Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Uh, um, yeah, uh, I just, I just wanted to say how great it is to finally see some chicks on the bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I hadn't heard of this guy before so I looked him up. He seems pretty inoffensive? What's he done?

quote:

http://robert-simms.greensmps.org.au/sites/default/files/higher_education_update_edition_1_january_2016.pdf
In November I spoke against the government’s Overseas HELP Bill, which will now mean that thousands of Australian expatriates and long-term travellers with outstanding HELP debt will be burdened with a huge amount of self-reporting responsibilities to the Australian government. If they fail to comply with these new obligations, it will mean that they fall into the same category as tax evaders.

I still don't understand the opposition to this. I mean I'm all for free education and whatnot but it hardly seems fair that people who stay in Australia should have to pay and people who move overseas shouldn't. Treating them like tax evaders seems entirely appropriate as that's essentially what they're doing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Because the costs of enforcing it may outweigh the benefits. Honestly I don't know too much about how much money it's going to take to chase these people down and poo poo, so I could be wrong and it's extremely lucrative

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you're alright cartoon, I'm just having a larf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Government slashes CSIRO climate change jobs

By Unconventional Economist in Carbon Economy

at 10:10 am on February 4, 2016 | 31 comments

By Leith van Onselen

From ABC News comes a report that the CSIRO is about to axe as many as 300 jobs from its climate-related departments:

The ABC understands up to 300 positions over the next two years are on the chopping block, largely in the Oceans and Atmosphere and Land and Water divisions.

The organisation will attempt to redeploy as many staff as possible in emerging areas such as data science, sources say.

Staff are due to be notified today and a CSIRO spokesman said the organisation would not comment until the announcement.

It is not clear whether any redundancies will be voluntary.

The SMH provides more detail, noting the following:

“Climate will be all gone, basically,” said one senior scientist, before the announcement. “We understand both the Prime Minister [Malcolm Turnbull] and the [Science] Minister [Christopher Pyne] have signed off on the cuts”…

Another senior scientist, aware of the planned announcement, said staff would be shocked by the news that basic climate science including much of the monitoring of changes in the southern hemisphere would be gutted.

“There’ll be disappointment, anger,” he said, adding that Australia’s counterparts would also respond “with shock and horror”…

Andy Pitman, director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science at the University of NSW, said the scale of the cuts was “jaw-droppingly shocking”.

“It’s a catastrophic reduction in our capacity to assess present and future climate change,” Professor Pitman said. “It will leave us vulnerable to future climate change and unable to take advantage of any positives that result.”

The dumbening of Australia continues…

unconventionaleconomist@hotmail.com

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/02/government-slashes-csiro-climate-change-jobs/

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birdstrike posted:

you're alright cartoon, I'm just having a larf
As was I. And the rich apparently:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...rn-in-your-area

You need to click this one but it's about income disparity.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Churches have taken the extraordinary step of offering sanctuary to asylum seekers facing deportation in the wake of a High Court verdict, raising the prospect of police raids on places of worship and possible charges for clergy.

When Worlds Collide

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Lid posted:

When Worlds Collide

Sanctuary hasn't been legal for over 400 years so it's moral posturing rather than legit safe harbour, still a bit :unsmith: though. Some big church diocese have weight in on it too.

In other :unsmith: news, all the RoK rallys have been canned.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/ZZq4I02.jpg :nws:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Birb Katter posted:

Sanctuary hasn't been legal for over 400 years so it's moral posturing rather than legit safe harbour, still a bit :unsmith: though. Some big church diocese have weight in on it too.

Most of the LNP are christian so having a large section of the christian community call them out on this poo poo might make a difference, although the churches have been pretty vocal for a while without having much of an impact so maybe it won't do a thing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

Most of the LNP are christian so having a large section of the christian community call them out on this poo poo might make a difference, although the churches have been pretty vocal for a while without having much of an impact so maybe it won't do a thing.

