Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Hello and welcome to another glorious month in a technically livable country on Earth. Unfortunately the ocean has not yet opened up and pulled Queensland into its dark, watery embrace, so I've made you all this shiny new OP.

This is a thread in which Australian Politics is sometimes discussed, but mostly food. Is it a sausage sandwich or a sausage sizzle? Is it a bird? What ARE birds? We just don't know.

THE PLAYERS

The LNP

Not to be confused with New Zealand's best export, L&P, the Liberal-National Party of Australia is a weird amalgamation of liberals, conservatives, and vaguely sentient potatoes. Its erudite leader, Malcolm Turnbull, is celebrated for his success in turning the LNP's polling numbers around while doing sweet gently caress-all to actually change anything.

The ALP

Not to be outdone, the ALP has shown its own credentials at doing nothing. Its somewhat literate leader Phil Norton has done even more nothing than Malcolm Turnbull, cementing him as the best leader that the LNP has ever had.

The GREENS

Much like the leafy vegetable of the same name, everybody knows that the Greens are good for them, but nobody actually likes them. The ALP seem incredibly salty about the Greens, led by Actual Decent Politician Richard Di Natale, stealing their votes.

CLIVE PALMER

Basically Australia's Donald Trump. Or is Donald Trump Australia's Clive Palmer? We just don't know.

There is an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where Australians discuss things, presumably dark spooky things that man was not meant to know.

IRC Rules: Dont be a shithead, dont say racist, sexist, or nasty things. Dont discuss verboten topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First for The Australian Sex Party

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I approve of the thread title, I also think the National Radiation Laboratory in New Zealand really screwed the pooch regarding future nuclear programs.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 1, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sorry I couldn't do better Jonah.

Does anyone like Jonah? Asking for Jonah.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

He's better than Amethyst or Negligent? :shrug:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's better than Amethyst or Negligent? :shrug:

No way. Negligent sure, but I haven't been paying that much attention lately.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Redcordial posted:

I approve of the thread title, I also think the National Radiation Laboratory in New Zealand really screwed the pooch regarding future nuclear programs.

It certainly gave us a lot of ammunition for the NRL thread title this year. Eventually went with a clerks reference.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

iajanus posted:

It certainly gave us a lot of ammunition for the NRL thread title this year. Eventually went with a clerks reference.

I've never seen or would see the NRL thread as a Melbournian and unfortunately an AFL supporter, but I want to know the clerks referenced title.

Edit: I would stray to the sports section for the first time just to witness some clerks hilarity tbh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Weather bureaus have changed. They are no longer invisible organisations where avuncular bureaucrats use basic computers to deliver dodgy forecasts. Today’s weather bureaucrats are visible, sophisticated and ideological. But, despite a huge investment in supercomputers, their record for accurate forecasts remains dismal.

Their mission has expanded to include climate change advocacy, where agnostics are left in no doubt that significant weather abnormalities are evidence of global warming. They tinker with raw data but give inadequate explanation as to why. Their terrestrial records diverge increasingly with satellite and radiosonde datasets. Confidence in their integrity has been called into question.

Today’s bureaus have become climate change citadels. Their records are the repository of the Holy Grail. Regardless of doubts about their accuracy, they are protected. Hundreds of billions of dollars annually, including huge international transfer payments and tens of thousands of highly paid jobs, may depend on keeping records away from prying eyes.

Last August, a BBC Radio 4 program called What’s the Point of the Met Office? detailed the British agency’s history of dud predictions and its role as a parliamentary lobbyist. Rather than wait for an official complaint, the BBC issued a full-blown apology for “giving voice to climate-change sceptics” and “for failing to make it clear that they are a minority voice out of step with the scientific consensus”. According to program host Quentin Letts, Roger Harrabin, the BBC’s environment analyst, “went nuts” that the program was aired. Later, several BBC officials were required to undertake online training with a “substantial scenario on reporting climate-change science”.

Across the Atlantic, the US house science committee is conducting an investigation into the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a $6 billion-a-year government weather service, seeking access to internal deliberations around a groundbreaking climate change study. Amid allegations that the NOAA attempted to shape and direct the committee’s oversight, chairman Lamar Smith demanded to see thousands of emails that he thinks will show that by homogenising temperature records, researchers were able to refute claims that global warming over the past decade had paused. He accused the agency of altering the data to “get the results they needed”.

Whistleblower allegations say the NOAA “rushed to publication over the objections of numerous scientists at the agency”. The NOAA has refused to hand over the emails.

