to it for Marvel to be reprinting so much of his stuff.

In my experience John Byrne is now a name that deters people from buying comics.

Raife
Feb 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

In my experience John Byrne is now a name that deters people from buying comics.

I haven't read anything newer of his than X-Men: The Hidden Years from a long time back. I always thought he was a big name. What happened to change that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raife posted:

I haven't read anything newer of his than X-Men: The Hidden Years from a long time back. I always thought he was a big name. What happened to change that?

He's a worse human being than Dan Slott.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today I went to the comic shop while doing some late Christmas shopping and I learned they're doing Transmetropolitan in Absolute format so naturally I walked out with a present for myself that was more expensive than anything I got for anyone else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some new stuff that's been announced for 2016 in the past month or so that I'm quite interested in:

All three Thunderbolts Classic trades are getting reprinted after a good few years, but now they're leading into a new series of collections under the banner "Hawkeye & the Thunderbolts" which I believe will be continuing into the Nicieza run that followed Busiek.

Wonder Woman by George Pérez Omnibus Vol. 2 is coming out, as I believe has been remarked upon already ITT. It had previously been assumed that there'd only be the one, which we recollect the old TPBs that have since gone out of print. Curiously enough, they're also starting new paperback collections for the Pérez run.

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 9 is coming out in the middle of next year, which I only learned earlier today, after I posted in the X-Men (?) thread bemoaning how DC had abandoned it. :v: There is also going to be a reprint of the old "Panic In the Sky" TPB, which I think will go some distance toward bringing the Post-Crisis Superman line up to the Death and Return omnibus.

One that I'm particularly surprised by is the first Guardians of the Galaxy Classic, which starts to collect the Michael Gallagher run that followed the Jim Valentino run, the collection of which was completed earlier this year. Nevertheless, I like the 1990s Guardians, so I will probably keep an eye out for it.

Infinity Watch Vol. 1-2 look like they'll be collecting the complete run on this series, which spun out of the original Infinity Gauntlet crossover and tied into War and Crusade. I think parts of it have already been collected here and there (variously in the War and Crusade TPBs, the Gauntlet and War Aftermath TPBs and the Thor: Blood and Thunder book).

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Got the Multiversity hardcover for Christmas, and God drat is it gorgeous...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some new stuff that's been announced for 2016 in the past month or so that I'm quite interested in:

All three Thunderbolts Classic trades are getting reprinted after a good few years, but now they're leading into a new series of collections under the banner "Hawkeye & the Thunderbolts" which I believe will be continuing into the Nicieza run that followed Busiek.

Wonder Woman by George Pérez Omnibus Vol. 2 is coming out, as I believe has been remarked upon already ITT. It had previously been assumed that there'd only be the one, which we recollect the old TPBs that have since gone out of print. Curiously enough, they're also starting new paperback collections for the Pérez run.

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 9 is coming out in the middle of next year, which I only learned earlier today, after I posted in the X-Men (?) thread bemoaning how DC had abandoned it. :v: There is also going to be a reprint of the old "Panic In the Sky" TPB, which I think will go some distance toward bringing the Post-Crisis Superman line up to the Death and Return omnibus.

One that I'm particularly surprised by is the first Guardians of the Galaxy Classic, which starts to collect the Michael Gallagher run that followed the Jim Valentino run, the collection of which was completed earlier this year. Nevertheless, I like the 1990s Guardians, so I will probably keep an eye out for it.

Infinity Watch Vol. 1-2 look like they'll be collecting the complete run on this series, which spun out of the original Infinity Gauntlet crossover and tied into War and Crusade. I think parts of it have already been collected here and there (variously in the War and Crusade TPBs, the Gauntlet and War Aftermath TPBs and the Thor: Blood and Thunder book).

I do dig that Marvel is putting out a ton of Guardians stuff. I just need to get the newest Valentino TPB. Ah, memories...I sincerely hope that the four-part Galactic Guardians is in there as well!

Infinity Watch Volumes 1 and 2 might be a tad weird since a lot of it was reprinted in the Infinity crossovers. I know the first six got released as 'Infinity War Aftermath' along with some other stuff. That said, I'm hoping Marvel does something with the Clone Saga Epic TPBs, as the second and fourth volumes are way, way too much money for the friggin' Clone Saga.

If anybody has those two volumes for a good price, throw me a line by the way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I do dig that Marvel is putting out a ton of Guardians stuff. I just need to get the newest Valentino TPB. Ah, memories...I sincerely hope that the four-part Galactic Guardians is in there as well!

I don't believe it does - it will probably be in this new one.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone know anything about The Shaolin Cowboy? I picked up the hardcover from Dark Horse, but apparently it's a "real" series? Is The Shaolin Cowboy published in any other medium?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's been released as a series of longer "floppies" by Burlyman Entertainment. I think there's seven so far. It seems like it was released as a collection in 2014, but it's super expensive on Amazon and the Burlyman website hasn't been updated in a while. Geoff Darrow always has copies of the individual issues at cons, but they're kinda expensive.

