Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ADINSX posted:

I dropped my SV pretty hard trying to load it onto a truck :eng99:

Not all drops are from riding, I dropped a different bike trying to get it off its maintenance stand; it takes time to understand how to handle something as heavy as bike in different situations.

I dropped my SV when I was washing it. It wasn't in gear, and I was cleaning the wheels when I pushed it just hard enough to take it off its kickstand. I was crouched at the back of the bike so there wasn't time to catch it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gillingham posted:

This is opposite of some article I read, :welp: yay for me packing incorrectly on all my camping trips.

Although being top heavy may be detrimental to handling a bike on rough surfaces wouldnt it? Since the bike is already going to be off camber potentially quite a bit wouldn't what you stated not apply as much and the weight up top is just going to make you want to go sideways more? I can stop by your office hours for more clarification :shobon:

Someone who rides a dirt bike should give their opinion, but I'd imagine yes, it would be a disadvantage for that kind of riding. When the road is so bad that the bike is going to be upset all the time anyway, you might as well keep the weight down (= lower rotational inertia) so that it's easier to recover. Also since you're likely to be using your legs to keep the bike upright at various times.

But that's like, serious off-road stuff with boulders and things. I think on a dirt path or fire road the normal moving dynamics will be predominant, so keeping the weight high isn't a disadvantage.

It's not that one way is inherently better, just suitable for different things. Weight up high = stable in a straight line and smooth curves, doesn't react as much to input forces, more forgiving of steering inputs. Weight down low = more squirrelly at all speeds, but more maneuverable and reactive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

6ft rider here. Let me help you with that.
-Grabbing too much front brake on the first ride home. Twice.
-Forgetting that it is not self balancing and pushing it forward off of it's kickstand while working on the chain and watching it fall.
-Foot slipping at a stop.
-Foot slipping on dewy grass.
-Forgetting to set the kickstand after parking.
-Panic braking at a cold wet oily stop.
-Botching a tight uturn.

Fortunately, I'm super reformed and that was some initial four months stupidity. One thing I found with the SV is that once it started to go over, there was no stopping it. Maybe I wouldn't have trouble with it now that I actually visit a gym, but I found the SV to be heavy as an anvil past 45 degrees tip when it was stopped.

drat fun biek, though.

:staredog: Ummm, so those frame sliders paid off then huh?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gillingham posted:

This is opposite of some article I read, :welp: yay for me packing incorrectly on all my camping trips.

The goal is to centralize the mass, minimize the overhanging weight. Pack heavier stuff toward the center.

I pack weighty things in the side cases, toward the center of the bike. I don't prefer heavier things in the top case because all that weight hanging out past the rear axle makes accidental wheelies more of a thing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

A pendulum is more stable when it's got a heavier weight at the end. It's less sensitive to external inputs than one with a lighter weight, and it takes more force to upset it from its center point. Try pushing around a cannonball on a string vs. a golf ball on a string.

A tandem two-wheeled vehicle is an inverted pendulum: weight at the top, pivot at the bottom. A motorcycle with a heavy weight mounted far from the pivot, i.e. high up, becomes less sensitive to external inputs, and takes more force to upset it from its center (upright) point. Lower the center of gravity, and you reduce the amount of force required to upset it (lean it over), so the bike wants to fall over more easily. Sportbikes aim to keep their mass down low not for stability, but for instability -- the ability to quickly flip the vehicle back and forth without fighting a lot of rotational inertia.

Certainly, if the top-heavy bike is stationary and it starts to fall over, it takes more effort to reverse that motion. That's also a feature of the increased stability: the bike is attempting to reach its stable state, and it's difficult for an external force (you) to prevent that from happening. It seems illogical because the stationary stable state is "on its side", which is undesirable, but the fact is still that the bike is better at holding that position when there's more weight mounted high. In motion, the stable state is "upright", and again the top-heavy vehicle is better at holding that position through wind, bumps, steering inputs, and other forces.

