Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Thread: question, for those of you who work remotely but not at a desk, do you have any variant of a laptop-desk you use? My wife was looking at the dharma desk but $250 on a laptop desk made of plywood is excessive.

Honestly if you're going to be working for any length of time it is going to be worth investing in a desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

quote:

Every time I log into the corporate vpn it sends me a temporary password email. Can we turn that off?

Thanks,

[name]

quote:

No.

#close
No, user. We will not.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

frogbert posted:

Honestly if you're going to be working for any length of time it is going to be worth investing in a desk an office.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

larchesdanrew posted:

That's why I carry one of these with me
How much is this, where is it sold, and is it compatible with tablets/smartphones? Asking for... gently caress it, I'm asking for me, my enormous sausage fingers are terrible with touchscreens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How much is this, where is it sold, and is it compatible with tablets/smartphones? Asking for... gently caress it, I'm asking for me, my enormous sausage fingers are terrible with touchscreens.

There's a whole bunch of generic ones. Here's one that costs $20:
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-FE01-BL-...s=mini+wireless

But if you want one to use with a phone or tablet, here's a bluetooth one that drops the touchpad and laser pointer:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Bluetooth...=mini+bluetooth

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

fishmech posted:

But if you want one to use with a phone or tablet, here's a bluetooth one that drops the touchpad and laser pointer:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Bluetooth...=mini+bluetooth

Or one with all those things: http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Smartphone-mini-X1-BT/dp/B004I4RW8C

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

I have that exact model, and love it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are some people that make me wish I carried disposable rubber gloves around for when I need to use their keyboard or mouse.

Why the hell do some of those feel greasy and/or sticky?

People that constantly put lotion on their hands are a big culprit of this.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pr0digal posted:

I'll keep that in my back pocket for Windows but this is on Mac. The solution is
code:
sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1
This will gray out the sleep option in the Apple menu.

There is also
code:
pmset -a sleep 0 disksleep 0
But that doesn't stop the fuckers from sending the machine to sleep themselves. Sleeping machines cause files to become locked with makes other machines on the SAN very angry when listing directories.

That's a thing huh? I had this issue come up with some users last week, design dpt of 5 Macs, "random file locking issue, can't rename or move folders"

All use InDesign/Adobe etc all use finder in column view with previews enabled. All my research indicated this was one of the leading culprits. I may need to make a phone call tomorrow..

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are some people that make me wish I carried disposable rubber gloves around for when I need to use their keyboard or mouse.

Why the hell do some of those feel greasy and/or sticky?

I'm guilty of this sometimes. I love white cheddar popcorn. I at least try to scrape it off when I notice afterward. I should get some cleaning wipes, that would be a lot easier.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm guilty of this sometimes. I love white cheddar popcorn. I at least try to scrape it off when I notice afterward. I should get some cleaning wipes, that would be a lot easier.

Eat your popcorn with a spoon. You will look like a sociopath, but will have a clean keyboard.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Moey posted:

Eat your popcorn with a spoon. You will look like a sociopath, but will have a clean keyboard.

So it's a win-win, then? Clean keyboard and people second-guess their decision when they walk up to my desk to ask for poo poo.

For real, though, I never thought about this and I need to teach my 8 year old to do this. This or chopsticks.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Chopsticks is the way to go imo. Popcorn is a good food for learning to use them because of the repetition- and since you have to pick up one or two at a time it helps with portion control.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

As odd as it sounds I think chopsticks would make you look less weird then a spoon. A spoon will make you look like someone that just wants to shovel it into their mouth.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Just pour the bag directly into your mouth and wipe any stray cheese powder bits that get on your hands onto your sleeves.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I eat my popcorn with a straw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Thread: question, for those of you who work remotely but not at a desk, do you have any variant of a laptop-desk you use? My wife was looking at the dharma desk but $250 on a laptop desk made of plywood is excessive.

Milk crates.

If you want a nice smooth surface you can put a bunch of 1ftx1ft squares of 3/4in whatever together with hinges. Work surface folds up nice and neat, fits inside one of the milk crates, and the rest of your "office" fits in the other milk crates.
Butt pillow recommended.

I did this for the better part of a year.

Edit: I just realized you're working remotely from home... not temporarily at remote sites.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SeaborneClink posted:

That's a thing huh? I had this issue come up with some users last week, design dpt of 5 Macs, "random file locking issue, can't rename or move folders"

All use InDesign/Adobe etc all use finder in column view with previews enabled. All my research indicated this was one of the leading culprits. I may need to make a phone call tomorrow..

Are they running a SAN? Either Xsan or StorNext? If they are then sleeping/misconfigured fibre and metadata could be your culprit.

It could also be the joys of POSIX since the default umask on OS X is 022 which gives Read/Write to owner and Read Only to group for new files created; super fun on shared storage. This can be changed pretty easily...if you're on a version of OS X that supports umask

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201684

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There is precedent for this stuff:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

There is precedent for this stuff:

I was making this same exact post but then got distracted.

High five buddy

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress did you even work out the "unplug from network, leave for a while" method was the actual fix?

Had this sort of thing happen with a handheld scanner: doesn't turn on, swapping batteries doesn't work, putting it in the charging base doesn't work, pressing the reset switch doesn't work.

If you remove the battery, press the reset switch, and then let it sit for at least 15 minutes, then put the battery back in, it turns on. The waiting 15 minutes is required for this fix; it's not documented in the manual on the device, it's just some weird loving quirk of the device.

