Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

MikeC posted:

Big thanks to Iron Rose for that easier long war mod. It has made all the difference between it being a challenging game vs a self flagellating torture simulator.

That said, I am still scared shitless about this first alien base assault. Its mid august and I have just gotten Gauss tech though I will be about 3 weeks out before I can finish enough gear to send a decently equipped squad. Should I just send my A team now with lasers or wait the extra month for to try and partially equip them with some gauss tech?

I'd say go in now with lasers.

The thing is - and this is why I don't really like Long War - the aliens can easily outpace your advancement even if you're decent at the strategic layer. So while you're waiting 28 days or whatever for your gauss the aliens are getting more hp and, more importantly, more pods on maps. You should get that base over with before things get worse.

I always did a bang up job on the tactical maps in Long War until the mod's extreme stinginess and alien overprogression inevitably lead to a total squad wipe in some 6v18 firefight outside a supply barge. Then I'd usually start over and try again. I like all the added complexity and everything but the rest is just masochistic like you said.

Been about a year since I tried though and never tried this Iron Rose iteration, so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 31, 2022

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know about Long War (never got it to work on my rig), but in vanilla EW killing the Alien Base also globally reduces panic. The mid-game crunch usually has you about to lose one or two countries, if you're dead set on not losing any doing whatever you can to mitigate that is key, and that means taking on that base.

But then again, don't beat yourself up if you lose one or two countries. It's all but inevitable unless you're REALLY lucky on the harder difficulties.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Now I don't want to get all weird and preachy, but I hope we can all remember the good word of Leviticus 19:33-34 while playing this game.

When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Godblesscom.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Judging from streams the lategame armour seems pretty crazy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Pre-loading. Can't wait to have it done and good to go on friday.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

Judging from streams the lategame armour seems pretty crazy.

One is heavy armor that lets you carry a rocket launcher or similar giant single-shot weapon. One's medium armor that lets you carry two different utility items. And one's light armor that only lets you carry a grenade or a utility item, but also lets you dodge and use a grapple, like Skeleton armor.

No word on anything like ghost armors that I've seen... yet.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Speedball posted:

One is heavy armor that lets you carry a rocket launcher or similar giant single-shot weapon. One's medium armor that lets you carry two different utility items. And one's light armor that only lets you carry a grenade or a utility item, but also lets you dodge and use a grapple, like Skeleton armor.

No word on anything like ghost armors that I've seen... yet.

That's the midgame armor. Later on you can get armors that let your troops transform into high cover or walk through walls.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Now I don't want to get all weird and preachy, but I hope we can all remember the good word of Leviticus 19:33-34 while playing this game.

When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Godblesscom.

spotted the ayy lmao sympasizer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally got home and walked through activating my GMG keys. It was weird, it indicated that the first key in my email was no good, so I used the second key, and it told me I was activating the DLC. It then started the preload; then I went back and tried the first key again. It told me it was also activating the DLC.

Bet a dollar when I open this tomorrow the DLC won't work :v:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I am so calling in sick to school tomorrow morning. I don't need to be there, the kids have phones, they can teach themselves.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Klyith posted:

They took a bunch of notes from LW. They took some notes from watching people obsessively play the game and how they broke EU/EW (same as how they added stuff like Meld in EW after seeing the Beaglerush style of ultra-conservative play). I think they even took some notes from the xcom boardgame. The one-use projects that give you a single reward or piece of equipment feel like burning a research card for an ability in that.

I liked what EW did to encourage you to play the game more aggressively. I don't like timed missions; I don't even know if that discourages missions from taking longer (in clock time, not turns.) Confounding Light always took me a bit longer because the penalties for getting it wrong were severe so it ended up taking even longer having to plan soldier loadout/positioning/etc. exactly right. I don't even liked timed segments in platforms or whatever. So yeah, timed missions make me :smith:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The timers are probably more relaxed on lower difficulties, and I'm sure it's easy to just do an ini file to double/remove it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ciaphas posted:

Finally got home and walked through activating my GMG keys. It was weird, it indicated that the first key in my email was no good, so I used the second key, and it told me I was activating the DLC. It then started the preload; then I went back and tried the first key again. It told me it was also activating the DLC.

Bet a dollar when I open this tomorrow the DLC won't work :v:

After feeling stupid and locking myself out of product activation for a few minutes, I put the first key after the second and it locked up Steam. I think the DLC is activated, not sure.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I am really happy that they allowed pre-loading today. It looks like my download will finish just in time for the 5am unlock. I was resigned to waiting until Saturday to play but not anymore!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
After seeing those beagle gifs with all the dudes on overwatch, it made me start dreaming of a multiplayer match where each player is controlling like 100 units on a huge map with a bunch of different control points to capture... it sounds loving awesome.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

klapman posted:

After seeing those beagle gifs with all the dudes on overwatch, it made me start dreaming of a multiplayer match where each player is controlling like 100 units on a huge map with a bunch of different control points to capture... it sounds loving awesome.

