Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

And they are manned items in the settlements helping you deal with activityless settlers that stops growth.
Mortars add to your defense. So instead of having a guard tower, build a mortar. It doesn't stop growth, you're allocating 2-3 people on defense, whooptie fuckign doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Being accurate isn't always fun. I've ridden on the DC metro countless times and every time I play FO3 I see one and think "oh wow that's neat" then try my best to never step foot in one again. Except that's impossible because invisible wall rubble blocks your way.

What's neat is when you DO something with the accuracy, like making the Repconn test site in new vegas a neat place with ghouls who want to go to outer space. It's a real life place (based on the Pepcon rocket fuel plant) AND it's more than just "hey we made this place in a video game isn't that cool"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does the Institute not really come calling until the end of Act 1 (Fort Hagen stuff)? Am I missing something massive? I have 2 quests in Fort Hagen (Valentine and the one from the robot ship) and it seems like I've done everything I can do up to that point in the game. I don't want to read too many spoilers so I didn't want to google it. A simple yes/no is fine.

Syano posted:

Is there any point to building up multiple settlements? Or should I just do one mega settlement for the achievement and then just connect it to the others with supply lines?

There is a feature that settlements offer you after you do all the Castle quests that can be fun. You have to have to be in range of a settlement with it to do it, though. Other than that, all more settlements seem to do (outside of helping you get caps and junk/water) is give radiant quests constantly that you will not want to do. I do kind of like defending settlements. If I could do that without ever having them stop me to ask if I will go find their kidnapped friend or kill ghouls half a city away [I mean I have outfitted all of you with combat armor and really good guns...], it would be more fun.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2016

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

tadashi posted:

Does the Institute not really come calling until the end of Act 1 (Fort Hagen stuff)? Am I missing something massive? I have 2 quests in Fort Hagen (Valentine and the one from the robot ship) and it seems like I've done everything I can do up to that point in the game. I don't want to read too many spoilers so I didn't want to google it. A simple yes/no is fine.
You're not missing anything, you won't be involved with the Institute until a couple of missions after Fort Hagen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tadashi posted:

You are not missing anything massive. You are actually 5 more quest(s) on the main questline from seeing what you're asking about.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Zephyrine posted:

This is all so cool.

What about Sanctuary/Quincy/Jamaica plain/The Asylum?

Are the quarries based on anything or just something Bethesda did?
Bethesda did at least some Google Maps research. They also probably did serious research of the touristy areas of Boston. The scale for those seems greatly increased from everything else, like downtown Boston and Cambridge is 3 or 4 times larger than it should be given the scale of everything else in the game.

The Gwinnett Brewery is in a similar area to the real life Harpoon Brewery. There's a few other things that are strangely accurate but I can't think of them at the moment.

Quincy is a reasonable enough presentation. The quarries are a little too North East if memories serve but at one time it was one of the city's major industries. Also, there's that farm out on the peninsula. There's really a sewage treatment plant out there (but the soil is too sandy and rocky to grow much of anything). But the area is super loving marshy so they got that.

There is a place called Jamaica Plain more or less where it is on the map but the design of the buildings is completely different and its implied it's a different city (it's actually a neighborhood of Boston proper).

Out of non-touristy areas the only one that sticks out in my mind as particularly accurate is Andrew Station. I bet one of the map makers grew up in Dorchester and went to town on it. I also like that Malden looks pretty much like Malden and nuking it didn't seem to make it any worse.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

One of the head dudes at Beth is from Boston iirc

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Question: I got Sanctuary up to 91% happiness, and then out of nowhere it started dipping. They haven't been attacked, there's 61 defense and plenty of food and they even have a jukebox. What gives?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cash crab posted:

Question: I got Sanctuary up to 91% happiness, and then out of nowhere it started dipping. They haven't been attacked, there's 61 defense and plenty of food and they even have a jukebox. What gives?

Not 100% sure, but I heard someone say that any electric entertainment (jukebox, radio) is bugged and causes happiness to go down.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Gynovore posted:

Not 100% sure, but I heard someone say that any electric entertainment (jukebox, radio) is bugged and causes happiness to go down.

No music for them, then. Ungrateful pricks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing material can truly make us happy in the end, unless it is a fractal of cat paintings.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Digirat posted:

Nothing material can truly make us happy in the end, unless it is a fractal of cat paintings.

Well, to be fair, that works on me, too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Gynovore posted:

poo poo. Tenpines Bluff has the only functioning TV in the Commonwealth and that could explain why their happiness is constantly in the toilet.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

eating only apples posted:

Sorry. They got nothing for you. All faction quests but Minutemen and the faction you sided with end once you end the main story, even when they act like they've got more stuff for you. I bet Des is just using lines from if you did the Railroad ending. It's because every faction wants you to kill all the other factions.

