Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Revol posted:

I bought a stuffed chicken from my meat market. Parmesan and marinara. Instructions say to bake it in a baking tray, covered, for thirty minutes, along with some water in the tray. Makes sense, get some steam going to keep it from going dry. But won't that standing water also make the bottom of the chicken soggy?

A couple things about this. First would be that the method of cooking has little do to with perceived dryness or moistness of a meat. That is determined more by cooking time and temperature which will do things like squeezing moisture out of the cells and melting collagen. If you steam a chicken breast for an hour it'll be dry as gently caress even though it's a "moist" cooking method.

The cooking method you're describing is what's called braising. Soggy is maybe one way to describe the outcome, but that's a pretty negative descriptor. The meat and skin won't be crisp (unless you finish with the bird's skin uncovered) but it certainly won't be unpleasant. It should be pleasantly tender and ready to fall off the bone, and you can use the braising liquid and reduce it to some kind of sauce if you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use browned ground beef with some fat poured off in a Texas chili recipe instead of steak or chuck? I have some 80/20 frozen that I want to use up for chili. Here's the recipe that caught my eye, if you're interested: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017160-texas-style-chili?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It won't be Texas Chili™ anymore, but whatever.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I met one of my new neighbors recently and invited him to a dinner party we're having in a couple weeks. However, he follows something called a 'whole food' diet, which as I understand is vegan + minimized processed foods, but also seems that he doesn't eat oil (veg-derived or otherwise)?. I'm ehhh on really specific diets, but more power to him. It also seems like a good challenge to try and make...something with that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some solid recipes that follow this model? I've never cooked anything like it before but I'd be interested in trying.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I met one of my new neighbors recently and invited him to a dinner party we're having in a couple weeks. However, he follows something called a 'whole food' diet, which as I understand is vegan + minimized processed foods, but also seems that he doesn't eat oil (veg-derived or otherwise)?. I'm ehhh on really specific diets, but more power to him. It also seems like a good challenge to try and make...something with that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some solid recipes that follow this model? I've never cooked anything like it before but I'd be interested in trying.

I tell these snowflakes to bring their own food, but I'm jaded and cynical. Processed is mostly a buzz word and not eating oil is nearly (if not completely) impossible and pointless.

Someone else will probably have an actual suggestion.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Tots posted:

I tell these snowflakes to bring their own food, but I'm jaded and cynical. Processed is mostly a buzz word and not eating oil is nearly (if not completely) impossible and pointless.

Yeah, I know. This is both complete bullshit and an interesting challenge. Most of the interest comes from the fact that I'm almost sure that I'll fail to make something he can eat but maybe learn some stuff in the process.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 4, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Yeah, I know. This is both complete bullshit and an interesting challenge. Most of the interest comes from the fact that I'm almost sure that I'll fail to make something he can eat but maybe learn some stuff in the process.

For example, there is no oil in his cooking but he eats a large amount of peanuts and almonds daily

Does oil include butter here?

Also what about meat? Can you use fats from meat to cook with?

I'm thinking right now of a really rustic and hearty chicken cacciatore browned up in bacon fat. Start with a whole chicken, some fresh produce, and some pork. Doesn't get much more natural or whatever the gently caress than that.

Tots fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 4, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tots posted:

Does oil include butter here?

Also what about meat? Can you use fats from meat to cook with?

I'm thinking right now of a really rustic and hearty chicken cacciatore browned up in bacon fat. Start with a whole chicken, some fresh produce, and some pork. Doesn't get much more natural or whatever the gently caress than that.

Uhhh...

I met one of my new neighbors recently and invited him to a dinner party we're having in a couple weeks. However, he follows something called a 'whole food' diet, which as I understand is :siren:vegan:siren: + minimized processed foods, but also seems that he doesn't eat oil (veg-derived or otherwise)?. I'm ehhh on really specific diets, but more power to him. It also seems like a good challenge to try and make...something with that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I guess avocados would have to be your main source of fat?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Man I missed the vegan part. Now I think even less of this person.

E: and I have zero experience in vegan cooking so I guess I'm sitting this one out.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

For example, there is no oil in his cooking but he eats a large amount of peanuts and almonds daily. Here's what I'm thinking:

I was thinking of using peanuts at low heat to generate my fats for cooking, but I have never had to home-render fats for cooking in a way that'd meet his reqs. Pull out the peanuts then, hopefully not burned or too dried after giving up their delicious oil and toss them with a little black molasses, crushed chiles, and bean paste. Brown those really lightly so I get to a sort of spreadable consistency, then reserve as a garnish. Use whatever fat I managed to render to stir-fry a green (maybe boy choy? Ideally want something substantial but still kinda delicate) in whatever oil I can get here prepped w garlic/ginger mash. I'm still split on adding a carb, but I would probably use white rice.

