Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Update: my fingers hurt a lot, the screw is still in. Going to the local hardware store to pick up some quality screwdrivers, not just my dinky tiny one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So, it's in, it's on, it should be working. It detects the new 8GB ram, but the new msata doesn't show up in My Computer. It does show up in device manager, though...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yep mine didn't either until I cloned it and restarted.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

nwin posted:

Yep mine didn't either until I cloned it and restarted.

Ah, ok. So should I clone it using that whatsit program (nothing came with the drive I got, not sure about yours) that someone posted, then shut down, then boot to BIOS and switch the boot drive to the SSD?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Looking into a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series with the following specs:

i7-6700HQ
8 GB RAM
1TB 5.4k Hybrid HDD + 8G Cache
Windows 10 Pro

For $949.

I'll swap out the hard drive with a 500 GB SSD that I already have, and replace the RAM with two of these.

Any obvious problems with this plan?

I'm going to use this to run VMs with processor-intensive applications on them, so a fast CPU and lots of RAM are important.

Hadlock posted:

Skylake supports DDR4 which will have 16GB SO-DIMMS so make sure you're buying the right memory.

Well, apparently Dell reserves DDR4 support only for XPS 15, so it looks like I'm stuck with DDR3.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Teddybear posted:

Ah, ok. So should I clone it using that whatsit program (nothing came with the drive I got, not sure about yours) that someone posted, then shut down, then boot to BIOS and switch the boot drive to the SSD?

Yeah, Macrium Reflect...I just cloned it with that, then shut down, entered the BIOS screen and didn't see anywhere to switch drives, but oddly when I restarted, it had automatically made the SSD my boot drive. That's when it showed up in My Computer.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

oh my god it's so fast it's crazy :3:

I'm still mulling whether to upgrade this to Windows 10 or leave it on 7-- a Core i5 at 2.60 with 8GB and an SSD should be able to handle it, right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Anyone have screwdriver recommendations to change the ram/hd on the t420? The one I ordered from amazon doesn't fit :negative:. Cheap or locally available would be ideal.
Anything including PH0, PH00 and PH000 bits.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Teddybear posted:

I'm still mulling whether to upgrade this to Windows 10 or leave it on 7-- a Core i5 at 2.60 with 8GB and an SSD should be able to handle it, right?

Assuming the t420 has drivers for Windows 10, yes it can handle it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

havenwaters posted:

Assuming the t420 has drivers for Windows 10, yes it can handle it.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535#thinkpad

Looks like no. Ah well, whatever. Windows 7 is fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

It looks like it may work anyway from a guy on the lenovo support forums but since it's not officially supported not sure.

He did an upgrade install. It took about 2 hours but it worked.

edit: and a couple things don't have drivers so you have to use win 7 ones in compatiblity mode and/or the default win 10 drivers. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-driver-problem-windows-10/m-p/2186741

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 4, 2016

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, I'll just uninstall the windows 10 nag. Somehow.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, I'll just uninstall the windows 10 nag. Somehow.

Update for Microsoft Windows KB3035583 was the first one that started the "install windows 10" thing. After you uninstall it you have to hide it so it won't get reinstalled. I'm not sure if there were other updates you have to remove too.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Teddybear posted:

If you really want 10 you should try it, because it may be able to either carry forward the drivers from 7 or find new ones in Windows Update that work fine. I've updated my E6320 which is a platform from the same generation to 10 and it had no issues at all. Official support from Lenovo isn't very meaningful since you're not likely to be contacting them about a secondhand refurb anyway.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Anything including PH0, PH00 and PH000 bits.

Thanks, I managed to get the ram upgraded and cloned windows over to the SSD. Finally having a boxy thinkpad with a nub mouse and working keyboard makes me feel good.

Eletriarnation posted:

If you really want 10 you should try it, because it may be able to either carry forward the drivers from 7 or find new ones in Windows Update that work fine. I've updated my E6320 which is a platform from the same generation to 10 and it had no issues at all. Official support from Lenovo isn't very meaningful since you're not likely to be contacting them about a secondhand refurb anyway.

I haven't decided yet either about the upgrade, but I might give it a go.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Teddybear posted:

FWIW, I had no trouble with Windows 10 on my X220. Not entirely sure how similar the hardware is but same generation, at least.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I have a windows tablet with a 1.33ghz cpu (z3745 atom i think) and 2 gigs of ram with windows 10, after the new big update, runs very smooth on it.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any opinions on the Surface Book, especially stability and build quality? I've been debating about that being my next laptop (timeline of getting it early next year with whatever is the highest specs they offer).

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Girlfriend is looking to put her falling apart laptop to rest and finally invest in a new piece of equipment. Her requirements are pretty vague:

Girlfriend posted:

Must be thin/light transportable
Must have graphics chip
Must be able to put on my lap without scalding it with basic usage
Must be able to type on it comfortably
Must have enough OOMPH to get the job done both processor wise and RAM wise

Basically she wants something with a dedicated graphics card to play games and wants the device to still be usable in 4-5 years. Her original thought was a Surface Book with the discrete graphics chip but we're looking to see what else is out there. It doesn't necessarily need the beefiest graphics card but her current integrated graphics has been pretty terrible for the last few years so she wants to future proof a bit. She had bad experiences with Thinkpads back when they were still Lenovo so she's pretty anti-Thinkpad these days. Any recommendations?