Pictures Always Play Better

Churches saying something is one thing, the news having footage of police storming churches to pull out crying and scared poor people is something you can't gloss over.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Birb Katter posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's legal, what matters is that there may be international visibility of federal police and border force thugs raiding churches and pushing religious people to the ground so that they can take refugee babies to literal concentration camps. I kind of hope it comes to that, in some ways, if they're going to be taken anyway. It might be enough to change some minds.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

AGL pulls out of coal seam gas across Australia, leaving farmers ‘ecstatic’
Energy company cites low oil prices for decision to cease exploration and wind down or sell its gas fields, with CSG opponents calling the move a well-earned victory
Michael Slezak
Published: 11:41 AEDT Thursday, 04 February 2016
Follow Michael Slezak
Coonamble farmer Ted Borowski, who chained himself to the underneath of a truck carrying mining equipment, as part of a blockage of coal team gas trucks in the Pilliga Forest, in northern NSW. Mr. Borowski used metal piping to attach himself, forcing the vehicle and a number of trucks following it to standstill.
Santos’s plan for a CSG field in NSW’s Pilliga forest has been plagued by protests. In the wake of AGL’s decision on Thursday to pull out of coal seam gas in Australia, activists and farmers are calling on Santos to follow suit in NSW. Photograph: Ursula Da Silva/AAP
AGL is pulling out of coal seam gas in Australia, ceasing its exploration and winding down or selling its operational gas fields.

Plummeting oil and gas prices were cited by AGL as one of the main reasons for the decision in its announcement to the ASX on Thursday morning, as well as lower than expected production volumes from one of its fields in NSW.

AGL to shut all coal-fired power stations by 2050 in bid to limit global warming
AGL said a review had concluded that “production of natural gas assets will no longer be a core business for the company”.

AdvertisementHide
The decision by American chief executive Andrew Vesey follows his pledge last year to shut all its coal-fired power stations by 2050.

“Exiting our gas assets in NSW has been a difficult decision,” Vesey said. “AGL has invested significantly in these projects and communities over the past seven years.

“We are talking about potential investment of a billion dollars, so we had to make sure there were returns for shareholders. That has increasingly become uncertain in recent weeks,” Vesey told analysts.

Crude oil prices have slid about 70% in the past 18 months, and last month slipped to a 13-year low below $US27 a barrel, with gas prices following in its wake.

Farmers and residents who have been fighting coal seam gas have told Guardian Australia they are “ecstatic” with the decision. Lock the Gate Alliance – a collection of farmers, conservationists and residents who are concerned about unsafe gas mining – say it’s a well-earned victory for the thousands of people who have protested against CSG around the country.

In Gloucester near the Hunter Valley in New South Wales, AGL had planned a 300-well development the company said could supply 15% of NSW’s gas needs, which would no longer go ahead.

“We are thrilled. It’s a fantastic decision,” said Steve Phillips, Lock the Gate coordinator in the Hunter. He says the protests would have had an impact on the decision. “I think the fact they had no social license to go ahead would have been a factor for them.”

Pierre Power is a father of three, and a resident in Narellan Vale in NSW, next to AGL’s Camden gas field, which AGL said it would phase out by 2023. Power said he lives within about 500m of one well, which had a major leak in 2014. Another 11 were located within a kilometre of his house, he said.

“I’m ecstatic,” he said of AGL’s announcement.

When asked whether the 2023 phase-out was fast enough, he said: “Well it’s better than eight or nine years, but obviously I’d like them gone. Especially because I’ve got young kids growing up in the area.”

Knitting Nannas charged in NSW coal-seam gas protest
Activists’ eyes moved quickly to Santos, which remained the only company trying to develop coal seam gas in NSW.

“This leaves Santos as the last one standing, trying to get CSG off the ground” Phillips said.

Shares in AGL rose 1% to $18.77 following the announcement.

In NSW, Santos has been planning a CSG field in the Pilliga forest near Narrabri. It has been plagued by protests and one of its waste-water ponds was recently found to have leaked.

