Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dodoman posted:

until their saviour tori entered the scene

Yeah, I'm really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
outsourcing shifts your work from coding to project management. local devs write code to get the job done, contractors write code to meet the spec. if your spec didn't consider every issue when it was written, you will need to fix them later on at much greater cost instead of your developers noticing it and adapting during development. for any non-trivial program the overhead of writing sufficiently detailed specs and validating the results exceeds that of writing it yourself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Management posted:

outsourcing shifts your work from coding to project management. local devs write code to get the job done, contractors write code to meet the spec. if your spec didn't consider every issue when it was written, you will need to fix them later on at much greater cost instead of your developers noticing it and adapting during development. for any non-trivial program the overhead of writing sufficiently detailed specs and validating the results exceeds that of writing it yourself

:eyepoop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If you write a complete spec for a program, aren't you essentially writing in a query language that gets run by other human beings and which returns a computer program :eek:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Linguica posted:

If you write a complete spec for a program, aren't you essentially writing in a query language that gets run by other human beings and which returns a computer program :eek:

:pwn:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

if you write a perfect spec, you are writing the program. the other people are just typists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, that's the point, programmers are typists. they're just being paid to write in java rather than english.

given the output you might as well go back to the old days and pay them by the line

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 3, 2016

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

infernal machines posted:

yes, that's the point, programmers are typists. they're just being paid to write in java rather than english.

given the output you might as well go back to the old days and pay them by the line
hell yeah, glad we use allman style

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

another good reason why } else { is the work of satan Himself

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

whole lot of code poo poo i dont care about in this thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yo making calls w/ a computer over handoff is p nice, good job

welp that's my story

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

what possible advantage could that have over just using the phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

what possible advantage could that have over just using the phone

my phone is on the charger in the other room, I'm sitting in front of my computer. it rings, I answer the call. my text messages (not just iMessages) also get sent there and I can reply. it's convenient

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

same, but with my piss jug

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also when im on the train i never have to take my phone out of my pocket, you can even initiate personal hotspot from the mac

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

handoff is really really good and unironically Just Works

Jenny Agutter posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

you guys don't remember the outsourcing trend of the mid 2000's where idiot third world code janitors were going to do all of your computer touching for pennies. it turns out their code was garbage (even worse than yours) and any company that tried it got burned hard by the unusable poo poo they produced. somebody probably still got a bonus out of it

i liked when they posted huge chunks of proprietary corporate code on public coding help sites

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

walt shat out a dumb post along the lines of the meme that marco started last year, probably cause it's nilay's editorital policy. good thing is apple actually responds to tehse dumb memes this time instead of letting every jerk off project whatever bug they're currently running into some broader narrative

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10900612/walt-mossberg-apple-iphone-ios-mac-osx-app-problems

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

infernal machines posted:

amazing, and how long do you think this western advantage will last in the face of the rapid modernization of places like china and india?

rong time :D

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cremnob posted:

walt shat out a dumb post along the lines of the meme that marco started last year, probably cause it's nilay's editorital policy. good thing is apple actually responds to tehse dumb memes this time instead of letting every jerk off project whatever bug they're currently running into some broader narrative

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10900612/walt-mossberg-apple-iphone-ios-mac-osx-app-problems

old news. apple software has always been trash.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Perplx posted:

also when im on the train i never have to take my phone out of my pocket, you can even initiate personal hotspot from the mac

wait- really? how do I do this

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Necc0 posted:

click the wireless icon on the top bar, it'll list any idevice nearby attached to the same icloud account, pick that, bam, tethered

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Necc0 posted:

click on the wifi settings in the corner, go down to your iphone

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

zen death robot posted:

It's more interesting than posting clickbait links

thanks for the red text, u should give me a better avatar tho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

broken clock opsec posted:

click the wireless icon on the top bar, it'll list any idevice nearby attached to the same icloud account, pick that, bam, tethered

ah this owns. there's always so many networks here I never noticed it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

you can do the same thing with ipads. settings > wifi > iphone

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
offshoring: you ask the developers to jump 50 times, the next day you get a video of them jumping over a piece of paper that says "50 times"

inhouse: you ask the developers to jump 50 times and they tell you that's out of scope for this release and also they each spent 2 and a half hours either in the bathroom or on lunch break or both

contractors: you ask them to jump 50 times and by the time they're done they've already responded to three different linkedin recruiters

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

offshoring: you ask the developers to jump 50 times, the next day you get a video of them jumping over a piece of paper that says "50 times"

inhouse: you ask the developers to jump 50 times and they tell you that's out of scope for this release and also they each spent 2 and a half hours either in the bathroom or on lunch break or both

contractors: you ask them to jump 50 times and by the time they're done they've already responded to three different linkedin recruiters

like and subscribe

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fw: fw: FW: Re: Fw: HILARIOUS JOKE! All programmers have seen THIS

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

carry on then posted:

fw: fw: FW: Re: Fw: HILARIOUS JOKE! All programmers have seen THIS

don't post reactions no one has ever had to your posts

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

I'm an in-house developer and read this post in the bathroom. :nexus:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

c mail client status:

polymail is exactly mailbox.app

only supports gmail and iCloud emails rn, but it's Great.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cremnob posted:

thanks for the red text, u should give me a better avatar tho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ban cremnob

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

c mail client status:

polymail is exactly mailbox.app

only supports gmail and iCloud emails rn, but it's Great.

what's wrong with Mail? they copied the swiping from Mailbox and you can even ask siri to "remind me about this tomorrow"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

oh boy get ready for another whiny marco bitchfest on the next ATP, but except this time they think their complaints are legit because walt wrote a post and its another datapoint so therefore there must be something there!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mishaq posted:

ban cremnob

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of bad podcasts, I tried listening to gruber today and and holy poo poo that guy is a rambling mess. I remember why I don't listen to his show

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mishaq posted:

ban cremnob

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

THC posted:

what's wrong with Mail? they copied the swiping from Mailbox and you can even ask siri to "remind me about this tomorrow"

Mail.app is a loving pile of poo poo and I hate supporting staff members at my work who use it, that's why.

• Locked thread