Maybe DLC will change things but for now, don't bother trying to talk to everyone - you're done.

This is wrong, Desdemona does have quests for you specifically after you destroy the institute. I specifically remember a unique gang of raiders that especially hated synths and Desdemona has you go out and kill their leaders. This only triggers after you beat the main story.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It sounds fun to see a lot of landmarks in the game that you grew up around. Maybe one day they will do a fallout set in Dallas so I can have fun to.

Also yeah there are a few things to do after the quest. I did the minuteman ending and the only thing they wanted me to do was destroy the brotherhood. I'm sure there's more but I stopped after that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone tried mix and matching Power Armor pieces? I'm getting bored of looking at my Enclave suit and I wondered what would be some good ways to spice things up by applying different pieces.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Okay, so since the patch I have been experiencing super-slow loading times. It makes the game almost unplayable.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It sounds fun to see a lot of landmarks in the game that you grew up around. Maybe one day they will do a fallout set in Dallas so I can have fun to.

Literally the only reason I'm excited for the new Homefront game. It's god damned better lovingly render South Philadelphia

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

dj_clawson posted:

Okay, so since the patch I have been experiencing super-slow loading times. It makes the game almost unplayable.

This has happened to me since installing it. I got so fed up with it that I timed the loading screens and they take between one and two minutes to load. Is there any way to optimize the game to speed up loading or am I just doomed to read the same tips over and over while I wait?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

killhamster posted:

This has happened to me since installing it. I got so fed up with it that I timed the loading screens and they take between one and two minutes to load. Is there any way to optimize the game to speed up loading or am I just doomed to read the same tips over and over while I wait?

The loading times were never great, but they're much worse now. Some other people have been reporting this too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

killhamster posted:

Pray that the GECK comes out sooner, so that modders can DO what BethesDONT

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

Literally the only reason I'm excited for the new Homefront game. It's god damned better lovingly render South Philadelphia

I googled it out of curiosity and the very first sentence has the words "in the future" and "drastically different Philadelphia" in it. You may want to throttle your expectations a bit.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Gynovore posted:

There was a big reddit post recently about happiness, looked at the actual code, very spoilery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/43rcts/the_math_behind_your_settlers_happiness/

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

killhamster posted:

Yep. I thought that perhaps this was due to save game bloat, since I'm up to 110 hours on my save. But now I'm hearing that the load times increased after the patch. I have the game installed on an SSD and they were never more than 10-15 seconds. Now I have load times up to 45 seconds to a minute or more in different areas. I've noticed going into Cambridge Police Station and then exiting causes the longest load times so far.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Silver Shroud quest is pretty good, the male player voice actor actually sounds like he's having fun for a change as opposed to sounding quite bored. I'll probably try to get Kent out alive at the end a few more times, but I'm not too bothered. It probably makes more sense if you don't manage it, in a way.

Mental Midget posted:

This is wrong, Desdemona does have quests for you specifically after you destroy the institute. I specifically remember a unique gang of raiders that especially hated synths and Desdemona has you go out and kill their leaders. This only triggers after you beat the main story.

Weird, I still can't get a word out of Desdemona. I can do some of the Railroad radiant quests (and Drummer Boy keeps telling me to go see Tinker Tom, who seems to say nothing of importance), but nothing that would seem like actual content following on from the "end" of the story. Maybe you need to get a certain way into the chain of Railroad story quests before they all disappear, because I think I only did the first one.

Mortimer posted:

Being accurate isn't always fun.

Totes, and I agree with you for sure, but I've never been to Washington so it's kind of neat. This is probably the big draw of Grand Theft Auto for me at this point too, given that I don't live in America at all.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I finished the Minutemen run yesterday. The "defend the castle" bit was pretty fun; if I had known, I would have made 37 more runs for gears and oil, built 100 missile turrets, and treated it like a Tower Defense game. The fact that Preston and Ronnie Shaw have plot armor takes away from the challenge, though.

Now to destroy the Institute, laying aside the fact that on my previous visit I had killed every single person there. I clicked on the Institute map icon, and... RELAYED INSIDE. :bang:

After reloading a save, I found out where I was supposed to go, and crawled through 87 million miles of reactor coolant pipe to find the thermal exhaust port hatch leading in. After reprogramming the relay terminal, the Minutemen teleported in. What was the first thing Preston Garvey said upon seeing me? Guess. Go on, guess.

"Thanks for clearing the way for that settlement, general. But, I've heard of another settlement that needs our help..."

REALLY, Bethesda? Were trained pygmy marmosets your playtesters, or did you just throw up your hands and say "gently caress it, modders will fix everything"?