“Santos should take AGL’s lead to drop its coal seam gas plans in NSW and leave the Pilliga forest,” said Naomi Hodgson from the Wilderness Society.

“Santos should listen to the people of NSW and quit before it loses any more money on this disastrous project and tarnishes its reputation further.”

Santos has been contacted for comment.

Tags:Coal seam gasEnergyEnvironmentAustralia newsFossil fuelsMore...
Related Content

Australians fear Coalition is not taking climate change seriously, poll shows

25w

In vast swaths of rural New South Wales, there's only one election issue: coal seam gas

44w 128

promoted linksfrom around the web
Recommended by Outbrain

3D house in a day
REALESTATE.COM.AU

How Coconut Oil Will Change Your Life... 20 Ways
PERFECT VACATION

Thinking about going solar? This offer might make you switch
SOLAR POWER & SOLAR ENERGY | AGL

These 13 Pictures Will Show You How Terrifying The Ocean Can Be
AFRIZAP WORLD
About this Content
Comments 89
Neen Welsby
12h ago
Woo Hoo! That deserves another Woo Hoo!

25 recommendations. Tap to recommend.
r1nce_
12h ago
Let's all remember who was for and who was against CSG in the first place.

4 recommendations. Tap to recommend.
WisdomLikeSilence in response to r1nce_
11h ago
Everybody was for it and everybody was against it.
0 recommendations. Tap to recommend.
Lincon Fuller Hill
12h ago
Good news. Always look for the green alternative!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

TheMightyHandful posted:

promoted linksfrom around the web
Recommended by Outbrain

3D house in a day
REALESTATE.COM.AU

How Coconut Oil Will Change Your Life... 20 Ways
PERFECT VACATION

Thinking about going solar? This offer might make you switch
SOLAR POWER & SOLAR ENERGY | AGL

These 13 Pictures Will Show You How Terrifying The Ocean Can Be
AFRIZAP WORLD
About this Content

I don't want to be mean because you're probably just phone posting but :eyepop: at that copy/paste job

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SadisTech posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's legal, what matters is that there may be international visibility of federal police and border force thugs raiding churches and pushing religious people to the ground so that they can take refugee babies to literal concentration camps. I kind of hope it comes to that, in some ways, if they're going to be taken anyway. It might be enough to change some minds.

Yeah. I feel bad for kind of wanting that too, since it's awful but that could be the highly visible thing horrific thing can't just be spun by certain media or ignored

:sigh: :(

:unsmith:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

When Worlds Collide

All my old church friends I still have on facebook are the most vocal advocates of refugee and asylum seekers I know. I don't agree with them on a lot anymore, but there are a sizeable religious demographic that finds the way we treat them absolutely disgusting.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

SadisTech posted:

Yeah, they're really relying on the fact that people know what sanctuary is and that it's going to look bad, real bad, if they try to bust it up no matter the legal grounds they may have. The idea of churches across the country running smuggling operations and letting people chill is pretty awesome though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
What if they are just after a fresh source of kiddies?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

What if they are just after a fresh source of kiddies?

Splode posted:

Mate you're so edgy it's illegal to sell you to minors

Splode posted:

I wouldn't try taking you in me carry on luggage phwoar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

Most of the LNP are christian

Well, technically they're "Christianists". I.e. they identify socially as Christian but are pretty much anathema to the ideals of the religion.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Most of the LNP probably aren't true Christians and just do so out of habit due to adopted GOP playbook political posturing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dick Smith receiver Ferrier Hodgson has dispatched the failed retailer's chief financial officer and cut 22 office jobs as well as uncovering as much as $2 million in the underpayment of staff entitlements.
Michael Potts, who joined Dick Smith as CFO back in 2013 has left the company along with the office staff as part of what Ferrier Hodgson called a "restructuring of the group's support office."
The receivers' analysis of Dick Smith's books since it took control of the ailing business in early January has also revealed staff were potentially underpaid leave loading entitlements totalling as much as $2 million.

