Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Gloomy Gulch :siren:

Pardon the audio, still trying to figure out the best positioning and everything for my new mic. K. Rool's Keep will be up later tonight as well, as promised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Web Wood is the worst level in this entire game,, bar none. It's got that ugly piss fog, a terrible color palette, boring gameplay, a bonus level whose annoyance far outweighs the clever thinking behind it and worse of all, an uninspired DK coin placement at the very end of the level that only exists for 8 frames (according to AGDQ) and you only get one try at it before having to slog through the entire level again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ometeotl posted:

Web Wood is the worst level in this entire game,, bar none. It's got that ugly piss fog, a terrible color palette, boring gameplay, a bonus level whose annoyance far outweighs the clever thinking behind it and worse of all, an uninspired DK coin placement at the very end of the level that only exists for 8 frames (according to AGDQ) and you only get one try at it before having to slog through the entire level again.

Not one, two! I found out when I went back to get everything that they do in fact pull the trick with Kannon twice. At least the second one is significantly easier to pull off.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm one of the few who actually liked Parrot Chute Panic. I think it's simplicity makes for an interesting gimmick. But Web Woods is far too long. Squitter is far to slow of a mover to dedicate an entire level to.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm one of the few who actually liked Parrot Chute Panic. I think it's simplicity makes for an interesting gimmick. But Web Woods is far too long. Squitter is far to slow of a mover to dedicate an entire level to.

I dunno, I've always had a real bias towards Squitter levels because of the shooting aspect. Sure, the platforming takes a while, but they seed plenty of enemies to shoot in their dumb faces while you hop from web to web, so at least for me, it's not boring.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's only an issue in a couple of his levels, but in a game where you're constantly moving forward and stops are relatively brief, Web Woods in particular feels like everything is screeching to a halt.

But hey I also like Squawks so who cares what I think? :v:

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
haunted halls is the fuckin best and i'm sad the dilapidated library and the ghost of tupac only show up the once

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

But hey I also like Squawks so who cares what I think? :v:

I like Squawks too, I was one of those kids who was like "TAILS CAN FLY HE'S A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN SONIC YEAAAAH."

I kinda felt they went a little too hard on the "purple Squawks" gimmick in DKC3, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think the hilarious thing about how bad Quawks is as an animal buddy is that he didn't get named until after Donkey Kong Country 3. Both the guide for DKC2 and DKC3 just list him as "Squawks' purple cousin". I mean, I don't get the point of him at all. Was Rare trying out different improvements for Squawks and settled on the one we ultimately got, but then some random asshat just could not let go of Quawks' abilities for some reason and they decided to appease said asshat? I'll give credit to DKC3 for trying to do something more with him, but we'll get there when we do.

Anyhew, I like Web Woods as well. Yes, I agree that it feels way too long and the bonus levels are hidden behind some hot bullshit, but I enjoy it. Gusty Glade, on the other hand, can go choke on a bag of dicks. Mostly because of Rattly and how wonky he is to control with his bouncing for me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the hilarious thing about how bad Quawks is as an animal buddy is that he didn't get named until after Donkey Kong Country 3. Both the guide for DKC2 and DKC3 just list him as "Squawks' purple cousin". I mean, I don't get the point of him at all. Was Rare trying out different improvements for Squawks and settled on the one we ultimately got, but then some random asshat just could not let go of Quawks' abilities for some reason and they decided to appease said asshat? I'll give credit to DKC3 for trying to do something more with him, but we'll get there when we do.

squawks is just really allergic to honey and was feeling a little under the weather after the last boss fight

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

AradoBalanga posted:

Anyhew, I like Web Woods as well. Yes, I agree that it feels way too long and the bonus levels are hidden behind some hot bullshit, but I enjoy it. Gusty Glade, on the other hand, can go choke on a bag of dicks. Mostly because of Rattly and how wonky he is to control with his bouncing for me.

