Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
A LGS here in SoCal is running a "non-unique" tournament end of the month. No unique pilots. No unique upgrade cards.

What do you think people would be running? Personally, I just imagine tons of swarms; Ties, BBBBZ, etc. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Weirdneal posted:

A LGS here in SoCal is running a "non-unique" tournament end of the month. No unique pilots. No unique upgrade cards.

What do you think people would be running? Personally, I just imagine tons of swarms; Ties, BBBBZ, etc. Thoughts?

Yeah, lots of swarms and swarm-type lists.

For rebels: B-Wings, T-70s, and Zs. TLT Y-Wings will probably show up, too. Unlikely to see generic large-based ships.

For imperials: TIE swarms, TIE/fo with comm relay and/or Juke. Accuracy corrected TIE/adv. Wouldn't be surprised to see some Royal Guard ties decked out as standard interceptors with PTL, title, stealth device, and autothrusters. Brave souls may try Firesprays, but they'll get eaten alive.

For scum: All the Y-Wings. ALL OF THEM. With TLT. Also Z95s (with and without feedback array) and the occasional Khirax

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wrote some words about X-Wing. Mostly it's about how I got into the hobby and the review is meant largely for people that aren't into X-Wing :)

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Nice article. You've kinda piqued my interest in reading one dedicated to STAW.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tacopocalypse posted:

Nice article. You've kinda piqued my interest in reading one dedicated to STAW.

Just read Otisburg's posts in the STAW thread. It goes from gleeful enthusiasm to, well, you'll see. :)

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
More perspectives the better. Kind of like asking your grandparents "Where were you when JFK was shot?"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tacopocalypse posted:

More perspectives the better. Kind of like asking your grandparents "Where were you when JFK was shot?"

I did that once. My grandma said muttered something about a glassy pole and changed the subjet.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, lots of swarms and swarm-type lists.

For rebels: B-Wings, T-70s, and Zs. TLT Y-Wings will probably show up, too. Unlikely to see generic large-based ships.

For imperials: TIE swarms, TIE/fo with comm relay and/or Juke. Accuracy corrected TIE/adv. Wouldn't be surprised to see some Royal Guard ties decked out as standard interceptors with PTL, title, stealth device, and autothrusters. Brave souls may try Firesprays, but they'll get eaten alive.

For scum: All the Y-Wings. ALL OF THEM. With TLT. Also Z95s (with and without feedback array) and the occasional Khirax

I don't own enough ships to run my own swarm, so what's a potential non-unique ship swarm killer I could run in the tournament? Would putting Assault Missiles on Z95s make sense?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
After a tumultuous coupla days, we're back on track.

So, apart from a dismal store championships showing at the last try, my record in "official" (read: tournament or store league) settings is actually pretty good, which to me means one of three things:
a) most local people are bad
b) the lists I've been running are very strong
c) I'm just pretty good

I'm not sure which it is, yet. I feel like I still make a colossal amount of silly mistakes, and I routinely forget stuff to the point where I have to write on my hand things like "DECLOAK, KALLUS, PALPATINE, FCS, CLOAK, FOCUS" just so I don't forget what the gently caress I'm doing. I've been struggling the most against Black Squadron Crack Shot miniswarm + ace, which is incidentally the list a good friend plays, and I feel like it's a puzzle that's half-solved for me and I still just can't get it. At the meeting we had for the upcoming store league last night, one of the older players singled me out as being new, as well, which I reflexively took personally based on the tone of the discussion and the point he was driving at. I forgot about it because I'm not actually a six-year-old kid, I just act like one sometimes, but in the moment I wanted to be like "gently caress you, too, dude."

OTOH I went 4-0 and won league last month, I won the midnight madness tourney held at a FLGS, and I'm off to a 2-0 start in store league for Feb/March (they combined us into two months, because we have 22 entrants and 6 matches to play). I also feel like my flying has improved to the point where I'm not making rookie mistakes (flying Han off the board) or just out-thinking myself. Plus, I feel like I'm much better equipped to identify what is good and bad in a given list quickly, and exploit that knowledge in my own listbuilding or when contending with the list of another player.

