Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm in a weird zone where there was one republican candidate I would vote for over Hillary. I can't remember what his name was because he's not going to win their nomination anyway, which means if Bernie doesn't win the democratic nomination I don't know what I'm going to do.

As for last night I liked most of the jokes in the Zika segment, except the anal one which seemed really out of place. Chang continues to be weird at the end of every segment. And appreciating the non famous guests who are just cool members of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Just tell me the one GOP candidate you'd vote over Hillary isn't Kasich.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

And appreciating the non famous guests who are just cool members of society.

Uh, I hope you're kidding. She was directly involved in the housing fraud by Wall Street for years while claiming she totes didn't know what was going on despite her boss being one of the few who actually got convicted. She then was a superbly lovely failed politician who managed to get curb stomped in an election she tried to get her Wall Street backers to buy for her by outspending the opponent almost 3 to 1, only to lose the election by a 62 point margin.

Even if you didn't know any of this you still just saw the same interview I did where she literally said girls choosing to become computer programmers "I really believe is the most important domestic issue of our nation's time". And Trevor largely let her get away with such an absolute bullshit statement.

E: Oh I can excuse other people not knowing this because

quote:

In January 2013, Saujani's Wikipedia page was heavily edited to remove traces of Saujani working for Wall Street firms such as hedge funds. Her campaign admitted to this,[33] arguing they did it because they disagreed with the stated facts.[34]

:laffo:

Botnit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 3, 2016

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Gyges posted:

Why can't people just admit that Hillary actually is an American liberal? She's not the model liberal, but the idea that she's just a DINO looking to satiate her power fetish is ridiculous. There's shitloads more to actually attack her on than stupid Shillary the stealth Republican weaksauce.

Hillary Clinton is a neocon. This article argues the point with much more sophistication than I can.

Echo Chamber posted:

Honestly I thought Kasich seemed reasonable when I first saw him in the debates, but realistically I'd vote for HRC (whom I detest -- see above) over him. He worked to defund Planned Parenthood in Ohio, supports the death penalty and calls that consistent with Christian values, voted to prohibit needle exchanges, called Bible stories historical facts in 2010, said that the extent of climate change was unproved, stopped accepting Syrian refugees, had his NRA rating upgraded from F to A in August 2015 (source). I mean the dude is moderate by GOP standards I guess, but he's still an apparent religious zealot who is on board with broader GOP ideology.

Now, that's not to say HRC is a liberal (because she's not), but at the very least I believe that she would nominate liberal-leaning justices to SCOTUS, and the next president will get at least two if not more. That is more important than whatever one president can do.

M_Gargantua posted:

As for last night I liked most of the jokes in the Zika segment, except the anal one which seemed really out of place. Chang continues to be weird at the end of every segment. And appreciating the non famous guests who are just cool members of society.

I thought the anal joke was kinda funny, and I thought most of the intro was pretty meh. And I thought this was Chieng's second best showing behind the segment on voting machines. I guess we had exactly opposite reactions to the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Well ok then 2 things. If Hillary is what passes for a liberal (liberal and democrat are not the same thing) in this country we have some huge loving problems we have some huge loving problems. And in what ways is she not a say-anything power hungry corporate shill? Bill was too, for what it's worth.

Bernie is believable, which at least gives him a leg up even if I wasn't even further to the left than he is.

Bernie owes his credibility to actually backing up words with actions. No one should believe Hillary is going to do poo poo about Wall Street or the healthcare cabals when she's been in big banking's back pocket for decades and was actually on the side of the Republicans in the '90s who were proposing a worse version of what wound up being the mandate poo poo in the ACA. But the guy who doesn't have a superPAC and refuses corporate contributions, you can reasonably expect an effort there.

Pillow Hat posted:

Now, that's not to say HRC is a liberal (because she's not), but at the very least I believe that she would nominate liberal-leaning justices to SCOTUS, and the next president will get at least two if not more. That is more important than whatever one president can do.

If it comes down to Hillary I think we can look forward to a holding pattern as there will almost certainly be 4-8 years of Benghazi / emails / whatever other bullshit the GOP can cook up to gum up the works. Like weekly Obamacare repeal votes / threats to shut down government whenever the opportunity presents itself, times a thousand. On the other hand, at least things probably won't get significantly worse over that period of time.

Hillary: Because look at the alternative, just look at it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 3, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pillow Hat posted:

Hillary Clinton is a neocon. This article argues the point with much more sophistication than I can.
Clinton is probably a hawk. It's unspeakably lovely, but so was Obama, push come to shove.

There is no peace movement. There are no anti-war candidates. That America stop killing people is probably more important to me personally than economic justice, but there are very few other people out there, even on the left, who care.

That article, from what I skimmed, does not suggest that she's conservative on domestic issues. She's a "neocon" only in the sense that she'd probably bomb more random countries. No way to overstate how terrible that is, but most people won't care. And honestly, based on her voting record, she's as liberal as they come on domestic issues so she won't be a total loss. She'll be another Obama, for better and worse. She's certainly not a stealth Republican or anything like that, and it's pretty disingenuous to suggest it.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 3, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bernie better have a stellar vp because is is drat old. I give him 2 years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I would be down for Elizabeth Warren as a VP.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Eiba posted:

That article, from what I skimmed, does not suggest that she's conservative on domestic issues. She's a "neocon" only in the sense that she'd probably bomb more random countries.

