Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leverage was a pretty cool show and it's arguably scifi since the hacker guy just kind of makes poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

EvanSchenck posted:

My partner and I have been working our way through the entirety of DS9 on netflix for a while, neither of knew much of anything about it but we grew to like it quite a lot. We're just getting into season seven now. One thing that I sort of puzzled over for a long time was why the ultra-capitalist Ferengi lived under such an overbearing, intrusive regulatory state. Star Trek chat in this thread caused a felicitous synaptic connection, and now it makes perfect sense: The Ferengi Alliance is a DRO!

At some point in their species's history, all the Ferengi DROs were consolidated into one entity which now functions as an authoritarian state. After all, in the numerous occasions where Quark runs afoul of the FCA, what is the threatened punishment? The FCA seizes his assets and revokes your business license, which means that no Ferengi will do business with Quark, presumably on pain of being banned as well. It actually happens to him during the series, as well... Brunt takes his stuff and slaps a sticker on his doorway telling all Ferengi not to do business with Quark. The sticker stays up for most of a season, but his bar basically continues operating as normal because non-Ferengi don't care. What happens if a woman in your family does business? Why, the same thing that happens to somebody who expresses dissent in one of Hoppe's covenant communities--your assets are forfeit and you are cast out.

IIRC there was an episode where Brunt suspects that some of the bar employees were unionizing, at which point he threatens to have them hang in the Ferengi capital's main square if they ever enter Ferengi space again.

Of course none of this matters because the best SF franchise of all time is Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Stargate Universe? You mean Battlestargate? Never heard of it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

What metaphors and deep philosophical symbolism can we glean from Mike Scott's ill-advised tryst with Jan Levanson-Gould? How about how Oscar talks about women all the time early on but then is suddenly gay? Anyone?

This will be on your interpretive media studies exam. Failure to answer will get you kicked out of TVNerdia DRO (c) for breach of contract.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Man, I dropped that huge libertarian nutjob site, with its paranoid delusions and jrodefeldian verbosity, right in y'all's laps and you don't even notice it. For shame.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I'm gonna take the unpopular stance and actually say I liked it. The acting was bad, and apparently Sorbo's ego caused many of the numerous bad plot decisions throughout, but overall had a lot of neat ideas and a more mythic bent on Scifi which resonated with me.
The idea of a relic starfighter trying to stave off a thousand years of darkness by rebooting The Galactic Federation isn't terrible. Plus it did an OK job of being different.

Turning the cute Poppul nymph into like the second most important creature in the universe was kind of... Ehhhh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

EvanSchenck posted:

My partner and I have been working our way through the entirety of DS9 on netflix for a while, neither of knew much of anything about it but we grew to like it quite a lot. We're just getting into season seven now. One thing that I sort of puzzled over for a long time was why the ultra-capitalist Ferengi lived under such an overbearing, intrusive regulatory state. Star Trek chat in this thread caused a felicitous synaptic connection, and now it makes perfect sense: The Ferengi Alliance is a DRO!

At some point in their species's history, all the Ferengi DROs were consolidated into one entity which now functions as an authoritarian state. After all, in the numerous occasions where Quark runs afoul of the FCA, what is the threatened punishment? The FCA seizes his assets and revokes your business license, which means that no Ferengi will do business with Quark, presumably on pain of being banned as well. It actually happens to him during the series, as well... Brunt takes his stuff and slaps a sticker on his doorway telling all Ferengi not to do business with Quark. The sticker stays up for most of a season, but his bar basically continues operating as normal because non-Ferengi don't care. What happens if a woman in your family does business? Why, the same thing that happens to somebody who expresses dissent in one of Hoppe's covenant communities--your assets are forfeit and you are cast out.

It's not an authoritarian state. It's a monopolistic and omnipotent voluntary DRO. If Quark doesn't want to participate in it, he is welcome to continue doing his business after his license is revoked, as in fact he does. His assets being seized is just an inevitable result of him violating the social contract laws of the state terms of operation.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

QuarkJets posted:

Leverage was a pretty cool show and it's arguably scifi since the hacker guy just kind of makes poo poo up

My favorite story about Leverage is them toning down the bad guys in the show from the real people they based them off of because audiences wouldn't believe anyone could be as evil as the villains real world counterparts actually were.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Guys the science fiction chatter in this thread is bleeding into the next one and it's concerning me. I don't want Jrod to have an opinion in any way similar to mine, but television SF is popular enough in nerd circles that he probably understands it more than the real world.