Serve with carb on bottom, if I add one, the bok choy above the rice with the peanut stuff strategically laid on top. Drizzle it all with a dressing of a tiny bit of dark soy sauce and rice wine vinegar that I'll probably leave overnight in a covered bowel with a few schezuan peppercorns (should I go light or heavy on these for dressing? Never done it before. I like the sort of bite they'd probably get with the peanut) and a bird pepper

I made up this recipe trying to keep his requirements in mind, so my ?s are
-How the gently caress do I get enough fat without burning, drying, and sawdusting the peanuts? I can't think of another traditional east asian produce that'll contain oil besides sesame seeds I guess and that won't really work.
-Miso in the dressing? There's already a lot of sweetness in the dish, so I don't know, but it rounds out flavors a lot of the time.
-I am not sure about steeping schezuan peppercorns, just seemed like a good idea at the time. I could sub hot mustard in the dressing, but that burn we all love so much would complement the peanut thing well.
-No experience with black garlic, but I think the dish needs a more rounded flavor. However, it's really expensive and I don't really want to buy any.
-I want to integrate mushrooms because I think they'll cover a little for the loss of meat, but I don't know where in this dish I will get the oil to cook them decently
-Is a fatless silpat in the oven even an option? I've never tried it before, but I feel like I'd end up with dry everything.

Tots, I have not cooked a vegan dish on purpose in my entire life. I bet a bunch of stuff ended up vegan, but I'm starting from zero here. I might produce an inedible green slurry, but realistically I'm probs not going to integrate vegan cooking into my life at all.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 4, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I've never tried to get fat from a nut, but just grab enough so that if they're dried out and gross after you do that you can just use what you have left for the actual dish. Second thought is that white rice probably counts as "processed". Other than that it sounds like it could be viable and maybe even tasty!

E: also I'm requesting a trip report and pics from this.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

You're probably looking at quinoa with dried fruit and nuts or some sort of steamed veg. Maybe a butternut squash "stew" or a Thai red curry? Though the no oil thing is tricky and weird. Most vegans I know use oil extensively.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Superbowl related question. I have a recipe for teriyaki chicken wing (actually it's Tyler Florence's and it kills). Normally I would bring the raw chicken wings and the pre-made sauce to my friends' house and cook the wings there, but this year we are at another house, and I won't have the time to crisp up the wings (the recipe says 20 minutes, but from experience it's closer to an hour).

So my plan is to precook the wings and the sauce, so all I need to do is reheat and sauce the wings.

My problem is that I want to keep the wings crispy. So what is the best way to cool / store the wings after cooking them the day before so that they retain the crisp skin?

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Tots posted:

I've never tried to get fat from a nut, but just grab enough so that if they're dried out and gross after you do that you can just use what you have left for the actual dish. Second thought is that white rice probably counts as "processed". Other than that it sounds like it could be viable and maybe even tasty!

E: also I'm requesting a trip report and pics from this.

Yeah, that's what's been messing with me the most. I am pretty unsure about cooking peanuts without any fat at all, as I think they keep their best flavor when some external oil is used so they don't leach out their own.

I made a terrible pact with my girl that I will cook and we will try three meals with these restrictions next week. Recipes will be mostly based on advice from the thread and me pondering. I'll try and post pics from each maybe inedible attempt (we'll try and make something different each time). In return, I'm picking up takeout pizza from her favorite place in the city once a week, which is in an absolutely terrifying neighborhood. I'll try and trip report each failure. I'll also write a trip report if I get glassed by a derelict in the parking lot of said pizza place.

I'm kinda running away with this and have a ton of questions, not a lot of GWS experience. Think it'd be worth its own thread?

Tell me how to create fat from nothing, goons

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Find out the name of what he's doing so you can find blogs focusing on it. There'll be a shitload.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Anne Whateley posted:

Find out the name of what he's doing so you can find blogs focusing on it. There'll be a shitload.

I tried that first. He calls himself a 'whole food vegan', which I read up on but the no oil thing doesn't ordinarily seem to be part of that. They do mention 'no processed oil', but I don't know if something like pressed olive oil would be ok. So I texted him and his response was 'No oils, no fats!". I followed it up by asking him if nuts were ok, which they are. So who knows.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2016

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

LongSack posted:

So my plan is to precook the wings and the sauce, so all I need to do is reheat and sauce the wings.