Someone came up with the idea for a Squawks level where he wouldn't be able to truly fly and then they changed it to purple because it would be confusing and unintuitive to make the player have to learn whether or not Squawks can fly each time he's encountered.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Artix posted:

Not one, two! I found out when I went back to get everything that they do in fact pull the trick with Kannon twice. At least the second one is significantly easier to pull off.

These were the last two Kremkoins I found out of the whole game. The reward... was more pain :argh:

I swear I'm the only one who likes the beehive levels.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

These were the last two Kremkoins I found out of the whole game. The reward... was more pain :argh:

I swear I'm the only one who likes the beehive levels.

the only bad level archetype in this game is the ice cavern because it's so visually monotonous, even more so than the bramble levels

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: K. Rool's Keep :siren:

As promised, here's the video that was supposed to be for this week anyway. :v: Not sure if I'm going to do double update next week or no, Animal Antics and the final boss isn't exactly much of a video on their own.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Squitter is the best animal buddy, but Web Woods shows the limitations of building a level for him. When you can explore the level so thoroughly with web platforms, it becomes hard to hide bonus levels and DK coins, hence the questionable placement of all of them.

Also, I had no idea that there was a unique name for Purple Squawks, let alone one that came after the last SNES DKC game.

Looper posted:

the ghost of tupac
He's not dead, dude

Post second update edit: If you press down while being carried by the wind, your trajectory will slow down. It makes Windy Well quite a bit easier.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like playing as diddy more because he's noticeably faster than dixie

Y-Hat posted:

I think Squitter is the best animal buddy, but Web Woods shows the limitations of building a level for him. When you can explore the level so thoroughly with web platforms, it becomes hard to hide bonus levels and DK coins, hence the questionable placement of all of them.

i'm wondering if an exploration-based level like that lovely water maze in tropical freeze could have worked for squitter, though i'm not really sure how you'd manage that in the snes dkc engine

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So at some point while I was talking with Artix, I decided to take a peek into the very small world of DKC2 romhacking. The editor is interesting but lacks some major features like foreground tile or collision layer modification. It is, however, able to modify any sprite or object into another and you can also edit the internal properties of those objects. I've been working on a couple levels in my spare time and finished a quick and dirty Toxic Tower mod.

Artix refused to play it on camera so instead I recorded it on my own.

It's a little more challenging than the original but I don't think by much. I tried to be fair by making the DK barrels more accessible or by adding that invincibility barrel in the squawks section so the player could speed past a time-consuming part and have more time for the Squitter part.

If nothing else, making this level taught me how the majority of barrel cannons work and I was able to document them, so at least something good came from it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The rising floor will kill the Zingers in the bonus stage, but it won't count towards the amount you need to get the Kremcoin.

EDIT: ^That's really interesting FPzero. I saw a couple weeks back you tried you did the Squawks section of Animal Antics with Squitter as well. Are you thinking of making a hack?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 4, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

gently caress Toxic Tower. It is among my least favorite levels in the game. Rattly's section was a nightmare for younger me, with messing up jumps by either overshooting a platform or bouncing into a Zinger. And then you get Squawks and completely trivialize the entire level's gimmick by flying through it quickly, just to make all your suffering pointless. It is a bad level and FPZero's attempt to hack it is nice to see, but really does not do much to make it less painfully agonizing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what's the boss of the GBA version?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EDIT: ^That's really interesting FPzero. I saw a couple weeks back you tried you did the Squawks section of Animal Antics with Squitter as well. Are you thinking of making a hack?

Doubtful. Time requirements aside, the editor is not really powerful enough to do true romhacks. You can't modify actual level terrain, meaning your limited to only changing enemies and objects within the established levels. I'll probably keep messing around with it though, it's interesting to me to learn the ins and outs of games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

So at some point while I was talking with Artix, I decided to take a peek into the very small world of DKC2 romhacking. The editor is interesting but lacks some major features like foreground tile or collision layer modification. It is, however, able to modify any sprite or object into another and you can also edit the internal properties of those objects. I've been working on a couple levels in my spare time and finished a quick and dirty Toxic Tower mod.

Artix refused to play it on camera so instead I recorded it on my own.