Australia has its own concerns with homogenisation. Blogger Joanne Nova has reported on it for years. Scientist Jennifer Marohasy has been persistent in seeking answers to why perfectly good raw data is manipulated to turn a cooling trend into a warming one.

Auditor Ken Stewart studied thousands of Bureau of Meteorology records and demonstrates it has a case to answer. The response is to stonewall and, when information is released, to offer no means of replication. Data is converted into vague probabilities that, when technically correct, are still often meaningless. Weather agencies stand accused of a culture of “snowing” sceptics.

When then prime minister Tony Abbott wanted to establish a taskforce to investigate the bureau’s temperature dataset and other related records, the cabinet, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and his department all came to the bureau’s aid by watering down the proposal and setting up a panel approved by the BoM to “strengthen governance oversight”.

Hunt said: “In doing this, it is important to note that public trust in the bureau’s data and forecasts, particularly as they relate to bushfires and cyclones, is paramount.”

It is good to have friends in high places. Better not to know that the bank’s books have been fiddled in case the market loses confidence.

At least American taxpayers have a champion in Lamar Smith, who complained to the US Commerce Secretary that the NOAA’s top officials had “obstructed” his committee’s oversight role. He said NOAA had refused voluntarily and under subpoena to hand over critical information. “It is the end product of exchanges between scientists — the detailed understanding of scientific work that underpins the authors’ findings,” he said.

The scientists argue that Smith is setting a dangerous precedent of interfering with independent scientific work.

Australian weather officials seem to share NOAA’s views. They reject full transparency in the face of informed criticism of their work. Stonewalling, and appeals to authority, are the defence. In any other field this would be a scandal.

Is the BoM’s methodology commercial in confidence or do taxpayers, who pay more than $300 million a year for this agency, have a right to know?

Confidence in weather bureaus will continue to decline until the world is finally satisfied through thorough independent investigation and audit that the vital records over which they exercise monopoly control are the result of a scientifically rigorous, replicable process. Nothing has changed since 2009, when John Theon, retired chief of NASA’s Climate Processes Research Program and responsible for all weather and climate research, testified “scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify their model results”. Complaining about lack of transparency, he said: “It is contrary to the way science is done.”

Memo to Australia’s Auditor General: There is an urgent job to be done.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I read a Junkee article today and it was quite a nice definition of our antipathy towards those seeking help, and diffusion of morality etc.

http://junkee.com/no-shame-why-most-australians-feel-okay-about-tormenting-asylum-seekers/72827

"Stanford University Professor Emeritus of Social Science in Psychology; Albert Bandura’s theory of moral disengagement so neatly applies to Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers it’s almost as if Howard and his heirs misread the theory as an instruction manual. The theory describes the many ways moral codes can be disabled to avoid the negative feelings like shame and guilt normally associated with behaving immorally. It explains the capacity for human beings to be generally terrible in areas ranging from aggression in children, to approval of violence towards animals, to bullying, cheating and corruption, right up to medieval crusades and witch-hunts, as well as modern genocides.

There are four different aspects of moral disengagement, pictured below, and Australia’s managerial elites have diligently upheld them all in their treatment of asylum seekers. They relate to the immoral behaviour itself, the effects of the behaviour, the victims, and the responsibility for the actions.

Moral agency is also minimised by diffusion of responsibility, meaning people don’t feel personally responsible when many others are involved. This happens at the governmental level, where group decision-making is at play. Researchers have found that people act more cruelly as part of a group than when they hold themselves personally responsible for their actions. Conversely, where everyone is responsible, no one feels responsible. This process also occurs at the broader population level and is known as the bystander effect; the more witnesses to a tragedy, the less likely any single person will intervene. You and I can enjoy our delicious carcinogenic baby pig sandwiches in peace because we assume someone else will sort out that asylum seeker torture business."

"You and I can enjoy our delicious carcinogenic baby pig sandwiches in peace because we assume someone else will sort out that asylum seeker torture business."

"You and I can enjoy our delicious carcinogenic baby pig sandwiches in peace because we assume someone else will sort out that asylum seeker torture business."

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 1, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Redcordial posted:

I've never seen or would see the NRL thread as a Melbournian and unfortunately an AFL supporter, but I want to know the clerks referenced title.

Edit: I would stray to the sports section for the first time just to witness some clerks hilarity tbh.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762134

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Thanks for that! Good choice too btw. :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Redcordial posted:

Thanks for that! Good choice too btw. :)

There was a disturbing amount of candidates proposed for this year's title. God bless our wonderful game :australia: (needs a dog version)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

There was a disturbing amount of candidates proposed for this year's title. God bless our wonderful game :australia: (needs a dog version)

:britain: works

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*screams externally*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Strangely the superleague players manage to avoid having dog loving photos circulated.