Sounds like Overwatch nightmare, sending an XCOM unit to scout out is 100% chance of death

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

I know there are other Goons who preordered at cdkeys.com.
They usually are delivering early, but not this this time for me.
Did you get anything so far? My preorder status is still "This product is a Pre-Order, it will be available here on or slightly before the release date of 5th February 2016" :ohdear: :f5:

https://twitter.com/cdkeyscom/status/695113915903172608

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah just having fart guns that do insane damage and are the best guns so you have to use them.

The not blowing up buildings is just the balance, it can't be completely OP or it'll just get nerfed. Bring some drat rockets or grenades, big whoop.

They were also technically pistols, so you could put grenades or stun launchers in the other hand without penalty.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

jtm33 posted:

I am really happy that they allowed pre-loading today. It looks like my download will finish just in time for the 5am unlock. I was resigned to waiting until Saturday to play but not anymore!

What do you mean by 5 AM unlock?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

In case anyone was wondering, Nuuvem actually came through. My key bought in December is not region-locked, but apparently keys bought since January 25 are.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

What do you mean by 5 AM unlock?

It unlocks at 5am Friday according to this image:

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 4, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jtm33 posted:

Or 10 AM tomorrow with VPN shenanigans and pretending to be Aussie, mate :v:

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Or 10 AM tomorrow with VPN shenanigans and pretending to be Aussie, mate :v:

I don't have to pretend to be Australian!

5am tomorrow is earlier than 10am tomorrow... It will unlock in 11 hours from now, 5am Friday.

This 400 kB/s download speed is making me nervous though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jtm33 posted:

Which aliens correspond with each colour in that map though? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh I seeee, you're Australian a time traveler! Boy was I confused.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

My last shift of the week starts when the VPN would unlock the game for me, Spending eight hours helping people with their internet and not being terrorists freedom fighters is gonna be awful. :911:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
11 hours or so, this is a nice surprise.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

jtm33 posted:

I don't have to pretend to be Australian!

5am tomorrow is earlier than 10am tomorrow... It will unlock in 11 hours from now, 5am Friday.

This 400 kB/s download speed is making me nervous though.

I'm barely going to have it downloaded for the actual EST release, let alone trying any VPN games :smith:

Too bad they didn't send out keys a bit earlier, but it's not like the game is going anywhere.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
^^Generation Internet, we should MP duel for the honor of the German Empire/Entente. A rematch of sorts.

Are there any notable mods other than long war worth checking out at launch?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone missed it, it was posted like 10 pages ago by someone else: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

I followed these steps and now I should be able to play the game at 10am pst, if I don't gently caress anything up + the vpn doesn't die. I suspect it won't be as abused for xcom2 as it was for fallout 4? The hype levels for fallout 4 were off the charts, this seems more niche. Does anyone know if that's really the case?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Thanks! The cdkeys Support answered this exactly, too.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

JosefStalinator posted:

^^Generation Internet, we should MP duel for the honor of the German Empire/Entente. A rematch of sorts.

Only after the WWI total conversion mod :v:

I hope the MP is bigger this time around, I never really gave it a shot in EU/EW but it looks like it could be pretty fun.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
In Australia.

Long arse day.

Get home, ready to preload... GAME UNLOCKS IN 11 HOURS

Very tempted to call in sick tomorrow, but the download will likely take all day tomorrow anyway so it will be ready by the time I finish drinks and get home.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Rougey posted:

In Australia.

Long arse day.

Get home, ready to preload... GAME UNLOCKS IN 11 HOURS

Very tempted to call in sick tomorrow, but the download will likely take all day tomorrow anyway so it will be ready by the time I finish drinks and get home.

Gotta love Aussie internet. I really wish they gave more than a day to pre-load, although it should be just enough time for me.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

jtm33 posted:

Gotta love Aussie internet. I really wish they gave more than a day to pre-load, although it should be just enough time for me.

No poo poo, if I started preloading on Tuesday I'd be set but no............ going to ask the house mate to keep an eye on my computer and make sure the cat doesn't loving TURN IT OFF AGAIN.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think I practiced enough on classic, only played normal before. Was able to get to the 4th month without losing a country, I'm ready.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Rougey posted:

No poo poo, if I started preloading on Tuesday I'd be set but no............ going to ask the house mate to keep an eye on my computer and make sure the cat doesn't loving TURN IT OFF AGAIN.

Cat confirmed as ADVENT infiltrator.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
More weapon tiers, more nuances btw weapon types.. you guys haven't dreamt big enough! A Borderlands gun bonanza mod is what is needed.

Every gun is randomly generated with randomized stats and must be either looted or crafted. There are no attachments loot drops, but rather gun loot drops that may have those attachements. Guns may provide abilities like throwing a grenade upon reloading. Guns may have inbuilt elemental ammo type. Could it possibly ever be balanced? Definitely not.

Nevertheless, it could be fun to mod in some weapons with both strengths and drawbacks that make them a bit more special and unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
My nerves are running high like a kid on christmas. Can't wait to shoot aliens with my squad of native americans and k-pop idols.