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 4, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Well there's always the Dell XPS 15 though there's been some history of BSODs on that one and you don't want the base version since it has the smaller battery and a standard mechanical hard-drive.

Asus has a similar sort of computer but it's less expensive and a little heavier (latest asus pro ux501 or something)

edit: yeah surface pro 4 doesn't have a discrete chip though the surface pro 4 i7 has iris graphics which is better then the basic integrated but not as good as a dedicated gpu.

What sort of games does she want to play. The surface book gpu is some custom nvidia 940m thing that is clocked a bit slower than the 940m but also has gddr5 ram so in the end is faster than the 940m in some ways since it has faster ram.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Radioactive Toy posted:

Girlfriend is looking to put her falling apart laptop to rest and finally invest in a new piece of equipment. Her requirements are pretty vague:

Basically she wants something with a dedicated graphics card to play games and wants the device to still be usable in 4-5 years. Her original thought was a Surface Pro 4 with the discrete graphics chip but we're looking to see what else is out there. It doesn't necessarily need the beefiest graphics card but her current integrated graphics has been pretty terrible for the last few years so she wants to future proof a bit. She had bad experiences with Thinkpads back when they were still Lenovo so she's pretty anti-Thinkpad these days. Any recommendations?

I don't think the Surface Pro 4 has the discrete chip, you're thinking of the Surface Book. Which would easily meet all of her criteria, if you have $3000 for. The Razer blade also would work, but again, $$$. What is your budget for this?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Skandranon posted:

I don't think the Surface Pro 4 has the discrete chip, you're thinking of the Surface Book. Which would easily meet all of her criteria, if you have $3000 for. The Razer blade also would work, but again, $$$. What is your budget for this?

Whoops you're right, I meant the Surface Book, I will edit my original post. She's willing to spend the $3000 for it if opinions are high enough, but obviously something a little less wouldn't hurt. The more I'm talking to her now the more she seems pretty impressed with a Surface Book so I'm not sure I'd be able to convince her that anything else is better, but I'll check out the Razer Blade and see how that looks as well. Thanks!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Radioactive Toy posted:

Whoops you're right, I meant the Surface Book, I will edit my original post. She's willing to spend the $3000 for it if opinions are high enough, but obviously something a little less wouldn't hurt. The more I'm talking to her now the more she seems pretty impressed with a Surface Book so I'm not sure I'd be able to convince her that anything else is better, but I'll check out the Razer Blade and see how that looks as well. Thanks!

If she wants a dGPU that can be used for the next 4-5 years the one that comes with the surface book is a 940m, and next to useless for playing games. I strongly encourage her to go for a 970m at the minimum, which is roughly comparable to a desktop 960. Even better would be a 980m, comparable to a desktop 970, but those are tricky to find in non-super bulky models.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys! So ultimately, I decided to go for the Alienware 15 R2. I honestly felt like it was my best option, to be frank. Even though the 17 was only a couple pounds heavier and not HUGELY bigger in terms of dimensions, well, there's a big different between a 15-inch laptop and a 17-inch one, and 17-inch ones are just impractical and absurd as portable items whereas you can actually bring a 15-inch laptop in your bag and not look like a total idiot using it in public. So I am feeling glad about sticking with the 15 inch. And frankly, Alienware's design is now nicer and less garish than anything you'd see from Asus or MSI on their gaming laptops. Not to mention AW has better cooling.

I paid a total of ~$1550 for it (including tax) ordering from Dell directly (this was cheaper actually with coupons and seemed better than going through amazon or newegg). It had the following stats:

code:
GPU:  GTX 970m/3GB VRAM
CPU: i7-6700HQ (SkyLake)
Storage: 128GB M.2 SSD Boot drive (Samsung probably) + 1TB 7200RPM HDD
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
Display: 1080 15.6" FHD IPS anti-glare 220-nits
Warranty: 1 year premium support/onsite service
The 220-nits display had been troubling me a bit, but since I literally never use my laptop outside (living in Maine probably has something to do with that) this honestly does not much matter much to me I don't think.

What really pushed me over the edge into feeling like this was OK to buy was reading the following review which DID seem pretty positive overall:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R2-Notebook-Review.153808.0.html

I remembered that notebookcheck was very on-point and accurate in its reviews of laptops back several years ago, and that still seems true. Even though the one they're reviewing has a 980m GPU, I think everything else is more or less the same (they had 256GB SSD and mine will be 128GB meh and they have 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB but these don't matter too much I don't think).

Anyway, everything feels very positive with the exception of the screen. I don't live in a basement but as someone highly sensitive to bright light I always stay in fairly low-light environments, and I'm hoping the cafes I frequent won't cause any trouble in terms of light environments. In reading reviews from people who've had this laptop, I've heard this issue is really not as bad as it might seem, though. I admit to being worried about it being really atrocious.