I think the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm probably okay at the game, I play decent lists, and I'm perhaps slightly better than the average player in the area. Totaled up, you get a quiet little run of success.

List chat!

quote:

WOP WOP WOP WOP (Whisper, Omega Leader, Palpatine feat. Captain Yorr)
(Squad theme here)

Whisper (41)
TIE Phantom (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Agent Kallus (2)
Fire Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Omega Leader (26)
TIE/fo (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Captain Yorr (32)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (24)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total: 99

Yorr steals stress from Whisper in the event of a non-title TLT stressbot, or something similar, and also frees up Omega Leader and Whisper to redmove liberally. I see a lot of people hide the shuttle when playing VFP or similar lists; I don't. Too many red dice going unused in that case, and the shuttle can still Focus and Target Lock. Fly slow, choose an engagement, 2-turn in when it's time to fight. Whisper shreds people with Kallus and Palpatine on her side; Omega Leader is still a nightmare to fight against 1v1, so people throw 2+ ships at him while Whisper goes to work. Against swarms, Whisper stays clear, decloaking defensively and eating up their bad dials from advantageous angles. The shuttle blocks or gives her the K-turn as an actual option. Whisper can easily kill a TIE every single turn she's shooting.

Pancakes + ace are a hard matchup to win but doable. Kallus the pancake and abuse Palpatine to stay alive. Kill the ace with Omega Leader and Whisper, then focus fire from all three ships on the pancake until it's burnt down. Han is probably the pancake I fear most, or a Vader Decimator, but Vadermators have to make my life easier (killing themselves) to shove damage through on Whisper, and she still has those two shields. Not as crippling as Soontir.

Haven't played against Brobots yet. I imagine this is nightmare mode for this list. Not looking forward to it.

Lots of variations on the Palpshuttle + stuff lists, including Whisper and OLeader, but the version I saw run locally didn't take FCS in order to get in a three-point bid, and I just don't think that's necessary - I'd rather go back to 99 points and have the option to modify with a Target Lock.

EDIT: wow a variation on this list was literally posted last page. I'm bad at posting. I do think that Yorr gives you a little more flexibility - for both aces - than just giving OLeader the Stealth Device does; Whisper having the option to K-Turn is incredible, because when played normally she effectively can't without potentially risking death. I'm interested to see opinions. Like, do you think Jammer and one point of bid are better than having K-Turns and target locks available to Whisper? Do you think OLeader absolutely needs the Stealth Device in this list? I could be swayed in any direction, I think, I just like Yorr + FCS the most.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 3, 2016

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Question on this list: For Whisper, wouldn't Stygium Particle Accel be a better mod for durability? I haven't used Whisper so don't have any experience, myself.

Exactly what Tekopo said.

Whisper wants to shoot first because after shooting he has four Green Dice and a Focus token (in addition to Sensor Jammer/Kallus/Palp that he would normally have) that's why I go with the 2pt initiative bid. Whisper in this list is incredibly hard to remove with lower PS pilots.

Stygium would help with the higher PS pilots, but you'd be giving up so much. You lose damage output because you'd have to spend a turn cloaking, instead of shooting, AND you become more predictable because you aren't decloaking every turn. If there is a higher PS enemy pilot, it's almost always only one, and it's just a game of using the rest of your list to take out the higher PS enemy while Whisper does his thing with the lower PS pilots.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Exactly what Tekopo said.

Whisper wants to shoot first because after shooting he has four Green Dice and a Focus token (in addition to Sensor Jammer/Kallus/Palp that he would normally have) that's why I go with the 2pt initiative bid. Whisper in this list is incredibly hard to remove with lower PS pilots.

