Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

if he has a twitter account you could probably just ask him directly,

If that was my name I'd probably block the dork asking me about Ninja Turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Squizzle posted:

Firestorm has never not looked like a blind man who was dressed in trash by clown-loving psych ward inmate.

My controversial opinion: DC should publish a comic where Firestorm doesn't look like a psychedelic trash jester.

Negative.

In the early 90's he got all those elemental powers and looked rad as hell.

(Ostrander run)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Negative.

In the early 90's he got all those elemental powers and looked rad as hell.

(Ostrander run)

Being drawn by Tom Mandrake helps a lot, but I can't say that I like the wedgehead look that much. Especially combined with the flames around his neck and shoulders, which remind me of nothing so much as the Creeper's ruff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He looks like a Final Fantasy.

CW Firestorm was Robbie Amell for a while. That's a good look, except for the racism part.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Selachian posted:

Being drawn by Tom Mandrake helps a lot, but I can't say that I like the wedgehead look that much. Especially combined with the flames around his neck and shoulders, which remind me of nothing so much as the Creeper's ruff.

Before I scrolled down to your text, I looked at the picture and thought "That looks like a Ditko character gone horribly, horribly wrong". Kind of rad that you saw something similar.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Selachian posted:

Yeah nahhhhh this is still really bad

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Selachian posted:

From hobo clown to creepy new age clown doll.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
He always looked like a New God to me.

His futures end costume was ok.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knives Amilli posted:

He always looked like a New God to me.

His futures end costume was ok.

If they had made those lights on his costume into portals that lead into him and it had a burning effect inside, showing he is the Nuclear Man, I think that could be a good look. Otherwise, he's kinda "Any future hero ever" in that costume. I could see Captain Atom in that or something. Or any hero named some light word.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Selachian posted:

I can't remember, but I think he was also slightly different before that full elemental bit. But that wedge-head is pure elemental fire! that's awesome (okay, my teen years are making me reach)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

rotinaj posted:

If they had made those lights on his costume into portals that lead into him and it had a burning effect inside, showing he is the Nuclear Man, I think that could be a good look. Otherwise, he's kinda "Any future hero ever" in that costume. I could see Captain Atom in that or something. Or any hero named some light word.

I immediately thought of The Ray.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

Ha, me too. I was about to say close the hat and this'd be a great Ray 1,000,000 suit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was thinking, "Hey, that looks kinda Nova-ish."

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Selachian posted:

Thundercats ho!

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Speaking of the Ray, I liked his new 52 look. Even though it was deviation from the "Fin Head" look, it had a "light hero/Apollo/Sun God" aesthetic (shiny skin really is reminiscent of Captain Atom tho) . Really looks he'd fit better in a Cosmic setting (character is basically dead now).

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Where's he standing?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

Where's he standing?
On top of the building that's always juuuuuust off-screen when Spider-Man swings in from nowhere.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

qntm posted:

Where's he standing?

On the bank he robbed.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

qntm posted:

Where's he standing?

Spider-man stuck him up there cause he's a huge jerk :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

qntm posted:

Where's he standing?

That's a clockface he's standing on.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

qntm posted:

Where's he standing?

Judging by what we can see in the background, he's on the Taller-Than-Empire-State Building in Astoria, which is a unique feature to the Spider-Man CU.

Or perhaps a piece of a smaller building which is rocketing into space.

Mirage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 4, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So...Baxter Building?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aphrodite posted:

So...Baxter Building?

Baxter Building is on 42nd and Madison- Doc Ock is on the relocated Burj Kalifa, now found in Long Island City.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's the clocktower from the big action setpiece in the middle of the film you goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbxt8Je3348

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tribbledirigible posted:

Baxter Building is on 42nd and Madison- Doc Ock is on the relocated Burj Kalifa, now found in Long Island City.

It can fly!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Squizzle posted:

Firestorm has never not looked like a blind man who was dressed in trash by clown-loving psych ward inmate.

My controversial opinion: DC should publish a comic where Firestorm doesn't look like a psychedelic trash jester.

I'll be the odd man out and agree with you on this one. The costume just screams D-league for life.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Knives Amilli posted:

Speaking of the Ray, I liked his new 52 look. Even though it was deviation from the "Fin Head" look, it had a "light hero/Apollo/Sun God" aesthetic (shiny skin really is reminiscent of Captain Atom tho) . Really looks he'd fit better in a Cosmic setting (character is basically dead now).

I know nothing about the Ray other than tiny cameos but I loved his fin head look. It was very different but memorable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

I know nothing about the Ray other than tiny cameos but I loved his fin head look. It was very different but memorable.

That New 52 look seems less dated, but also so generic that you could probably have made it in the untranslated Korean City of Heroes costume creator from 2006. Like you, I prefer the high-collar jacket and fin-helmet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I loved that character creator, the default look was basically Jet Li as Black Mask.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I have excellent news, friend.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, Ron Frenz just posted a bunch of sketches of a character that ultimately became American Dream, the MC2 universe's version of Captain America. It's a very interesting insight into how these costumes evolve.

Kind of wish they'd kept the jacket, imo. I guess we know where Ms. America got it from. Although I think losing the abs & the wingface mask were good decisions.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Are there any good examples of male costumes that have a bare midriff like those first few pictures?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kellsterik posted:

Are there any good examples of male costumes that have a bare midriff like those first few pictures?

Movie Juggernaut?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hercules
Unworthy Thor

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kellsterik posted:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

This is what the kids call "advanced gay" - a form of gay so densely homosexual it turns gay readers straight and straight readers pregnant.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Kellsterik posted:

He-Man
Black Goliath
Kraven the Hunter
Apache Chief

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I need backup, BSS.

This is the cast of the anime Hunter x Hunter. I've never watched it because I can't get past how eye bleedingly terrible everyone's outfits are, though. People keep telling me I'm wrong, but am I wrong? Are those not terrible?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I need backup, BSS.

This is the cast of the anime Hunter x Hunter. I've never watched it because I can't get past how eye bleedingly terrible everyone's outfits are, though. Are those not terrible?

Yes, "business suit", "long-sleeve shirt and pants" and "white button-down" are absolutely just the worst things I've ever seen all right.

WickedHate posted:

People keep telling me I'm wrong, but am I wrong?
Literally always.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ferrule posted:

He-Man
Black Goliath
Kraven the Hunter
Apache Chief

Most of those are just shirtless. I think he means the half shirt.

• Locked thread