This is why they tell you to put luggage weight in a top bag first and only then load up the saddlebags.

Hey, I'm glad you're around sagebrush, especially since I thought you were dead.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Weight distribution explanation awesomeness

Thank you for that post. Very clearly and kindly explained that concept. I can see you are one of the good professors...

Coredump posted:

:staredog: Ummm, so those frame sliders paid off then huh?

They earned their keep. :suicide:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Someone who rides a dirt bike should give their opinion, but I'd imagine yes, it would be a disadvantage for that kind of riding. When the road is so bad that the bike is going to be upset all the time anyway, you might as well keep the weight down (= lower rotational inertia) so that it's easier to recover. Also since you're likely to be using your legs to keep the bike upright at various times.

But that's like, serious off-road stuff with boulders and things. I think on a dirt path or fire road the normal moving dynamics will be predominant, so keeping the weight high isn't a disadvantage.

It's not that one way is inherently better, just suitable for different things. Weight up high = stable in a straight line and smooth curves, doesn't react as much to input forces, more forgiving of steering inputs. Weight down low = more squirrelly at all speeds, but more maneuverable and reactive.

You want weight low and centralized for a dirt bike. For example, folks spend lots of effort with gas tank placement for rally bikes because they're carrying 50lbs of gas and you don't want it up high.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

thanks professor sagebrush for the wisdom, it was a good one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

You want weight low and centralized for a dirt bike. For example, folks spend lots of effort with gas tank placement for rally bikes because they're carrying 50lbs of gas and you don't want it up high.

I guess high CoG makes brake dive worse too?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I guess high CoG makes brake dive worse too?

I would guess it's marginal compared to how you have your forks setup. Also, your CoG is already going to be higher because you've got a foot + of travel and a ton of clearance and on top of that you often have the rider standing up which raises CoG even as it adds a nice pivot point at the pegs. So even with a low CoG, it may well still be higher from the ground than a sport bike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well that V-Strom I was looking at isn't going to pan out. I might go look at this SV this weekend -

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5424613302.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, that's one way to tie a bike down...

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, that's one way to tie a bike down...

They're hoosiers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dutymode posted:

Well that V-Strom I was looking at isn't going to pan out. I might go look at this SV this weekend -

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5424613302.html
Biek rope bondage. :fap:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hey thread

I just moved to southern california and need something to get around on (because apparently walking is frowned on / will get you run over)

I was offered this ZG1000 which seems to be in decent shape for $1500

it comes with the original panniers (not pictured)

I'm coming from a CB-1 which is a very different bike, but this one looks really nice, what do you guys think?

Also my CB-1 is for sale if anyone wants one. It's back in Tennessee though. http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5416198122.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is a really good price, for my area at least. They are solid reliable bikes, known to go 100k miles with proper maintenance. I was seriously looking into getting one, but ended up buying something newer. Good luck

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's fuckin awesome and you shouldn't hesitate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Buy that goddamn bike

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In that a giant ninjette?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Geirskogul posted:

Buy that goddamn bike

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

Buy that goddamn bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

In that a giant ninjette?

Concours.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
So yes.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Buy that goddamn bike

Agreed. It's bitchin'. :swoon:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm all set to see that 2003 SV650 on Saturday. They say it's got 12k miles and ready to ride. If that's the case, $2000 is quite reasonable, right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dutymode posted:

I'm all set to see that 2003 SV650 on Saturday. They say it's got 12k miles and ready to ride. If that's the case, $2000 is quite reasonable, right?

that's a great deal.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
OK, I just wanted to be sure before I take a bus ride to Indy and ride it back in 40 degree weather.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dutymode posted:

OK, I just wanted to be sure before I take a bus ride to Indy and ride it back in 40 degree weather.

So long as the tires/chain are in good shape and nothing is super hosed, illegal, or broken, I say do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I have a plugin for Chrome called "dictionary of numbers" that gives you a human-scale comparison for any large values, and this is what it had to say about your post:

Seems pretty reasonable to me.`

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well, the guy who was supposed to buy the ninja emailed and said he was fired this morning, which means no SV for me this weekend. gently caress.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

Well, the guy who was supposed to buy the ninja emailed and said he was fired this morning, which means no SV for me this weekend. gently caress.