Stygium would help with the higher PS pilots, but you'd be giving up so much. You lose damage output because you'd have to spend a turn cloaking, instead of shooting, AND you become more predictable because you aren't decloaking every turn. If there is a higher PS enemy pilot, it's almost always only one, and it's just a game of using the rest of your list to take out the higher PS enemy while Whisper does his thing with the lower PS pilots.

gently caress yeah XXX :smuggo:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Strobe posted:

I flew against an XXX list with WOP WOP WOP and won.*

*it was three T-70s

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

guts and bolts posted:

After a tumultuous coupla days, we're back on track.

So, apart from a dismal store championships showing at the last try, my record in "official" (read: tournament or store league) settings is actually pretty good, which to me means one of three things:
a) most local people are bad
b) the lists I've been running are very strong
c) I'm just pretty good

I'm not sure which it is, yet. I feel like I still make a colossal amount of silly mistakes, and I routinely forget stuff to the point where I have to write on my hand things like "DECLOAK, KALLUS, PALPATINE, FCS, CLOAK, FOCUS" just so I don't forget what the gently caress I'm doing. I've been struggling the most against Black Squadron Crack Shot miniswarm + ace, which is incidentally the list a good friend plays, and I feel like it's a puzzle that's half-solved for me and I still just can't get it. At the meeting we had for the upcoming store league last night, one of the older players singled me out as being new, as well, which I reflexively took personally based on the tone of the discussion and the point he was driving at. I forgot about it because I'm not actually a six-year-old kid, I just act like one sometimes, but in the moment I wanted to be like "gently caress you, too, dude."

OTOH I went 4-0 and won league last month, I won the midnight madness tourney held at a FLGS, and I'm off to a 2-0 start in store league for Feb/March (they combined us into two months, because we have 22 entrants and 6 matches to play). I also feel like my flying has improved to the point where I'm not making rookie mistakes (flying Han off the board) or just out-thinking myself. Plus, I feel like I'm much better equipped to identify what is good and bad in a given list quickly, and exploit that knowledge in my own listbuilding or when contending with the list of another player.

I think the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm probably okay at the game, I play decent lists, and I'm perhaps slightly better than the average player in the area. Totaled up, you get a quiet little run of success.

List chat!

Yorr steals stress from Whisper in the event of a non-title TLT stressbot, or something similar, and also frees up Omega Leader and Whisper to redmove liberally. I see a lot of people hide the shuttle when playing VFP or similar lists; I don't. Too many red dice going unused in that case, and the shuttle can still Focus and Target Lock. Fly slow, choose an engagement, 2-turn in when it's time to fight. Whisper shreds people with Kallus and Palpatine on her side; Omega Leader is still a nightmare to fight against 1v1, so people throw 2+ ships at him while Whisper goes to work. Against swarms, Whisper stays clear, decloaking defensively and eating up their bad dials from advantageous angles. The shuttle blocks or gives her the K-turn as an actual option. Whisper can easily kill a TIE every single turn she's shooting.

Pancakes + ace are a hard matchup to win but doable. Kallus the pancake and abuse Palpatine to stay alive. Kill the ace with Omega Leader and Whisper, then focus fire from all three ships on the pancake until it's burnt down. Han is probably the pancake I fear most, or a Vader Decimator, but Vadermators have to make my life easier (killing themselves) to shove damage through on Whisper, and she still has those two shields. Not as crippling as Soontir.

Haven't played against Brobots yet. I imagine this is nightmare mode for this list. Not looking forward to it.

Lots of variations on the Palpshuttle + stuff lists, including Whisper and OLeader, but the version I saw run locally didn't take FCS in order to get in a three-point bid, and I just don't think that's necessary - I'd rather go back to 99 points and have the option to modify with a Target Lock.