You basically just defined neoconservatism.

:ninja: edit

raditts posted:

I would be down for Elizabeth Warren as a VP.

gently caress yeah, been saying this for a while now. Sanders and Warren are the only two politicians I really care about.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The problem with Vice President Elizabeth Warren is that then we lose Senator Elizabeth Warren at a time where we are at a real loss for good senators.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GreenNight posted:

Have you seen him run?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Botnit posted:

Uh, I hope you're kidding. She was directly involved in the housing fraud by Wall Street for years while claiming she totes didn't know what was going on despite her boss being one of the few who actually got convicted. She then was a superbly lovely failed politician who managed to get curb stomped in an election she tried to get her Wall Street backers to buy for her by outspending the opponent almost 3 to 1, only to lose the election by a 62 point margin.

Yeah I knew nothing except for the "Woman supporting teaching girls to code". All rhetoric past that was expected. "Girls programming" is something I can support without knowing that she's actually an awful person.

Eiba posted:

Clinton is probably a hawk. It's unspeakably lovely, but so was Obama, push come to shove.

There is no peace movement. There are no anti-war candidates. That America stop killing people is probably more important to me personally than economic justice, but there are very few other people out there, even on the left, who care.

I'm writing a paper under my political science professor about how the US's use of "precision strikes" is while still awful marginally less awful then old open warfare or doing nothing at all. From a strategic standpoint America is the only military game in town.

Echo Chamber posted:

It wasn't, but I dislike them all so much its hard to tell them apart.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm disappointed that none of the late night shows have quoted from the book of Trump:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I knew nothing except for the "Woman supporting teaching girls to code". All rhetoric past that was expected. "Girls programming" is something I can support without knowing that she's actually an awful person.

Yeah I didn't mean be half as snide as I was, I just expected to come to the thread to see other people making GBS threads on her because of her history and the ridiculous hyperbole she was spittin' on the show. In NYC she's pretty well known as a huge dirt bag for poo poo like I already posted and things like this

quote:

Saujani's campaign mailed a flyer to voters implicating Maloney as one of eight House members investigated for taking donations from special interests,[28] which was not the case.

Three things to note about this: #1 she chose to mail those out less than 2 days after Maloney's husband died, #2 more importantly her (Saujani's) campaign was literally being funded by Wall Street and Zuckerbergs. #3 Maloney was so ethical about donations that she seriously shut down her donations the day they found out her husband died because she was worried people might feel obligated to donate to her. Saujani is human garbage in comparison.

She's so clearly trying to shroud herself in some easy to pander cause she can try rallying herself a new campaign with and it's sickening.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 3, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Botnit posted:

Yeah I didn't mean be half as snide as I was, I just expected to come to the thread to see other people making GBS threads on her because of her history and the ridiculous hyperbole she was spittin' on the show. In NYC she's pretty well known as a huge dirt bag for poo poo like I already posted and things like this

I'd just never heard of her before, although I did find her declaration that she is championing this cause while knowing nothing about coding herself to be a bit dubious, kind of like that Simpsons episode where it's revealed that Krusty is illiterate despite being a spokesperson for child literacy. But this thing in particular seems like a net positive, so whatever I guess.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was just hoping more people don't buy into the "Kasich is the lesser evil of the GOP race" meme precisely for the reasons mentioned above.

Also, Franchesca Ramsey is a nice addition to the Nightly team.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't do more about the 6 coinflips, that is easy joke material right there about the democratic process.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, Franchesca Ramsey is a nice addition to the Nightly team.

I have a feeling that she's going to replace Ricky Velez as the youth voice on the show, and that's a great thing. She was cool and funny.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Ha ha ha ha ha what the gently caress! Peter Bergen's laugh is ridiculous!

Loved that interview. I wanna read that book ASAP.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillow Hat posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha what the gently caress! Peter Bergen's laugh is ridiculous!

I love how he busted out laughing after his own really bad and only half told joke and just kept going for like 30 seconds.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i loved the roy wood piece tonight

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yeah me too. Holy poo poo, that was hilarious. Kinda edgy for basic cable too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I was actually reading a similar piece last week. Bella Moretti was talking about all the ridiculous racist poo poo she has to put up with, like the director putting all of her male co-stars in confederate flag shirts.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I was actually reading a similar piece last week. Bella Moretti was talking about all the ridiculous racist poo poo she has to put up with, like the director putting all of her male co-stars in confederate flag shirts.

I haven't seen past the first segment yet but I wanted to see what kind of racist production this could be referring to so I just Googled her and welp, glad I didn't do that on my work laptop. :chanpop:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Holy poo poo Trevor has died on stage the last 2 nights, especially during the beginning monologues. The Groundhog Day bomb and him repeating it because he was frustrated that he didn't get the reaction he wanted was cringeworthy.