Must be something cultural that's different. They are smart enough to not document their bestiality....

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

And they need a :mrapig: flag

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hello friends let's hope that something positive happens to us in February

It most likely won't, but not all my hope is gone yet

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Spudd posted:

Hello friends let's hope that something positive happens to us in February

It most likely won't, but not all my hope is gone yet

Hey Spudd!

Someone was asking where you'd gone in the crew thread :3

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So which Australian sports code/politician is going to be rocked by horrible totally avoidable scandal this month?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Jonah doesn't particularly mind either way but Jonah thanks you for your concern

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Daryush "Roosh" Valizadeh, founder of the self-styled men's advocacy group Return of Kings, announced on Twitter on Monday evening that he had booked a ticket on a flight to Australia.

"F--- it, I just booked a flight to Australia. See you somewhere there on 2/6. I'll stay a while, see some sights," Mr Valizadeh tweeted with an screen shot of flight options to Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne.

"To all attractive Australian girls in age range of 18-22. I'm coming to your country and am free to meet for drinks," he tweeted.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-petitioned-to-stop-return-of-kings-meetings-20160201-gmj03r.html#ixzz3yvXnE9kk

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When I was flying I was generally quite impressed with the accuracy of weather forecasts.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Jonah doesn't particularly mind either way but Jonah thanks you for your concern

My thoughts are with the family of Jonah.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

When I was flying I was generally quite impressed with the accuracy of weather forecasts.

Yeah weather forecasting days is pretty legit these days. Last year would check the weather pretty much everyday and there was only a couple of days I remember where they would get a forecast noticeably wrong from two or three days out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

So which Australian sports code/politician is going to be rocked by horrible totally avoidable scandal this month?

I believe Ian "Molly" Meldrum is totally not loving little kids over in Thailand at the moment.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lid posted:

Daryush "Roosh" Valizadeh, founder of the self-styled men's advocacy group Return of Kings, announced on Twitter on Monday evening that he had booked a ticket on a flight to Australia.

"F--- it, I just booked a flight to Australia. See you somewhere there on 2/6. I'll stay a while, see some sights," Mr Valizadeh tweeted with an screen shot of flight options to Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne.

"To all attractive Australian girls in age range of 18-22. I'm coming to your country and am free to meet for drinks," he tweeted.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-petitioned-to-stop-return-of-kings-meetings-20160201-gmj03r.html#ixzz3yvXnE9kk

So another visa for Potato Dutton to cancel then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hooman posted:

Apparently scandal is unavoidable for the NRL so I'm guessing the AFL?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Weather bureaus have changed. They are no longer invisible organisations where avuncular bureaucrats use basic computers to deliver dodgy forecasts. Today’s weather bureaucrats are visible, sophisticated and ideological. But, despite a huge investment in supercomputers, their record for accurate forecasts remains dismal.

Their mission has expanded to include climate change advocacy, where agnostics are left in no doubt that significant weather abnormalities are evidence of global warming. They tinker with raw data but give inadequate explanation as to why. Their terrestrial records diverge increasingly with satellite and radiosonde datasets. Confidence in their integrity has been called into question.

Today’s bureaus have become climate change citadels. Their records are the repository of the Holy Grail. Regardless of doubts about their accuracy, they are protected. Hundreds of billions of dollars annually, including huge international transfer payments and tens of thousands of highly paid jobs, may depend on keeping records away from prying eyes.

Last August, a BBC Radio 4 program called What’s the Point of the Met Office? detailed the British agency’s history of dud predictions and its role as a parliamentary lobbyist. Rather than wait for an official complaint, the BBC issued a full-blown apology for “giving voice to climate-change sceptics” and “for failing to make it clear that they are a minority voice out of step with the scientific consensus”. According to program host Quentin Letts, Roger Harrabin, the BBC’s environment analyst, “went nuts” that the program was aired. Later, several BBC officials were required to undertake online training with a “substantial scenario on reporting climate-change science”.

Across the Atlantic, the US house science committee is conducting an investigation into the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a $6 billion-a-year government weather service, seeking access to internal deliberations around a groundbreaking climate change study. Amid allegations that the NOAA attempted to shape and direct the committee’s oversight, chairman Lamar Smith demanded to see thousands of emails that he thinks will show that by homogenising temperature records, researchers were able to refute claims that global warming over the past decade had paused. He accused the agency of altering the data to “get the results they needed”.