EDIT: wow a variation on this list was literally posted last page. I'm bad at posting. I do think that Yorr gives you a little more flexibility - for both aces - than just giving OLeader the Stealth Device does; Whisper having the option to K-Turn is incredible, because when played normally she effectively can't without potentially risking death. I'm interested to see opinions. Like, do you think Jammer and one point of bid are better than having K-Turns and target locks available to Whisper? Do you think OLeader absolutely needs the Stealth Device in this list? I could be swayed in any direction, I think, I just like Yorr + FCS the most.

You are in the triangle right? Our meta is pretty good. You came into the meta at an odd time when some people are taking time off waiting for new releases and others are playing silly builds since the meta hasn't changed a lot post worlds.

Edit: I'd imagine a lot of the best players avoid midnight tournaments at game theory because...it's game theory at midnight

alg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 3, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

alg posted:

You are in the triangle right? Our meta is pretty good. You came into the meta at an odd time when some people are taking time off waiting for new releases and others are playing silly builds since the meta hasn't changed a lot post worlds.

Word. I don't mean to disparage anyone - it's more that I'm not sure how seriously to take my own success. I myself haven't been running like heaverlist.txt or TLT spam, but the lack of seeing it elsewhere was throwing me off. I hadn't considered the "everyone is basically sandbagging" explanation. For what it's worth, the lists I've played against with WOP are much more immediately "competitive" than some of the stuff I've flown against with Poe/Red Ace/Y-Wing; I haven't flown opposite anything I'd consider a joke list, or blatantly out of meta, other than an A-Wing miniswarm, and I routinely beat the other players who started X-Wing at around the same time I did. Some of that is definitely attributable to :spergin: on my part, but I feel like I'm acquitting myself okay. I'm not sure why I'm worried about it, except that I want to have a decent showing at the next store championships, and I have no idea what to expect there. I have it on good authority that Lone Wolf Biggs will make an appearance.

EDIT: The GT Midnight tournament was small but featured a solid Thug Lyfe player and a couple guys who strike me as pretty good, but one of them was drunk as hell. I'm more speaking about the store league games I've been running, and casuals at AE and GA. I'm not in GT very much, because every day seems like a Magic tournament and I feel bad taking tables. :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Don't feel bad about doing anything at GT. Except maybe being there. That place suuuucks

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is Game Theory the place we played at for the regionals last year? Because I hope we won't play there again this year. Random tables were mashed together and some people had to play with literal black holes that would suck any ship in. They had a nice cookout with hot dogs, I guess.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Strobe posted:

Yeah, PS 10 Wes can be an issue, especially with R3-A2. Though my current XXX list (which is the only XXX list I've flown against) only goes to PS9.

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Wes Janson (29)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

The list tears up everything else though.

Edit: I guess I could get rid of Autothrusters to add VI to Poe and Wes, and add Adaptability to Wedge and have everyone be PS10. Man, that would be gross..

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Is Game Theory the place we played at for the regionals last year? Because I hope we won't play there again this year. Random tables were mashed together and some people had to play with literal black holes that would suck any ship in. They had a nice cookout with hot dogs, I guess.

Yup

It was also about 7,000 degrees

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Trying to decide what to fly for this weekend-ish, I got league night thursday and my first store champ ever on saturday. I really just want a C3PO card.

What should I pair with my 2 aces:

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

26 points free, should I add...

2 Z-95s and a 2 pt init bid? (I've actually flown this... twice, not enough to comment on its quality)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Or a Stresshog and no init bid?

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Or a A-Wing blocker with a little extra pepper and a 1 pt init bid?

Arvel Crynyd (23) (You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack.)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Intimidation (2) (While you are touching an enemy ship, reduce that ship's agility value by 1.)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

I also considered Gemmer Sojan as a A-Wing blocker, +1 Agility when in R1 of an enemy ship sounds well suited for a blocker, also gives me a 2 pt Init bid.

Any ideas?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I would say stressbot for sure. It punches above its points just by being a threat-in-being dictating how a Soontir or the like gets to fly.