My problem is that I want to keep the wings crispy. So what is the best way to cool / store the wings after cooking them the day before so that they retain the crisp skin?

Short answer: you can't.

Longer answer: I mean, you COULD crisp your wings up day before, let them cool to room temp completely so no steam is trapped when you pack them up, pack them between layers of paper towel to absorb other moisture since moisture is the bane of crispy, and re-crisp in an oven at the party? But you will never be able to maintain a level of crispiness on par with freshly made wings and they may dry out in the process. Fresh from the fryer / oven will always be WAY, way better.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

Short answer: you can't.

Longer answer: I mean, you COULD crisp your wings up day before, let them cool to room temp completely so no steam is trapped when you pack them up, pack them between layers of paper towel to absorb other moisture since moisture is the bane of crispy, and re-crisp in an oven at the party? But you will never be able to maintain a level of crispiness on par with freshly made wings and they may dry out in the process. Fresh from the fryer / oven will always be WAY, way better.

Yah, the best option here is to cook right before and bring em over hot. Fry em up, thow them in a large shallow pan/container with foil on top and poke holes in it. Heat sauce and bring separately. Sauce and eat upon arrival.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So instead of cooking them the day before, I'll cook em just before I head out. That works. Thanks!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tots posted:

Seriously. I must admit I admire Carl Killer Miller's willingness to take it on as a challenge. Personally, it seems really inconsiderate to expect you to cater to such a narrow diet.

"I am allergic to fish" - cool, can work around
"I keep kosher/halal" - cool, can work around
"I am vegetarian" - cool, can work around
"I am vegan" - requires some attention to detail, but I'll manage
"make me food, but not from 85% of what people call food, and nothing that makes food taste good". - Here's a Kroger crudités tray and a bowl of mixed nuts. No salt, because that makes them processed. Knock yourself out.

I get irrationally mad at people like this :psyduck:

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

"No oils, no fats!". I followed it up by asking him if nuts were ok, which they are.

:)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I tried that first. He calls himself a 'whole food vegan', which I read up on but the no oil thing doesn't ordinarily seem to be part of that. They do mention 'no processed oil', but I don't know if something like pressed olive oil would be ok. So I texted him and his response was 'No oils, no fats!". I followed it up by asking him if nuts were ok, which they are. So who knows.

Does he actually realise that nuts are chock full of fats? I mean if you whizz up a load of peanuts to make peanut butter and you leave it for a while the oil from the peanuts separates. I was going to suggest this as a way of getting some oil to cook with, but it sounds like he wouldn't even be happy with that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My wife has celiac and when we visit people I offer recipes or tips on how to make stuff in advance.

I also tell them flat out I can bring food for her because I don't want them to have to do something special.

The whole food vegan guy sounds like a dick.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No oils, no fats, no service!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

I was thinking of using peanuts at low heat to generate my fats for cooking, but I have never had to home-render fats for cooking in a way that'd meet his reqs. Pull out the peanuts then, hopefully not burned or too dried after giving up their delicious oil and toss them with a little black molasses, crushed chiles, and bean paste. Brown those really lightly so I get to a sort of spreadable consistency, then reserve as a garnish. Use whatever fat I managed to render to stir-fry a green (maybe boy choy? Ideally want something substantial but still kinda delicate) in whatever oil I can get here prepped w garlic/ginger mash. I'm still split on adding a carb, but I would probably use white rice

If he's into Whole Food, he probably won't eat white rice, since it's been processed and is sort of unhealthy. It would be safer to go with brown rice, or some other whole grain, like bulgur.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Search "whole food vegan" "no oil" and there are blogs with recipes. Not that they'll be great, but you won't have to rack your brains figuring out what would work.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Anne Whateley posted:

Search "whole food vegan" "no oil" and there are blogs with recipes. Not that they'll be great, but you won't have to rack your brains figuring out what would work.

But that was half the fun!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Recipe request: I'm looking for a good mushroom soup and bread combo recipe. Thanks!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

LongSack posted:

Superbowl related question. I have a recipe for teriyaki chicken wing (actually it's Tyler Florence's and it kills). Normally I would bring the raw chicken wings and the pre-made sauce to my friends' house and cook the wings there, but this year we are at another house, and I won't have the time to crisp up the wings (the recipe says 20 minutes, but from experience it's closer to an hour).

Alright so I had a similar question a few pages back for my work "wing-off." I ended up doing a low-temp cook the night before (basically, confit), then bringing in my portable fryer for the quick high-temp fry at work before saucing (after 5 min rest).