Sorry dude. Calling bullshit on the "I got fired" excuse. I've heard them all, the real reason is almost always wife aggro or cold feet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Last year I bought a house and decided to sell my KLR 650 because I switched to riding my bicycle to work everyday and I figured I could use the cash to help fund house stuff, not to mention that I ultimately wanted a more capable road oriented bike. Something that doesn't vibrate as much and isn't WOT on the highway.

Ideally I'd like a nice sport standard, something like an SV650, Bandit or V-Strom that I can pack some bags on and do some multi day touring with. I was thinking I'd really like to fly someplace with a better used bike market and spend a few days riding it back to home. Has anyone here done something like that? Is this a terrible idea unless I know the seller, or does anyone have any tips or advice for doing something like this?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Last year I bought a house and decided to sell my KLR 650 because I switched to riding my bicycle to work everyday and I figured I could use the cash to help fund house stuff, not to mention that I ultimately wanted a more capable road oriented bike. Something that doesn't vibrate as much and isn't WOT on the highway.

Ideally I'd like a nice sport standard, something like an SV650, Bandit or V-Strom that I can pack some bags on and do some multi day touring with. I was thinking I'd really like to fly someplace with a better used bike market and spend a few days riding it back to home. Has anyone here done something like that? Is this a terrible idea unless I know the seller, or does anyone have any tips or advice for doing something like this?

I've never done a fly and ride but I've done a couple of fly and drives. And I only did those because I had a really good feeling about it and the sellers were really helpful in arranging everything.

That being said, where are you located. I've been considering getting rid of my 07 SV650s in the Raleigh area if you are even remotely close.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd do a fly n ride no problem. Would probably take some diligence to make sure it'll get me home above and beyond "bring my truck and figure out the issues later".

Heck I flew out from Seatac to Rexburg Idaho to pick up my Vstar for a 2-day ride home after having its engine taken apart and put back together. Was supposed to change the oil after 500 miles but it's a 800 mile ride!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

"Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't :shrug:" Good engine and trans though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson posted:

Sorry dude. Calling bullshit on the "I got fired" excuse. I've heard them all, the real reason is almost always wife aggro or cold feet.

I don't know what's so difficult about just saying "sorry, I'm not interested any more."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Depending on timelines and such, I could probably be tapped to pick up a bike in the Bay and make sure it's sound for a long trip.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know what's so difficult about just saying "sorry, I'm not interested any more."

A pet peeve of mine right there. Why can't people just be upfront and honest? A simple, one-liner like that instead of suddenly not responding to contact whatsoever. Same kind of attitude with recruiters. Pisses me right off. :argh:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kastivich posted:

I've never done a fly and ride but I've done a couple of fly and drives. And I only did those because I had a really good feeling about it and the sellers were really helpful in arranging everything.

That being said, where are you located. I've been considering getting rid of my 07 SV650s in the Raleigh area if you are even remotely close.
I'm in Columbus, so that would actually be a great ride back home! Could go through the smokies and hit up the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is something I've been wanting to do for years now. If you could pm, post, or email me some details (mcgrath.78 at google's mail) I might be interested in working something out! I'm not in immediate rush or anything, just cabin fevered and missing having a biek... I die a little inside every time I see a roundabout :shepspends:

Z3n posted:

Depending on timelines and such, I could probably be tapped to pick up a bike in the Bay and make sure it's sound for a long trip.

That's an incredibly generous (and honestly very tempting!) offer, but if I'm honest with myself getting back to Ohio might be a little too big a trip for me to swing this year, just in terms of sheer miles and time away from work. I will absolutely file that away in the back of my mind as a possibility to ping you if that changes though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shadowlz posted:

"Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't :shrug:" Good engine and trans though.

Carbs, yo.