:iiam:

Currently unavailable. :(

No bluetooth, which was the point of "all those things". This one doesn't look half bad though.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mo_Steel posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-...d+with+touchpad

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Had this sort of thing happen with a handheld scanner: doesn't turn on, swapping batteries doesn't work, putting it in the charging base doesn't work, pressing the reset switch doesn't work.

If you remove the battery, press the reset switch, and then let it sit for at least 15 minutes, then put the battery back in, it turns on. The waiting 15 minutes is required for this fix; it's not documented in the manual on the device, it's just some weird loving quirk of the device.

Sounds like they used the wrong type of capacitor when they built it. I've seen it happen with lovely chinese electronics, they company doing the assembly swaps out the capacitor the designer specified for a cheaper one... that doesn't have the same rating. Suddenly it takes far far longer for the capacitors to drain... and the units lifespan shrinks dramatically because it's passing too high of a voltage to the circuit.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

I think I found the one you want on Deal Extreme:

http://www.dx.com/p/rii-k02-bluetooth-touchpad-mini-wireless-keyboard-mouse-combo-271140#.VrODB7IrJaQ

Looks like it matches the model number.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I set one folder in Outlook to have its messages displayed in plain text? Or alternatively, messages to a specific email address (a distro group)?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mo_Steel posted:

No bluetooth, which was the point of "all those things". This one doesn't look half bad though.

It comes with the bluetooth dongle (or, are you saying you don't want bluetooth?).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A series of tickets, from the same teacher, regarding her students' email addresses:

Monday:
:downs: I need x, y and z's email addresses.
:cool: They're the same as the log in name, which is first.last.
:downs: Ok, thanks.

Tuesday:
:downs: I need x's email address.
:cool: It's the same as her login name, first.last, just like everybody.
:downs: Ok

Wednesday:
:downs: I need w's email address.
:cool: first.last, same as everybody.

Today:
:downs: I need x's email address.
:cool: first.last

I don't drink but some of these people make me reconsider. At least I'm not in maintenance though; they have some good stories, like this gem.

Problem - classroom is too cold.
Issue: Lava lamp and coffee maker are plugged in and running right underneath the thermostat. Mini-fridge, space heater, and microwave a little further away, all plugged into same power bar. Teacher refuses to reorganize desk and move any of that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's me, I'm the user filing three tickets on my third day on the job, two of which are just asking for more equipment. Sorry, whoever got assigned them. There's a nonzero chance you're reading this, too :(

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Speaking of emails, literally everything I have done today has involved email addresses.

First is the librarian of the campus library wanting a list of every students' email addresses. Simple enough, but I'm not sure what the policy is for divulging student information, so I need director approval but he's out until Monday and she just can't wait so she'll just send about eleventy-thousand angry emails about how I'm holding her up.

Next is that Spiceworks isn't scraping my AD for user information, and the culprit seems to be that for Spiceworks to actually pull user info they have to have an email address listed, which none of our users do. So I either get to manually input 300+ emails or come up with a script that will transfer the information from a .csv file. It'd be really loving simple since we do firstletter.lastname@domain.com except students have a 16 or 17 included depending on what year they graduate and the domain groups aren't split into class years.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Speaking of emails, literally everything I have done today has involved email addresses.

First is the librarian of the campus library wanting a list of every students' email addresses. Simple enough, but I'm not sure what the policy is for divulging student information, so I need director approval but he's out until Monday and she just can't wait so she'll just send about eleventy-thousand angry emails about how I'm holding her up.

Next is that Spiceworks isn't scraping my AD for user information, and the culprit seems to be that for Spiceworks to actually pull user info they have to have an email address listed, which none of our users do. So I either get to manually input 300+ emails or come up with a script that will transfer the information from a .csv file. It'd be really loving simple since we do firstletter.lastname@domain.com except students have a 16 or 17 included depending on what year they graduate and the domain groups aren't split into class years.

Powershell should be able to do the whole transfer from CSV thing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Powershell that poo poo, should be pretty simple assuming your input data is accurate.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Yeah, PowerShell for sure. Just need to actually write the damned thing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, PowerShell for sure. Just need to actually test the damned thing.

Just modifying that for any potential LOLs

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ran a -WhatIf and it just showed a picture of me holding my hands out to CE

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The last time I ran -what if, it spit out a termination notice with my name on it. Powershell is scary, yo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it cool to ask questions here?

I have a user with Android 5.1.1, syncing calendars through our Exchange. He has 2 calendars right now setup in Outlook and when he pulls them down they just get jumbled under one account and not separated. We tried in the stock, S Calendar and also Google Calendar, both apps see everything as just one account. Ive tried removing and re-adding the Exchange account but it doesnt seem to work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our helpdesk techs keep 'solving' issues where an Outlook client doesn't reflect the actual mailbox contents by turning off Cached Exchange Mode. For laptop users, with Office 365.

:suicide:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Our helpdesk techs keep 'solving' issues where an Outlook client doesn't reflect the actual mailbox contents by turning off Cached Exchange Mode. For laptop users, with Office 365.

:suicide:

I almost want to say that's better than just telling them to use OWA and not actually fixing anything. Almost.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Vintersorg posted:

Is it cool to ask questions here?

No. This is like a teacher's lounge from the 70's where the teachers go to smoke cigarettes, drink coffee, call each other by their first name and bitch about their students.

No outsiders allowed. We are on break. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

larchesdanrew posted:

Ran a -WhatIf and it just showed a picture of me holding my hands out to CE

Speaking of, has his issue been resolved yet or is the station still baying for his blood? :allears:

• Locked thread