This is getting Nightly Show bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Chromatic posted:

The Groundhog Day bomb and him repeating it because he was frustrated that he didn't get the reaction he wanted was cringeworthy.

I'm not exactly sure you got the joke...

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Oh was it the Bill Murray movie reference? Fair enough, I got that wrong.

I'm still extremely disappointed with the new show.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-jon-stewart-was-so-much-better-at-hosting-the-daily-show-than-trevor-noah-2016-1

^ Good article.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chromatic posted:

The Groundhog Day bomb and him repeating it because he was frustrated that he didn't get the reaction he wanted was cringeworthy.

Took me a hot second to figure out what was going on and I just knew a whole lot of people were going to be very confused by that gag.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I seriously took that as him repeating it out of frustration because it got a lukewarm reaction.

I just really, really miss Jon Stewart. Not just because he was funny, but he really could make me feel better about the loving awful shittiness of the world and politics. Noah doesn't do any of that and I'm not sure he ever can.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chromatic posted:

Oh was it the Bill Murray movie reference? Fair enough, I got that wrong.

I'm still extremely disappointed with the new show.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-jon-stewart-was-so-much-better-at-hosting-the-daily-show-than-trevor-noah-2016-1

^ Good article.
That sums up the problem with the current show. Noah has no teeth. It's the TV equivalent of a Quaker popcorn cake.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

It's almost like you could put the show on E! and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't know. I miss Jon a lot, too, because he had the gravitas and he could really get pissed and help us work through the visceral anger at the stupid poo poo, but there's something about Noah's approach to just LAUGHING at stupid poo poo so stupid that it should be LAUGHABLE and not taken seriously by anybody that's valid.

I mean, there is so much bullshit out there that should never be taken seriously but constantly is by the 24-hour news cycle, and pointing and laughing at it's bullshittery rather than getting frustrated and exasperated by it can be effective, too.

I saw Colbert say something recently about what he enjoys about working the Late Show is that he's no longer under any obligation to carry a sword and shield to go after an interview subject he would formerly have been expected to mock. On one hand, I totally understand why that would be a huge goddamned relief for him, it also underscores why his show is fun but no longer required viewing, and it underscores what I really, really miss from him. Jon and Stephen were always this double-shot of 'oh, thank god somebody else is seeing all this.'

Maybe it's the evolution, though. You spend 9+ years getting pissed at poo poo with Jon and Stephen, and it's old hat enough now that maybe we can just start laughing it out of public favor with Noah - provided he has the time to grow into being as impactful as his predecessor. Assuming he can.

I don't know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Jon Stewart is middle aged, hardened, cynical, and more than a little tired and angry about the whole thing.

Trevor Noah is young, excited, experiencing new highs in his career, and really seeing all the absurdity of the US system for the first time as a novelty.

Expecting them to have similar perspectives just seems silly.

People who grew cynical and snarky with Stewart just aren't going to get that from Noah. Not any time soon, at least. Noah can't fake it. That would be terrible and condescending. We're still getting the same thing we always got from the Daily Show, a humorous take on the poo poo happening in politics. But we're seeing it from a different perspective. If that perspective isn't interesting or worthwhile to you, fair enough, but a lot of it just feels like basic "change" issues.

Personally, I enjoy Noah's wide eyed take and if I want snark and anger I can go other places for that. I miss Jon Stewart but life goes on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Chromatic posted:

I seriously took that as him repeating it out of frustration because it got a lukewarm reaction.
This says a lot more about the assumptions you're making than about how Trevor Martin is actually doing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm guessing the anger and frustration that Stewart felt and his loyalists seem to miss was a big reason why he quit in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think of it like this.

Jon Stewart was my old friend who when I pissed at something I saw on the news I knew I could call up and he'd be pissed with me and we'd find comfort in our shared anger and a few laughs.

Then Jon moved on with his life and stopped being so angry. I miss him because I still get angry and I miss having that guy to call but I'm glad that he's moved past it.

Now I have this new friend Trevor and we have the same conversations. He's not as angry and sometimes I feel like I'm in a different place than him and I'm not getting what I got from Jon, but also Trevor's lack of anger is kind of refreshing and helps to calm me down sometimes and wonder if maybe I'm being over the top or if there's a healthier way to process this.

Jon moved on with his life and hopefully is less angry. Maybe Trevor can help me get there too. And if not John Oliver will call me on the weekend and we can bitch. Or there's always the angry mob on the internet.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Eiba posted:

Trevor Martin

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Chromatic posted:

Holy poo poo you are dumb. How could you possibly come to that conclusion? :psyduck:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Pillow Hat posted:

Holy poo poo you are dumb. How could you possibly come to that conclusion? :psyduck:

Chromatic posted:

Fair enough, I got that wrong.

Watching it in a fog first thing in the morning on 3 hours sleep probably didn't help, and I've seen Maher do it a couple of times, that's probably where I made a connection.

Sorry for thinking one of your favorite television men is mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh I guarantee Noah probably didn't know what the gag was either until it was explained to him. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in that you're super young or super foreign. Others should be nice and do the same. Let's not be dicks.

• Locked thread