Whistleblower allegations say the NOAA “rushed to publication over the objections of numerous scientists at the agency”. The NOAA has refused to hand over the emails.

Australia has its own concerns with homogenisation. Blogger Joanne Nova has reported on it for years. Scientist Jennifer Marohasy has been persistent in seeking answers to why perfectly good raw data is manipulated to turn a cooling trend into a warming one.

Auditor Ken Stewart studied thousands of Bureau of Meteorology records and demonstrates it has a case to answer. The response is to stonewall and, when information is released, to offer no means of replication. Data is converted into vague probabilities that, when technically correct, are still often meaningless. Weather agencies stand accused of a culture of “snowing” sceptics.

When then prime minister Tony Abbott wanted to establish a taskforce to investigate the bureau’s temperature dataset and other related records, the cabinet, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and his department all came to the bureau’s aid by watering down the proposal and setting up a panel approved by the BoM to “strengthen governance oversight”.

Hunt said: “In doing this, it is important to note that public trust in the bureau’s data and forecasts, particularly as they relate to bushfires and cyclones, is paramount.”

It is good to have friends in high places. Better not to know that the bank’s books have been fiddled in case the market loses confidence.

At least American taxpayers have a champion in Lamar Smith, who complained to the US Commerce Secretary that the NOAA’s top officials had “obstructed” his committee’s oversight role. He said NOAA had refused voluntarily and under subpoena to hand over critical information. “It is the end product of exchanges between scientists — the detailed understanding of scientific work that underpins the authors’ findings,” he said.

The scientists argue that Smith is setting a dangerous precedent of interfering with independent scientific work.

Australian weather officials seem to share NOAA’s views. They reject full transparency in the face of informed criticism of their work. Stonewalling, and appeals to authority, are the defence. In any other field this would be a scandal.

Is the BoM’s methodology commercial in confidence or do taxpayers, who pay more than $300 million a year for this agency, have a right to know?

Confidence in weather bureaus will continue to decline until the world is finally satisfied through thorough independent investigation and audit that the vital records over which they exercise monopoly control are the result of a scientifically rigorous, replicable process. Nothing has changed since 2009, when John Theon, retired chief of NASA’s Climate Processes Research Program and responsible for all weather and climate research, testified “scientists have manipulated the observed data to justify their model results”. Complaining about lack of transparency, he said: “It is contrary to the way science is done.”

Memo to Australia’s Auditor General: There is an urgent job to be done.

I wonder which right wing climate change denier came up with this

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Mithranderp posted:

Hey Spudd!

Someone was asking where you'd gone in the crew thread :3

Hai! I just haven't had anything to post lately but today I start my work for the dole. For some reason they won't accept any of my study done with Careers Australia so it's turned into an argument between myself and my jsp until they get off my case and let me finish my diploma.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do the BOM actually keep their data and methodology secret? What data do they want that they can't have?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

open24hours posted:

Do the BOM actually keep their data and methodology secret? What data do they want that they can't have?

The written confession about climate change being a leftist conspiracy of course.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
"Well they can't predict the weather accurately all the time so why bother at all?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Can't wait to hear about the journalist that infiltrates the Rapist Jamboree and ends up in a sad bar with five pasty twenty year olds

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it is the OP we deserved.

All is poo poo. It is likely to get worse. :suicide:

The LNP have already started leaking their talking points in advance so they can get extra coverage :sigh:

It's like watching a depth charge go off in a sewerage farm in high def. slow mo.

My only solace is the right can't seem to help picking at their own scabs. So we get to watch all the right wing commentariat rip Clive Palmer a new one while the 'hard right' take increasingly exasperated hay makers at Turdball and Co. Parliament returns today with the only slight light on the horizon being the vague possibility the ABCC legislation gets broadened to a full blown federal corruption watchdog. Which won't happen over a huge pile of ALP LNP dead bodies but that image is at least satisfying.

Oh and business confidence is once again in the shitter!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My friend, who is left wing and somewhat of a feminist activist (shes an amazing and cool person) yesterday said "You know Turnbull isn't that bad" and i think i had an aneurysm please send help

e: clarity

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's actually a genius move on their part. Have Abbott be Abbott for a year then by comparison anyone else looks amazing.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Recoome posted:

My friend, who is left wing and somewhat of a feminist activist (shes an amazing and cool person) yesterday said "You know Turnbull isn't that bad" and i think i had an aneurysm please send help

e: clarity

Most Australian "leftwing" people aren't actually left wing at all and are just classical liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nah mate I'm in favour of gay marriage and wind farms so I'm obviously a leftist.

• Locked thread