Queensland Edit:
The rough start to the year for the Palaszczuk government has been reflected in the polls, with the LNP renewed favourites to win an election, if one was to be held now.
If Labor can keep all its 43 MPs in line and in the party, that election is not scheduled to be held until early 2018.
But the latest Morgan Poll, which was taken between January 29 and February 1, in the wake of Labor Cairns MP Rob Pyne expressing his frustrations with the party, shows the LNP up 3.5 per cent since December, at the expense of Labor, putting it ahead 52 to 48 on a two-party preferred basis.
The two majors have swapped the lead since Labor took power in the January 2015 election, with neither party managing to hold the public's confidence.
The 925 Queensland respondents maintained this trend in January, adding five points to the LNP's primary vote lead, bringing it to 45.5 per cent, with Labor losing two points to bring it to 36.5 per cent, the Greens dropping a point to 9 per cent, Katter's Australian Party dropping half a per cent to take 3 per cent of the primary vote and independents falling 2.5 points in support, to 4.5 per cent.
But despite losing 4 per cent in support as "better" premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk remains overwhelmingly more popular a choice than Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg, who, while picking up those four points, still lags 18 points behind.
Ms Palaszczuk scored 61.5 per cent to Mr Springborg's 38.5 per cent.
That has remained largely unchanged since Ms Palaszczuk led Labor to power in Queensland's hung parliament.
Parliament will sit for the first time in 2016 later this month, bringing one of the government's toughest challenges with it - passing its alcohol fuelled violence laws, which, without the Katter's support, leaves Labor one vote short.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 4, 2016

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Anidav posted:

Dick Smith receiver Ferrier Hodgson has dispatched the failed retailer's chief financial officer and cut 22 office jobs as well as uncovering as much as $2 million in the underpayment of staff entitlements.
Michael Potts, who joined Dick Smith as CFO back in 2013 has left the company along with the office staff as part of what Ferrier Hodgson called a "restructuring of the group's support office."
The receivers' analysis of Dick Smith's books since it took control of the ailing business in early January has also revealed staff were potentially underpaid leave loading entitlements totalling as much as $2 million.

Link please?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anidav posted:

About 6 months ago I was dealing with a guy from another firm on a matter and we had 5 or 6 meetings together. Every meeting without fail he would mention the fact that he was pretty heavily involved with Dick Smith and that the float was one of the greatest offerings ever made in the Australia market. Quote ‘textbooks will be written about this’. He was completely insufferable. I wish I could have one more meeting with him to ask how it was all going now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/retail/dick-smith-receiver-removes-cfo-and-22-staff-20160204-gmle49.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

The member for Melbourne’s party from time to time tries to create the impression that it has a monopoly on empathy, a monopoly on morality. It doesnot. If the government were to follow the policies advocated by the Greens party in this regard, the consequence would not simply be tens of thousands of unauthorised arrivals coming to Australia, it would be thousands of deaths at sea.

Double majority.

A majority in both houses? There must be a snappier term.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu1QwdiK5rk

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Question time is a farce, I don't know why they bother showing up.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
look child rape and torture is unfortunate but

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
First draft of Turnbull's reply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YTJ-WPdoQ

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Those fuckers at the AFR posted:

Meet the man who tried to claim his 7-year-old son as a work expense

An IBM salesman who made $100,000 in bogus work claims, including his family grocery bill and $5000 in "secretarial services" from his seven year old, has lost in court.

Gary Ogden worked mostly from home selling IBM products during the 2011 and 2012 income years.

He claimed to have paid his son more than $5000 for secretarial services when in fact the son "sometimes ran upstairs to the study when the phone was ringing, answered the phone and then handed it to his father".

He claimed a whopping $63,294 in work-related expenses on declared salary of $209,048 in 2011. In 2012, he claimed $53,473 on income of $143,383.