I guess I'm saying that if Jrod endorses TOS I will lose all hope for myself as a human being, basically.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I'm gonna take the unpopular stance and actually say I liked it. The acting was bad, and apparently Sorbo's ego caused many of the numerous bad plot decisions throughout, but overall had a lot of neat ideas and a more mythic bent on Scifi which resonated with me. If they had let it end with the season 4 finale it would have actually been a very satisfying if flawed series. It should've ended there too, what with 95% of the main cast being killed off.

Alas, season 5... :negative:

How the hell did that show manage to last five seasons. :psyduck:

Do Hercules and Xena count as sci-fi shows? Because if so, then those are the best in the genre. At least until season 5. :barf:

And I know I've mentioned it in the past, but seriously, it is goddamned depressing to find out that Kevin Sorbo was nothing like the Hercules he played on T.V. :( I wonder if he was always a hateful right-wing gently caress, or if he went over to the dark side due to losing his mind over something like 9/11 like Denis Leary. If it's the former, then he must have been perpetually pissed off throughout the series' run.

This would also explain that overly maudlin episode where they witness the birth of Jesus. :barf:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

How the hell did that show manage to last five seasons. :psyduck:

Do Hercules and Xena count as sci-fi shows? Because if so, then those are the best in the genre. At least until season 5. :barf:

Wait hold on, I just remembered, the best sci-fi show ever made was Cleopatra 2525.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr Interweb posted:

If those shows count as sci-fi, then so does Highlander, which is better than either of them and has fewer ridiculous hats.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Guys the science fiction chatter in this thread is bleeding into the next one and it's concerning me. I don't want Jrod to have an opinion in any way similar to mine, but television SF is popular enough in nerd circles that he probably understands it more than the real world.
Every libertarian understands bad science fiction better than the real world. Even ones who live in a desert compound and don't own a television.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I guess I'm saying that if Jrod endorses TOS I will lose all hope for myself as a human being, basically.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm dead certain that you and Jrode have got at least five dozen food preferences in common. Same with beverages. Hell you guys have 50-50 odds of being on the same side of the warm vs. cool weather debate.

Turns out everyone, even reprehensible libertarians, like ordinary things like "sci fi shows that aren't TNG."

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Muscle Tracer posted:

I hate to break it to you, but I'm dead certain that you and Jrode have got at least five dozen food preferences in common. Same with beverages. Hell you guys have 50-50 odds of being on the same side of the warm vs. cool weather debate.

Turns out everyone, even reprehensible libertarians, like ordinary things like "sci fi shows that aren't TNG."

I know someone who hates moderate temperatures, only likes it either quite cold or quite hot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Wrong, angel is the best sci-fi show. Dude's an entrepreneur, no self-respecting libertarian would prefer buffy over angel

I would venture that no self respecting human would prefer buffy over angel because david boreanaz is in it.

I mean technically he is in buffy as well but you get to look at him for much longer in angel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 4, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For years and years I thought Joss Whedon and Wil Wheaton were the same person because their last names were so similar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, I need to know where he gets his bootleg Hong Kong kung fu movies for, uh, research purposes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I like how I said Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a joke but people just accepted it and are now are suggesting Xena as sci-fi. You go DnD, keep taking obvious jokes as serious statements.

Xena and Gabriel, and Kevin Sorbo and whatever the name of the guy he was loving was, would all have been executed in Molyneux's Liberty DRO. What a horrible world to live in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eolus.

And I think you mean they would have tried to execute them but they would have just beaten them all up and it would have been the sexiest revolution ever.

Arguably the setting of Hercules was just Olympus DRO.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait. You're saying there's a PERSON on the other side of this comical debate that is going on?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait. You're saying there's a PERSON on the other side of this comical debate that is going on?

Well, what a subterranean insect kid monster believes a person is, anyway.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sedge and Bee posted:

I like how I said Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a joke but people just accepted it and are now are suggesting Xena as sci-fi. You go DnD, keep taking obvious jokes as serious statements.