If you can't do that, then I recommend what my boss did: he tossed his wings in cornstarch before the fry, which I think would have made them stay crisp for a while. And I would say do that or just regular fry right before you leave for the party, do not cover the wings, and sauce them at the party.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chemmy posted:

A dick, or maybe just an orthorexic.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Recipe request: I'm looking for a good mushroom soup and bread combo recipe. Thanks!

Can't help with the bread, but I made this soup recently and it was bloody incredible (apologies for the standard-issue irritating blog waffle).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chemmy posted:

I have some whole food vegan friends, the type that don't trust any food made at a restaurant. They bring their own food and it is always awesome.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

franco posted:

Can't help with the bread, but I made this soup recently and it was bloody incredible (apologies for the standard-issue irritating blog waffle).

Whoa that looks excellent! I hadn't thought of using brie. Thanks!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

franco posted:

I will make this soup and I will eat this soup

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
What are the factors that make a good crust on bread? I've always used this recipe* because it's the only one I've never messed up, but the crust is underwhelming. Should I be baking it hotter? Brush water or butter on it before I put it in? The crumb is great but I want better crust.

* apologies for the print link but I can't find the regular page anywhere on the site.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

hogmartin posted:

Seriously. I must admit I admire Carl Killer Miller's willingness to take it on as a challenge. Personally, it seems really inconsiderate to expect you to cater to such a narrow diet.

"I am allergic to fish" - cool, can work around
"I keep kosher/halal" - cool, can work around
"I am vegetarian" - cool, can work around
"I am vegan" - requires some attention to detail, but I'll manage
"make me food, but not from 85% of what people call food, and nothing that makes food taste good". - Here's a Kroger crudités tray and a bowl of mixed nuts. No salt, because that makes them processed. Knock yourself out.

I get irrationally mad at people like this :psyduck:

Hah when I walked in and told my fiancee that I'd invited him to a party, she didn't call him a dick right away but just raised her eyebrows a little and shrugged. I was a little 'what the gently caress is this' about the no oil/peanuts thing, then I remember that my grandma doesn't eat vegetables that grow under the ground on Tuesdays.

I'm not a good cook by any means, but this just seemed like a serious challenge. Even if I fail spectacularly with my 'practice dishes' next week, maybe I'll learn something about an avocado or somethin. I'll try and post some trip reports.

Your post has volunteered you to post an idea for a fat to use! I'd keep in mind that this is contradictory and a little nonsensical in nature. For example, if I had an olive plantation and hand-pressed olive oil to use in cooking that'd be ok to use, but if I buy a nice bottle of olive oil, it's an absolute no.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2016

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

LongSack posted:

Double post, didn't see this earlier. What kind of stuff do you have to work with when you get to the party? If you have access to a deep fryer, or a large pot or wok you can use for frying, maybe something like this?:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong

First off your friends will love you because it's loving delicious, but it's also a two-fry way of cooking wings. I haven't tried this myself but I wonder if it would work if you did the first spice coating and fry at home, then brought the fried wings (which will be cooked but pretty soggy and not something you'd want to eat at that point anyway) then do the second fry (the recipe says 10-12 mins but I found that more like 5 to 8 in high heat oil does ok too.) and simultaneously make the sauce at your friend's place. Toss, serve.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I heard the no oil thing I thought it was like the paleo people who don't use canola oil because you had to treat it after pressing, but olive oil was ok because you could (theoretically) extract it with poo poo you bought at the hardware store. But then again, paelo people get animal fats so it didn't really matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

hogmartin posted:

What are the factors that make a good crust on bread? I've always used this recipe* because it's the only one I've never messed up, but the crust is underwhelming. Should I be baking it hotter? Brush water or butter on it before I put it in? The crumb is great but I want better crust.

* apologies for the print link but I can't find the regular page anywhere on the site.
All else being equal, you want higher humidity in the oven to get better crust development. Brushing water on the bread can help, but if that's not enough you can try putting a cast iron skillet (or something else that'll take a modest thermal shock) in the oven while you're preheating it, and then add some water right before putting the bread in. Keep in mind that it'll start steaming immediately, and steam is hot. So be careful not to steam clean your arms/hands. Some people use a spray bottle to mist water around the interior of the oven, but I find that isn't as effective (you lose steam to the open oven door more or less as fast as you can make it).

There are additional factors, of course. Flours higher in gluten (like bread flours) tend to make, all else being equal, thinner and crisper crusts. Lower gluten flours (like AP) tend to make a thicker but chewier crust. Also, all else being equal, adding a little sugar will lead to more crust formation (and will produce better browning on whatever crust you already have). And to a lesser extent adding slightly more salt will have the same effect.

But that all being said, almost certainly what you want is a more humid oven.