This included $2,250 worth of groceries for "business partners" who rarely visited.

There was also $838 in relation for the cost of "overtime meals", one of which was taken at the BP at Marulan on the way to a family ski holiday and others at the St George Leagues Club, which was five minutes from his house.

According to Mr Ogden and his accountant, David McNeice, 30 per cent of the family home was used exclusively for work, including a "meeting room" which was in fact the living room. Two "storage areas" were in fact cupboards in the laundry and the space under the internal stairs.

An evening meal and breakfast the next morning were claimed on a number of occasions when Mr McNeice stayed overnight.

In a judgment in January, Administrative Appeals Tribunal deputy president Stephen Frost described Mr Ogden's behaviour as "disgraceful".

A parliamentary economics committee is considering whether scrapping work-related tax deductions could be traded off for lower personal income taxes.

In 2012-13, taxpayers claiming $19.7 billion in work-related expenses. Car expenses accounted for $8 billion, or 40 per cent, home office costs, tools, equipment and other assets $7 billion and travel $2 billion.

The government's Rethink discussion paper on tax reform asked whether a standard deduction could be introduced to cut compliance costs.

The Henry review recommended such an approach, and New Zealand "cashed out" work-related expenses to deliver a personal tax cut.

​​Justice Frost's decision highlights some of the most egregious claims in a series of courtroom exchanges and findings.

Monte Carlos and Kraft Easy Cheese
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Right. I did my own analysis of some of this claimed expenditure in the client - sorry - the staff and client amenities category. And unless I've made some errors, and I don't think I have, during the 2012 income year, that 12-month period, those ticks identified 39 packets of Monte Carlos?
MR OGDEN: Yes.
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: 39 packets?
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: I didn't separately record the White Wings Chunkies or the - sorry, just bear with me.
MS HAMMOND (representing the Tax Commissioner): The mini Wagon Wheels.
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: The Westons mini biscuits. The tins of Arnotts biscuits. The Wagon Wheels.
MS HAMMOND: Tiny Teddies.
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: I didn't record them separately either but what I did come up with was 39 packets of Monte Carlos. That struck me as more than passing strange, I've got to say. 39 packets. My own research indicates that there are 12 biscuits in a packet. That's 468 biscuits in the year. And that might sound a trivial thing for me to focus on but it does paint something of a picture. It's starting to paint a picture of quite indiscriminate deduction claims?
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: That's the picture that it's painting?
MR OGDEN: Yes. Yes.

MS HAMMOND: Then in August you purchase even more items for these clients. You purchase another two packets of the Bega Stringer Cheese. Now you've got four of these packets by this stage. You also purchase Bega dairy cheese in the eight pack, Bega slice cheese. Can I ask you, did you actually ever offer anybody a Bega stringer cheese?
MR OGDEN: Probably David when he's over.
MS HAMMOND: But David is not a business partner?
MR OGDEN: No.
MS HAMMOND: Did you offer the three gentlemen that you identified as coming to your home, a Bega stringer cheese?

DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Someone - you say it wasn't you - someone actually went through these receipts and put ticks next to these things. Some of the items that were ticked in that exercise although called "Tea" - t-e-a - in the summary at page 264?
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: It's actually 1.5 litre bottles of Lipton Iced Tea?
MR OGDEN: Iced tea, yes.
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: There are claims under the heading "Cheese" for Bega sliced cheese. There's a claim for Kraft Easy Cheese. You will forgive me for not knowing what Kraft Easy Cheese is. I subsequently have found out that Kraft Easy Cheese is cheese in a can that's dispensed in a sort of aerosol fashion. It comes out of a can almost like toothpaste, and I thought that would be a strange thing to be offering business partners or clients?
MR OGDEN: It would be, yes.
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: There's quite a bit of sliced cheese. I must say that struck me as more likely purchased for the purpose of putting on the children's lunches. That's the way it struck me. I could be wrong with that but that's the impression that I had. It really is quite a remarkable state of affairs that someone - and I suspect this but I don't know that there's really any way that I can become comfortably satisfied about it but I suspect that someone has gone through these receipts and ticked things, ticked items that maybe look as though we might be able to get away with in broad categories. The categories being cheese, biscuits, nuts and soft drinks. Because on a version of events, that's what's made available to clients and business partners, but it doesn't stack up. ...