The Dark Horse stuff is a separate series. Don't know if more is planned or not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel omnibuses 50-70% off.
http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/marvel-omnibus-sale-2016/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I have ordered from this company before and the 50+% off stuff were all damaged items.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I have ordered from this company before and the 50+% off stuff were all damaged items.

That's pretty lovely if they don't actually make that clear

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

That's pretty lovely if they don't actually make that clear

It is! And check your PMS!

Edit: It was like a year ago, they had a 50-80% off sale but it was all softcovers. They were clearly all damages.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Only $30 for the Crossing omni, and it could be damaged? Makes it sound like even more of a steal, particularly if it's damaged to the point of unreadability. :v:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've ordered several products from them with standard shipping and never had anything damaged. Prices are usually comparable to Amazon sellers and sometimes a bit lower.

Pato
Mar 15, 2006
Duck
Managed to find a sealed hardcover Ultimate Spider-Man vol 11 for $55 shipped. Trying to collect all the ultimate universe materiel and the cheapest I'd ever seen it is 90 bucks so I had to get it. Too bad it ends with a wet Jeph Loeb fart though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pato posted:

Managed to find a sealed hardcover Ultimate Spider-Man vol 11 for $55 shipped. Trying to collect all the ultimate universe materiel and the cheapest I'd ever seen it is 90 bucks so I had to get it. Too bad it ends with a wet Jeph Loeb fart though.

I hate that they still haven't put the Miles run in that format.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hate that they still haven't done volume two yet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absolute Ronin, worth the money?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Absolute Ronin, worth the money?
I've only read the standard trade version and it's okaaaaaaaaaay? It's cool to flip through!

I finally got one of my long-brewing projects finished, all of Dixon's Nightwing run:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 25, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pato posted:

drat if you had said something I would have sold you mine. I have a second sealed copy because I forgot I owned it already lol

I am missing vol 7 and 8 and they are hard to get a hold of :(

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

redbackground posted:

I've only read the standard trade version and it's okaaaaaaaaaay? It's cool to flip through!

I finally got one of my long-brewing projects finished, all of Dixon's Nightwing run:

Those look great! Been in the middle of getting married and buying a house so my bindings have fallen to the wayside.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is there any significant difference between the new hardcover of Superman - Secret Identity and the old paperback?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the best way to read Sandman? Is the two omnibus set a good way to read it? I read most of my books on a kitchen / coffee table.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

obi_ant posted:

What is the best way to read Sandman?

Absolutes :colbert:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

obi_ant posted:

What is the best way to read Sandman? Is the two omnibus set a good way to read it? I read most of my books on a kitchen / coffee table.

The omni's are a fine way to read it if you're reading at a table.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If extras are not important to you then you can score all 10 softcovers for like $50 on Amazon.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Alhazred posted:

Absolutes :colbert:

Yeah I really dig mine. If you search around an are patient you can get the first 4 for around $200 used. I never got volume 5 because I already had the death hc. The absolutes will hold up better to multiple readings and loaning out.

Rhyno posted:

If extras are not important to you then you can score all 10 softcovers for like $50 on Amazon.

This is how I originally read them from the library. Much easier to handle for sure.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 2, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm not an Absolute or Omnibus fan, so I have Sandman (and most other series) in trade paperback form. But you don't have to be a perfectionist like me. It took me years to track down all ten volumes from the same print run (matching cover and spine designs) at cheap enough prices.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You can get all ten trades in a slipcase for $125 at Amazon right now and avoid the mismatched spines.

I managed to get a matched set by buying random volumes from different stores and online at different times over a period of years and just getting all of them the same. Lucky.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Amazon fish shows a long overdue Flash by Mark Waid vol 1

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Mark-Waid-Book-One/dp/1401267351/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454424000&sr=8-1&keywords=waid+flash

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

:fap:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm looking to fill the holes in my Astro City TPB collection. From the looks of it DC's been reprinting the older trades, but seems to have skipped Vol. 4: Tarnished Angel?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's plenty of copies available new from Amazon sellers unless you're doing some OCD matching trade dress thing. (Not an insult. I have the same problem at times.)

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

On the subject of Sandman, another option is "The Annotated Sandman'. In brief:

- each volume collects as much material as the equivalent absolute edition.
- more expensive than the softcover, less expensive than the absolute/Omnis
- The art is presented in black and white inks (no colour).
- As the title suggests the books also contain much wider margins, which are occasionally used for annotations which discuss the references in the text, writers notes etc.
-because of the above, the volumes are larger than the absolutes and should be read at a table.

While I've only read the first volume, I like them so far. That said, while the black and white works surprisingly well, some issues really lose something without the colour ("A Midsummer Night's Dream", some of the hell issues). I've also heard that the annotations get pretty sparse in subsequent volumes but cannot confirm yet. Would love to hear people's thoughts on them :v:.

If you've never read it before, I'd go for the softcovers. It's cheaper, so less of a loss if you end up not liking it and much more comfortable to read than the omni's which will hurt if you try to read them without a handy table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm sure this would drive some people mad.

(via reddit)