Xena and Gabriel, and Kevin Sorbo and whatever the name of the guy he was loving was, would all have been executed in Molyneux's Liberty DRO. What a horrible world to live in.

There's a shitload of sci fi stuff in later seasons of Buffy. It's not the core element of the series but many episodes are more sci fi than they are fantasy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

My favorite story about Leverage is them toning down the bad guys in the show from the real people they based them off of because audiences wouldn't believe anyone could be as evil as the villains real world counterparts actually were.

Probably a bunch of libertarians wrote in over it

"Now you see, a real business owner would never intentionally try to gently caress over a bunch of people like that, even if they stood to gain a bunch of money someone like that would never voluntarily break the NAP. Perhaps to introduce more realism you could have Nathan read passages from the John Galt speech, and then maybe change Hardison's character to better reflect his race's time preferences"

Sedge and Bee posted:

lol yeah look at all of those "serious" posts from the last page and a half

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

lol yeah look at all of those "serious" posts from the last page and a half

I know, right? Ridiculous I say!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sedge and Bee posted:

One season of Buffy revolved around a cyborg and there was several episodes about the main character being replaced with a robot. Buffy was sci-fi.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Muscle Tracer posted:

There's a shitload of sci fi stuff in later seasons of Buffy. It's not the core element of the series but many episodes are more sci fi than they are fantasy.
Season 1 (2?) has a Cyberdemon that gets awakened by Willow scanning in a page from some grimorum. There's also John Ritter playing some crazy android that wants to sleep with Buffy's mom. And the "technopagan cybermancer" or whatever that Jenny Calendar was.

Plus, you know, Season 4's biomechaniod Frankenpatriot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Season 1 (2?) has a Cyberdemon that gets awakened by Willow scanning in a page from some grimorum. There's also John Ritter playing some crazy android that wants to sleep with Buffy's mom. And the "technopagan cybermancer" or whatever that Jenny Calendar was.

Plus, you know, Season 4's biomechaniod Frankenpatriot.

Every word of this post hurts me more than the last.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The high tech stuff is just as much fantasy as the swords and demons.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

My body is ready for the "where does fantasy end and sci fi begin" debate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bit where they shot a demon with an RPG-7 was pretty good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Do people seriously not know that Science Fantasy is its own distinct genre apart from Science Fiction?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

OwlFancier posted:

The bit where they shot a demon with an RPG-7 was pretty good.

Also that episode had Brian Thompson, one of film and television's underappreciated "big guy who looks like he's going to gently caress you up" actors.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Brion James is the king of heavies; he played a bad guy in literally every 90s genre show. Highlander gave him a two-parter.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

IIRC there was an episode where Brunt suspects that some of the bar employees were unionizing, at which point he threatens to have them hang in the Ferengi capital's main square if they ever enter Ferengi space again.

Of course none of this matters because the best SF franchise of all time is Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Stargate Universe? You mean Battlestargate? Never heard of it.

:frogout:
Best partof Buffy was them blowing up the mayor.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sedge and Bee posted:

Personally I wouldn't count Hercules and Xena as sci-fi, but I've seen a lot of people that did. Also, Hercules had a very short run on the Sci-Fi channel back in the day (and yes, I said Sci-Fi, before they turned to the more appropriate Syfy channel).

Iolaus, actually.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Muscle Tracer posted:

My body is ready for the "where does fantasy end and sci fi begin" debate.

The laser/elf quotient passes 2 kilowatts.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Do people seriously not know that Science Fantasy is its own distinct genre apart from Science Fiction?

Do people seriously not know that genre itself is a meaningless distinction perpetuated by marketing departments and those desperately empty husks searching for a peg to hang their identity on?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do people seriously not know that genre itself is a meaningless distinction perpetuated by marketing departments and those desperately empty husks searching for a peg to hang their identity on?

Do people seriously not know that sentences that start with "Do people seriously not know that" aren't serious?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Do people seriously not know that sentences that start with "Do people seriously not know that" aren't serious?

:thejoke:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Overexplaining :thejoke: was also :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Overexplaining :thejoke: was also :thejoke:
... I'm beginning to worry about what will happen when one of the mods actually looks into this thread.