Dora the Explorer pencil case
The deputy president later concluded: "Without wishing to labour the point, I note that Mr Ogden also claimed, as deductible "stationery", the following items – a wall chart, Texta colour pens, a "Dora the Explorer" pencil case, heart and star shaped stickers, crayons and art brushes. For the avoidance of doubt, I find that none of those were used in the course of gaining or producing his assessable income. Plainly, they are items purchased for use by his children."

Patio setting
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: "Mr Ogden also claimed a deduction for depreciation (to the extent of 50 per cent) of an outdoor patio setting comprising a table and several chairs. It was described as a "work table" and it seems that it was Mr McNeice who assessed it as being used for work purposes for 50 per cent of the time. Mr Ogden conceded that this was a setting that the family would "ordinarily" use. There was no reasonable basis for a depreciation claim to any extent, let alone 50 per cent. And yet a claim was made. At 50 per cent. For a patio setting, disguised as a "work table". Disgraceful.

The 'home office'
"This is a two-storey family home with a floor area of 282.76 m². Within the home there is a home office area of 5 m² which is used (but not exclusively) for work-related purposes. Measured by area, the home office represents 1.7682 per cent of the family home but Mr Ogden, on Mr McNeice's advice, claims to be entitled to claim, as a deduction against his assessable income, 31.6 per cent (reduced, progressively, to 24.3 per cent and eventually to 18.6 per cent) of his home loan interest expense. I find it difficult to understand how a registered tax agent could allow such a claim to be made.

"Whatever the figure is, Mr Ogden claims that it should be applied to home loan interest, building insurance, council rates, water rates and repair and maintenance costs so as to arrive at the amounts that would be deductible from his assessable income. No part of those outgoings was incurred in the course of gaining or producing his assessable income. No deduction is allowable.

Sunscreen and sunglasses
DEPUTY PRESIDENT: The Commissioner has allowed 20 per cent of the cost of sunscreen purchased by Mr Ogden during the relevant years. That equates to a deduction of $29 for the 2011 income year and $47 for 2012.

Mr Ogden says that this is not enough: his claim is for five-sevenths of the total amount he spent on sunscreen. He wants an extra $75 for the 2011 income year and an extra $122 for 2012.

He also claims, in the 2012 year, a deduction of $274.50 for replacement sunglasses and $15 for repairs.

As far as I can tell, Mr Ogden does not drive a car with a sunroof, so there should be minimal exposure to the sun while he is driving. Nor does he perform his work functions outdoors. His circumstances, to the extent that they have been disclosed to me, are nothing like those of Mr Fennell or Mr Fitton, and they are nowhere near the circumstances that Goldberg J considered relevant to making good a deduction claim.

On the evidence before me I would allow nothing to Mr Ogden for sunscreen or sunglasses.

RM Williams 'safety footwear'
DEPUTY COMMISSIONER: Mr Ogden claims a deduction of $383 in the 2012 income year for a pair of R.M. Williams rubber-soled shoes. It is described in his statement of facts, issues and contentions for that year as "Replacement of safety footwear".

In his affidavit, Exhibit A2, [Mr Ogden] described the basis for the claim in the following way, at [22]-[24]:

When I leave my desk I pick up static electricity from the carpet. When I was trained as a Computer Technician I was required to wear rubber soled shoes to protect against continual shocks from static electricity.

The Occupation Health and Safety manual from my first two employers both made an issue of the static electricity both from a Health and Safety perspective and also for the damage that is often caused to the computer hard drive in both the desktop computer and a laptop.