It's a little more challenging than the original but I don't think by much. I tried to be fair by making the DK barrels more accessible or by adding that invincibility barrel in the squawks section so the player could speed past a time-consuming part and have more time for the Squitter part.

It looks like you just turned it into Animal Antics 2.0, which I really don't consider a good thing. The Rambi section at the start looks really obnoxious, Rattly and Squawks are basically unchanged, and the Squitter section looks really slow with a side of "I blocked off the bonus, now you HAVE to play this part of the level, fucker."

:shrug:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No, the bonus is accessible, I just didn't go for it. And yeah, it's mostly unchanged because there's really not much I could do with the sections. Getting Rambi to move vertically required many barrels and I didn't have enough objects to use so he was cut short.

Eh. It's not great but I blame editor limitations more than anything else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is probably well-known, but Castle Crush is an incredibly glitchy stage. It's pretty surprising it accounts for the transformation into Rambi when you consider how easy it is to break it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D95R9h7Jqw

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Ometeotl posted:

So what's the boss of the GBA version?

Actually, I've never taken a close look at the boss before, so I decided to look him up myself.

It's worse than I imagined.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh my god. What the gently caress was that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

That is what happens when you brute force a square peg into a triangle-shaped hole.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Derek Barona posted:

It looks like something made by the people who did Kingdom O' Magic. Except for the part where it wasn't trying to be funny.

Edit: From what I can tell, the GBA ports of the DKC games had the significant flaw of trying to port all the elements of the original works on a one-to-one basis, rather than breaking those elements down and recombining them in a manner more suited to a different system. The latter is basically what happened with the Mega Man Zero games, for instance, as an evolution of the Mega Man X series. Or similarly compare (from the Castlevania series) Harmony of Dissonance with Aria of Sorrow.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 5, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

reminds me of this boss fight in Mischief Makers. only, you know, not fun.

at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Actually, I've never taken a close look at the boss before, so I decided to look him up myself.

those dk64 sound effects are killing me

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Blind Sally posted:

reminds me of this boss fight in Mischief Makers. only, you know, not fun.

at all.

That's because Mischief Makers is by definition an amazing and awesome game except for dash-boosting segments, and therefore anything that compares itself to it will be inherently inferior for trying.

The fact that... thing... was also a steaming pile of crap didn't help, either.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blastinus posted:

They appear to have attended the same school of art design that resulted in the Altered Beast GBA game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Having only watched the first video, the music in Cog Jog is definitely from the DKC Floating Walkway caves. (I just realized there are like, three types of cave in that game: Actual caves, the walkways and then the mines.)

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...
Yeah, it's this song in particular - 'Life in the Mines'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcklfVCEAcg

The temple one you're thinking of is 'Voices of the Temple'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah0d1asVhMQ

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure DKCR's map is an updated map from DKC1. Jungle and Beach are the Kongo Jungle, Ruins and Mines are Monkey Mines, Forest is Vine Valley, Cliff is a melted down Gorilla Glacier, and Factory is a rebuilt Kremkroc Industries. It's pretty cool.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Clearly DK needs a toy factory to fight all those Mario Mini's.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blastinus posted:

That's the real DKC2 for Game Boy Advance? It looks and sounds like a Vietnamese knockoff, right down to the rehashed Kleaver sprites. Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for letting this see the light of day.

I always thought of the Factory world as being set up by the Tikis, not put there by DK. And the purpose, of course, is to smash the banana horde.

Good remix of Fear Factory aside, I think it's kind of a wasted opportunity to saddle Kenji Yamamoto with mostly remixed music from DKC1. He made some good tracks for the Metroid Prime trilogy. MP2 had the Agon Wastes music and the Quadraxis and Dark Samus battle themes, and MP3 had the Rundas and Gandrayda battle themes- all of which were excellent.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

That's the real DKC2 for Game Boy Advance? It looks and sounds like a Vietnamese knockoff, right down to the rehashed Kleaver sprites. Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for letting this see the light of day.
Yes. And guess what? They do it all over again for DKC3's GBA port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh poo poo, DK's hosed now.

• Locked thread