If there are any billionaires reading this, please give me $20 million to make Fallout 5. All I'll need are 5 coders, 10 3D modelers, 10 texture artists, 20 world builders, and a license for the latest Unreal engine. I'll do all the writing and playtesting myself, and I guarantee it will come out better that this piece of plop.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 4, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

There was a big reddit post recently about happiness, looked at the actual code, very spoilery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/43rcts/the_math_behind_your_settlers_happiness/
Can someone please quote the reddit post in it's original format? At least we'll have a reference for people constantly asking the same question.

Gynovore posted:

If there are any billionaires reading this, please give me $20 million to make Fallout 5. All I'll need are 5 coders, 10 3D modelers, 10 texture artists, 20 world builders, and a license for the latest Unreal engine. I'll do all the writing and playtesting myself, and I guarantee it will come out better that this piece of plop.
You'll have enough people to create a DLC by using Bethesda's assests, and it will take you 6 months still. Add some zeros to the number of people, and then it may be obvious as to why these games cost hundreds of millions to create, take years, and then still have problems.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 4, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gynovore posted:

You can't make an open-world Bethesda game on this scale without bugs. it's LITERALLY impossible, believe me, I've tried.

Anyone who says they should bugtest their games more, or put more money into writing needs to check themselves and realize what they're asking is impossible.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mortimer posted:

You can't make an open-world Bethesda game on this scale without bugs. it's LITERALLY impossible, believe me, I've tried.

Correct, it's impossible to make a Bethesda game without bugs. What did you do when you worked for Bethesda?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

xxEightxx posted:

poo poo, I sent the dog to Red Rocket where nobody lives and now I guess I can't move him?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ranter posted:

Correct, it's impossible to make a Bethesda game without bugs. What did you do when you worked for Bethesda?

I was the project lead and designer on Redguard and other, lesser, projects

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

tadashi posted:

poo poo, I sent the dog to Red Rocket where nobody lives and now I guess I can't move him?

You can buy more dogs.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I really hope TESVI doesnt have a voiced protagonist. That really added nothing at all to the game.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I really hope TESVI doesnt have a voiced protagonist. That really added nothing at all to the game.

Imagine all the lines they'd have to record for each race.
Of course, continuing the trend, Bethesda will just scrap race selection and make the player a hybrid elf/breton/khajitlizardman.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'd actually like some version of that. The game should change (even if its just the same missions happening with differant elements, like the stormcloak rebellion).

A Khajit or argonian in skyrim should face constant, crippling racism. A high elf should be attacked by villagers randomly. Not be invited to be the right hand man of the racist rebels after killing 10-20 bandits. Even a throwaway line about "I'm hesistant to allow one of your kind in my hold, but you've made yourself useful" would have satisfied me. You lose something in the :siren: total freedom :siren: department, but gain more in an immersive world and coherant plot.

As for TES6: Its as simple as "Race 1, 2, 3 and 4 go on subplot a, races 5 and 6 go on subplot b, they converge at mission c and the main plot continues from there". Swap out no-name NPCs as needed.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 4, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

For my money I feel like a quest is good when it a.) adapts to the character I've been playing, and b.) seems to anticipate the kind of action I'd want to take anyway. Sometimes even when playing the original Witcher (which is otherwise quite dated, mind) I am surprised to see the amount of thought that has gone into resolving certain plot points and the number of options available. I realize no writer or developer is ever going to anticipate every action a crazy player is going to want to make but it's nice when you see something at least kind of close to what you would want your character to do.

F4 breaks both of those laws. It doesn't care that I'm a hyper-intelligent physicist when I go down into the Institute. Charisma options (with a few welcome exceptions) are almost always just to get more caps out of somebody. And the options available are "Mass murder group a or mass murder group b." Immersion!

Seeing the game respond to something like fantasy race would me amazing. I feel like a lot of people blame the voiced protag for the lack of options but I'm not entirely convinced. It's not as though the time spent in the studio is taking time away from development. And you already have to voice every single NPC line in the game and have had to do so since Oblivion. Sure they're doubling their work but Bethesda has more money than Satan at this point, I think they can probably afford it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Silver Shroud quest is pretty good, the male player voice actor actually sounds like he's having fun for a change as opposed to sounding quite bored. I'll probably try to get Kent out alive at the end a few more times, but I'm not too bothered. It probably makes more sense if you don't manage it, in a way.

Eat some grape mentats before you go in. You have to beat a pretty difficult speech challenge to get them to agree to go after you first and leave him alone to make that happen.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

Eat some grape mentats before you go in. You have to beat a pretty difficult speech challenge to get them to agree to go after you first and leave him alone to make that happen.

You can just select "Threaten as Silver Shroud" to get his henchmen to run away too. No speech check needed and you only need to blow Sinjin's head off.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So max happiness relies on shops in the settlements.

I couldn't get the shops to work a all. I would assign people and not matter what time of day they wouldn't be attending it and wouldn't generate income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought the speech challenge was just to scare the other raiders away.

I just solved the problem of them killing Kent by killing them before they could do it.

• Locked thread