I wear my rubber soled RM Williams shoes Monday to Friday when working to prevent receiving a static electricity shock on each occasion that I returned to my computer.

DEPUTY COMMISSIONER: I must confess that in my entire life I have never heard this before. To be satisfied in relation to this claim I would need some evidence from an expert who could explain the science to me. I am not inclined to accept the proposition on Mr Ogden's assertion alone, especially since so much of his evidence in other areas has ranged from the exaggerated to the implausible. It looks to me like yet another attempt to have the Australian taxpayer, through the Commissioner, subsidise Mr Ogden's private expenditure. I reject the claim.

Secretarial services of son, 7
DEPUTY COMISSINER: I find that Mr Ogden's son did virtually nothing for his father by way of secretarial assistance or anything of that nature. Indeed, the evidence established no more than that the son sometimes ran upstairs to the study when the phone was ringing, answered the phone and then handed it to his father.

I also find that Mr Ogden paid his son nowhere near $5,388 during the 2012 income year. It is quite likely that he paid him some modest amounts of pocket money but that would have been completely unconnected with the "minimal" work that he did for his father. This claim, probably more than any other, casts both Mr Ogden and Mr McNeice in a most unfavourable light.

The next example I raise is very similar to the example of the Monte Carlo biscuits dealt with in [64] of these reasons. It demonstrates once again the indiscriminate claiming of deductions – this time for batteries. Mr Ogden's reasoning is that he sometimes uses batteries for work purposes. Therefore, he adds up all the amounts that he pays for batteries and then claims a deduction equal to 89 per cent of the total cost. There is no recording, and no analysis, of the extent to which any of that expenditure may be deductible. An apparently arbitrary 89 per cent is fixed upon as the deductible portion and the claim is made on that basis.

I'd like to thank the irc chan for doing the needful to allow this to come to light.

:nws: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6027/5971979084_a02a9a038c_o.jpg :nws:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

open24hours posted:

Question time is a farce, I don't know why they bother showing up.

I've thought similar over the last couple of years, it really is like an expensive and extremely traditional school-yard where every child is mid tantrum.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birb Katter posted:

I'd like to thank the irc chan for doing the needful to allow this to come to light.

ahahah Frosty loves dunking on fools, he's great

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Think being the only party that has a stance of: "Don't torture refugees" gives you a pretty strong case for having a monopoly on empathy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

There's a claim for Kraft Easy Cheese. You will forgive me for not knowing what Kraft Easy Cheese is. I subsequently have found out that Kraft Easy Cheese is cheese in a can that's dispensed in a sort of aerosol fashion. It comes out of a can almost like toothpaste, and I thought that would be a strange thing to be offering business partners or clients?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're not eating 468 Monte Carlos a year you're dead inside.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

"One child in detention is one child too many", now let me justify why these babies should be locked up.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Look if refugees didn't exist, we wouldn't have to torture them and they wouldn't have to suffer. It's like pet ownership.

Therefore I move that all refugees should be murdered on arrival in order to save lives.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

V for Vegas posted:

If you're not eating 468 Monte Carlos a year you're dead inside.

not mint slice

not tim tams

literal hitler

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Pretty interestin' page about the Sanctuary Movement in the US in the early eighties

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_movement

Though I doubt Border Force would bother with a spy network to infiltrate churches, in the event anyone manages to claim sanctuary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Birb Katter posted:

Yeah, they're really relying on the fact that people know what sanctuary is and that it's going to look bad, real bad, if they try to bust it up no matter the legal grounds they may have. The idea of churches across the country running smuggling operations and letting people chill is pretty awesome though.

It's a neat wedge as it forces the self-proclaimed defenders of Judeo-Christian Society to decide whether or not they want to send black-clad rapists border force personnel to storm a cathedral.

The Christian Church in it's various incarnations have been playing with the "narrative" for close to 2000 years. The smartest shill in Canberra is a novice in comparison.

e: Christian churches have been running people smuggling operations on and off for close to 2000 years as well.

• Locked thread