My store just let me know they're going to have 7 of the new Bespin/DSII mats for the Store Champs event Saturday. I printed up special raffle tickets and table number labels. This poo poo is going to at least look swell. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are you raffling off the new mats? Or using them as prizes? Because if it's the latter, people seem to enjoy getting to play on them for the finals rounds. It also showcases them, etc. etc.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I want one of those DSII mats so bad. I think it will be a while before we see them down under though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you raffling off the new mats? Or using them as prizes? Because if it's the latter, people seem to enjoy getting to play on them for the finals rounds. It also showcases them, etc. etc.

Using them as play surfaces! She'd mentioned selling them at a discount after the event, possibly. I'm going to see about keeping at least a few-several for league nights, since the neoprene is so much nicer than vinyl, maybe offering to pay cost and hang on to them? I'm just stoked that they're apparently going to be in in time to have the event look that much better. Hoping it attracts a few lookie-loos who end up getting bitten by the Wang Bug.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah the playmats are some pretty sweet showcase material. I went with a basic starfield one since I think the others look too busy.

If I wanted a busy one, I'd just get all my kawaii desu magic-sized playmats together and make a play area full of those. :3: It would probably make eyes bleed before asteroid placement's finished.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah the playmats are some pretty sweet showcase material. I went with a basic starfield one since I think the others look too busy.

If I wanted a busy one, I'd just get all my kawaii desu magic-sized playmats together and make a play area full of those. :3: It would probably make eyes bleed before asteroid placement's finished.

I got the starfield one too, but since I've actually played an Epic game or two I really want Bespin now. Argh. I don't actually need two mats, but...

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So I wanted some acrylic templates and tokens but buying official ffg ones on ebay is ridiculously expensive. I also couldn't find any third party options that I liked so I designed a fairly minimalist set of tokens and got them laser cut myself. I'm pretty happy with the end result and I think it was probably cheaper than buying everything from someone else.

Those look freaking awesome, agreed you should take a punt at selling them (although that market might be a bit flooded these days) or put them up on Thingiverse so random punters (like me) can take them to an engineering shop to get cut out :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It surprises me that the official acrylic tokens are still worth so much, but I won't complain. The number of bags of shield tokens I was able to earn got me somewhere around $500 because people were paying upwards of $15/token. It's crazy!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Chill la Chill posted:

It surprises me that the official acrylic tokens are still worth so much, but I won't complain. The number of bags of shield tokens I was able to earn got me somewhere around $500 because people were paying upwards of $15/token. It's crazy!

:catstare: WHY?!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So that 2-ship team furball (Each team member gets 1 ship, 30 points max) is coming up, pretty soon on the 13th. (And I imagine C3PO is going to be in the prize support which will be cool since I have the Falcon now).

I have a team-mate who has lots of ships and is willing to lend me for my half of the team. We're leaning towards imperial, which is what I usually fly anyway.

The ones i'm most considering are:
Omega Ace+PTL+shield Upgrade (27 Points): I can PTL to both focus AND TL on the same turn and use the ability.
Omega Leader+Comms Relay+Juke (30 Points): Can save up the evade if I don't use it for another turn to use for Juke.
Omega Leader+Predator+Shield Upgrade (28 Points) : I'll likely see low PS, so get 1, maybe 2 re-rolls an attack
Omega Leader+Opportunist+Shield Upgrade (29 Points): If their empty I can get an extra die for stress. Good synergy with ability?
Kir Kanos+Royal Guard TIE+Shield Upgrade+Autothrusters (30 Points): Keep at long range and try to ping away

I guess a lot if it depends on the synergy, though I suspect we're not going to get a great synergy anyway with two ships. My team mate keeps going back and forth, considering a bomber or saying we should do two interceptor aces, so I'm not sure.I've been trying to get in contact with them on FB.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They do look really cool, tbh. But I still have enough old shields and new frosted shields to be able to cover my Han + 3Z and corran/Dash (or corran/poe/A) builds with extras. It's cool to be able to put different shield colors on ships so you don't accidentally move one to the other.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

They do look really cool, tbh. But I still have enough old shields and new frosted shields to be able to cover my Han + 3Z and corran/Dash (or corran/poe/A) builds with extras. It's cool to be able to put different shield colors on ships so you don't accidentally move one to the other.