Anyway! Hopefully this is all nothing to worry about. If the monitor is really atrocious or I have some problem I can trade it back to Dell for a 17 or a 15 with an upgraded monitor, already talked to someone about it. They're pretty flexible about that stuff as long as they don't have to give you any money back, fuckers.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Radioactive Toy posted:

There is also the new Razer which is meant to work with their new Thunderbolt GPU dock, which might be better long term, depends on exactly what kind of games she wants to play, and how she intends to do it (on couch or at desk).

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Newegg hasn't sent me tracking info for my laptop yet (I ordered a few days ago)but they were selling it through a third party. Should I panic yet?

I ordered an SSD in the same transaction and I got tracking info day of.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like I might be in the market for a new laptop again. If my only requirements are that I want something light, with a long battery life, excellent Linux support, and isn't so weak that it cannot handle 1080p streaming video, what manufacturers/brands should I look into?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Moddington posted:

It looks like I might be in the market for a new laptop again. If my only requirements are that I want something light, with a long battery life, excellent Linux support, and isn't so weak that it cannot handle 1080p streaming video, what manufacturers/brands should I look into?

Not officially supported but the skylake XPS 13 works with Linux though the wifi may be a pain to install/may have to swap it out with an intel wifi chip if you even can.

Dell's going to put out a Developer Edition XPS 13 later in the year for the Skylake version that should come with a version of ubuntu and an intel wifi chip.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Newegg hasn't sent me tracking info for my laptop yet (I ordered a few days ago)but they were selling it through a third party. Should I panic yet?

I ordered an SSD in the same transaction and I got tracking info day of.

No, you shouldn't. I likely ordered my E6230 from the same supplier (Think Green PC) and they took a few days to give me tracking information. If your experience is like mine, they'll also print the label a fair bit before they actually use it so you'll get a tracking number but it won't work for a day or two. I'd like to think they test the laptop one more time before they send it out but who knows.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
What are the major drawbacks to the zenbook UX305CA-EHM1? That's the 1080p non-touch version, 8gb+256gb ssd.

I'm assuming ghosting due to a cheap IPS, cheap keys. I'm avoiding the QHD version for battery life and the fact that Microsoft still hasn't figured out how to make display scaling work, in 2016.

$700 is really the top of my price range, or I'd look at the XPS13.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I didn't notice a general questions thread, so here goes:

Are antivirus programs still a thing? I've been on Mac for years so I haven't bothered with them...now that I have a Windows laptop, I remembered that I might need one.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Harik posted:

What are the major drawbacks to the zenbook UX305CA-EHM1? That's the 1080p non-touch version, 8gb+256gb ssd.

I'm assuming ghosting due to a cheap IPS, cheap keys. I'm avoiding the QHD version for battery life and the fact that Microsoft still hasn't figured out how to make display scaling work, in 2016.

$700 is really the top of my price range, or I'd look at the XPS13.

Probably some of that and if they're still doing it (haswell version) it'll be an m.2 ssd in an adapter shoved into the 2.5 inch sata3 slot.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Edited out the original because it's no longer relevant. So far I can report that the X230 is neat, that the TN screen is tolerable, and that windows 10 is hot garbage.

It seems like every sleeve/shell/case is tailored to macs, but the Case Logic QNS fits my thinkpad drat near perfectly.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 5, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

nwin posted:

Are antivirus programs still a thing? I've been on Mac for years so I haven't bothered with them...now that I have a Windows laptop, I remembered that I might need one.

Definitely not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nwin posted:

Just grab the free version of Avast if you need peace of mind.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That'll hurt your security, not help. For example, https://code.google.com/p/google-security-research/issues/detail?id=679

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The entire anti-virus industry is a sham. Stay the hell away.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

nwin posted:

Use Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials depending on your version of Windows. Everything else makes your PC slower but doesn't increase security much.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes, use the built in Microsoft virus checker. It's on by default. You shouldn't need to worry about it unless you download weird software from shady sites.

Install flashblock, ublock, and ghostery plugins, use Chrome web browser, and don't install Java and you should be immune to most everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
This is the place to ask questions, right? I read the OP, but the laptop market still seems like quite a jungle to me, so here's my situation for your perusal:

I'm in the market for a nice low-end laptop to replace my trusty but increasingly obsolescent 2009 macbook.

I don't give a hoot about playing games on it, I just want to be able to browse the internet and do office work. No graphical design, nothing fancier than Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I would quite like a windows computer – I was always very slightly annoyed by OSX, though I grant that that's likely at least partially caused by running an aging version (due to worries that a newer might finally kill the old workhorse).

So, in order of importance:

Price
Windows 10
Office
Battery life
Weight
SSD

Can I ask for some recommendations based on this?

Also, are there any shocking developments on the horizon – in other words, does it make more sense than usual to wait before buying? I CAN wait, but the completely dead battery on my old computer is becoming a touch annoying.