I'm just starting to come to the conclusion Chill is actually just Paul Heaver's dealer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kingcom posted:

I'm just starting to come to the conclusion Chill is actually just Paul Heaver's dealer.

That would be Ira. :3: Or maybe Ron. Ron is retired now and often has hangouts and barbecues at his place, hmmmmm...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Played a big match tonight, 200 points per side. I combined 2 of my lists, and learned exactly why Omega Leader is quite the sumbitch :stare: My first list was this:

quote:

"Howlrunner" (18)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 100

Omega Leader and Zeta Leader feel like a decent tag-team, but Omega ace needed someone to break down some shields before he could truly shine (which he never got to do). Zeta leader tripping his pilot ability at R1 was good times (take a stress, add another attack dice for 4 total, plus a TL and a focus), but I just couldn't seal the deal and it all went down in flames. I flew against a Warden squadron pilot, a stress/ion hog, and an x-wing and tried the joust. Won't make that mistake again :v: Our second game was the big one, and I used this list plus Echo, Tetran Cowall, and Turr Phenir with a pile of upgrades on each of them. That's where OL had his time in the sun, hanging out at R1 of the Falcon while keeping his evade and TL and generally being a nuisance. He broke through the shields and left the Falcon with 2 hull before one of the other B-Wings turned in for a R1 shot and I rolled 3 blank greens. I'm fairly impressed with both squadron leaders, I think I can make a list around those two for some real fun :getin:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There are few things better than the game getting down to (a preferably unhurt) Omega Leader against a single enemy ship and watching their face when they realize that they'll never get to modify dice ever again.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

There are few things better than the game getting down to (a preferably unhurt) Omega Leader against a single enemy ship and watching their face when they realize that they'll never get to modify dice ever again.

"I have you now."

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So I came up with two lists using only OT ships and keeping it to 100. I wanted to create sides that would be a challenge to both Reb and Imp:

Impstars (99)

Mauler Mithel (21) - TIE Fighter
Determination (1), Hull Upgrade (3)

Night Beast (18) - TIE Fighter
Hull Upgrade (3)

Carnor Jax (35) - TIE Interceptor
Push The Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Targeting Computer (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

Tetran Cowell (25) - TIE Interceptor
Wired (1)

The Imps are for getting in super close against the shielded rebel ships and utilize their maneuverability to get out of their arcs. The Rebs have this:

Wedge Leads the Way (100)

Wedge Antilles (36) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), R2-D2 (4)

Garven Dreis (31) - X-Wing
R2 Astromech (1), Proton Torpedoes (4)

Horton Salm (33) - Y-Wing
Ion Cannon Turret (5), R5-D8 (3)

Wedge is obviously the pointman, while the Y-Wing is there to be a nuisance to control the Imps maneuvers.

This is my first real attempt at list building, using only what I have available from what I got, no proxies.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

The "OL gets to do what?!" conversation is fun to have. I guess nobody here has played that pilot combo yet against the guy I was playing tonight, and that was probably a rude introduction tailing the Falcon like that...but the Falcon ended up killing OL, so it ended well. OL seems to get an enormous boost with his actions, with 2 of his 4 actions being permanent until either used or discarded (evade or TL). His PS seems high enough to largely know whether or not you want to bail out of someone's arc or try to feed them some modified red dice, too.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is my first real attempt at list building, using only what I have available from what I got, no proxies.

What do you own exactly?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

kingcom posted:

What do you own exactly?

TFA Core Set, OT Core Set, Xwing, YWing, BWing expansion, TIE Phantom and Defender expansion, Imperial Aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Lord of Hats posted:

B-Wing versus Soontir, and they realize they don't get to roll a single red dice ever again.

• Locked thread